• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Irish Wolfhounds vs England Saxons 30/1/15 Independent Park ko 19:45

Henderson was Ireland's best player. Good to see Ross looking a bit better in the scrum. Maybe being dropped by Leinster will give him the kick in the are he needs to get going.

I'm sorry to say though that D'Arcy's international career looks finished. He is a shadow of what he was and turning into a liability now.

Madigan didn't look comfortable playing at 10. That's the most worrying thing from an Ireland point of view. Its a joke that Hanrahan was left out of the squad.

Agreed, he is drawn to the action, he wants to be right in there in the mix.... I wonder if they could loan him out to a championship club for a month or so? they won't but he'd learn a lot from playing down one level where the pressure is off.

Particularly not during the Six Nations when they'll be short some of their centres as is. Shame, it's not a bad idea in general, consistent gametime could be really good for him.

Henderson was Ireland's best player. Good to see Ross looking a bit better in the scrum. Maybe being dropped by Leinster will give him the kick in the are he needs to get going.

I'm sorry to say though that D'Arcy's international career looks finished. He is a shadow of what he was and turning into a liability now.

Madigan didn't look comfortable playing at 10. That's the most worrying thing from an Ireland point of view. Its a joke that Hanrahan was left out of the squad.

No I agree with them leaving JJ out. I want it to be more appealing to guys to stay in Ireland. And they were right to try Madigan here. I still think he will play a valuable role. Keatley should start vs Italy but Madigan should have 22 shirt even when Sexton is back.

Agree regards D'Arcy.

Ross I'm still 50/50 about. Yes scrum was good but nothing is offered elsewhere.

Needless to say I was watching Henderson closest of all the Ireland players and was slightly disappointed with some of his work rate/rucking. There were times when he looked off the pace. There has never been any question about his ability to do big things that other players simply can't do; the question is his consistency in doing the small little things right. His ball protection and decision making around the ruck looked a little rusty, which is not new.

When he corrects them I think Ireland will find it very difficult to leave him out.

Needless to say I was watching Henderson closest of all the Ireland players and was slightly disappointed with some of his work rate/rucking. There were times when he looked off the pace. There has never been any question about his ability to do big things that other players simply can't do; the question is his consistency in doing the small little things right. His ball protection and decision making around the ruck looked a little rusty, which is not new.

When he corrects them I think Ireland will find it very difficult to leave him out.

I'd agree with bits. He entered rucks from side at times and was lazy but that comes with working back to fitness. At least the willingness and effort was there though. The long hair is what bugs me and the hat. He doesn't look like a baby assassin anymore.

Just had chance to watch the game over . From an England perspective Kvesic and Ewers were fantastic ! Obviously it was a patchy game but they really stood out for me . It really showed how important getting over the ball at the breakdown is and a heavy carry is exactly what we need in the senior team . Slade went reasonably well too considering the set piece was quite frankly shocking . Itoje showed some good things too and has power in abundance for a young guy

Have to say I think the standout player was Ewers. I was seriously impressed by his workrate and strength. Scrum went OK, Webber and Thomas were great in the loose.

Pennell was very impressive also.

Off the bench, Simpson and Wade have got to be in the 23 for England surely. Wade showed his class, how can you leave that guy out? He's got to at least make the bench as an impact player.

Burgess was absolutely miles off but then we know he's not had nearly enough time. Have to say I've always thought he'd make a far better 6 than 12. He needs to be involved in the thick of it and at 6 he could be all over the park. Think Mike Ford has been right on that one all along.

I heard that Burgess didn't make any significant impact and made several errors. This fast-tracking stuff won't help him, definitely not ready and needs more time.

Funny, despite what people have been saying I think Sam needs more time to learn centre than he'll need at 6. Yes there's much more to learn at the breakdown so he doesn't get pinged but he's naturally competitive and has a great physique and engine. It's the positioning at 12 that he is struggling with big time at the moment. Yes it's early days but if he plays at centre, they have to start using him as a crashballer for now and let the rest of his game develop over time like Nonu.

Meh... he did alright for a guy that clearly isn't in a position suited to his skillset and has only played a handful of games.

I still don't understand how someone like Lancaster (who clearly watches a fair bit of RL) thinks he's a centre.

