• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RBS 6 Nations - Ireland vs Wales - (05/02/2012 -15:00)

Getofmeland

The Dorset Drinker
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Bath
6Nations.jpg

Aviva Stadium (05/02/2012 - 15:00)

Ireland.png
Versus Challenge.png
Wales.png

[TABLE="class: grid, align: center"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD]Ireland[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]Wales[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Rob Kearney[/TD]
[TD]15[/TD]
[TD]Leigh Halfpenny[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Tommy Bowe[/TD]
[TD]14[/TD]
[TD]Alex Cuthbert[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Fergus McFadden[/TD]
[TD]13[/TD]
[TD]Jonathan Davies[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Gordon D'Arcy[/TD]
[TD]12[/TD]
[TD]Jamie Roberts[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Andrew Trimble[/TD]
[TD]11[/TD]
[TD]George North[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Johnny Sexton[/TD]
[TD]10[/TD]
[TD]Rhys Priestland[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Conor Murray[/TD]
[TD]9[/TD]
[TD]Mike Phillips[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Jamie Heaslip[/TD]
[TD]8[/TD]
[TD]Toby Faletau[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Sean O'Brien[/TD]
[TD]7[/TD]
[TD]Sam Warburton[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Stephen Ferris[/TD]
[TD]6[/TD]
[TD]Ryan Jones[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Paul O'Connell (C)[/TD]
[TD]5[/TD]
[TD]Ian Evans[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Donnacha O'Callaghan[/TD]
[TD]4[/TD]
[TD]Bradley Davies[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Mike Ross[/TD]
[TD]3[/TD]
[TD]Adam Jones[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Rory Best[/TD]
[TD]2[/TD]
[TD]Huw Bennett[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Cian Healy[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]Rhys Gill[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Sean Cronin[/TD]
[TD]16[/TD]
[TD]Ken Owens[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Tom Court[/TD]
[TD]17[/TD]
[TD]Paul James[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Donnacha Ryan[/TD]
[TD]18[/TD]
[TD]Andy Powell[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Peter O'Mahoney[/TD]
[TD]19[/TD]
[TD]Justin Tipuric[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Eoin Reddan[/TD]
[TD]20[/TD]
[TD]Lloyd Williams[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Ronan O'Gara[/TD]
[TD]21[/TD]
[TD]James Hook[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Dave Kearney[/TD]
[TD]22[/TD]
[TD]Scott Williams[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Last edited by a moderator:
We can and I think should win this home game, Wales are without A-W Jones, Charteris, Williams and possibly Roberts, Jenkins and Lydiate. Also Priestland isn't kicking well and though I haven't seen much of him I'm told Philips is in poor form. If we play:

1. Healy
2. Best
3. Ross
4. Ryan
5. O'Connell
6. Ferris
7. O'Brien
8. Heaslip
9. Murray
10. Sexton
11. Fitzgerald
12. McFadden
13. O'Malley
14. Bowe
15. Kearney

I'd say we'd win however knowing Kidney it'll be something like:
1. Healy 2. Best 3. Ross
4. O'Callaghan 5. O'Connell
6. Ferris 8. Heaslip 7. O'Brien
9. Murray
10. O'Gara
12. D'arcy
13. Earls
11. McFadden 14. Bowe
15. Kearney.
Can still win just no where near as likely.

EDIT: WTF 2nd team was laid out lie an actual tea why'd it invert?

Going to be interesting to see what side Wales put out - half of them will have to be stretchered on to the pitch at this rate.

This is the match I'd like Ireland to win the most and I think if we do win this one it would be a great platform on which to push on from.

So much is riding on Kidney's selection. I really hope he selects Ryan at 4 and McFadden/ O'malley around in the centres however I must admit that having D'arcy playing with McFadden is probably best to start the tournament. I reckon he will play Earls at 13 however although that will not be the greatest selection, I don't think that will be the difference between winning and losing.

I hope to god that Lydiate is fit. I think he's the biggest potential loss, becuase he works so well alongside Warburton in defense. He's a master at tackling the ankles and getting the ball carrier down early (Shaun Edwards described him as the best in the world in this regard), which allows Warburton to follow him and jackle the ball. We've got replacements, with Ryan Jones ready to step in, but we do lose something without Lydiate.

