• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2013 TRC] South Africa vs. Argentina in Soweto (17/08/2013)

Not having any wingers outside Basson and Habana in the 30-man squad might be an issue though.

I am very pleased with that squad, apart from Ruan Pienaar.

That said, it is the first game, and HM wants to continue the continuity sustained by the Samoa clash.

All in all, quite happy

I am very pleased with that squad, apart from Ruan Pienaar.

That said, it is the first game, and HM wants to continue the continuity sustained by the Samoa clash.

All in all, quite happy

Ja, Ruan and Basson for me are the weak links (how good is it that JdV and Steyn are in fine form!) but with Jano injured and JP out of reckoning for now there isn't much to do but go with consistency in selection.

South Africa
15. Willie le Roux, 14 Bjorn Basson, 13 JJ Engelbrecht, 12 Jean de Villiers (captain), 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Morné Steyn, 9 Ruan Pienaar, 8 Duane Vermeulen, 7 Willem Alberts, 6 Francois Louw, 5 Juandré Kruger, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Jannie du Plessis, 2 Adriaan Strauss, 1 Tendai Mtawarira
Substitutes 16 Bismarck du Plessis, 17 Gurthrö Steenkamp, 18 Coenie Oosthuizen, 19 Flip van der Merwe, 20 Siya Kolisi, 21 Fourie du Preez, 22 Pat Lambie, 23 Jan Serfontein

What would be the SA team? Perhaps something like this:

1 Tendai Mtawarira
2 Adriaan Strauss
3 Jannie du Plessis
4 Eben Etzebeth
5 Flip van der Merwe
6 Siya Kolisi
7 Willem Alberts
8 Francois Louw
9 Ruan Pienaar
10 Morné Steyn/Pat Lambie
11 Bjorn Basson
12 Jean de Villiers (c)
13 JJ Engelbrecht
14 Bryan Habana
15 Willie le Roux

Well, my team was pretty good, I hit 13 of 15 players in the starting team. If I put Duane Vermeulen and Juandré Kruger had had a 100% success rate. I agree with everyone, SA has a very powerful bench, except FdP, I don't know how is he physically, the Boks bench is much better than Pumas bench.

Regards

How much physical strength does a scrum-half need? I think it's more important for a no. 9 to have a quick release and vision.

How much physical strength does a scrum-half need? I think it's more important for a no. 9 to have a quick release and vision.

I'm not talking about physical strength, I talk about speed in the hands and cardiovascular endurance. Also you need to play high level rugby to be accustomed to the difficulty, not the same for a scrum-half get the ball out of a scrum against players like Richie McCaw, Liam Messam, Michael Hooper or Fernandez Lobbe, pressure is more intense at this level that the Japanese rugby

I like Fdp but long ago I don't see him playing in a high-level rugby can be a pleasant surprise as George Smith or be a disaster, I want to see in the field.

Regards

The classic modern 9 dilemma. Do you go for an on top form Phillips who will try to use his size to benefit or a 9 like Genia.

Ideally you want a Genia style pass and vision whilst also being able to break through tackles and deliver big hits. A chance to make the first ever Genetically Modified Scrum Half? To the lab!

The classic modern 9 dilemma. Do you go for an on top form Phillips who will try to use his size to benefit or a 9 like Genia.

Ideally you want a Genia style pass and vision whilst also being able to break through tackles and deliver big hits. A chance to make the first ever Genetically Modified Scrum Half? To the lab!

Someone like Joost van der Westhuizen??

130814092820116683.jpg

Regards

Bosch sucks, why do they persist with him?

Marcelo Bosch is very good on defense, is a tremendous tackler. In addition he is a complete player, I still remember his kick from half field in the last RWC:

Regards

Last edited by a moderator:
What Conrad Smith said, plus they don't really have any other viable options.

Another option? Santiago Fernandez maybe but he isn't over Marcelo Bosch, both are of the same level. I don't think there's much difference in putting either.

Regards

If the Boks manage to get the ball past Styen they have a very exciting looking backline I don't know if it will happen but if it dose it'll be interesting to see. I reckon the Boks will take this the backlines are fairly even IMO but the Bok forwards combined with a very strong bench will take it in the end.

Marcelo Bosch is very good on defense, is a tremendous tackler. In addition he is a complete player, I still remember his kick from half field in the last RWC
I'm afraid defending well and kicking at goal once in a while doesn't make him a complete player. He's not very good on attack, all the other backs look dangerous whereas he does not.

Another option? Santiago Fernandez maybe but he isn't over Marcelo Bosch, both are of the same level. I don't think there's much difference in putting either.
Fernandez is a 12/10. I would have been tempted to start Agulla in the position.

I still don't understand how these freak boots do it, that bosch kick is roughly 60m + the length needed to clear the 3M high cross bar. it's no easy feat... yet off 3 or 4 steps he casually bangs it over.

I expect us to win well at home but in saying so I am expecting us to do so off of a dominant line-out, scrum and at effectively clearing our own break downs; not a sure thing.

I'm afraid defending well and kicking at goal once in a while doesn't make him a complete player. He's not very good on attack, all the other backs look dangerous whereas he does not.

Fernandez is a 12/10. I would have been tempted to start Agulla in the position.

You say that Fernandez can't play at 13 but at the same time you want to Agulla plays in a different position (he's wing). Then? Of course, Fernandez can play at 13, Agulla also can play in the center, in fact he did in some games of Bath.

Regards

I expect us to win well at home but in saying so I am expecting us to do so off of a dominant line-out, scrum and at effectively clearing our own break downs; not a sure thing.

I think that Siya Kolisi deserves to start the game, he did very well against Scotland. What do you think of him?

Regards

Latest posts