I heard that Burgess didn't make any significant impact and made several errors. This fast-tracking stuff won't help him, definitely not ready and needs more time.

Really not helped by everyone watching for every tiny error, which any rugby player makes, and screaming "he's terrible"

That said he isn't ready but you can see he's working at it.

Maverick, how did you watch the game back? Its not on Acrossthetasman is it?

I don't know what acrossthetasman is but I recorded it on sky+ and watched it when I got back from work last night

Forgot to say thought Simpson added a lot when he came on . Obviously causes problems with his pace

Last edited:
To his credit at least, Burgess has a nice habit of straightening up as opposed to crabbing

Just had chance to watch the game over . From an England perspective Kvesic and Ewers were fantastic ! Obviously it was a patchy game but they really stood out for me . It really showed how important getting over the ball at the breakdown is and a heavy carry is exactly what we need in the senior team . Slade went reasonably well too considering the set piece was quite frankly shocking . Itoje showed some good things too and has power in abundance for a young guy

Kvesic was very good. 5 turnovers was it? (might be 4)

Ewers carried well. Itoje looks like with more time he looks the manor born.

Really not helped by everyone watching for every tiny error, which any rugby player makes, and screaming "he's terrible"

That said he isn't ready but you can see he's working at it.

^this.

if it had been any other centre out there making his debut people wouldn't be half as harsh - fair enough he comes with some weight of expectation but people are being unnecessarily brutal imho.

Think he will be better as a passing and carrying 6, but this fast tracking is helping no one.

Disappointing... well done yez shower of sassenach bstarts!

- - - Updated - - -

edit: Twice now the forum ate the post. Something wrong with the smilies admin?

The idea that we have Clarke and Croft (having played about two games in as many years) are in the senior team over Kvesic and Ewers still baffles me. They were pretty outstanding on Friday and the carrying from the pack was far far better than anything we saw in the Autumn (particularly from Thomas and Ewers).

Players that enhanced their reputation:

Ewers (invaluable front foot ball from his carrying)
Kvesic (how many turnovers did he win?)
Itoje and Garvey (lineout not withstanding- not their fault entirely)
Simpson (lifted the tempo when needed)
Pennell (looked very solid)
Fearns (another powerhouse in the loose)
Slade (not given much ball, but got the back moving)

Those who didn't:

Webber/LCD (seemingly neither can throw or hook)
Burgess (feel for him- was in at the deep end and was given no ball)
Dickson (not looking very sharp)

Those who should feel slighted by non-inclusion/starting spot (hindsight I know):

Hill
Wade (Ashton played OK, but what did we find out that we didn't already know?)
Simpson (should have started)
George (really solid player who should get more recognition)

I really think that given a decent sett piece, this could have been a much bigger win.

Last edited:
The idea that we have Clarke and Croft (having played about two games in as many years) are in the senior team over Kvesic and Ewers still baffles me. They were pretty outstanding on Friday and the carrying from the pack was far far better than anything we saw in the Autumn (particularly from Thomas and Ewers).

Players that enhanced their reputation:

Ewers (invaluable front foot ball from his carrying)
Kvesic (how many turnovers did he win?)
Itoje and Garvey (lineout not withstanding- not their fault entirely)
Simpson (lifted the tempo when needed)
Pennell (looked very solid)
Fearns (another powerhouse in the loose)
Slade (not given much ball, but got the back moving)

Those who didn't:

Webber/LCD (seemingly neither can throw or hook)
Burgess (feel for him- was in at the deep end and was given no ball)
Dickson (not looking very sharp)

Those who should feel slighted by non-inclusion/starting spot (hindsight I know):

Hill
Wade (Ashton played OK, but what did we find out that we didn't already know?)
Simpson (should have started)
George (really solid player who should get more recognition)

I really think that given a decent sett piece, this could have been a much bigger win.
For sure. I think we lost something mad like 4 lineouts in the Irish 22 alone.

Don't forget when criticising the Hookers' throwing, that the two lineout callers who were supposed to play in this match didn't play in it.
Not saying that they're great throwers, because they aren't... but it's a little unfair to place all the blame on their heads I feel.

Latest posts