Roberts would be another big loss. He battered Ireland in the WC quarters, and against a possible Earls at 13, I'd back him to batter them again. Again there are options if he's not, with plenty of players playing well at the moment, but Roberts is a very hard man to replace. Priestland is another big cog to this Wales team, Hook is there to step-in, but he'd need to improve hugely on his poor WC form. As for Priestland's kicking, I think we'll see Halfpenny taking over the kicking duties on a full-time basis, as he's done with the Blues. He's a world-class kicker, and now he's been given a run of games as primary kicker for the Blues, he's showing that he's got the short-range accuracy aswell as the long-range well range.

I think Gatland should go with something like:

01 Gethin Jenkins / Ryan Bevington (depends on whether Jenkins is fit)
02 Matthew Rees
03 Adam Jones
04 Bradley Davies
05 Ian Evans
06 Dan Lydiate / Ryan Jones (again, depend on whether Lydiate is fit)
07 Sam Warburton
08 Toby Faletau

09 Mike Phillips
10 Rhys Priestland / James Hook
11 George North
12 Jamie Roberts / Ashley Beck
13 Jon Davies
14 Alex Cuthbert
15 Leigh Halfpenny

16 Huw Bennett
17 Paul James
18 Ryan Jones / ??
19 Justin Tipuric
20 Lloyd Williams
21 James Hook / Gavin Henson
22 Lee Byrne

Not sure Who I'd have on the bench if Lydiate is ruled out and Ryan has to start.

Last edited:
Yeah Roberts would be a big loss if Earls and potentially O'Gara are picked for Ireland. TBH If I were Ireland I would play territory with some good kicks to the corner in order to pressure Wale's lineout and put Pressure on Priestland if he's playing.

Leigh has to be our first choice kicker. Getting more confident every match and able to pick himself up after missing a kick.

couldnt care about the result of course i want ireland to win but what i really want to see is d.ryan in the ireland jersey guy is just a beast!

ha, was in the gaeltacht with him, sound lad iswell, would love to see donnacha start..he's in tip top form alright. would like to see Tuohy getting a shot, doing well for Norn Iron and his work shoud be acknowledged more..whatever the pick I'll be supporting the team with hopefully a win :)

don't rate D'arce anymore...we should be looking for a replacement for him at this stage do you not agree?

Last edited by a moderator:
ha, was in the gaeltacht with him, sound lad iswell, would love to see donnacha start..he's in tip top form alright. would like to see Tuohy getting a shot, doing well for Norn Iron and his work shoud be acknowledged more..whatever the pick I'll be supporting the team with hopefully a win :)

don't rate D'arce anymore...we should be looking for a replacement for him at this stage do you not agree?

yes i agree with you 100%

James Coughlan has been called up to the Ireland squad. He's 31 so can hardly be called one for the future but who cares, he deserves it.

James Coughlan has been called up to the Ireland squad. He's 31 so can hardly be called one for the future but who cares, he deserves it.

Where did you see that? Saw the others drafted in but not him. Agree he deserves the call up even if he's not one for the next world cup.

Will be hitting up Dublin for this one :D can't wait! Likely to be burning a massive hole in my pocket if what everyone says about expensive drinks is true...

Is it just me, or do we always pick up a shite load of injury concerns just before the 6 Nations kicks off... it's frustrating!

Will be hitting up Dublin for this one :D can't wait! Likely to be burning a massive hole in my pocket if what everyone says about expensive drinks is true...

Is it just me, or do we always pick up a shite load of injury concerns just before the 6 Nations kicks off... it's frustrating!
Mmmmmate! I'm going too!! We are ****ing doing it!!!!

Agreed he deserves it - In fine form. Won't be a starter but will be a great battle between him and Jennings for bench. Jennings will probably win that battle through experience though.

Think Ireland really are at a crossroads now - This is a big Spring for Coaching team and Players. If we are to be considered a real deal we must win all 3 home games and at least 1 away game and if we are to loose an away game IT HAS TO BE BY NO MORE THAN 5-7points. We have to try be a benchmark in Europe.

This would be my starting line-up if the likes of Roberts, Priestland, Lydiate etc. are definitely injured:

1. Paul James
2. Matthew Rees
3. Adam Jones
4. Bradley Davies
5. Ian Evans
6. Ryan Jones
7. Sam Warburton (c)
8. Toby Faletau

9. Mike Phillips
10. James Hook
11. George North
12. Ashley Beck
13. Jonathan Davies
14. Leigh Halfpenny
15. Lee Byrne

Bench: 16. Ryan Bevington 17. Huw Bennett 18. Lou Reed 19. Justin Tipuric 20. Lloyd Williams 21. Stephen Jones 22. Gavin Henson

Latest posts