• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[Natwest 6 Nations] Round 4 : France Vs England (10/03/2018)

Having made his selection, he has no choice but to back them in public.

But why he's made the selection, God only knows and its even stretching His omniscience.
A] Yep
B] I thought we pretty much did know. He's treating this 6N like a mock RWC; so the fallow weeks have really tough training; and he's shifting players around to cover for injury in favour of replacing them. When he does have to call in a replacement, that player will get as little game-time as he can get away with to maximise game-time for those he wants to take to Japan.
Ewers, Armand, Wilson etc - they're not going to be getting on the plane to Japan; so if we suffer 1-2 injuries in the backrow out there, we'll be using a lock at 6 in favour of sending the injured player home.

Now, why he's insisting on a lock at 6 and then putting 2 flankers on the bench who likely will be going to Japan (I hope Hask doesn't, but he's still got a decent chance), I really can't answer I'm afraid.
His front row selection though, does suggest he's hoping to take LCD as one of his 3 hookers, rather than Taylor or Dunn.

Jones has claimed our current back row is the best we can put out, what tripe! There are plenty of flankers in the prem who could step up. Jones is confusing his refusal to pick certain players with the players not being there at all. There is no way Lawes is a better 6 than all the others in the Prem. It's hard to tell with Jones because he says one thing and does another but what the hell is going through his head with the back row? Statistically the worst back row in this 6N, worse even than Italy, and yet he is putting it out again saying it's the best we can do. Complete crap.

Rage, you and I are on the same page.
There's a rare thing...

On the other hand, England have great depth off their bench compared to France and when the circus clown empties the bench, regardless of their situation at that time, it will have a positive impact on the game for England and I cannot see them losing this match.
I remain unsure of what Eddie is trying to achieve from this exercise.
A very unusual line up.
I wonder if he is seeing ghosts again...

There's a quote attributed to Einstein (but authenticity is arguable):

"doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"?

In Scotland the back row got as close to literally murdered as is possible in sport. Robshaw usually first to arrive but does not carry the power to win the contest (he has other great attributes) and the others arrived late or not at all. Despite Eddie's protestations, this isn't a question of technique it's physical capability. Robshaw doesn't contest (usually) and Lawes cannot he's the wrong shape (and lacks nous). Hughes is a carrier not a breakdown fighter. If the French decide to **** up our ball we'll be treated to a spectacle of hand flapping Care as the ball is spoiled and then slow.

On the other side of the equation thank the lord Kevin Gourdon isn't playing. This would be carte blanche (ooh get me and my francais!) for a player of his calibre.

I reckon Eddie is a mentalist. He believes 100% in his own world view. It's equally a strength and a weakness. I've always maintained that when the "we're winning so awesome!" goodwill dissipates he's a dead man walking. The wheels of the chariot will come flying off. The media felt somewhat guilty when stabbing Lancaster. Eddie? It'll be Ceasarville. Everyone will have a go.

Read an article/interview with Serge Betsen, he had the best put down of our side.
Just said EJ's backrow selection was "funny".

Also, I don't know how many turnovers we've won this tournament but Bastareaud got 4 vs Italy. I'd be surprised if your entire side, over 3 games, got more than that. He's going to take some stopping. I don't fear him necessarily as a carrier (obviously he's a destructive carrier, but there's tons of big carriers, be they forwards or backs,that our players have encountered at club/international level before) but he's good at the breakdown and impossible to shift even with a good clearout - Lawes/Robshaw arriving after he's latched on and then halfheartedly trying to drag him to the side by his hips just isn't going to work.

There's a quote attributed to Einstein (but authenticity is arguable):

"doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"?

In Scotland the back row got as close to literally murdered as is possible in sport. Robshaw usually first to arrive but does not carry the power to win the contest (he has other great attributes) and the others arrived late or not at all. Despite Eddie's protestations, this isn't a question of technique it's physical capability. Robshaw doesn't contest (usually) and Lawes cannot he's the wrong shape (and lacks nous). Hughes is a carrier not a breakdown fighter. If the French decide to **** up our ball we'll be treated to a spectacle of hand flapping Care as the ball is spoiled and then slow.

On the other side of the equation thank the lord Kevin Gourdon isn't playing. This would be carte blanche (ooh get me and my francais!) for a player of his calibre.

I reckon Eddie is a mentalist. He believes 100% in his own world view. It's equally a strength and a weakness. I've always maintained that when the "we're winning so awesome!" goodwill dissipates he's a dead man walking. The wheels of the chariot will come flying off. The media felt somewhat guilty when stabbing Lancaster. Eddie? It'll be Ceasarville. Everyone will have a go.

Deffinition of insanity? :)

Really not sure about this one. It's an exciting back three but Daly just back from injury and that combo untested against a resurgent France could be a recipe for disaster. Then we have the back row which is just not really up to scratch. And for me we have a passion issue. We just don't ever look like we really want it. Not from 1-23 in any event.

This is a vital test for England. If we were NZ (who we apparently aspire to be as great as) we would have shaken off this loss and come out and blow the next team away and reassert ourselves as the no. 1 team in world rugby, and that's exactly what we have to do here. Anything less and the blood will be in the water and any psychological afvantage and strength we have developed over the last couple of years will start to quickly wain.

If we can come out today, stick a bonus point on France and go on to win the 6 nations it would be a huge statement. In fact even just winning the next two games would show some strong resilience and mental fortitude. But should we lose I think it could be very damaging.

Let's just hope the lads can find their passion today and translate that into points.

So we have to chase the 4 tries now to have a chance of winning the 6N's still.

Big ask, hoping for Daly to add some big impact to the team.

Simmonds aswell should add some big impact when he gets on.

Guscott admits Farrell's tackling is abysmal whilst gushing world class in the same sentence. Quality.

Latest posts