• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Springboks vs Wallabies, 4 Sep 2010, Bloemfontein

Intercept King JDV

Bench Player
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Stormers
I've heard on radio that PDV won't be changing the team too much if any changes at all, so we can probably expect more or less the same team for the test in Bloemfontein.Only possible changes I can predict is Aplon in for Habana(due to lack of form) and Wynand Olivier in for Butch James(possible injury) on the bench.

Possible Bok team:

1.Gurthrö Steenkamp
2.John Smit
3.Jannie du Plessis
4.Flip van der Merwe
5.Victor Matfield
6.Schalk Burger
7.Juan Smith
8.Pierre Spies
9.Francois Hougaard
10.Morne Steyn
11.Gio Aplon
12.Jean de Villiers
13.Jaque Fourie
14.JP Pietersen
15.Frans Steyn

16.Chiliboy Ralepelle
17.CJ van der Linde
18.Danie Rossouw
19.Ryan Kankowski
20.Ricky Januarie
21.Wynand Olivier
22.Juan de Jongh

Real team to be announced some time later today...

i will go out on a limb and say the wallabies will bounce back, but i could just be seeing things through green and gold glasses (and not the south african variety either).

lets hope the wallabies can do the simple things this week and win a game of rugby for a change!!:)

I will tip SA for a win. The Wallabies will be ****** at letting a big lead slip but I really can't see them getting that many soft tries again. Please, God, let Habana and John Smit get dropped. It depends a lot on the Bok team picked, though. I would like to see:

Guthro Steenkamp
Bismarck du Plessis (has been playing some great rugby these past 2 weeks in CC)
Jannie du Plessis (if fit)
Danie Rossouw
Victor Matfield (c)
Schalk Burger
Juan Smith
Ryan Kankowski
Francois Hougaard
Morne Steyn
Bjorn Basson (setting the CC alight! and continuing his Super rugby form)
Jean de Villiers
Jacque Fourie
JP Pietersen
Gio Aplon

Tendai Mtawarira
Chiliboy Ralepelle
Flip van der Merwe
Duane Vermeulen
Sarel Pretorius
Butch James
Frans Steyn

Or on seconf thought let Frans Steyn play some CC rugby before going at it on the big stage again (screw RM 92!). Bring in Juan de Jongh with Lambie on the bench in place of Butch James to cover 10 and 15. I want this guy in the squad and thrown in at the deep end ASAP looking towards RWC2011.

Frans Steyn back at the Sharks? I would love to see that hehe. In that case Andries Strauss can finally retire ;)

Top 14 is happening now and I think it is impossible for Steyn to play some CC rugby :) he is contracted player to Paris Metro 92 and is allowed to play International Tests :) for sure he is out of pace and form, but don't forget that he is playing second year almost without rest. He was playing Top 14 during winter then all Southern hemishere playeres had holidays.

My starting 15 would be these guys:

1. Gurthro Steenkamp
2. Bismarck du Plessis
3. Jannie du Plessis (BJ Botha if Jannie is injured)
4. Flip van der Merwe
5. Victor Matfield
6. Schalk Burger
7. Juan Smith
8. Ryan Kankowski
9. Francois Hougaard
10. Morne Steyn
11. Lwazi Mvovo/Bjorn Basson
12. Jean de Villiers
13. Juan de Jongh
14. JP Pietersen
15. Gio Aplon

I said this before but I would love to see some talent to get a chance with the likes of Keegan Daniel, Allistair Hargreaves, Craig Burden, Tiaan Liebenberg, Elton Jantjies, Pat Lambie, Dewaldt Duvenhage, Gerard van den Heever.

Maybe not this weekend's match but definitely in the EOYT

The team has been announced:

There are 2 changes, both injury enforced.
Danie Rossouw in for Flip (who goes to the bench)
and Gio Aplon in for Butch James

Springboks –

15 Frans Steyn
14 JP Pietersen
13 Jaque Fourie
12 Jean de Villiers - Should be Juan de Jongh
11 Bryan Habana - Should be Aplon
10 Morne Steyn

9 Francois Hougaard

8 Pierre Spies - Should be Kanko
7 Juan Smith
6 Schalk Burger
5 Victor Matfield
4 Danie Rossouw
3 Jannie du Plessis - Should be ANYBODY ELSE
2 John Smit (c)
1 Gurthro Steenkamp.

Subs: 16 Chiliboy Ralepelle, 17 CJ van der Linde, 18 Flip van der Merwe, 19 Ryan Kankowski, 20 Ricky Januarie, 21 Juan de Jongh, 22 Gio Aplon.

I think the Boks will take this one again - I was reading on Sport24 that Juan Smith might captain the Boks on the end of year tour, and that they'll rest Smit, Matfield etc, to give them a break before the World Cup

Springboks â€"

15 Frans Steyn
14 JP Pietersen
13 Jaque Fourie
12 Jean de Villiers - Should be Juan de Jongh
11 Bryan Habana - Should be Aplon
10 Morne Steyn

9 Francois Hougaard

8 Pierre Spies - Should be Kanko
7 Juan Smith
6 Schalk Burger
5 Victor Matfield
4 Danie Rossouw
3 Jannie du Plessis - Should be ANYBODY ELSE
2 John Smit (c)
1 Gurthro Steenkamp.

