• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2020 Six Nations] Wales vs Italy (01/02/20)

Halfpenny was looking back to his 2011-2015 form. Going to be hard to drop him! Can see Liam Williams coming in at 14.

Tomos Williams other than one poor kick was very very good! Definately a more complete 9 than Davies who could rattle a few defences when tired on the 60 min mark.

Biggar has shown he played to a Gatland game plan and isnt as conservative as people say. I thought he went very well!

Wainwirght tackled hard but I think Shingler might be a better fit in the current back row.

Tomkins has to start. Dont care if its 12 or 13. He is miles ahead of the other centers in the squad in speed of thought and vision.

Last edited:
Halfpenny was looking back to his 2011-2015 form. Going to be hard to drop him! Can see Liam Williams coming in at 14.

Tomos Williams other than one poor kick was very very good! Definately a more complete 9 than Davies who could rattle a few defences when tired on the 60 min mark.

Biggar has shown he played to a Gatland game plan and isnt as conservative as people say. I thought he went very well!

Wainwirght tackled hard but I think Shingler might be a better fit in the current back row.

Tomkins has to start. Dont care if its 12 or 13. He is miles ahead of the other centers in the squad in speed of thought and vision.

lol if your comparing to HP pretty much speed in general.

Sorry not sure what you meant by that?

I was implying that Tomkins is all round quicker than Hadley Parks, (not that Hadley isn't quality, just isn't the quickest).

Cold light of day, a good enough job was done yesterday but LOADS to work on across Wales' game... obviously some of the coaches focus will need to be on the set piece this week, particularly the scrum. The slight mitigation in regards to the poor Welsh scrummaging being that due to the waterlogged training ground, Wales were apparently unable to complete any scrums during their first couple of weeks in camp. Hopefully that'll change in the build up to Dublin.

There was also a period after half time where Wales seemed to take their foot of the gas and lost momentum, which could prove far more costly moving forward. The defence looked decent though but will be interested to see how it holds up against more potent opponents. Hopefully the drop off after half time will be more to do with being the first game back and a new environment etc.

I wouldn't call the North at 13 experiment a failure but I'm still not convinced. With Hadleigh and Tompkins having good games I'd still be inclined to go with those two in the centres. I'd keep Tomos Williams at 9, his thought processing and decision making is as quick as I've seen... and he is very athletic (if not as quick as Davies). I'd probably change up the front row a bit with WGJ coming in maybe even to start at TH and I thought Evans looked more assured that Wyn Jones at LH. Maybe consider Hill to start instead of Ball too but it's a tough call.

Think both Wales and Ireland will be better next week and the match up should be pretty ***anic.

I agree, having now seen him in the Welsh team, North has hardly set the world alight at centre. A useful fallback option in case of injury, but I wouldnt start him there.
Perhaps for the next match start Liam on the wing - to be fair, Halfpenny did nothing wrong yesterday - and have North on the bench as injury cover and to come on around 50-60 min (Liams just coming back, I thing I'd assume he wouldnt play the full 80).

Not Falatau's greatest game either, but hes been out a while, I think I'd start him again and see how much of the rust wore off yesterday.

Apart from that, reasonably happy. New coach nerves, changes in style, and Wales first game of the 6N,yet they hammered Italy. Lots to improve on, but a satisfactory start.

Some interesting analysis by Shaun Holley on scrum v regarding the evolving attack I thought. Pivac trying to get our better footballing forwards into positions where they can do damage. So that means Tipuric standing in midfield/scrum half position lineout time instead of being one of our primary lineout jumpers like he was used under Gats. Faletau and Wainwright holding width in the wide channels where they can use their pace and power.

I thought the variety was excellent v Italy, and whilst the opposition weren't great, the intent was clear to see. The tactics certainly weren't just to throw the ball wide at every opportunity, they probed in all manner of ways inc. using the boot. Biggar playing far flatter also helped massively.

Up front I was impressed with the loose trio (Faletau looked very rusty which is understandable), but I was impressed with the impact some of the replacements brought. Firstly the scrum improved with the new front row which was important, but I thought Elias and Brown also brought some really dynamic powerful carrying to the table. Hill looked pacy and intelligent at lock, whilst Moriarty also looked hungry.

Personally I'd go with a pack of Evans, Owens, Brown, AWJ, Hill, Wainwright, Tips, Faletau v Ireland, although Moriarty at 6 would would be a big consideration as well. Backline goes again, but for Tompkins over North. If Liam is 100% then he'd maybe come in for McNicholl. North to cover centre/wing from the bench.

Some interesting analysis by Shaun Holley on scrum v regarding the evolving attack I thought. Pivac trying to get our better footballing forwards into positions where they can do damage. So that means Tipuric standing in midfield/scrum half position lineout time instead of being one of our primary lineout jumpers like he was used under Gats. Faletau and Wainwright holding width in the wide channels where they can use their pace and power.

I thought the variety was excellent v Italy, and whilst the opposition weren't great, the intent was clear to see. The tactics certainly weren't just to throw the ball wide at every opportunity, they probed in all manner of ways inc. using the boot. Biggar playing far flatter also helped massively.

Up front I was impressed with the loose trio (Faletau looked very rusty which is understandable), but I was impressed with the impact some of the replacements brought. Firstly the scrum improved with the new front row which was important, but I thought Elias and Brown also brought some really dynamic powerful carrying to the table. Hill looked pacy and intelligent at lock, whilst Moriarty also looked hungry.

Personally I'd go with a pack of Evans, Owens, Brown, AWJ, Hill, Wainwright, Tips, Faletau v Ireland, although Moriarty at 6 would would be a big consideration as well. Backline goes again, but for Tompkins over North. If Liam is 100% then he'd maybe come in for McNicholl. North to cover centre/wing from the bench.
Scrum v was really good tonight... shame Brad Mooar is leaving these shores. A softly spoken but razor-sharp guy... could've been a great asset to Wales if he hung around for a decent chunk of time.

edit. ... and yeah Leon Brown in particular made some lovely carries in heavy traffic. He looked great.

Pleasing result from the new regime. Noticed a lot of negativity during the match on here the same old moaning about the referee yada yada yada zzzzzz.

It is a hell of a result to nil any team. Italy showed flashes but Wales seemed to control the game well and for the most part it was very comfortable. I can already see the Pivac effect some lovely combinations in attack and looking for the offload . Sure the defense looked a little leaky in stages but to be expected with the new coach but still it was a decent performance.

Tomkins looked great having wet dreams thinking of a tomkins/JD2 partnership . Mcnichol plays better at 15 but I can see it might be hard to dislodge Leigh now and with Williams coming back as well. North was meh again time to be brave him imo don't want him turning into the curthbert era .

Scrum v was really good tonight... shame Brad Mooar is leaving these shores. A softly spoken but razor-sharp guy... could've been a great asset to Wales if he hung around for a decent chunk of time.

Say what now?!? He leaving the Scarlets already?

Latest posts