• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC Semi Final: France - Wales (15-08-2011, 21:00)

exactly but it should have been a yellow not a red it was acenental he wasnt even looking
As far as I know the ref doesn't have the yellow option.

Warbuton said in an interview he thought it was an OK tackle and he went straight to contest the ball on the ground. But that means he dropped the player so he could get to the ball, rather than bring the player safely to ground. Tough way to learn that lesson.

Too much technicality talk concerning tackles, why not just ban all lifting in tackles, dumping or otherwise. Also to people saying 'he should not have done that etc.' How easy is it really for players, in the heat of the moment, to consider what to do. Split seconds are not available.

Just because you're French and I'm French doesn't mean we're the same or have the same ideas. You have been buying this Welsh hype that any home nations team seems to spout whenever they get a win. Ireland for the World Cup in 2007? 2011? Please... Wales arrogant as ever because they played Ireland in the Quarters? They were the worst team in the top 8. They beat Australia but where are Australia now? England fluked their way to the top of the pool and got dropped due to their one dimensional passing the ball flat tactic on attack. If Wales deserved to be in the Final then they should have beaten France and South Africa (who were also dropped in the quarters).

In the world cup semi final and 2nd in the World rankings.

@Lydiate + Thug

You are embarassing yourself. Rules the same are for everyone, and they are what differentiates rugby from Brazilian street fighting.
There may be a debate on red or yellow card, but questionning the existence of the rule is just silly.

Oi ... he's not exactly a dirty player compared to others.

About the red card. It was a wrong call in my opinion. Warburton lifted Clerc largely because of the speed he was going at, to slow him down. The law states that if this happens you must drive the player into the ground. He attempted this, but lost control of him. Therefore this is careless, not malicious. That makes it a yellow card offence in my opinion, not red. It was not the best idea from Warburton but it was not a red. This was a game changer.

The sad thing is we had the chances to win this. Hook was diabolical and don't expect to see him wearing the Wales No.10 shirt any time soon. Jones was an improvement but not great. The missed kicks and drop-goals cost us dear also. We really missed Priestland today.

Rolland didn't have a bad game at ref. But would the red card have gone our way if it was someone else. I'm not saying Rolland was intentionally biased, but he probably would favour France in the 50-50 calls. Players can represent a country in which there grandparents were born, why are refs aloud to ref a match in which a parent of their's comes from?

Too much technicality talk concerning tackles, why not just ban all lifting in tackles, dumping or otherwise. Also to people saying 'he should not have done that etc.' How easy is it really for players, in the heat of the moment, to consider what to do. Split seconds are not available.
Because that's stupid horrible idea that would really upset me

Just because you're French and I'm French doesn't mean we're the same or have the same ideas. You have been buying this Welsh hype that any home nations team seems to spout whenever they get a win. Ireland for the World Cup in 2007? 2011? Please... Wales arrogant as ever because they played Ireland in the Quarters? They were the worst team in the top 8. They beat Australia but where are Australia now? England fluked their way to the top of the pool and got dropped due to their one dimensional passing the ball flat tactic on attack. If Wales deserved to be in the Final then they should have beaten France and South Africa (who were also dropped in the quarters).

France are out mate. Just accept it. Better luck in 4 years

Sorry but a dump tackle is the same. Can land on the neck with that one also ... therefore not safe.
The only way a player can hit the ground head first, is if their head is lower than any other part of their body, and the only way that can happen is if they have been rotated into that position.

Personally, I do not understand why anyone does not think this is a red card. The Spear Tackle memorandum has been in force for over two years. How stupid can a player be to put himself at risk of a red card by grabbing the opponent below the hips and lifting him up.

Only ONE PERSON was responsible for ruining the game, Warburton

He lifted the French player up (not Rolland)
He turned the French player over (not Rolland)
He dropped the French player on his head (not Rolland)

Warburton should be buying the drinks for his team-mates for the next four years as penance for his act of sheer stupidity.

Heartbreaking, I feel really gutted tbh, worse than when England whent out because this was an injustice. But at the same time Wales did not know how to win that game they deserved to win it, but they couldn't close it out.

Horrible decision for the red card, it was never a red card and he should have gone to the touchjudge for clearance, bad reffing. Not the first time this WC though... Yellow yes, red no.

We were very lucky to go through this, so you just cannot say that Wales never deserved to win. That's very arrogant and not true.

France are out mate. Just accept it. Better luck in 4 years

I don't care if they lose to Australia or New Zealand but I will not accept France losing to Ireland, Wales or England. So much hype and arrogance by the supporters with nothing to back it up. Plus most of them are fair weather rugby fans, only give a **** when you win a game, you're not true fans of rugby.

I'm afraid that I saw the tackle as a RC offence. It looked very dangerous at full speed.

The RC did not settle the game. Wales had a number of opportunities to finish off the game. They missed numerous kicks at goal, and were tactically poor in the last ten minutes.

@Lydiate + Thug

You are embarassing yourself. Rules the same are for everyone, and they are what differentiates rugby from Brazilian street fighting.
There may be a debate on red or yellow card, but questionning the existence of the rule is just silly.

Where have i questioned the rules, i have simply stated that the players are sometimes unable to have control in the tackle.

About the red card. It was a wrong call in my opinion. Warburton lifted Clerc largely because of the speed he was going at, to slow him down. The law states that if this happens you must drive the player into the ground. He attempted this, but lost control of him. Therefore this is careless, not malicious. That makes it a yellow card offence in my opinion, not red. It was not the best idea from Warburton but it was not a red. This was a game changer.

The sad thing is we had the chances to win this. Hook was diabolical and don't expect to see him wearing the Wales No.10 shirt any time soon. Jones was an improvement but not great. The missed kicks and drop-goals cost us dear also. We really missed Priestland today.

Rolland didn't have a bad game at ref. But would the red card have gone our way if it was someone else. I'm not saying Rolland was intentionally biased, but he probably would favour France in the 50-50 calls. Players can represent a country in which there grandparents were born, why are refs aloud to ref a match in which a parent of their's comes from?

Sums it up for me. Does look like he lost control of Clerc rather than intentionally dropping him.
Can see a back row of 6. Jones 7. Lydiate and 8. Faletau - thought Faletau stepped into Warburtons role as the 'fetcher' brilliantly.

Just saw that somebody posted this on Facebook:

NZ Herald: It was not a spear tackle but it was dangerous and merited a penalty and a yellow card. Instead the collective wisdom of Alain Rolland and his assistants Wayne Barnes and Johnathan Kaplan - three of the most officious, pedantic men on the world refereeing scene decided it warranted instant dismissal.

I don't care if they lose to Australia or New Zealand but I will not accept France losing to Ireland, Wales or England. So much hype and arrogance by the supporters with nothing to back it up. Plus most of them are fair weather rugby fans, only give a **** when you win a game, you're not true fans of rugby.
Back in your dungeon you cock...

Latest posts