• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RBS 6 Nations - Ireland vs Wales - (05/02/2012 -15:00)

If that's true then I'll be over the moon. Lydiate will be a big loss, but Ryan is in excellent form, and can slot back in well. Gill will be a bit of a surprise if true, because I personally think Bevington is an excellent all round player, who could go someway to filling in for Jenkins' loss in the loose. Probably just not seen enough of Gill recently to fully understand his current form.

Other than that, the team is as expected really. That's a pretty beasty backline, with 5 out of 7 pushing 15 stone (over 16 in Roberts, North and Cuthberts cases). I know it's not a very exciting gameplan, but I'd personally bombard Ireland's centres with wave after wave of hard, straight running. Get them all involved, who the hell do you target when Roberts, North, Davies and Cuthbert are capable of bursting a tackle to score?

Of course, alot of this depends on the forwards producing enough quality ball in the correct areas of the field. We should have the slight edge scrum time, but nothing majour, quality ball should be almost guaranteed though. With Ian Evans, lineout should be reletively good aswell (although this can fall apart at any time it seems). The backrow is still of a very high quality, despite missing Lydiate. I don't think Warburton is quite as effective without his parter in crime, but I'd still expect him to be the dominant figure at the breakdown, especially because Ireland still don't have an out and out 7.

Honestly, if this is the team, I'm feeling reletively confident. Ireland are always gonna be tough at home, and they should probably deservedly go into this game as slight favourites, but I see Wales having the edge in most areas of the game. Ireland's backrow are perfectly capable of really clicking on the day and getting the upper hand (especially with Ferris in such phenomenal form), and O'Connell could completely dismantle our lineout, but I don't think either will happen to such an extent that they'll run away with the game.

I think the ultimate difference between the teams will be Wales' power in the backs, in both attack and defense. So I think we'll edge it by 5-8.

Not sure about Best over Bennett. Bennet was one of the best hookers at the WC, just depends if he can continue that. I'd Say draw.

Ian Evans over DOC any day of the week, considering DOC's current form. Ian Evans is back to something approaching good form. Davies aint no push-over either, although I agree O'Connell would pip it.

Faletau over Heaslip please.

Priestland over Sexton aswell. Priestland is the best NH fly-half at the moment, and was up there as the best in the WC. Sexton is perfectly capable of being better on the day, granted, but still...

Tough decision on North v Bowe as you say. I'd take North, currently in better form.

Ah here...Priestland had a great world cup...but an on form Sexton is the NH's top dog at 10.

However I too would give wales the benefit with Bennet and Evans over their Irish counterparts.

If that's true then I'll be over the moon. Lydiate will be a big loss, but Ryan is in excellent form, and can slot back in well. Gill will be a bit of a surprise if true, because I personally think Bevington is an excellent all round player, who could go someway to filling in for Jenkins' loss in the loose. Probably just not seen enough of Gill recently to fully understand his current form.

Other than that, the team is as expected really. That's a pretty beasty backline, with 5 out of 7 pushing 15 stone (over 16 in Roberts, North and Cuthberts cases). I know it's not a very exciting gameplan, but I'd personally bombard Ireland's centres with wave after wave of hard, straight running. Get them all involved, who the hell do you target when Roberts, North, Davies and Cuthbert are capable of bursting a tackle to score?

Of course, alot of this depends on the forwards producing enough quality ball in the correct areas of the field. We should have the slight edge scrum time, but nothing majour, quality ball should be almost guaranteed though. With Ian Evans, lineout should be reletively good aswell (although this can fall apart at any time it seems). The backrow is still of a very high quality, despite missing Lydiate. I don't think Warburton is quite as effective without his parter in crime, but I'd still expect him to be the dominant figure at the breakdown, especially because Ireland still don't have an out and out 7.

