• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Six Nations player of the championship

M

monkeypigeon

The final shortlist has been anounced, selected by former players (one from each of the participating nations) and the winner is based on a vote on the RBS Six Nations website.

Shortlist:
Sergio Parisse
Brian O'Driscoll
Lee Byrne
Paul O'Connell
Delon Armitage
Jamie Heaslip

I'd probably go with Lee Byrne myself. In thoery hes had the most competition from other full backs in the competition and he's consistently performed well.

Parisse would be a close second.

parisse byrne or armitage
i think they have all performed well in the six nations this year

It has to be Byrne, his Italy performance alone must be enough to seal the deal.

O'driscoll or parisse. O'Driscoll though. Add in Ferris to the shortlist and you've got a whole bunch of players who definitely deserve it.

Has to be Sergio Parisse. He has just been incredible in a team that has been playing crap. His few man-of-the-match ***les also proves he is the best.

really is a devalued award now though since they've started making it a public vote, should be the expert panel who decided on the nominations that make the final decision, either that or have the coaches involved in the process as well.

Imanol Harinordoquy has been the tournament's best player in my opinion. The fact that he's not even on the shortlist is a joke.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Mar 18 2009, 02:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Imanol Harinordoquy has been the tournament's best player in my opinion. The fact that he's not even on the shortlist is a joke.[/b]

I think his first half performance at Twickenham saw to that

I'm sorry but only ONE player has been consistent in his performance this tournament and that has been Sergio Parrise.

The bottom line is that if he held a British or Irish passport, no other number eight would get a look in for the Lions tour. Why would they want to waste a space on bringing a second number eight when Parrise can do the job of two?!

Has to be Parrise by a mile. Perhaps Worsley is unlucky not to be at least short listed after putting in some heroic defensive performances.

Parisse definitely stands out for me.

Then Byrne, O'Driscoll and Heaslip all tied at second place.
I think Harinoduquy should be on the list. Pre-England game he was fantastic.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Mar 19 2009, 02:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'm sorry but only ONE player has been consistent in his performance this tournament and that has been Sergio Parrise.

The bottom line is that if he held a British or Irish passport, no other number eight would get a look in for the Lions tour. Why would they want to waste a space on bringing a second number eight when Parrise can do the job of two?![/b]
If he was able to go on tour with the Lions he would have to be captain. The other nation's captains are nothing compared to young Sergio.

seriously stop demeaning this by saying that Byrne is just behind Parisse, Wyn Jones up till the Italy game was the standout Welsh player for me, Byrne hasn't even been the best Welsh back in this tournament.

Byrne gets in for being excellent in the first two games but I agree. Shanklin should be there instead.

I'd vote Parisse.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Meh @ Mar 18 2009, 08:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Byrne gets in for being excellent in the first two games but I agree. Shanklin should be there instead.

I'd vote Parisse.[/b]

well then you can make a case for probably half a dozen more players on top of that if that's the case. For me though Heaslip has been the standout player of that group, even Parisse had a poor game against Ireland.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Mar 18 2009, 07:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Meh @ Mar 18 2009, 08:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd vote Parisse.[/b]

well then you can make a case for probably half a dozen more players on top of that if that's the case. For me though Heaslip has been the standout player of that group, even Parisse had a poor game against Ireland.
[/b][/quote]

Sorry but that is seriously misleading. Parisse having a "poor game" only means that is he "absolutely gutsy and defiant" rather than "incredible" or "absolutely brilliant."

This is like saying GOD (i.e. Richard Hill, the King of Kings and the best there is, the best there was and the best there ever will be) had a "poor game" against the Ospreys in 2007 on account of him only having one leg and only pwning the Ospreys back row 99.5% of the time.

Its alright, you want your guy in green to get the nod for the first number 8 spot on the plane to South Africa, I can understand that. And as Parisse isn't British or Irish Heaslip will rightfully get that spot.

But if Parisse was in the reckoning, nobody would have a chance and he'd be first choice and Captain.

Parisse: 100% record through this tournament, 100% commitment through this tournament, most MOM awards this tournament and thats the bottom line.

Vote Parisse! For a brighter tomorrow (and his Mum does a great anti-pasti!)

Sergio Parisse for me. He rarely has a poor game, and whenever you watch Italy he is their go-to man and he leads them fantastically. He even scored a drop goal, a la Zinzan. Perhaps you could argue he looks great in a poor team, but he definitely adds the most to his team.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Mar 18 2009, 09:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Mar 18 2009, 07:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Meh @ Mar 18 2009, 08:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd vote Parisse.[/b]

[/b][/quote]

Sorry but that is seriously misleading. Parisse having a "poor game" only means that is he "absolutely gutsy and defiant" rather than "incredible" or "absolutely brilliant."

This is like saying GOD (i.e. Richard Hill, the King of Kings and the best there is, the best there was and the best there ever will be) had a "poor game" against the Ospreys in 2007 on account of him only having one leg and only pwning the Ospreys back row 99.5% of the time.

Its alright, you want your guy in green to get the nod for the first number 8 spot on the plane to South Africa, I can understand that. And as Parisse isn't British or Irish Heaslip will rightfully get that spot.

[/b][/quote]

It's nothing to do with that, I think it's safe to say that I don't always have green tinted glasses on when making my posts, I don't give a **** how many of the Lions are Irish or not, it's about winning a series in South Africa.

Against Ireland Parisse was not nearly as effective as he has been in terms of ball carrying, imposing himself on the game, was even missing tackles, certainly not his finest performance and no coincidence that Italy's poorest performance came when Parisse had his least impact on the match.

I know Heaslip didn't have his finest game compared to the other 3 against England but his performance was still of a high standard.

Latest posts