Subs: 16 Chiliboy Ralepelle, 17 CJ van der Linde, 18 Flip van der Merwe, 19 Ryan Kankowski, 20 Ricky Januarie, 21 Juan de Jongh, 22 Gio Aplon.

I agree that Aplon should play and Habana needs to get confidence/form elsewhere but I would add that Frans Steyn is well off it and needs to be droppped. My preference would be Aplon at fullback with Basson on the wing. Bit lightweight but this is the Aussies; they are even lighter (as a unit).

Spies out for Kanko is also a good call. I would even pick Burger at 8 or bring in someone else in Vermeulen or if you want overseas based players then Ernst Joubert has impressed me.

Although I agree that de Jongh is in better form than de Villiers I don't mind seeing him there one bit as I would like to see if he still offers the Bokke something; the weekend told me he possibly does. Would like to see one game together with Fourie.

du Plessis (Jannie) is by a mile our most solid scrummager. True he lacks a bit in general play but he has improved in that area since the Super 14 and I would like to see him given the chance to continue his improvements as I don't see BJ or Cj adding much extra. Otherwise I would like to see a younger tighhead come in and if play in te tight-loose is a factor then I would like to see Brok Harris (better in attack/ball carrier) or Werner Kruger (better at the ruck/defence) and both decent scrummagers.

My main concern is the lack of a back-up 10 on the bench which I feel currently sums up SA's position; we only have Steyn there and we need a bit of depth. We are also unwilling to bring in anyone new at 15 where we are also way behind if one were to look for a ranking of international 15s. Some of those Kiwi fullbacks should come to SA.

We have Lambie, who seems to be a complete back-line in one. He is the future of SA rugby if you ask me.

We have Lambie, who seems to be a complete back-line in one. He is the future of SA rugby if you ask me.

I am also on that train and would like to see him on the EOYT as he looks to be a very accomplished player for his age. Also, an answer to our 15/10 depth problems would be great.. hell, I would even start Lambie. The question is whether he will get the chance as I don't have much faith in PDivvy's selections. Saying that, I know he isn't the only one involved in selections but he does have the final say and therefor the buck should stop at him.

Just imagine this backline of the following players for the 2015 RWC:

9.Francois Hougaard (22 now/27 then)
10.Patrick Lambie (20 now/25 then)
11.Lwazi Mvovo (24 now/29 then)
12.Robert Ebersohn (21 now/26 then)
13.Juan de Jongh (22 now/27 then)
14.Gerhard van den Heever (21 now/26 then)
15.Frans Steyn (23 now/28 then)

The above backline should start playing together after next year's RWC, or hopefully in the end of the year tour this year.

9.Francois Hougaard (22 now/27 then)
10.Patrick Lambie (20 now/25 then)
11.Lwazi Mvovo (24 now/29 then)
12.Robert Ebersohn (21 now/26 then)
13.Juan de Jongh (22 now/27 then)
14.Gerhard van den Heever (21 now/26 then)

The above backline should start playing together after next year's RWC, or hopefully in the end of the year tour this year.

Certainly looks like a good line up, NZ's could be -

9. Tawera Kerr-Barlow (19 now/24 then).
10. Aaron Cruden (21 now/26 then)
11. Julian Savea (19 now/24 then)
12. Robbie Robinson (20 now/25 then)
13. Shaun Treeby (20 now/25 then)
14. Israel Dagg (22 now, 27 then).
15. Tim Nanai-Williams (21 now, 26 then)

I'm sure there are better possible squads from NZ's youth, that's just what came to mind, and that's without players like Winston Stanley, Zac Guildford and Tyler Bleyendaal. I also put Robbie Robinson out of position, but meh.

I think Australia is another country very lucky in this department. You think James O'Connor is good now, imagine what he'll be like once he hits puberty...

I have one question/comment about Steyn that I ask SA fans to comment on.

Due you think that Frans Steyn, by going to Europe, is basically doing a Percy? And as such will come back to SA a much better and mature player?

Its gonna be another cracker of a game that Im predicting for this week. Very happy with last weeks game as the Springboks just came through for me and I made some good money, so thank you to my good friends in the 'boks. Oh and GAMBLE RESPONSIBLY!!! as I do. This week Im gonna put my money on the Wallabies my reasons being is that they rose to the occasion of playing the 'boks at home which is tough, there was nothing in it between the 2 and they're paying good odds:). So come on mate!

Can't go past the Boks at altitude I'm afraid.

While I do not think the Wallabies would let a chance like last week slip away again, I do not believe the Wallabies will get off to the same kind of flying start they did last week either. I expect the Boks to tighten up their defence.

Boks by 7+

Don't underestimate the Aussies. They have an amazing squad which consists of top players who can beat any team. The Boks played an amazing second half but that was also because the Aussies got tired.

This match in Bloem should give them the opportunity to grab a win. I hope the Boks win but I wouldn't be surprised if things go different

hard to pick, aissues should have won that game if they had used their bench like they should. I get the feeling that the game will be tighter at the start and if the aussies do actually use their bench they should have the advantage during the last 15-20min. But it will be hard for them to do that if Sharpe is out of action and they let Matfield have his way in the lineout again.

Latest posts