• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC Quarter Final: Ireland - Wales (08-10-2011, 18:00)

If Wales can play with that same intensity as the QF they will have a superb cut off the All Black and well if they turn up ready and the French decide to bring their A game then this has the makings to be 1 of the games of RWC history

So, to all those Irishmen who whooped and hollered when Ireland beat Australia in the pool game and said "we now know we can beat southern hemisphere teams".... Fat lot of good it did you. Looks like Ireland's focus was on the wrong end of the tournament. And unsurprisingly Australia, who you beat, are through to the semis. Be careful what you wish for!!!

I hope you enjoyed your 5 minutes of gloating cos with retirements etc it's all bad news for ireland now. And as it is the best you've ever done is QFs..... Baahaaaa

Wow, I've never seen someone be a combination of a bad winner and a bad loser before

So, to all those Irishmen who whooped and hollered when Ireland beat Australia in the pool game and said "we now know we can beat southern hemisphere teams".... Fat lot of good it did you. Looks like Ireland's focus was on the wrong end of the tournament. And unsurprisingly Australia, who you beat, are through to the semis. Be careful what you wish for!!!

I hope you enjoyed your 5 minutes of gloating cos with retirements etc it's all bad news for ireland now. And as it is the best you've ever done is QFs..... Baahaaaa

We were so foolish to celebrate our victory over Australia! Please have mercy mighty semi-finalist!

I hope you enjoyed your 5 minutes of gloating cos with retirements etc it's all bad news for ireland now.
Make the most of your 5 mins, it's the All Blacks at Eden Park next weekend... ^_^

Don't think retirements will kill us badly as there is ready replacements for most who will go.

As for the gloating about the beating of Wallabies please remember 2 thing,
1) We showed alot of respect by considering it such an achievement to beat a team of Aus's class.
2) Before you slate anyone please remember it was your own country and journalists that were disrespectful to Ireland before the game with comments such as "They may as well enjoy atmosphere because they've no chance" and "This result has been decided since the draw was made".

And well winning graciously and accepting defeat is part of being a good sport and hope you learn that regardless of the result in SF.

Must say it was nice to see all us Irish still be proud of our team and respect they didn't let us down just simply lost to a better team on the day and well we all acknowledged that and fair play to Welsh supporters they were respectectful winners. And well I really hope they can go on to win it.

What's Nagle like these days munstermuffin? I imagine himself and Tuohy will probably be our next 2nd row partners after POC and DOC go. The position we're msot set in is the wing. Munster, Leinster and Ulster all have quality young wings like Conway, Gilroy, Zebo and Carr. Not to mention the fact that all our current international wings like Earls, McFadden, Bowe, Trimble and Fitzgerald have years left to play. I can't help but feel we should start getting some of these lads to play centre. We have no suitable replacemenets for O'Driscoll. I can see Fitz and McFadden being the 12-13 partners in a year or 2 but neither could nearly fill the hole BOD is going to leave behind.

What's Nagle like these days munstermuffin? I imagine himself and Tuohy will probably be our next 2nd row partners after POC and DOC go. The position we're msot set in is the wing. Munster, Leinster and Ulster all have quality young wings like Conway, Gilroy, Zebo and Carr. Not to mention the fact that all our current international wings like Earls, McFadden, Bowe, Trimble and Fitzgerald have years left to play. I can't help but feel we should start getting some of these lads to play centre. We have no suitable replacemenets for O'Driscoll. I can see Fitz and McFadden being the 12-13 partners in a year or 2 but neither could nearly fill the hole BOD is going to leave behind.
I agree we don't have a natural 13 to replace BOD but then if we are fair we will never in our lifetime have a 13 like that man again. I seen him walk off the pitch on Saturday and well it's clear the wear and tear of 12/13 years international rugby and the bravery is catching up on him. But as you say I've no worries about our backs as Sexton & Murray are still young and well plenty of challengers coming along nicely. JJ Hanrahan in a few years will be a nice 12 but I wouldn't worry as McFadden, Fitz and a few more ell up to job too.
As for Nagle I see him every day when he trains with Munster and well he looks the part but then two things worry me.
1) He seems to be prone to getting a ****le at the wrong time.
2) He came on there last Saturday and well it was scary how thin and lack of muscle he had compared to others, we badly need to build him a bit more but he has the skills.

