First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Scotland
Club or Nation
Scotland
WALES SQUAD FOR 2024 GUINNESS SIX NATIONS

Forwards (19)

Corey Domachowski (Cardiff Rugby / Caerdydd – 6 caps)

Kemsley Mathias (Scarlets – 1 cap)

Gareth Thomas (Ospreys / Gweilch – 26 caps)

Elliot Dee (Dragons / Dreigiau – 46 caps)

Ryan Elias (Scarlets – 38 caps)

Evan Lloyd (Cardiff Rugby – uncapped / heb gap)

Keiron Assiratti (Cardiff Rugby / Caerdydd – 2 caps)

Leon Brown (Dragons / Dreigiau – 23 caps)

Archie Griffin (Bath Rugby – uncapped / heb gap)

Adam Beard (Ospreys / Gweilch – 51 caps)

Dafydd Jenkins (Exeter Chiefs / Caerwysg – 12 caps)

Will Rowlands (Racing 92 – 29 caps)

Teddy Williams (Cardiff Rugby / Caerdydd – 1 cap)

Taine Basham (Dragons / Dreigiau – 16 caps)

James Botham (Cardiff Rugby / Caerdydd – 9 caps)

Alex Mann (Cardiff Rugby / Caerdydd – uncapped / heb gap)

Mackenzie Martin (Cardiff Rugby / Caerdydd – uncapped / heb gap)

Tommy Reffell (Leicester Tigers / Caerlŷr – 13 caps)

Aaron Wainwright (Dragons / Dreigiau – 43 caps)

Backs (15)

Gareth Davies (Scarlets – 74 caps)

Kieran Hardy (Scarlets – 18 caps)

Tomos Williams (Cardiff Rugby / Caerdydd – 53 caps)

Sam Costelow (Scarlets – 8 caps)

Cai Evans (Dragons / Dreigiau – 1 cap)

Ioan Lloyd (Scarlets – 2 caps)

Mason Grady (Cardiff Rugby / Caerdydd – 6 caps)

George North (Ospreys / Gweilch – 118 caps)

Joe Roberts (Scarlets – 1 cap)

Nick Tompkins (Saracens / Saraseniaid – 32 caps)

Owen Watkin (Ospreys / Gweilch – 36 caps)

Josh Adams (Cardiff Rugby / Caerdydd – 53 caps)

Rio Dyer (Dragons / Dreigiau – 14 caps)

Tom Rogers (Scarlets – 3 caps)

Cameron Winnett (Cardiff Rugby / Caerdydd – uncapped / heb gap)

I needed a break from rugby after the world cup, sitting in the Cardiff stands was depressing, luckily there was no rugby to see there hahahaha

Looking forward to this cycle, despite all the doom and gloom I'm excited to see a young Welsh team go out there and have a crack...

It's avery young inexperienced side, but people are over looking the quality not there, Carter, Tshiunza, Lake, Morgan, Hawkins, Llewllyn, LRZ etc for varying reasons. Add those 7 to the squad things look very more optimistic for Wales.
Then there are standouts who havnt made the squad, Morse, Carre, Young, Bevan, Lane etc...

1 win would be a success this year, targeting Scotland and Italy, and not getting thumped by the rest.

I think we need to see at least 2 or 3 standout prospects, Reffell needs to perform, Jenkins at 6 might be interesting, McKenzie Martin lives 50 yards from me, hes a raw prospect but exciting, Winnet has come on big, and lloyd looks tasty up front...

However, I fear for the front row, scrum and lineout will be shaky, I worry about bulk/carrying up front, Tomos William's seems to be off recently for Cardiff, I dont like any of those 3 10's, Costelow has proven Evan's and Sheedy level poor, with poor kicking all round, and I dont see an effective centre partnership or a FB in the squad.

That's a lot of young players learning, on the international stage, in unfamiliar positions.

I fully expect at least 2 record score pumping!

I needed a break from rugby after the world cup, sitting in the Cardiff stands was depressing, luckily there was no rugby to see there hahahaha

Looking forward to this cycle, despite all the doom and gloom I'm excited to see a young Welsh team go out there and have a crack...

It's avery young inexperienced side, but people are over looking the quality not there, Carter, Tshiunza, Lake, Morgan, Hawkins, Llewllyn, LRZ etc for varying reasons. Add those 7 to the squad things look very more optimistic for Wales.
Then there are standouts who havnt made the squad, Morse, Carre, Young, Bevan, Lane etc...

