• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC: Tonga - Canada (14-09-2011, 17:00)

wow easy on the drive by.....

Canada....to pick any other would be unpatriotic.

Shaggy if you get a divorce do you get expelled?

:lol: ... no, you don't get rid of me that easy :D

... i've been married for a matter of days now, so it would be a shame for it to end so soon :D

... i've been married for a matter of days now, so it would be a shame for it to end so soon :D

Good to hear... we certainly don't want your kind back in New Zealand :p

Congrats on getting married mate... it will probably be the most memorable day your life - unless of course the AB's (or Canada) win the Rugby World Cup :D

Congrats man. Honeymoon to NZ in time for the RWC :p

i guess Tonga want to play a more open running game so they put Moa at first five, but still keep Morath at fullback for his goal kicking, could also be because of Lilo's missed tackles against NZ that let in tries

France have named their lineup to face Canada on Sunday already as well and massive changes are in order for the French. Strange to name it so early not even seeing how Canada will do against Tonga, here is the lineup...

France: Damien Traille; Vincent Clerc, David Marty, Maxime Mermoz, Aurelien Rougerie (capt); Francois Trinh-Duc, Morgan Parra; Jean-Baptiste Poux, William Servat, Luc Ducalcon; Pascal Pape, Romain Millo-Chluski; Fulgence Ouedraogo, Julien Bonnaire, Louis Picamoles.

Replacements: Guilhem Guirado, Fabien Barcella, Julien Pierre, Imanol Harinordoquy, Dimitri Yachvili, Fabrice Estebanez, Maxime Medard.

I saw this on the RugbyRama website and was surprised as well. I would not be surprised if Lievremont was still angry and wanted to bring the hammer down early:mad:! Actually he seems happy being consistently changing. He probably had this lineup in his head before the Japan game ended. Would have liked to see Lakafia on the bench b/c his movement with ball in hand was a highlight of the match. However I won't hijack the Tonga Canada thread for Canada France discussion.

Isitolo maka is just trying to keep players fresh for later rounds...this is not his best team. He stated today the short turn around meant he had to rotate players. I think after Moas showing at 5 8 he wanted to see how that combination would work out.

I don't think there are two more physically inclined squads in this World Cup...
both squads love to mix it up and throw their bodies around in contact areas.

Going to very close but if Canada matches-up in the physical area and plays
with their brains --> Canada by 8.

Going to be one of the best games of Pool A to be sure - can't frickin' wait!!

Samoa and Fiji would have something to say about that. Canadsians have heart, But I dont think they are known for there physicality. When teams play the Island boys especially Samoa the pre game talk is all about physicality. Not taking away anything away from Canada.

Cudmore vs Tuilagi
http://rugbydump.blogspot.com/2010/06/henry-tuilagi-crushes-lock-jamie.html

Nice to hear the Canadian fans are right into this world cup...I can't really comment on your team cause I haven't seen a lot. As a tongan fan i am happy to see the team improve on their first half performance and I hope that improves against the Canadians and more as the tournament progresses. That was tonga's first game against a tier one nation since the 2007 RWC so hopefully they learn from the first game.

With all the gambles in selection i believe it is a wise move to keep MOrath in the team to kick the goals. If they get comfortable I think Iongi will come on for Palu and MOrath and MOa will slip back to their natural positions.

This world cup is awesome....all the best to both teams

Good to hear... we certainly don't want your kind back in New Zealand :p

Congrats on getting married mate... it will probably be the most memorable day your life - unless of course the AB's (or Canada) win the Rugby World Cup :D

:lol: ... It's funny, I seem to get that "we don't want you" kind of sentiment where ever I go ... as for that "special rugby day" , i'm hoping it's going to be a significantly less than once every 24 years event as far as the AB's go, and i'll be very happy if Canada can finish 3rd in this pool

Congrats man. Honeymoon to NZ in time for the RWC :p

Thanks Nick (and Darwin) :D ... I wish I could do the honeymoon in NZ for the cup, but can't afford it right now ... I hear that all of the festival stuff happening is really great, and would love to have seen some of these pool games live

... I think I did well to time the wedding between the Tri-Nations, and the Rugby World Cup, and to convince the better half, that I should watch all of the matches on the idiot box :D

Can't wait for this match ... only 12 hours to go

:lol: ... It's funny, I seem to get that "we don't want you" kind of sentiment where ever I go ... as for that "special rugby day" , i'm hoping it's going to be a significantly less than once every 24 years event as far as the AB's go, and i'll be very happy if Canada can finish 3rd in this pool

Thanks Nick (and Darwin) :D ... I wish I could do the honeymoon in NZ for the cup, but can't afford it right now ... I hear that all of the festival stuff happening is really great, and would love to have seen some of these pool games live

... I think I did well to time the wedding between the Tri-Nations, and the Rugby World Cup, and to convince the better half, that I should watch all of the matches on the idiot box :D

Can't wait for this match ... only 12 hours to go

take her to the Gopher museum in Torrington.....

http://www.jky.net/albums/gopher-museum_index.html

Samoa and Fiji would have something to say about that. Canadsians have heart, But I dont think they are known for there physicality. When teams play the Island boys especially Samoa the pre game talk is all about physicality. Not taking away anything away from Canada.