Honestly, if this is the team, I'm feeling reletively confident. Ireland are always gonna be tough at home, and they should probably deservedly go into this game as slight favourites, but I see Wales having the edge in most areas of the game. Ireland's backrow are perfectly capable of really clicking on the day and getting the upper hand (especially with Ferris in such phenomenal form), and O'Connell could completely dismantle our lineout, but I don't think either will happen to such an extent that they'll run away with the game.

I think the ultimate difference between the teams will be Wales' power in the backs, in both attack and defense. So I think we'll edge it by 5-8.

Not sure about Best over Bennett. Bennet was one of the best hookers at the WC, just depends if he can continue that. I'd Say draw.

Ian Evans over DOC any day of the week, considering DOC's current form. Ian Evans is back to something approaching good form. Davies aint no push-over either, although I agree O'Connell would pip it.

Faletau over Heaslip please.

Priestland over Sexton aswell. Priestland is the best NH fly-half at the moment, and was up there as the best in the WC. Sexton is perfectly capable of being better on the day, granted, but still...

Tough decision on North v Bowe as you say. I'd take North, currently in better form.

Best was the best hooker at the WC Sexton's being playing amazing as has Heaslip it's close but I'd give it to those 2.

Best was the best? Debatable.

Not sure how relevant form from 5 months ago is either.

Best has been in fantastic form since then although he still has the occasional throwing wobble. I wouldn't discount Bennett though, he as far better at the WC than anyone expected him to be.

I would take Priestland over Sexton, although we've yet to see how Priestland recovers from his first loss of form at international rugby. I'm not certain I'd take a Priestland that has just recovered from injury over Sexton though.

WALES: Leigh Halfpenny; Alex Cuthbert, Jonathan Davies, Jamie Roberts, George North; Rhys Priestland, Michael Phillips; Rhys Gill, Huw Bennett, Adam Jones, Bradley Davies, Ian Evans, Ryan Jones, Sam Warburton (C), Toby Faletau.
Replacements: Ken Owens, Paul James, Andy Powell, Justin Tipuric, Lloyd Williams, James Hook, Scott Williams

WALES

15 Leigh HALFPENNY (CARDIFF BLUES – Cap No 1,060)
DoB: 22.12.88. 5’10” / 1.77m. 13st 2lbs / 83kgs
International record: 27 caps (W 12, L 15; 75 pts – 9T, 10PG)

14 Alex CUTHBERT (CARDIFF BLUES – Cap No 1,089)
DoB: 05.04.90. 6’6” / 1.98m. 16st 5lbs / 104kgs
International record: 1 cap (L 1)

13 Jonathan DAVIES (SCARLETS – Cap No 1,066)
DoB: 05.04.88. 6’1” / 1.86m. 16st 3lb / 103kgs
International record: 21 caps (W 11, L 10; 25 pts – 5T)

12 Jamie ROBERTS (CARDIFF BLUES – Cap No 1,057)
DoB: 08.11.86. 6’4” / 1.93m. 17st 5lbs / 110kgs
International record: 39 caps (W 18, L 21; 20 pts – 4T)

11 George NORTH (SCARLETS – Cap No 1,078)
DoB: 13.04.92. 6’4” / 1.92m. 16st 5lbs / 104kgs
International record: 16 caps (W 6, L 9, D 1; 45 pts – 9T)

10 Rhys PRIESTLAND (SCARLETS – Cap No 1,080)
DoB: 07.01.87 1.82m / 6’0”. 13st 9lbs / 87kgs
International record: 10 caps (W 6, L 4; 50 pts – 1T, 12C, 7PG)

9 Mike PHILLIPS (BAYONNE – Cap No 1,022)
DoB: 29.08.82. 6’3” / 1.91m. 15st 10lb / 101kgs
International record: 60 caps (W 28, L 29, D 2; 40 pts – 8T)

1 Rhys GILL (SARACENS – Cap No 1,073)
DoB: 30.10.86. 5’11” / 1.80m. 17st 2lbs / 109kgs
International record: 1 cap (L 1)

2 Huw BENNETT (OSPREYS – Cap No 1,017)
DoB: 11.06.83. 6’0” / 1.83m. 16st 8lbs / 105kgs
International record: 49 caps (W 23, L 25, D 1)