1 win would be a success this year, targeting Scotland and Italy, and not getting thumped by the rest.

I think we need to see at least 2 or 3 standout prospects, Reffell needs to perform, Jenkins at 6 might be interesting, McKenzie Martin lives 50 yards from me, hes a raw prospect but exciting, Winnet has come on big, and lloyd looks tasty up front...

However, I fear for the front row, scrum and lineout will be shaky, I worry about bulk/carrying up front, Tomos William's seems to be off recently for Cardiff, I dont like any of those 3 10's, Costelow has proven Evan's and Sheedy level poor, with poor kicking all round, and I dont see an effective centre partnership or a FB in the squad.

That's a lot of young players learning, on the international stage, in unfamiliar positions.

I fully expect at least 2 record score pumping!
Not sure about your comment on Tomos Williams. Despite some indifferent results, I thought Tomos has looked close to his absolute best for Cardiff this season. He's been at the heart of the good things Cardiff have done.

Not sure about your comment on Tomos Williams. Despite some indifferent results, I thought Tomos has looked close to his absolute best for Cardiff this season. He's been at the heart of the good things Cardiff have done.
Disagree, he seems to get frazzled easily recently. Take the Racing game, as soon as some pressure came on he missed his mark, was charged down a few times, was slipped in the tackle for a try, threw a few fireballs and 2 offloads to opposing players...

I'm not saying hes a bad player, but he isnt playing well

North is going to be alright apparently which is good news imo. Him and Tompkins looked a decent pair in the WC and with a new/newish 10 inside them we'll need experience in the midfield.

Disagree, he seems to get frazzled easily recently. Take the Racing game, as soon as some pressure came on he missed his mark, was charged down a few times, was slipped in the tackle for a try, threw a few fireballs and 2 offloads to opposing players...

He scored 2 tries. I know that shouldn't be the only metric for a good game but it's not a bad start.

I honestly can't recall him doing all those bad things he did which probably shows my bias towards him rather than you recalling things incorrectly so I'd have to watch it again and I dont have the urge to rewatch any game involving a Welsh region funnily enough so I'll take your word for it.

I'm with you, it's hard enough watching regional rugby in the stand once, let alone dragging it all back out lol

Hes always had a nose for the line, and hes taken chances.

Like I said, he certainly isnt a bad player, I think hes pretty much Welsh 9, maybe its fatigue, maybe it's the frantic nature of Cardiff games, maybe its playing behind a pack being beaten up every week and trying too hard.

But he is making a lot of mistakes recently, its concerning, I thought hed outgrown that issue.

Fair enough. One things for sure, though, Cardiff will be worse off without him once he goes to Gloucester but he's getting on now anyway so some legacy planning wouldn't go amiss.

The Racing game is the one Cardiff game I haven't watched this season, so fair enough if he made some errors in that game.

However, I still maintain that he's been playing well in many of Cardiff's other games this season, even if Cardiff overall have come up short. He was one of their better players early on v Ospreys and Harlequins before the opposition took control of both games. He's created try's with his offloads in midfield, and with little dinks over the defense. His box kicking has mostly been on point too with competable kicks, although this has always been the weakest part of his game, so there's usually a few duff kicks a game.

He's talked about Sherratt giving him the freedom to play to his strengths, which is generally unstructured play, and I think it's shown. Historically that's not how Gatland coached sides play though, so we may never see the best of Tomos in a Welsh shirt, where box kicking accuracy and defense are probably more important skills from the scrum half, rather than the ability to create somerhing out of nothing. Gats may be forced to adjust things to suit the latest crop of players though...

Fair enough. One things for sure, though, Cardiff will be worse off without him once he goes to Gloucester but he's getting on now anyway so some legacy planning wouldn't go amiss.
I actually think Bevans made a few decent appearances recently. Especially against Racing, Tomos was off his game and Bevan really settled the attack. Delivery was good and he is also starting to look physical.

Fingers crossed his development will be accelerated this season and hell be ready to step in to Tomos shoes.

The Racing game is the one Cardiff game I haven't watched this season, so fair enough if he made some errors in that game.

