• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC: Tonga - Canada (14-09-2011, 17:00)

Lol, with Smith, I haven't been able to seen him play in ages. Been moving countries a bit so I'm out of the loop on certain players.
The Ryan Smith I remember laid out some big hits on France A and Argentina A but that was a few years ago. Haven't really seen him play since as I have been only able to see highlights of Canada games and hear what my friends say. Hmmm maybe that's why I haven't seen him. He must've gotten really bad if everyone is so quick to hate on him.
I agree with Trainor and Evans as I have played against Trainor and he was a class above everyone else. I also hope Hirayama gets a chance and does well as I used to play across from him when he was with Richmond and Hugh McRoberts so it's good to see him in the world cup. I had a pleasant surprise last year though when I was in a pub watching a Glasgow Warriors game and found out that the South African guy the commentators were drooling over was Canadian (DTH Van Der Merwe.)

When I make the professional argument, I don't mean that these guys can't play professionally or are lacking skill in any way. What I am saying is that the Tongans are used to a higher quality of rugby that the Canadians are as they all play professionally. As good at Rugby in Canada (especially in BC) it's still not anywhere near the level of say the Super 15, Aviva, Top14 and Magners leagues.
Professional rugby players play at a quicker pace because the game moves a lot quicker at that level and they consistently play tougher competition. Whereas at the amateur level, things move a little slower. While Im sure if you took both Canada and Tonga and gave them a fitness test you'd get similar results. However, Canada will tire quicker because the level of competition that some of them normally face isn't as high as what Tongans face, thus they have to work harder to keep up.

I have a few questions though:
Are Pritchard and Monro still good?
What about Ciaran Hearn? 220lbs on the wing, I hope he plays like it.
My friend back home keeps raving about how are backline defense is no longer like Luongo against Chicago. Is it really good or still average?

I have a few questions though:
Are Pritchard and Monro still good?
What about Ciaran Hearn? 220lbs on the wing, I hope he plays like it.
My friend back home keeps raving about how are backline defense is no longer like Luongo against Chicago. Is it really good or still average?

Pritchard and Monro are as good, if not better than they've ever been. Monro especially has improved a lot with his handling and defence skills. As far as Hearn goes, I'm not entirely sold on him. He's big, has a monster boot (and appears ok in defence), but he doesn't show a whole lot in attack like some of our other backs. Mackenzie and Pritchard are way better in my opinion. And the defence has improved a lot, they've been playing like Dominik Hasek circa 1998 lately :D. Granted that defence hasn't been tested against tier 1 opposition, but it has been good, nonetheless.

Monro has been composed, and effective in releasing the backline, Smith has mainly lost speed, which exposed itself big time in the Australian Barbarian match and makes him very vulnerable in the counterattacks and line breaks. He didn't play too poorly vs. The England Saxons at the Churchill cup though. Hearn has looked great at times but I agree with you CDN_Rugby the flair isn't there like it is with Pritch, DTH and Mackenzie. I wonder if Trainor will be brought on quickly if Smith appears to be struggling.

The defence has been outstanding the work Clive Griffiths has done should earn him a medal, as well the scrum has gotten to the point where it certainly isn't the weakest in the entire RWC(as it looked like it would be last November). As well Canada is playing much better 80 minute rugby than they have in some time, in many games I see now the team saves some of their best for the last quarter of the games.

#4-8 will be key to victory for Canada, Sinclair, Cudmore, Kleeberger, O'Toole and Carpenter I am extremely excited about, as well the capable Tyler Hotson and dynamic Nanyak Dala are available off the bench. Looks like Erichsen is out of favour for this lineup and I'd be really surprised if we see Kyne at all this RWC unless Crowley wants to give guys a run on the field vs. NZ.

15 mins till kickoff

Can't wait this should be a great game, I am super tired but the butterflies are in my stomach right now.

Hope TSN goes to the host feed soon, pre game with Gareth, Brian and Nigel is kind of boring...

Last edited:
Ahhh 530am, haven't seen you in a awhile.

I can't wait for this to start. Sounds like the kiwi and aussies commentators already wrote us off. Hopefully we can surprise and turn some heads.

Can't wait to hear my national anthem, haven't heard that since June. Canada's always does it best with half english/half french.

Edit: Aw crap that was butchered. It's a song, not a march people.

Last edited:
Ahhh 530am, haven't seen you in a awhile.

I can't wait for this to start. Sounds like the kiwi and aussies commentators already wrote us off. Hopefully we can surprise and turn some heads.

Can't wait to hear my national anthem, haven't heard that since June. Canada's always does it best with half english/half french.

I don't think there is anything from Quebec on the team the anthem should be played in full in English.

Looks super windy there...

The kiwis i'm listening to, certainly aren't writing off canada.

I like it half french half english, make us stand out. The Kiwi on ours said Tonga is just too much for Canada. Who knows, he could be onto something.

What did yours say?

Great try by the Canadians.
Tongans are dropping in shoulders all over the joint, and not taking the players totally out of the play. They need to learn to tackle correctly, that wouldn't have been as easy.
Stunning try tho.
And a hell of a conversion to follow.

DTH really does look world class.
Really impressed by Monro, has taken out his opposing number twice in big hits despite giving up 40 pounds to him.
You can really see the mobility of the Canadian pack taking its effect.

Sloppy so far, but an entertaining try by the Canadians have made it interesting.

I wonder if those two guys in the red body suits are the same two that dress in green at Canucks games. lol

Oof! Canada killing Tonga at the breakdown, and Tonga just cant hold onto the ball.

Latest posts