I really think Irish rugby will build from this RWC and we will be better long-term.

I meant to neg rep you...as you are an arsehole but I accidentally plus repped you...I will fix this asap

I've been thinking this for weeks and I'm gunna say it , I rate Steven Ferris over Sean O'Brien

*prepares for verbal abuse *

Edit : forgot to say I can see Cave as the only real outside centre :)

Last edited:
I've been thinking this for weeks and I'm gunna say it , I rate Steven Ferris over Sean O'Brien

fully entitled to think that ...

You're wrong though xp

I think they're both overrated by some irish. Ferris is a good player, perhaps very good, but he's not really outstanding. He'd struggle to get into the ABs, Wobs, Boks, Eng or Fra.
Sean O'Brien is an outstanding player, that would certainly walk into any team's 30 and would start in most sides. But in this forum, when you say any less than "SOB should be handed the presidency of the universe", some posters bang you as if they were his b*tches.

I think they're both overrated by some irish. Ferris is a good player, perhaps very good, but he's not really outstanding. He'd struggle to get into the ABs, Wobs, Boks, Eng or Fra.
Sean O'Brien is an outstanding player, that would certainly walk into any team's 30 and would start in most sides. But in this forum, when you say any less than "SOB should be handed the presidency of the universe", some posters bang you as if they were his b*tches.

I agree that both players are slightly overrated by Irish fans (but that is always true of any player). I disagree with you about Ferris struggling to get into any team other than the AB's, Boks and possibly France. On his day, Croft is a great player, but he hasn't shown it for a while, and Ferris is a very different player. A Ferris type of player is exactly what England are missing, someone to graft and do all the donkey work. Aus have Elsom, but again, he's not been at his best since returning from Ireland, so a player of Ferris' class would have every chance of getting into that team. Lydiate has come through for Wales and he's been awesome, still wouldn't mind a player like Ferris in or around the team though.

I personally feel, SOB is slightly more overrated, and I also think Ferris is the better player. SOB is a great ball carrier, but Wales showed how to stop him, and he wasn't that effective in the game. Still a top operator who will surely get better and better, and add more and more to his game. It's just the way I feel at the moment. One game does not make these players poor. They were outplayed on the day by a flying Welsh team full of confidence, the two Grand Slams show how dangerous a Welsh team with confidence can be. Come 6 nations I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Irish backrow got the upper hand, we'll see.

I agree we don't have a natural 13 to replace BOD but then if we are fair we will never in our lifetime have a 13 like that man again. I seen him walk off the pitch on Saturday and well it's clear the wear and tear of 12/13 years international rugby and the bravery is catching up on him. But as you say I've no worries about our backs as Sexton & Murray are still young and well plenty of challengers coming along nicely. JJ Hanrahan in a few years will be a nice 12 but I wouldn't worry as McFadden, Fitz and a few more ell up to job too.
As for Nagle I see him every day when he trains with Munster and well he looks the part but then two things worry me.
1) He seems to be prone to getting a ****le at the wrong time.
2) He came on there last Saturday and well it was scary how thin and lack of muscle he had compared to others, we badly need to build him a bit more but he has the skills.

I really think Irish rugby will build from this RWC and we will be better long-term.

I really think Eoin O'Malley can become a world class centre, if he can reproduce the sort of performance he had against Clermont away last year he wouldn't be a half bad replacement for BO'D.

I really think Eoin O'Malley can become a world class centre, if he can reproduce the sort of performance he had against Clermont away last year he wouldn't be a half bad replacement for BO'D.

I agree. At least he caan become very good, alhough expecting him to be like BOD is obviously too demanding.

I worry about O'Malley these days. He was good last season but he's looked pretty weak at 13 so far this season in my opinion.

Latest posts