However, I still maintain that he's been playing well in many of Cardiff's other games this season, even if Cardiff overall have come up short. He was one of their better players early on v Ospreys and Harlequins before the opposition took control of both games. He's created try's with his offloads in midfield, and with little dinks over the defense. His box kicking has mostly been on point too with competable kicks, although this has always been the weakest part of his game, so there's usually a few duff kicks a game.

He's talked about Sherratt giving him the freedom to play to his strengths, which is generally unstructured play, and I think it's shown. Historically that's not how Gatland coached sides play though, so we may never see the best of Tomos in a Welsh shirt, where box kicking accuracy and defense are probably more important skills from the scrum half, rather than the ability to create somerhing out of nothing. Gats may be forced to adjust things to suit the latest crop of players though...
It hasnt been just the Racing game, but the Racing game really was poor by hos standards, charged down a few times, fireballs 2/3 times etc..

Cardiffs attack this season has been ok, exciting and threatening, but we dont half give away opportunities to counter us because of it, and ultimately we are not in games come the last 10, with very young inexperienced players coming off the bench.

I have to agree re Wales, it's just not designed to allow Tomos to flourish, hes probably going to end his career known for his super sub performances rather than his top class ability.

Having looked through the squad there is a lot of unknowns there. Anyone want to hazard a guess at the best starting 23 out of this squad?

It'll be something like:

01 Gareth Thomas
02 Ryan Elias
03 Kieran Asseratti
04 Dafydd Jenkins
05 Will Rowlands
06 Jim Botham
07 Tommy Reffell
08 Aaron Wainwright

09 Tomos Williams
10 Sam Costellow
11 Rio Dyer
12 Nick Tompkins
13 George North
14 Josh Adams
15 Cam Winnett

16 Elliot Dee
17 Corey Domachowski
18 Leon Brown
19 Adam Beard
20 Taine Basham
21 Gareth Davies
22 Ioan Lloyd
23 Mason Grady

Alrhough I think Winnett is out of the Scotland match, so either Adams will start at fullback with Grady on the wing, or Lloyd at fullback with maybe Watkin on the bench. I'd prefer Teddy Williams on the bench over Beard, but that's unlikely.

Not bad, but I think Gats has a little tendency to make conservative tactical choices, and bold selection choices. My bet is...

1. Thomas
3. Elias
3. Brown
4. Beard
5. Rowlands
6. Jenkins
7. Reffell
8. Wainwright
9. Davies
10. Costelow
11. Dyer
12. Watkin
13. North
14. Grady
15. Adam's

16. Dee
17. Domachowski
18. Griffin
19. William's
20. Botham / Martin
21. Williams
22. Evan's
23. Tompkins

I've heard coaches talk about Cai Evan's boot, and how it's far bigger than the other 2.

I personally would drop Cai Evan's AND Sam Costelow, I dont think they're good enough. I'd beg Biggar, Patchell, Anscombe or Owen William's to play before them, or I'd go to Sheedy and Jarod Evan's, failing that I'd head down to Penallta u16's and ask who was available ffs.

I see Daf Jenkins playing 6, better position to captain from, tall lineout ball playing 6's are the order of Gats day.

I hope he doesnt go with Asseratti, watching him week in week out he looks limited, cant scrummage and has spent his career in Cardiff in retreat. He needs confidence, not to add to Welsh set peice problems.

Not bad, but I think Gats has a little tendency to make conservative tactical choices, and bold selection choices. My bet is...

1. Thomas
3. Elias
3. Brown
4. Beard
5. Rowlands
6. Jenkins
7. Reffell
8. Wainwright
9. Davies
10. Costelow
11. Dyer
12. Watkin
13. North
14. Grady
15. Adam's

16. Dee
17. Domachowski
18. Griffin
19. William's
20. Botham / Martin
21. Williams
22. Evan's
23. Tompkins

I've heard coaches talk about Cai Evan's boot, and how it's far bigger than the other 2.

I personally would drop Cai Evan's AND Sam Costelow, I dont think they're good enough. I'd beg Biggar, Patchell, Anscombe or Owen William's to play before them, or I'd go to Sheedy and Jarod Evan's, failing that I'd head down to Penallta u16's and ask who was available ffs.

I see Daf Jenkins playing 6, better position to captain from, tall lineout ball playing 6's are the order of Gats day.

I hope he doesnt go with Asseratti, watching him week in week out he looks limited, cant scrummage and has spent his career in Cardiff in retreat. He needs confidence, not to add to Welsh set peice problems.
Interesting. I could maybe see Gats going with Jenkins at 6, although the balance of his squad would suggest he's there as a lock. Has he ever played there for Exeter?