3 Adam JONES (OSPREYS – Cap No 1,018)
DoB: 08.03.81. 6’0” / 1.83m. 18st 12lb / 120kgs
International record: 75 caps (W 35, L 37, D 3; 10 pts – 2T)

4 Bradley DAVIES (CARDIFF BLUES – Cap No 1,065)
DoB: 09.01.87. 6’6” / 1.98m. 19st 1lbs / 121kgs
International record: 32 caps (W 14, L 17, D 1)

5 Ian EVANS (OSPREYS – Cap No 1,045)
DoB: 04.10.84. 6’8” / 2.04m. 18st 3lbs / 116kgs
International record: 17 caps (W 6, L 10, D 1; 5 pts – 1T)

6 Ryan JONES (OSPREYS – Cap No 1,029)
DoB: 13.03.81. 6’5” / 1.96m. 17st 5lbs / 110kgs
International record: 58 caps (W 28, L 28, D 2; 5 pts – 1T)

7 Sam WARBURTON (CARDIFF BLUES, CAPTAIN – Cap No 1,070)
DoB: 05.10.88. 1.88m / 6’2”. 16st 4lbs / 103kgs
International record: 24 caps (W 12, L 12; 10 pts - 2T)

8 Toby FALETAU (NEWPORT GWENT DRAGONS – Cap No 1,082)
DoB: 12.11.90. 1.88m / 6’2”. 17st 5lbs / 110kgs
International record: 11 caps (W 5, L 6; 10 pts – 2T)

REPLACEMENTS:

16 Ken OWENS (SCARLETS – Cap No 1,088)
DoB: 03.01.87. 6’1” / 1.86m. 17st 8lbs / 112kgs
International record: 1 cap (W 1)

17 Paul JAMES (OSPREYS – Cap No 1,021)
DoB: 13.05.82. 6’1” / 1.86m. 18st 2lbs / 115kgs
International record: 31 caps (W 12, L 18, D 1)

18 Andy POWELL (SALE SHARKS – Cap No 1,061)
DoB: 23.08.81. 6’4” / 1.94m. 18st 0lbs / 114kgs
International record: 22 caps (W 12, L 10; 5 pts – 1T)

19 Justin TIPURIC (OSPREYS – Cap No 1,086)
DoB: 06.08.89. 1.88m / 6’2” 15st 10lbs / 100kgs
International record: 2 caps (W 1, L 1)

20 Lloyd WILLIAMS (CARDIFF BLUES – Cap No 1,087)
DoB: 30.11.89. 6’0” / 1.83m. 13st 9lbs / 87kgs
International record: 5 caps (W 3, L 2; 10 pts – 2T)

21 James HOOK (PERPIGNAN – Cap No 1,047)
DoB: 27.06.85. 6’0” / 1.83m. 14st 12lbs / 94kgs
International record: 59 caps (W 25, L 32, D 2; 326 pts – 12T, 40C, 58PG, 4DG)

22 Scott WILLIAMS (SCARLETS – Cap No 1,084)
DoB: 10.10.90. 6’0” / 1.83m. 15st 3lbs / 97kgs
International record: 8 caps (W 4, L 4; 20 pts – 4T)

Christ but we're in trouble in the centre, I can't see Earls and D'Arcy handling the Welsh fatties. I've no clue how this game will go, I thought Wales didn't have a hope against us in the WC and we all know how that went. As for the Priestland/Sexton argument, at the moment Sexton is easily the best 10 in Europe, if he can transfer his club form to the international stage then it's no contest. That's a BIG "if" though.

Well I'm Happy with that team, its arguably the strongest we could put out due to injuries etc. Gutted no place for Ashley Beck - Had a real good run of form (and obvs for the Orange One, cause I just get all sorts of fuzzyness inside when he's on the pitch :p :p).