Cudmore vs Tuilagi
http://rugbydump.blogspot.com/2010/06/henry-tuilagi-crushes-lock-jamie.html

Hello All, my first post.

I think this game will be very close, could go either way. I do agree that it will be one of the most physical games in the pool stages. When you think of big tackles, you typically think of Islander countries but I assure you Canadians and Americans are no slouchs (see Ireland vs USA and the amount of big hits USA put out or how either country plays Hockey.) Where we get beat is by either being completely outclassed or getting worn down and this has a lot to with the other team having professional players. Tonga can field a fully professional side, Canada has 9 professional players (2 just recently signed.)
I do think Tonga will wear Canada down in the later stages but it won't be through physicality, it will be through the fact that we have to play harder to compete. Not saying Tonga doesn't have to try hard, but as someone said above, Tongans are naturals to Rugby and do things fairly quickly as compared to Canada who do everything just a little slower.

In terms of matchups:
Front Row: Tonga. Size is fairly even (110kg/242lbs for Canada vs 113kg/249lbs for Tonga) but Tonga entire front row including spares are professional while Canada does not have a single professional front row player.
Locks and Loosies: Canada. Tonga is slightly bigger at 111kg/245lbs than Canada 105kg/232lbs. Canada's mobility at these positons will test Tonga as Canada essentially plays 5 flankers at these positions. All are professional except for Kleeberger but his massive beard makes up for it (Hotson on bench plays for Plymouth Albion.)
Backs: Tie. Tonga has a size advantage in Moa, Fatafehi, Helu and Piutau all being around 220lbs mark. 10 Ander Monro's tackling ability will be tested is in this game as no doubt the Tongans will run a lot of crashes with Fatafehi (Monro is 180lbs vs 12 Fatafehi 251lbs.) 12 Smyth and 13 Van Der Merwe should be able to keep everything under to control as Smyth is a huge hitter in the centres and Canada's overall defensive organisation has vastly improved over the years. Hopefully MacKenzie can keep the try streak going and Pritchard can show his usual form.

Should be great one.

Now on to that video you posted. To me, all that video shows is how dirty of a player H. Tuilagi is. Take a look at any montage of him on youtube, he consistently runs with his elbows up, hits high, hits late and doesn't wrap. Watching the Cudmore hit, he made no attempt to wrap, all he wanted to do is ram his shoulder into Cudmore's head and knock him out. Not even remotely clean and has no place in the game.
As well, if you watch the Foden hit, he also makes no attempt to wrap. I respect all the Islander nations as big hitters but H. Tuilagi definately crosses the line into dirty play and really does not represent how his fellow countrymen play or even how his brothers play. Don't get me wrong, you could take any Tuilagi and you'd have a great player, but that dirty, cheap stuff doesn't need to exist.

I hope that type of hit does not get glorified in rugby. We had similar issues in both Hockey and American Football where head shots used to be considered good hits. Now they are just seen as cheap and dirty with the players who usually do them were almost run out of the league (see Matt Cooke.)

Last edited:
Hey, not sure if anyone posted the lineup for Canada. Crowley announced it yesterday.

[FONT=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]1. Hubert Buydens [/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]2. Pat Riordan (captain)[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]3. Jason Marshall [/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]4. Jebb Sinclair [/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]5. Jamie Cudmore [/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]6. Adam Kleeberger [/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]7. Chauncey O'Toole[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]8. Aaron Carpenter [/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]9. Ed Fairhurst[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]10. Ander Monro [/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]11. Phil Mackenzie [/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]12. Ryan Smith[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]13. DTH van der Merwe[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]14. Ciaran Hearn [/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]15. James Pritchard [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Reserves[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]16. Ryan Hamilton [/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]17. Scott Franklin [/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]18. Tyler Hotson [/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]19. Nanyak Dala [/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]20. Conor Trainor [/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]21. Sean White [/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]22. Nathan Hirayama

Matt Evans withdrawn from the lineup as he hasn't recovered from a knock he received in practice
[/FONT]

Hello All, my first post.