Completely agree with your assessment of Cai Evans, no idea what anyone sees in him. I'm optimistic about Costellow though, he's a talented, tenacious little player who's capable of getting the backline moving. Ideally he'd be eased into the starting role, but we are where we are.

If Gareth Davies starts it'd be completely on past reputation. He has been downright terrible this season for the Scarlets. His performance as a leader of a young side v Black Lions was completely unnacceptable.

Your assessment of Asseratti baffles me as well. He's shown plenty of promise as a scrummaging tighthead for Cardiff against some solid opposition. Even more baffling is you then select Brown to start who's had huge question marks over his scrummaging his whole career + a complete rookie on the bench. I think we'll see Asseratti flourish this 6N and quickly establish himself as the best tighthead we've had since Adam Jones.

Interesting. I could maybe see Gats going with Jenkins at 6, although the balance of his squad would suggest he's there as a lock. Has he ever played there for Exeter?

Completely agree with your assessment of Cai Evans, no idea what anyone sees in him. I'm optimistic about Costellow though, he's a talented, tenacious little player who's capable of getting the backline moving. Ideally he'd be eased into the starting role, but we are where we are.

If Gareth Davies starts it'd be completely on past reputation. He has been downright terrible this season for the Scarlets. His performance as a leader of a young side v Black Lions was completely unnacceptable.

Your assessment of Asseratti baffles me as well. He's shown plenty of promise as a scrummaging tighthead for Cardiff against some solid opposition. Even more baffling is you then select Brown to start who's had huge question marks over his scrummaging his whole career + a conplete rookie on the bench. I think we'll see Asseratti flourish this 6N and quickly establish himself as the best tighthead we've had since Adam Jones.
So...

I agree with the squad set up, but with Carter injured, and a host of players out of contention and I hired what are the options? A return of Sev Davies lol There may well be a return of 1 or 2 players during the tourney.
He played back row all his life until 16 - 18 when he grew and become converted. He is very mobile though, I'm not sure if hes covered 6 at Exeter.

I dont see Costelow being anything better than Sheedy or Evan's, his kicking out of hand too small, he was dire in the derbies, and missed a sitter in front of goal.

I also agree with Davies, but Tomos has been poor at club level too, just when you think his erratic nature has left him, its returned this season. Against Harlequins and Racing he looked 22 again, making fireballs, getting charged down, giving away ball etc. I just think we will need Davies control, and of course Gatland loves him.

I dont dislike Asseratti, he usurped Dillon Lewis at Cardiff deservedly, but the Cardiff scrum is weaker than ever, and IMO Belcher is out playing both props this season. Asseratti is totally ineffectual against decent teams. The hope is, maybe it's just that Cardiff are a poor team, and players like Thronton are hampering until performance. That guy is so bad, and underpowered for a guy his size, it's probable Asseratti isnt get much support from him, or Alex Mann (who isnt ready for regional rugby, let alone international). Same with Tomos, maybe it's thewild whacky game plan making him look worse. Fingers crossed I'm wrong on both, and they will both flourish.

Re Brown, it's incredible he only has 20 odd caps at 28, he just never seems to have had the run of int games to settle and develop, especially in the scrum I'd like to see Gats just run him into the ground, start 5 games, 65 mins per game etc. See if he can do it. We know Gatland loves him, selecting him without club games under his belt.

No way Gatland doesn't start Tompkins he kinda already confirmed that him and North will be starting.

Brown can't stay fit for longer than 20 mins so I'm surprised he's managed to put more than 2 games together. Shame as I think he's got potential and if he had stayed injury feee could've answered our problems at TH.

No way Gatland doesn't start Tompkins he kinda already confirmed that him and North will be starting.

Brown can't stay fit for longer than 20 mins so I'm surprised he's managed to put more than 2 games together. Shame as I think he's got potential and if he had stayed injury feee could've answered our problems at TH.
I know he likes him, and he is incredibly disruptive ball in hand, but he falls off tackles, finds himself out of position constantly and generally runs around like a big kid.

Re watch Wales workd cup games, Tomkins corner flags from midfield lol, even before a line break, he makes life so hard for North.

Browns 28, that's unbelievable, he still feels like a raw 23 year old prospect

Latest posts