• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Springboks vs Wallabies, 28 Aug 2010, Loftus Versfeld

Beale has played centre in his time hasn't he?
They should've had him at centre, and AAC at FB (imo)

I think Beale has played inside, so the problem remain: they still don't have a pure 13 (since Horne has been ruled out).

IMO Beale played well yesterday and AAC is a good 13... Wallabies' back three have played much better than Sprinboks ones!
For me it's only question of bad day at the office, in the worst (surely the most unlucky) possible situation for the Wallabies!

this game was very dissapointing. It's clear to see why the All Blacks are on top of the world at the moment and I am honestly not just saying that because I am a New Zealander.

I mean, even though this game was entertaining, no one had any control over this game what so ever... It was like rugby sevens, tries were being scored one after the other and the victory was lollying from side to side for both teams. If the Wallabies attempt to play this kind of rugby against NZ in two weeks time, they will be left for dead

Anyone who thinks that the Boks are the kings of kicking (kicks in play - KIP) would be quite wrong. The All Blacks kick almost as much. In this 3N so far, Boks 25 KIPs per match, ABs 23 KIPs per match. The Wallabies don't kick as much (only 17 KIPs per match) but where the Wallabies fail is the quality and type of kicks. The Boks and the AB's kick tactically, and accurately for the most part, whereas I have noticed that the Wallabies simply belt the ball downfield aimlessly, going for distance instead of accuracy.

If they adopt this tactic, combined with a run at all costs attitude against the Boks at Bloemfontein next weekend, they will lose again, and if they try it in Sydney against the AB's we will slaughter them.

I think they lose something by having Cooper at 1st 5/8. While he has all the fancy foxtrot dance-steps, he is not half as good a tactical kicker at Giteau. If he tries that airy-fairy footwork against Keiran Reid or Jerome Kaino, they'll just flatten him.

Last edited:
Personally, I think Deano is a double-agent for NZRU, come to sow dissent and misery in the Wallaby ranks before the WC. His Crusaders played with such nous and panache along with their skill and speed. I haven't seen any flashes of higher thought this year. Lets go Deano play your players to their strengths and trust your bench.

HAHA ... yep, you're on to us ... us undercover agents for the NZRU are everywhere! :D

HAHA ... yep, you're on to us ... us undercover agents for the NZRU are everywhere! :D

lol quade cooper, james o'conner, richard kingi and dean mumm are also double agents working under the despicable dr. deans muhuhahahahaha

dr deans and his evil team of henchmen will stop at nothing to take over world rugby :p

I think they lose something by having Cooper at 1st 5/8. While he has all the fancy foxtrot dance-steps, he is not half as good a tactical kicker at Giteau. If he tries that airy-fairy footwork against Keiran Reid or Jerome Kaino, they'll just flatten him.

Cook -

Reds v Crusaders (Keiran Reid) - 41-20 (Cooper scores 31 points)

Err...

Not to sound rude or anything, but did you watch any of the Super 14 and Hougaard on the wing? Because it doesn't sound like it.

S14 is not international rugby , he is not a out and out wing. I would play him there for the Bulls but not the boks , Piere Spies and Nick Koster played a whole season of S14 rugby on the wing but they nit wings , they can cover wing yes. Test match rugby is not the place to experiment , Look I will play the lad but FDP is number 1 so he will be number 2. At the bulls where there are not much better wings to compete with I would play him as he also needs gametime to keep sharp , but at the Boks there are wingers out there besides the regulars like Aplon , Wium Basson etc etc.

S14 is not international rugby , he is not a out and out wing. I would play him there for the Bulls but not the boks , Piere Spies and Nick Koster played a whole season of S14 rugby on the wing but they nit wings , they can cover wing yes. Test match rugby is not the place to experiment , Look I will play the lad but FDP is number 1 so he will be number 2. At the bulls where there are not much better wings to compete with I would play him as he also needs gametime to keep sharp , but at the Boks there are wingers out there besides the regulars like Aplon , Wium Basson etc etc.

Lol. Spies never played an entire season at wing for the Bulls in the Super 14. Where did you get that?

Super 14 is as close to International rugby as you are going to get.

@LordHope

His name is Bjorn Basson. No idea where he gets Wium from.

