• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC: Tonga - Canada (14-09-2011, 17:00)

So far vBookie money is going to Canada :)

With Ed in the starting line up that seems like the only logical choice.

According to the Rugby Canada website, there has been a change to the game day roster. Swap Evans in for Hirayama on the reserve bench.

I don't buy that the Tongan's are going to physically dominate us as we bring our own physicality to the game as well

I predict these players are going to be the difference for Canada

jamie-cudmore-troisieme-ligne-de-clermont.jpg
chauncey_otoole.jpg
vander_1854413c.jpg

After watching the Tonga v. New Zealand game, I'm convinced that Tonga could be the toughest Pacific Island side at the RWC. With that said, Canada isn't looking too bad either having beaten Russia, U.S. (twice), Italy A, and Queensland in the past few months (not to mention a strong France A side last summer). Hopefully the short turn around is a disadvantage to the Tongans, but it might be detrimental to Canada too as they might be suffering from nerves while it won't affect the already tested Tongans.

As a Canadian fan, it's the Tongan forwards that worry me, not their backs. If Canada can keep their damage to a minimum and maybe get them to commit a few fouls around the ruck (hey, that happens with Tongans) then I would be happy. With guys like Mackenzie, DTH, Monro, Fairhurst, and Pritchard in the backs, I feel Canada can put up some points if they are given good ball.

My prediction is 24-20 Canada. Who knows though, It wouldn't shock me if one team just failed to show up and got smoked by 15+

I think the Tongan backs prove a much bigger threat in this game than they did versus the AB's. Against the AB's Tonga picked a very defensive minded backline, and didn't even use them on attack, but in this game they have a far more attacking backline. Moa can be very dangerous at 10 and can really set the backline going, and both Fatefehi and Piutau are both very powerful (and quite quick) midfielders. Haven't seen much of Helu (would have preferred to see Iongi again), but Vainikolo will be the biggest threat of all... mainly because he is a threat to both Canada and Tonga ;) When he's firing he can be near on impossible to stop, however he is likely to beat 4-5 players then throw a behind the back pass straight to a Canadian player for an intercept try. His defense at times reminds me of Quade Coopers, so I'd imagine Canada could target him.

I'm not necessarily saying that Tonga will cause Canada all sort of problems in the backs, but rather I expect Tonga to have a far more expansive game plan than the did versus the AB's, and that this team has the potential to cause Canada serious problems in the backs. Whether they do or not will depend on the quality of ball the receive, and the quality of Canada's backline defense. Can't wait for this game - should be a cracker.

According to the Rugby Canada website, there has been a change to the game day roster. Swap Evans in for Hirayama on the reserve bench.

Thats great news, Evans must be good to go, I'm guessing that is why Pritch got some minutes in it at #10 agaisnt Queensland, him and Evans might have to cover for Monro should anything happen. Perhaps Kleebergers beard can also provide some cover for Smith at #12!!!:D

Hopefully the lineout has been worked on, I wonder whether we will see Canada contest the Tongan throws, since we did not contest the Eagles in the second game or the Baa Baas.

Both sides have good goal kicking Morath is highly rated for Tonga and Pritchard is solid, as well Monro can fill in and Hearn has a big boot for long range efforts.

And it's time for our beautiful demi-god to make his entrance on to the world stage!!!!!!!! You will all worship His Edness!!!!

Last edited:
Go Tongaaaa!!!! I hope they win. They are naturally the better footballers but Canada aren't bad. But yea i'm all for Tonga.

I think the Tongan backs prove a much bigger threat in this game than they did versus the AB's. Against the AB's Tonga picked a very defensive minded backline, and didn't even use them on attack, but in this game they have a far more attacking backline. Moa can be very dangerous at 10 and can really set the backline going, and both Fatefehi and Piutau are both very powerful (and quite quick) midfielders. Haven't seen much of Helu (would have preferred to see Iongi again), but Vainikolo will be the biggest threat of all... mainly because he is a threat to both .

Helu is big and fast, good feet for a big unit. I like Moas running at 10, reminds me a bit of how Weepu plays there. He definitely adds more spark then Morath on attack. If Tonga get good front foor ball some of their back could run rampant. Have pretty much no idea about Canada so I'm looking forward to this one.

Go Tongaaaa!!!! I hope they win. They are naturally the better footballers but Canada aren't bad. But yea i'm all for Tonga.

wow easy on the drive by.....

Canada....to pick any other would be unpatriotic.

Shaggy if you get a divorce do you get expelled?

wow easy on the drive by.....

Canada....to pick any other would be unpatriotic.

Shaggy if you get a divorce do you get expelled?

Haha i just find the islanders have a hold onto rugby from a young age and produce some exciting plays. If Canada were to win it would have to be intelligently.

France have named their lineup to face Canada on Sunday already as well and massive changes are in order for the French. Strange to name it so early not even seeing how Canada will do against Tonga, here is the lineup...

France: Damien Traille; Vincent Clerc, David Marty, Maxime Mermoz, Aurelien Rougerie (capt); Francois Trinh-Duc, Morgan Parra; Jean-Baptiste Poux, William Servat, Luc Ducalcon; Pascal Pape, Romain Millo-Chluski; Fulgence Ouedraogo, Julien Bonnaire, Louis Picamoles.

Replacements: Guilhem Guirado, Fabien Barcella, Julien Pierre, Imanol Harinordoquy, Dimitri Yachvili, Fabrice Estebanez, Maxime Medard.

Really looking forward to this game! I am no expert on Canadian or Tongan rugby, in the past year I think I could count on one hand all the matches I have seen the two sides play, but it seems like it could go either way. The result will also have a big effect on the rest of Pool A. Tonga needs to notch a win, and Canada will be playing again in four days! That really is a tough scheduling draw.

I don't think there are two more physically inclined squads in this World Cup...
both squads love to mix it up and throw their bodies around in contact areas.

Going to very close but if Canada matches-up in the physical area and plays
with their brains --> Canada by 8.

Going to be one of the best games of Pool A to be sure - can't frickin' wait!!

3am for me, I believe, but not on tv in Brazil :mad:

In fact only USA vs Russia will be shown between now and Friday!

This sucks, I was looking forward to your insights as a passionate fan of the Americas whenever any of our countries take the field, I hear you are going to NZ though Melhor which is more than I can say I am doing. USA vs Russia is a compelling matchup at least though.

Latest posts