• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Springboks vs Wallabies, 28 Aug 2010, Loftus Versfeld

I can't remember telling anyone they couldn't have an opinion. I just wanted know if you knew him personally and had some reason for attacking him personally or whether you were just full of ****.
I wasn't attacking him - I was simply making people aware what I thought (hence the word 'opinion') on a message board. ;)

However harsh, or misinterpreted (my opinion) may be, that's my stance. You can't change that (maybe, though I doubt it the way you're going! :lol:)

Same as yours (which is presumably one of the polar opposite of mine).

Understand, or not? (Please say so and I can simplify it. Honestly. :))

In regards to you "not saying they couldn't have an opinion" - I thought the fact that you're having a go at me now is pretty freaking loud in the sense that you don't think I should think that. Translation = "I don't like what you think so I'm gonna be sarcastic and have a go at you (your original post - and now) for thinking that way".

Rural education aye? :p

(In case you don't get it, that was a joke. :))

Last edited:
I can't remember telling anyone they couldn't have an opinion. I just wanted know if you knew him personally and had some reason for attacking him personally or whether you were just full of ****.

Hey cmon I think it's between Shaggy and adamartin. Lets not worry about that reddy, lets get back to the game this thread is mainly about.

Keep it nice buddy. admartian has done nothing to invoke that reaction, and he has no reason to apologise for his post. He may have a view point that isn't based on personal experience (like no one else on this forum ever has those), but that's no reason to act like you did. An apology would be a nice gesture now redeye, or you can keep it quiet, k?

Geez I hope this week gets done now !! Wobblies to take it tomorrow guys , Wish it was different but we down in the gutter at the moment , unless the ref helps us , we are doomed !!!

Geez I hope this week gets done now !! Wobblies to take it tomorrow guys , Wish it was different but we down in the gutter at the moment , unless the ref helps us , we are doomed !!!
You going for the Wallabies Sparty??...well I'll be dammed.

Really? If you guys play like you did last week, it should be a lock.

Plus you have BEAST back! :)

no on came to my defences when i called woodcock smug

No one said you were talking **** either. People did however say that their opinion of Woodcock is different, judged on personal experience, which is absolutely fine.

So someone can have an opinion that someone I like is an "arrogant, smug, pompous ass" but I should apologise for challenging that?

When I did he disparagingly called me an apologist.

My opinion is that character judgement, of both Robbie and myself is it's full of ****.

I'm not apologising for that.

So someone can have an opinion that someone I like is an "arrogant, smug, pompous ass" but I should apologise for challenging that?

My opinion is that character judgement, of both Robbie and myself is it's full of ****.

Why can't I have that opinion though? It's just how I feel mate - doesn't really matter if you like it or not.

Look, if he's your fav. coach/person/idol, then that's cool. I''m not here to make people think the same as me.

But you can't expect people not to have different feelings on someone, even if they may contradict your own.

And when did I make character judgement on you? Like when you said something along the lines of "but you're an Aucklander..so blah blah(something about not understanding)" about me in one of your posts?.

You're really taking this way too seriously and escalating it to more what it really was - a personal observation. (Seriously, if Robbie's family, then fair enough - but if you're just some bloke/person with an admiration towards him, well you should really expect people not to share the same opinion).

Last edited:

There is a difference between having an opinion on a public figure, negative or otherwise, than personally attacking someone because of their views on a public figure. If you are Robbie Deans, then by all means defend yourself, otherwise you're out of line. You're also welcome to challenge his opinion with evidence to the contrary, saying he's "talking ****" does very little to contradict his opinion.

As for him calling you an apologist, I think he's right on the money. It's not really an insult, it's a description of what you are doing.
Apologist - a person who makes a defense in speech or writing of a belief, idea, etc.

I mean, if the shoe fits...

Actually I'm not taking it seriously at all.

Look back a couple of posts, my initial challenge was polite. I asked if you knew him personally as I wanted to asses whether your publicly stated opinion was based on any fact.

You then came back with the sarcasm. How did you expect me to respond?

i like robbie, he reminds me of those backward south island type, but i think he is doing a poor job with the wallabies
on a side note it seems alot of senior players fallout with robbies coaching stlye, he seemed awfully keen to get rid of lote aswell

Actually I'm not taking it seriously at all.

Look back a couple of posts, my initial challenge was polite. I asked if you knew him personally as I wanted to asses whether your publicly stated opinion was based on any fact.

You then came back with the sarcasm. How did you expect me to respond?

You know him personally admartian? I guessed you would cause you sure wouldn't base that on a couple of TV clips.
Sounds like you're having a go.

The point I object to, is telling someone they're talking ****. It is uncalled for, especially when the opinion did not concern you. If you wish to discuss this further, please PM me. This is not relevant to the topic, and I'd like to get it back on track.

Opinions don't have to be based on facts, and in fact often aren't. They are more often than not based on perceptions and personal observations.

e.g.

► My opinion of Bakkies Botha is that he is a thug. That is based on my observation of his actions

► Bakkies' wife is probably of the opinion that he is a very nice man, based in her observations and personal experiences of him

► Fred Smith from Wichita, Kansas probably has no opinion because doesn't have the foggiest idea who Bakkies Botha is.

Really? If you guys play like you did last week, it should be a lock.

Plus you have BEAST back! :)

Yes but will we play like last week ? We seem to physic us up more for the ABS. I dont know , my heart says Boks but my mind says Aussies.

These tri-nations treads are doing my head i can't be bother to read them because every second post is some guy string **** up then that takes up like five pages all about nothing. Then finally theirs a post about the game then somebody else comes along and tries to stir **** up. in the end there are about five pages relating to the game and 30 about nothing i though the point of the form was to share your ideas about rugby and in this the game not have heated arguments about what Robie deans job description was.

rant over

These tri-nations treads are doing my head i can't be bother to read them because every second post is some guy string **** up then that takes up like five pages all about nothing. Then finally theirs a post about the game then somebody else comes along and tries to stir **** up. in the end there are about five pages relating to the game and 30 about nothing i though the point of the form was to share your ideas about rugby and in this the game not have heated arguments about what Robie deans job description was.

rant over

I take your point ... guilty as charged ... discussion about whether Robbie Deans or PDV should be coaching their respective sides is probably as relevant as discussing the playing personnel though, and lets face it, putting your point across and having someone disagree with it, is what forums in general are all about ...

Reading continual posts about which team will win and by what margin gets a little boring after a while :D

... just like to point out, that while I know you are frustrated by the number of off topic posts you have to read through, your sole contribution to this thread has been a rant over what others have posted, and nothing about the game itself ;)

Latest posts