Cook -

Reds v Crusaders (Keiran Reid) - 41-20 (Cooper scores 31 points)

Different ball-game now Haysie. That was S14 (then) this is test rugby (now).

Oh, and by the way

Reds v Blues (Jerome Kaino) 18 -27 (Cooper scores... 8 points)
booty.gif

As I recall, Quade tried some of his fancy footwork to get around Rene Ranger, and got flattened for his trouble.

Last edited:
Both teams played pretty badly but I'm glad the Bokke got there in the end. Still tons for both teams to work on.
We need a decent backs and/or defence coach/consultant. Dick Muir should have gone ages ago and I started to get enthusiastic when PDivvy mentioned something to that effect but nothing came from it. Matfield only made one steal in the line-outs and had a pertty mediocre game otherwise, the rest where van der Merwe, Spies and Smith. Not saying we should drop him but the guy needs a rest like no-one else in rugby ever. Same for Habana who along with Matfield gifted the Aussies soft tries. Frans Steyn looked so off the pace and his poor return kicks saw us get a try against us and lose massive field position and it put lots of pressure on the defence. he is another one that needs to play some Currie cup and Super 14 before making a case to be included in the national team. Smit is past it. Time to move on. There are more than enough experienced captains in the squad (Matfield, Smith, de Villiers, Burger). My team for next week:

Guthro Steenkamp
Bismarck du Plessis
Brok Harris
Flip van der Merwe
Danie Rossouw
Schalk Burger
Juan Smith
Duane Vermeulen
Francois Hougaard
Morne Steyn
Bjorn Basson
Juan de Jongh
Jacque Fourie
JP Pietesen
Gio Aplon

I would have liked to have Morne Steyn also take a break but couldn't think of a replacement.. James? Not convinced. Peter Grant would have been my choice but he is in Japan. Lambie a good prospect.. maybe throw him in at the deep end? Please not Pienaar.

Other guys that should come in when fit: Brussouw, Botha (if he starts playing the ball and not the man), Bekker, du Preez. Matfield and Habana to take an extended break.

Wher I would like to see improvements:
defence and ball distribution and some accurate kicking for a change, man we are missing du preez.

Different ball-game now Haysie. That was S14 (then) this is test rugby (now).

Oh, and by the way

Reds v Blues (Jerome Kaino) 18 -27 (Cooper scores... 8 points)
booty.gif

As I recall, Quade tried some of his fancy footwork to get around Rene Ranger, and got flattened for his trouble.

Comeon now Cook -

Selective memory is all I hold dear! :lol:
Still, that game was pouring rain and as I recall Cooper kicked better than Nick Evans on that night

Lol. Spies never played an entire season at wing for the Bulls in the Super 14. Where did you get that?

His Debut season he played wing , look it up. Promise you it is correct.

Super 14 is as close to International rugby as you are going to get.

Close but not the real thing and like we see with Wynaand Olivier and Francois Louw this year a small diffs can have a big impact

His name is Bjorn Basson. No idea where he gets Wium from.
Oops , sorry Wium was one of my favorite locks , ex WP U21 and Bulls lock who sadly died a few years ago of cancer I think, played in the same team as Corne Krige , Selborne Boome , Hottie Louw , Neil De Kock etc etc , was a champion WP U21 team that one.

glad to know the refs consistent if the boks win

I think you should rephrase that to - Glad to the know that if the ref s consistent , the bok wins !!

We would have won all our games had this been the case.

ok, I agree it is a stupid comment but you started it lol

I am sure I remember Pierre Spies playing on the wing for one of the South Africans age group sides, Under 19's I think, in about 2003/04

I am sure I remember Pierre Spies playing on the wing for one of the South Africans age group sides, Under 19's I think, in about 2003/04

It was U21 , he made his debit at wing for the Bulls at wing then got injured in the first game and later made his comeback in the U21 team as a wing as well

Comeon now Cook -

Selective memory is all I hold dear! :lol:
Still, that game was pouring rain and as I recall Cooper kicked better than Nick Evans on that night

Well that wouldn't have been difficult...Nick Evans has played for Harlequins in the English Premiership since 2007!!!

I think you mean Stephen Brett!

Last edited:
Last edited:

Latest posts