• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2023/24

Are they not? What's x factor?

I've seen Murley, Roebuck and the others all do very exciting things, create tries from nothing..I bet Murley and Roebuck have a decent highlights reel already.....
X factor is extreme pace, acceleration footwork. Louis Reece zammit is a good comparison. His defence was poor in his first year or so of international rugby, yet played because he brings something else.

Murley is a fantastic finisher, he should have plenty of caps already. However he does not have the same pace as Radwan or Arundel. Nor does Roebuck
At international level you need at least one back that does something differently than the rest. As it sucks defenders in or they get out of shape.

X factor is extreme pace, acceleration footwork. Louis Reece zammit is a good comparison. His defence was poor in his first year or so of international rugby, yet played because he brings something else.

Murley is a fantastic finisher, he should have plenty of caps already. However he does not have the same pace as Radwan or Arundel. Nor does Roebuck
At international level you need at least one back that does something differently than the rest. As it sucks defenders in or they get out of shape.
Murely actually does....he's incredibly fast. Often overlooked by people. I'd say he's quicker than Radwan who is more like Jason Robinson and its his first 20 -40m that does the damage. Murley should start in the 6n...he's a superb try scorer.

I'm not saying pace is not important...its a game changer but I just want to see a bit more before I say he's a 'special talent' when I'm seeing (imo)more from other young prem wingers.

I agree you need a back who can do something different...I would suggest Radwan...

He's in good hands with Lancaster though so everyone will be watching his development with interest...

Can someone decode JIFF please? I googled but all the English results were suggesting sexy gunk and I can't understand much French

I wonder if there's any substance in the rumours that Gustard is coming back as Defence Coach....
Gustard blotted his copy book by trying to enforce the wrong style on the players at Quins (and seemed a bit of a knob with it) but as a defence coach, he's usually done well. With the right remit, I'm not against it. He's certainly more qualified than Sinfield was.

Can someone decode JIFF please? I googled but all the English results were suggesting sexy gunk and I can't understand much French
Basically just means a product of the french academy systems - clubs need to have X amount of JIFF players in their match day squad (16?)
You earn it via amount of years in the French systems before you hit 21(?) - so for example of you join a French club before you're 21, and stay there for three years, you are classified as a JIFF player

You retain your JIFF status even if you play for another country (which is why French clubs scout so heavily in the Pacific Islands for academy players)

I guess it's similar to academy credits in the premiership salary cap

Gustard blotted his copy book by trying to enforce the wrong style on the players at Quins (and seemed a bit of a knob with it) but as a defence coach, he's usually done well. With the right remit, I'm not against it. He's certainly more qualified than Sinfield was.
I just wonder...because the telegraph Actually posted a full online report that he was joining and then not long later it was rapidly deleted. Now the Telegraph normally know what's going on...so I wonder if there's some substance to it but England told them to get it down.

Yeah, I'm not that fussed tbh - in fact I'm glad the RFU have put their foot down re: playing abroad.

He's a very good finisher and a very very good athlete - have we seen anything else, yet, though? Lots to work on in his game, and I think doing that at club level rather than international will be better for him in the long run

He can do three years in France, come back, and still be one of the youngest players in the England side (at 23 he would be the 2nd youngest back, excluding himself, and 4th youngest player in general in our RWC squad)
Why would he be keen to come back to an RFU which on the record said something in October and then changed their mind.

Why would he be keen to come back to an RFU which on the record said something in October and then changed their mind.
To play international rugby?
I'm not going to feel that sorry for someone who signs abroad for crazy money then goes in the press saying they should change the rules for him

100%. I'm excited by Arundell's promise, but not to the extent that I'd be willing to change the rules just for him.

How does that work for the cap then? Does Itoje become a 400k player for the cap then, or 800k?
My concern with this is say Saracens are just under the cap with Itoje on a hybrid contract, then England decide not to give him one the following season. Do Saracens then have to pay him an additional £400k and thus potentially breach the cap?

Joesph looks like a direct replacement for Marchant
Would like to see Slade back as well.

My concern with this is say Saracens are just under the cap with Itoje on a hybrid contract, then England decide not to give him one the following season. Do Saracens then have to pay him an additional £400k and thus potentially breach the cap?

I think the central contract isn't a yearly renewal it's for the duration of the contract.

Joseph in for Marchant and Freeman in for Daly would be great replacements, though I think they'll keep Daly around

I do like Slade, and he's playing really well this season, but I think I'd struggle to fit him into the side - we've got too many 13s!

13 is getting very interesting. Potentially 3/4 genuine options...

Then 12..not so much..
Manu was back...I still think Seb Atkinson is worth a look...and would they move Lawrence to 12?

Is Dingwall in the equation?

Last edited:
I think it'll be Manu this 6N and then they'll look to play Lawrence there going forwards - which is frustrating as he's never gonna play there for his club

Would like to see Ojomoh play 12 in the A game

I think it'll be Manu this 6N and then they'll look to play Lawrence there going forwards - which is frustrating as he's never gonna play there for his club

Would like to see Ojomoh play 12 in the A game
Yeah I have a feeling it'll be Manu..Will Jospeh is coming on nicely and Lawrence has a battle there now..even though he is on fire.

Latest posts