• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2023/24

For me, we played are best when Martin was in the side. He added that extra power the pack was missing without him.
Agree, think Chessum and Itoje are too similar but I haven't really watched Itoje this season yet to see how he's playing, more loose or more of a hard hitter role.

Ill put money on it being
4 Itoje
5 Martin
6 Chessum
7 Underhill
8 Earl

Sub
Earl - Lock
CCS - 6/8

Apparently we're sulking that we've only had short notice that the AIs will be played under trial laws - 20 minute reds etc. Fair enough if only just been told but surely stuff like that gets ironed out months in advance?

Apparently we're sulking that we've only had short notice that the AIs will be played under trial laws - 20 minute reds etc. Fair enough if only just been told but surely stuff like that gets ironed out months in advance?
I'm still sulking that that one is even a thing.

Yellow & Review works well.
20 minute reds is a solution looking for a problem; whilst expressly not addressing the problem it's intending to address.
"Red cards ruin games" is... simply not factually true
"head shots ruin lives" on the other hand, is increasingly well understood, and needs to be not tolerated - and it seems so far, that the penny has finally dropped, and current sanctions seem to be working (though I still favour lowering tackle height for the pro.s as well as the amateurs - ideally meeting in the middle at armpit / nipple line, which can be made visual with a contrast-colour hoop on the shirts)

20 minute reds is a solution looking for a problem; whilst expressly not addressing the problem it's intending to address.
Totally agree on Yelliw and review.
Works really well, giving time for TMO to really understand what went on, especially with intent, rather than feeling they have to rush it through in real time on TV.

Totally agree on Yelliw and review.
Works really well, giving time for TMO to really understand what went on, especially with intent, rather than feeling they have to rush it through in real time on TV.
Forgot to add.
Rugby is a team sport!!!
There are no 'individual' errors, so if a player is carded the team should pay the price.
This rule only punishes them for 20 mins, which says that serious foul play is only double the cost of deliberate foul play, (yellow).
Surely it is far more than that.

"Red cards ruin games" is... simply not factually true
"head shots ruin lives" on the other hand, is increasingly well understood, and needs to be not tolerated - and it seems so far, that the penny has finally dropped, and current sanctions seem to be working (though I still favour lowering tackle height for the pro.s as well as the amateurs - ideally meeting in the middle at armpit / nipple line, which can be made visual with a contrast-colour hoop on the shirts)

Safety's got to be the priority and as you say the message does seem to be sinking in, nonetheless I think both can be true.

Cards do spoil matches - we saw it again last night when Saints scored 3 in a yellow period. Personally I like the idea of a differential between the marginal or slightly unlucky red and the malicious or reckless.

An early red is invariably game over, while a 20 minute penalty is still pretty significant but still gives both teams a chance. The guilty player is punished by not being able to return and also by post match sanction.

If you'd have paid £150 to watch Eng v Ire the other year how thrilled would you have been to know the outcome with 78 minutes to go?

Safety's got to be the priority and as you say the message does seem to be sinking in, nonetheless I think both can be true.

Cards do spoil matches - we saw it again last night when Saints scored 3 in a yellow period. Personally I like the idea of a differential between the marginal or slightly unlucky red and the malicious or reckless.

An early red is invariably game over, while a 20 minute penalty is still pretty significant but still gives both teams a chance. The guilty player is punished by not being able to return and also by post match sanction.

If you'd have paid £150 to watch Eng v Ire the other year how thrilled would you have been to know the outcome with 78 minutes to go?
I would correct that to say that an early red CAN ruin a match - but then, so can an early injury, a wet ball, a rugby ball being oval, or any number of other factors.
An early red does not necessarily ruin a match - as demonstrated by several matches that haven't been ruined despite an early red.

It's also making an already complex game more complex when the aim should be to make it more accessible.

Personally I feel the ref shouldn't be able to give out a red card, unless it's a two yellow card situation

I think once it's deemed a yellow card the player should be off and then reviewed by a couple people that's it.

This whole 20 mins red card just seems stupid, and only really to help negate ref mistakes which the review should do anyway.

Latest posts