• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2023/24

Players Id have liked to see being offered a central contract (whether they'd accept or not):
Underhill - starts when fit, and needs his game time carefully managed.
AOF & Fasogbon - too young to be playing much, already with concerning signs around that. A limit from above could prolong their career by 1-2 RWC cycles!
I think the cost of the contract means it will only ever go to those who is fit are likely to be value for money and actually play (Either as starter or from the bench) 8 or more matches a season. So it won't ever be used to tie down prospects who are not yet ready to appear that often, There is no scope for a lower salary contract doing the same thing for prospects.

Underhill must wonder that Borthwick doesn't really like him for some reason.

So the 17 central contracts should be In the starting 23, so guessing we know that we've got

1 Genge
2 George
4 Itoje
5 Martin
6 Chessum or the 5/19 shirt
7 T Curry or at 6 or 20
8 Earl
9 Mitchell - injured
10 M Smith
11 Freeman
12 Lawrence
13 Slade
14 IFW
15 Furbank

16 Dan
22 F Smith
23 Daly - too old really

That leaves Ford for some unknown reason, not currently good enough on form to even be In the squad. Maybe with some time to regain some form but at his age is it worth it.

Daly is another odd one. Is he nailed on? At 32 and with Freeman, Sleighthome, Roebuck, IWF and Furbank is there any space for a 32 year old player? But then he does cover a lot of positions and has proven to be a test match animal at times.

A good selection of players really. Guessing that frames our England team.

So the 17 central contracts should be In the starting 23, so guessing we know that we've got

1 Genge
2 George
4 Itoje
5 Martin
6 Chessum or the 5/19 shirt
7 T Curry or at 6 or 20
8 Earl
9 Mitchell - injured
10 M Smith
11 Freeman
12 Lawrence
13 Slade
14 IFW
15 Furbank

16 Dan
22 F Smith
23 Daly - too old really

That leaves Ford for some unknown reason, not currently good enough on form to even be In the squad. Maybe with some time to regain some form but at his age is it worth it.

Daly is another odd one. Is he nailed on? At 32 and with Freeman, Sleighthome, Roebuck, IWF and Furbank is there any space for a 32 year old player? But then he does cover a lot of positions and has proven to be a test match animal at times.

A good selection of players really. Guessing that frames our England team.
Did Daly get a contract?

I'd like to remind posters that you're contractually obliged to mention "siege gun left boot" when referencing Elliot Daly.

Three fly halves strikes me as exceptionally odd, unless we're going down the 'M. Smith at 12 or 15' road again [sigh]

I'd like to remind posters that you're contractually obliged to mention "siege gun left boot" when referencing Elliot Daly.

Three fly halves strikes me as exceptionally odd, unless we're going down the 'M. Smith at 12 or 15' road again [sigh]
Suspect stoping one of them going to France was a big factor. Not like there are tons of other options outside of the squad

FFS

Imagine Isiekwe will get the call up as he's usually at the top of the reserves list, but would like to see Hill in there

Ewels gonna have the chance to break his red card record this autumn now

Just to clarify steward looked like he was still learning to pass in that game. Might have beaten us but doesn't change the fact that steward doesn't have the correct skills for a modern level back nor the correct pace/ mobility.

That could all change though and he's still young. Just shop Kelly off to France, get steward in the 12 shirt and jobs a good un.
Woodward is playing so well for Tigers at the moment I don't think Steward would get a game at centre even if Kelly left.

'Gabriel Ibitoye is under consideration for a place in the England A side to face Australia next month after a blockbuster start to the Premiership season.'

'Gabriel Oghre, the all-action hooker, is another Bristol Bear in contention. The Harlequins backline duo of Oscar Beard and Cadan Murley are thought to be in line for appearances, while Bath wing Will Muir is fit again. Tom Pearson, who featured for England A against Portugal eight months ago, and Tom Willis will be leading candidates for the back row.'

'Asher Opoku-Fordjour and Afo Fasogbon, the props who started for England in the triumphant Under-20 World Championship decider against France this summer, are possible inclusions and were praised by Borthwick earlier this month.'

Latest posts