I think this game will be very close, could go either way. I do agree that it will be one of the most physical games in the pool stages. When you think of big tackles, you typically think of Islander countries but I assure you Canadians and Americans are no slouchs (see Ireland vs USA and the amount of big hits USA put out or how either country plays Hockey.) Where we get beat is by either being completely outclassed or getting worn down and this has a lot to with the other team having professional players. Tonga can field a fully professional side, Canada has 9 professional players (2 just recently signed.)
I do think Tonga will wear Canada down in the later stages but it won't be through physicality, it will be through the fact that we have to play harder to compete. Not saying Tonga doesn't have to try hard, but as someone said above, Tongans are naturals to Rugby and do things fairly quickly as compared to Canada who do everything just a little slower.

In terms of matchups:
Front Row: Tonga. Size is fairly even (110kg/242lbs for Canada vs 113kg/249lbs for Tonga) but Tonga entire front row including spares are professional while Canada does not have a single professional front row player.
Locks and Loosies: Canada. Tonga is slightly bigger at 111kg/245lbs than Canada 105kg/232lbs. Canada's mobility at these positons will test Tonga as Canada essentially plays 5 flankers at these positions. All are professional except for Kleeberger but his massive beard makes up for it (Hotson on bench plays for Plymouth Albion.)
Backs: Tie. Tonga has a size advantage in Moa, Fatafehi, Helu and Piutau all being around 220lbs mark. 10 Ander Monro's tackling ability will be tested is in this game as no doubt the Tongans will run a lot of crashes with Fatafehi (Monro is 180lbs vs 12 Fatafehi 251lbs.) 12 Smyth and 13 Van Der Merwe should be able to keep everything under to control as Smyth is a huge hitter in the centres and Canada's overall defensive organisation has vastly improved over the years. Hopefully MacKenzie can keep the try streak going and Pritchard can show his usual form.

Should be great one.

Now on to that video you posted. To me, all that video shows is how dirty of a player H. Tuilagi is. Take a look at any montage of him on youtube, he consistently runs with his elbows up, hits high, hits late and doesn't wrap. Watching the Cudmore hit, he made no attempt to wrap, all he wanted to do is ram his shoulder into Cudmore's head and knock him out. Not even remotely clean and has no place in the game.
As well, if you watch the Foden hit, he also makes no attempt to wrap. I respect all the Islander nations as big hitters but H. Tuilagi definately crosses the line into dirty play and really does not represent how his fellow countrymen play or even how his brothers play. Don't get me wrong, you could take any Tuilagi and you'd have a great player, but that dirty, cheap stuff doesn't need to exist.

I hope that type of hit does not get glorified in rugby. We had similar issues in both Hockey and American Football where head shots used to be considered good hits. Now they are just seen as cheap and dirty with the players who usually do them were almost run out of the league (see Matt Cooke.)

you had me until you comment on Smith...........he is not a huge hitter

I think the fowards are where Tonga should dominate. The Canadians struggled in the scrum against the Australian BaaBaas. The Canadians also havnt contested Line Outs in a few games. Cant wait for this game.

Hey, not sure if anyone posted the lineup for Canada. Crowley announced it yesterday.
[...]

Matt Evans withdrawn from the lineup as he hasn't recovered from a knock he received in practice
Ah, I'd missed that,
Cheers :D
Added into the original post now

Looks a good team - can't wait for the match

Where we get beat is by either being completely outclassed or getting worn down and this has a lot to with the other team having professional players. Tonga can field a fully professional side, Canada has 9 professional players (2 just recently signed.)

In terms of matchups:

The whole "professional" argument doesn't carry much weight considering that Canadians have additional passport red tape to get through in order to get a professional contract. Guys like Buydens, Marshall, and Kleeberger are all capable of playing top tier rugby (hey, if props like Franklin, Forrest Gainer, Garth Cooke, and Casey Duning can get contracts in the Top 14 or Aviva Premiership, Marshall and Buydens are more than capable). Marshall, in particular, better get a contract after the WC. He's a young John Thiel, only stronger.

And Smith is a hitter? If you mean "hitting" empty air after a missed tackle, then I agree :). In my opinion Smith has no business even bringing water on the pitch. Conor Trainor and Matt Evans are ten times the players and only in their early 20s.

That said, welcome to the forum!

Last edited:
I think the fowards are where Tonga should dominate. The Canadians struggled in the scrum against the Australian BaaBaas. The Canadians also havnt contested Line Outs in a few games. Cant wait for this game.

Hopefully Canada's outside centre, DTH van der Merwe can compensate for the anticipated Tongan dominance in the forwards. He'll probably be the most dangerous player with the ball in hand on the pitch tonight.

This is shaping up to be a great game. Both teams have their strengths, but I think overall it's in our favour. I predict that we'll win, but we'll end up losing to Japan who will take third. Still, the battle for third is going to be close, and anything can happen.

Latest posts