• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC Semi Final: France - Wales (15-08-2011, 21:00)

I wanted Wales to win as much as any other non-Welshman possibly could, and I was annoyed at what Warburton did. I know it wasn't deliberate, but it was very clearly dangerous, and just as clearly a red card offence.

Wales made a couple of stupid errors - Stephen Jones taking on the line inside the France 22 comes to mind, where Wales lost possession and then conceded a penalty.

I was really hoping Wales would win, there's no guarantee NZ will win tomorrow so I was hoping I'd have at least one team to support. I don't know who I'd rather see win, the Aussies (who I detest on principle), or the French, probably the most undeserving team to make the World Cup final off all time... But c'est la vie, well done France, you did just enough to get there.

Last edited:
Ah, maybe I have (English) rose tinted glasses on, but Martin Johnson, Neil Back, Richard Hill, Laurence Dallaglio, Jason Robinson, Josh Lewsey, Will Greenwood, Matt Dawson
All superb players who would be amongst the best in their positions in a greatest-of-all-time list

Agreed, and they would probably be at the very least in the top 50 of all time in their own positions for england but world rugby? (mostly your backline picks) but we'll just have to agree to disagree.
Although Jason Robinson and Wilkinson are by far and away some of the classiest backs I've ever seen play.

As for this game - France were very disappointing, and if their "Best" was the English game, their "Worst" was the Tongan game - then this game will be somewhere close to their best. If Australia play at their "Worst" (ie Against Ireland) and the AB's play at their "Worst" (against Aus in Brizzy) either team will still beat France by 15+.

In a nutshell -
France were deserved winners - they had more points.
Warburton deserved Red Card.
Wales deserved better for all their effort.
Sapolu deserved the dangerous tackle.

We don't always get what we deserve.

I think they're though, a little misguided in coaching but have the best player resource and a lot of attacking flair instead of one dimensional attacking play by the home nations teams.

no i think that france seem to be one dimensional and get back to me i think they have an above avarage defence with no flair like they used to the never looked like scoring trys today and i think that frances strength comes from kick and hope

Like to point out about the 'tackle' ...

If that is a red card then every 'dump tackle' should be a red then. There have been tackles similar during this RWC and nothing was called. Before a troller comes in ... Warburton was silly in what he did, but what I am saying ... is this now the precedent that is being set for these types of tackles. If the next one is not a red card then there's something wrong.

Last edited:
Totally gutted, I just can't believe it all ended in such a manner. I think the red card was harsh, deserved a yellow, but there was no malicious intent, just got it slightly wrong. It was still a silly thing to do, and he left himself open to such a decision. Very proud of the lads, they were phenomenal today in extremely difficult circumstances, and were still the best team on the park. Regardless of that red card, we should have won that game, and it was dissapointing to see Hook miss a couple of easy penalties and Stephen Jones not stepping up to take the drop goal when it was on. Faletau and Halfpenny were awesome, Roberts, Phillips and Lydiate did everything they could.

Gongratulations to the French for getting through to the final, but I've gotta say I feel they're extremely lucky to be there. They've barely put more than 30min of decent rugby together all tournament, and only just hung on to the win today despite being a man up for 60min. Unless they up their game considerably they're gonna get mullered by NZ or Aus in the final.

At least Wales did better against spears at Rorke's drift
biggrin.gif

Take a look at yourself really, even your own compatriots think you are an idiot.

+1 to that. Rhyer: you are either an Englishman trying to make us look like asses, either a genuine ass. In both cases, stfu.

Edit. We never deserved this win. We'll still win the WC though.

Last edited:
Totally gutted, I just can't believe it all ended in such a manner. I think the red card was harsh, deserved a yellow, but there was no malicious intent, just got it slightly wrong. It was still a silly thing to do, and he left himself open to such a decision. Very proud of the lads, they were phenomenal today in extremely difficult circumstances, and were still the best team on the park. Regardless of that red card, we should have won that game, and it was dissapointing to see Hook miss a couple of easy penalties and Stephen Jones not stepping up to take the drop goal when it was on. Faletau and Halfpenny were awesome, Roberts, Phillips and Lydiate did everything they could.

