• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RBS 6 Nations - Ireland vs Wales - (05/02/2012 -15:00)

Who would you put at 13? I think whoever was put there would get criticised. It is a big jersey to fill and I hope Earls does his best. I think Kidney may have got some words in his ear from POC about having DOC start with him alright. I would not have started Ryan, hasn't had enough exposure, I could see him being subbed in around 50 minutes though, he will get playing time this weekend no doubt.

Last edited:
O'Malley with McFadden at 12 look at threads about replacing BO'D no one expects the replacement to live up to BO'D's reputation Earls is a good winger not a centre. Most people would rather O'Malley, McFadden, Cave (though he's injured), Bowe and possibly even Griffen ahead of Earls. Ryan is also the logical 2nd row to start and Tuohy on the bench on form.

centres ??? why deccie!
id understand if you picked one centre who was up to the job ... big game needed mr earls please prove me wrong

and doc
just saying doc about explains it :p

Earls shouldn't be there but if we can bring him into the game properly and his defence holds out then he could be useful, but thats more of a hope than an expectation. The selection of O'Callaghan is quite disgraceful really and completely unjustifiable. I like the look of our bench and hopefully if Earls and DOC do prove to be rubbish they will be taken off quickly.

The question is will those 2 selections prove enough to give Wales a sufficient advantage and would have the benched players made a great difference? I guess we'll have to wait untill Sunday.....

the lack of a natural 7 still gives me willies when I think of Warburton, I don't know what the decision on this would be, would it be mad thinking we should have dropped SOB and brought in jennings (and then sub SOB for Ferris at half time or something?!) it worries me, I'm having sleepless night

Kidney, you ****ing nob.

I had resigned myself to Earls, but DoC? HAVE YOU EVEN WATCHED ANY OF MUNSTER'S RECENT GAMES?!

I think DOC was POC's infleunce to be honest with you...on merit, Ryan and Touhy should be there, I hope DOC delivers but as you say, just sub him If he's doing rubbish, no problem

A fit Roberts steaming along with North coming in onto his shoulder. It could be the stuff of nightmares.

I am looking forward to this game so much. What with the teams selections, Wales having a mini injury crisis. It will be interesting to say the least.

I am struggling to pick the winner at the moment.

Lads Earls is at 13 and well while I agree it's not his best position his last to games were prob his best so far this season and both were at HEC level at 13.

Also I don't think Paulie had influence on DOC call as he was 100% ok with Ryan for Munster

Please let Roberts be fit. The memory of him steamrollering Earls in the WC quarter is vivid in my memory. If Roberts is fit, we've got three big carying backs (Roberts, North and Davies) who could really expose two sub standard defensive centres (D'Arcy is ok, but can fall off tackles). I think Ireland should be glad that O'Gara isn't starting, because a midfield trio of O'Gara, D-Arcy and Earls is a potential defensive nightmare!

Shame that Rees is injured again, but Bennett should step-up and Ken Owens is a great impact sub to have, as he's proven at the Scarlets.

Last edited:
Lads Earls is at 13 and well while I agree it's not his best position his last to games were prob his best so far this season and both were at HEC level at 13.

Also I don't think Paulie had influence on DOC call as he was 100% ok with Ryan for Munster

He's been injured a lot though this season right?

Anyway, it's pretty much what I expected in that Deccie got all the big calls wrong. DOC's selection is a bit farcical considering he's not first choice for Munster, as is D'arcy's.I'm less irritated about Earls at 13, but i still think it's the wrong call.

Urgh ... the way Wales hooker situation is going ... Emyr Phillips / Rhys T Thomas better get ready for a call up.

Listening to Donal Lenihan trying to justify the Irish selection is quite amusing.

Listening to Donal Lenihan trying to justify the Irish selection is quite amusing.

Ah ... Donal's the boy. To be honest I gave up listening to anything he said after watching him on the Lions 2001 Tour DVD.

Ah ... Donal's the boy. To be honest I gave up listening to anything he said after watching him on the Lions 2001 Tour DVD.

Hey, that Irish journalism for you. They make Stephen Jones look like a bloody genius.

Well, no, obviously not. But still.

Last edited:
Lenihan vs Jones battle of the idiots who think there experts.

Very predictable looking Ireland squad, the only name I'm not familiar with is Peter O'Mahoney. I think it is pretty good looking team - really happy to see Trimble starting on the wing, as I've been really impressed with him whenever I've seen him play over the last couple of seasons. Obviously there are question marks over the midfield, and as others have mentioned I expect they will be severely test by the likes Davies, Roberts (in fit), and Faletau. I'm still yet to be convinced with Murray at 9 - he seems a talented young player, but I wasn't impressed with his distribution at times during the RWC. Hopefully this was simply due to his lack of experience at international level.

Very predictable looking Ireland squad, the only name I'm not familiar with is Peter O'Mahoney. I think it is pretty good looking team - really happy to see Trimble starting on the wing, as I've been really impressed with him whenever I've seen him play over the last couple of seasons. Obviously there are question marks over the midfield, and as others have mentioned I expect they will be severely test by the likes Davies, Roberts (in fit), and Faletau. I'm still yet to be convinced with Murray at 9 - he seems a talented young player, but I wasn't impressed with his distribution at times during the RWC. Hopefully this was simply due to his lack of experience at international level.

That's the general consensus on Murray as far as I can tell. His problem is he takes the ball into contact far too much and can be a bit slow to get it out to the back line. If he can sort that out he'll be a very good player.

That's the general consensus on Murray as far as I can tell. His problem is he takes the ball into contact far too much and can be a bit slow to get it out to the back line. If he can sort that out he'll be a very good player.

Good, it wasn't just me then :) To me he played very similar to Mike Phillips.... this would be ok if he was around 104kg (like Phillips) rather than 86kg!

Oh, this one takes the biscuit! Gerry Thornley vindicates O'Callaghan's selection by asking how many man of the match awards did John Hayes win. Yup, Hayes not being a great tight head is a fantastic reason for picking Donncha. Sorry guys, don't buy it.