I cannot wait for this game, really can't. The anticipation is killing me, especially after having a "staring role" in this weeks "Jonathon" - those that understand Welsh/don't mind subtitles can see me accidentally sabotage The Great Gerald Davies' kicks at goal :( :( lol

Gonna be very interesting if the injuries have some sort of effect on Roberts and Priestland.

Back 3 looks very exiting, 2 huge wingers and a nippy Full-Back (works for me :D)

EXITED!!!!

Very solid looking team. I guess now we're going to see what Earls is made of in the centre because Davies, North, Phillips, Cuthbert and Roberts are all bloody massive! We should be okay out wide as Bowe and Trimble are solid defenders and Murray is a decent unit at the back of the pack too.

One thing, if Earls and O'Gara are on the field together for more than about 5 minutes we will leak tries.

EDIT: Scratch all that! Earls out with injury, Mcfadden at 13, Dave Kearney at 22!

Last edited:
Very solid looking team. I guess now we're going to see what Earls is made of in the centre because Davies, North, Phillips, Cuthbert and Roberts are all bloody massive! We should be okay out wide as Bowe and Trimble are solid defenders and Murray is a decent unit at the back of the pack too.

One thing, if Earls and O'Gara are on the field together for more than about 5 minutes we will leak tries.

EDIT: Scratch all that! Earls out with injury, Mcfadden at 13, Dave Kearney at 22!

Although it's never cool to be happy about an injury but, WOO-HOO.

Maybe not as great on the attack as Earls but a damn sight better defender which in international rugby is the more important aspect of a centre's game.

Last edited:
Although it's never cool to be happy about an injury but, WOO-HOO.

Certainly an improvement defensively, but some of the flaws in Earls' game are also present in McFadden's. He doesn't really pass enough for me, although he has come on in this aspect in the last few months. He's a better 12 than 13, but I'd rather have him than Earls I guess. Such a shame that Darren Cave is out.

Certainly an improvement defensively, but some of the flaws in Earls' game are also present in McFadden's. He doesn't really pass enough for me, although he has come on in this aspect in the last few months. He's a better 12 than 13, but I'd rather have him than Earls I guess. Such a shame that Darren Cave is out.

Agreed, I'd much rather have a guy with a stronger defense than offense rather than the opposite at international rugby. Especially at 13.

Well I've just had another look at the Team and WOW that Big line is monsterous!!!! Anyone else ever seen a welsh backline with so much height and weight??? Halfpenny's probably the smallest and he's like brick wall!! :p

Probably a good thing to have McFadden in seeing as Earls hasn't trained all week, and McFadden defends better.

Earls is out because his new baby is ill in 'Da Hospiddle', Earls isn't injured, so expect him back for next week.

Note: I can't sign in with my Monkeypigeon Profile, any idea what's up with that? I'll send the error message to an admin once I'm home from 'Uni'.

Well I've just had another look at the Team and WOW that Big line is monsterous!!!! Anyone else ever seen a welsh backline with so much height and weight??? Halfpenny's probably the smallest and he's like brick wall!! :p

Its one of the biggest backlines I've ever seen from any team in the world, if not the biggest.

Even without Earls at #13 I can still see the line getting broken a fair bit with 4 massive players running at em :|

Probably a good thing to have McFadden in seeing as Earls hasn't trained all week, and McFadden defends better.

Earls is out because his new baby is ill in 'Da Hospiddle', Earls isn't injured, so expect him back for next week.

Note: I can't sign in with my Monkeypigeon Profile, any idea what's up with that? I'll send the error message to an admin once I'm home from 'Uni'.

I got that error when I tried to sign in from college too oddly enough. Something with a 141 in it if I remember?

I wish I wasn't so happy about earls being injured:D. While I don't think that McFadden is a great 13 the fact that he actually is a center makes him much more acceptable then just a wing in the 13 jersey.

EDIT: Just seen monkeys post

Last edited:

Latest posts