Gongratulations to the French for getting through to the final, but I've gotta say I feel they're extremely lucky to be there. They've barely put more than 30min of decent rugby together all tournament, and only just hung on to the win today despite being a man up for 60min. Unless they up their game considerably they're gonna get mullered by NZ or Aus in the final.

Honestly, the game would have looked much different if not for the red card, and France would have pushed the game like they did against England. From the 20th minute France saw themselves in the final, that's it.

Well maybe in the next game Sam, in a split second, will stop, think about it, then adjust his position, maybe work on his technique then try make the tackle only to find the player has scored. The point is, asking aggressive players with adrenaline pumping to always tackle fairly is ridiculous. Maybe Clerc should play touch in future and leave the rugby to warburton and faletau

Well maybe in the next game Sam will not hit a player lift him off his feet turn him so his feet are higher than his head, then drop him.

A red card for sure!!

Under the IRB "spear tackle" memorandum:

2) A tackler that lift a player above horizontal and drops him from a height with no regards to safety should be red carded.

-decisions of any official and referee should not be influence by the intentions of the tackler.

Once the tackler has lifted a player he has the sole responsibility for the safety of the player.

If that is a red card then every 'dump tackle' should be a red then. There have been tackles similar during this RWC and nothing was called. Before a troller comes in ... Warburton was silly in what he did, but what I am saying ... is this now the precedent that is being set for these types of tackles. If the next one is not a red card then there's something wrong.

There I fixed it...

Lol. to be fair, most tip tackles in the tournament were dealt with, and if it weren't in the match, then the player was cited...

What I think made it a straight red was the fact that Clerc landed directly on his head! he could've died!! Rolland has a habit for "overcharging" and what i mean by that is he's severely strict... Where most refs would just give a penalty, he'll give a yellow card...

Tough luck for Wales, congrats to France!

If that is a red card then every 'dump tackle' should be a red then. There have been tackles similar during this RWC and nothing was called. Before a troller comes in ... Warburton was silly in what he did, but what I am saying ... is this now the president that is being set for these types of tackles. If the next one is not a red card then there's something wrong.

No. A dump tackle does not meet the description of "lift and tip" then "drop or drive"

Also, a dump tackle can be executed safely, because the player lands on their back, infinitely better than landing on your head/neck.

No. A dump tackle does not meet the description of "lift and tip" then "drop or drive"

Also, a dump tackle can be executed safely, because the player lands on their back, infinitely better than landing on your head/neck.

Sorry but a dump tackle is the same. Can land on the neck with that one also ... therefore not safe.

Steve Rider-"if there was any justice in the world wales would be in the final but they have the admiration of the rugby world"
Would rather be in the final tbh.

+1 to that. Rhyer: you are either an Englishman trying to make us look like asses, either a genuine ass. In both cases, stfu.

Edit. We never deserved this win. We'll still win the WC though.

Just because you're French and I'm French doesn't mean we're the same or have the same ideas. You have been buying this Welsh hype that any home nations team seems to spout whenever they get a win. Ireland for the World Cup in 2007? 2011? Please... Wales arrogant as ever because they played Ireland in the Quarters? They were the worst team in the top 8. They beat Australia but where are Australia now? England fluked their way to the top of the pool and got dropped due to their one dimensional passing the ball flat tactic on attack. If Wales deserved to be in the Final then they should have beaten France and South Africa (who were also dropped in the quarters).

So...Wales are one dimensional yet scored a try with 14 men? What does that make the French attack if they didn't score vs 14 men? Majority of line breaks they made were in the gap that Warburton usually covers.
Don't mind him he's a c**k.

@Lydiate + Thug

You are embarassing yourself. Rules the same are for everyone, and they are what differentiates rugby from Brazilian street fighting.
There may be a debate on red or yellow card, but questionning the existence of the rule is just silly.

Latest posts