• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread pt. 2

Why do you think females only want to vote for a female candidate ?! I certainly wouldn't…..it depends on the abilities of the person in question and what they stand for.
I think in this instance they'd be more worried about some sections of women not turning up to vote had she been bypassed.

In general though I imagine they use polling and voting data behind their thinking. Clearly it's in general terms as there's plenty of women who are voting for Trump.

Why do you think females only want to vote for a female candidate ?! I certainly wouldn't…..it depends on the abilities of the person in question and what they stand for.
Apart from it's proven if someone is of the same demographic they are more likely to vote for them than if not.

An individual might not but group dynamics matter way more and key states will be close. The dems will likely win the popular vote but the electoral college is stupidly broken.

No, I vote for whoever is the best candidate, which includes males, other ethnicities and any Party.

No, I vote for whoever is the best candidate, which includes males, other ethnicities and any Party.
surely its not a surprise there are lots of people out there that are very invested in someone "like them", someone that directly represents them, being elected

Trump still has to go before the Judge for sentencing in the Manhattan trial. I think it's in September.

I think Democrats going for Kamala Harris would just be them once again showing they have learned absolutely nothing since Obama. As far as I'm aware, she is not exactly popular, has minimal presence and would largely be relying on simply not being Trump to win rather than any real appeal of her own.

Democrats need a proper leadership contest and get someone who can actually enthuse the undecided rather than banking entirely on the not-Trump vote. The Democrats current strategy of just putting whoever was close to the previous president up as the new candidate is just not getting anyone enthused at all.
From what I can tell, there are 3 principal and 2 secondary reasons for going with Harris.

Money - American politics is influenced by money to a degree that they would call outright corruption anywhere else, and that money has been donated to the Burden campaign. As part of that campaign, that money is available to Biden or Harris, and no-one else.
Circular firing squad - American primaries are vicious dog fights. The left does love to tear itself apart, and has been doing so semi-publicly for a couple of weeks. Spending another month doing so in full publicity, with everyone off the leash is a really, really stupid idea, especially when the other guys are busy rallying around and proclaiming their god-emporer.
Black female - as mentioned, representation matters. Not so much on an n=1 level, but on an n=millions level. Also, not for anyone politically switched on and thoughtful of where to vote, but for the undecideds (in swing states) who will actually decide these things. Also worth noting that presidential elections are nothing whatsoever to do with policy or competence, and everything to do with image and dollars.

Name recognition - her name recognition isnt great, especially for a serving VP, but it's a hell of a lot better than any of the other candidates.
Next in line - it sucks, but the party "establishment" and party loyalists alwyas like to hand on to whoevers turn it is next.

ETA: Oh, I guess that there's a tertiary reason too.
Glass canon - Candidates who want a proper shot at the presidency, don't really want to go up against the cult of Trump, especially with all of the handicaps above. They'll probably fight to the death to be the VP pick and garner name recognition for 2028, but many will see this race as virtually unwinnable - or at least, too high a risk of sacrificing their political future. If you're not Trump, you don't get to go again if you lose.

Last edited:
It's certainly flipped everything on its head. US politics is so polarised anyway and will be decided by the swing state voters. But at least Harris wouldn't have to go through the cut throat nature of the primaries.

surely its not a surprise there are lots of people out there that are very invested in someone "like them", someone that directly represents them, being elected
Didn't do Hillary Clinton many favours. White women still tended to vote Republican.

Hillary won the popular vote..

Mostly on the back of women.
At what point did i say women?

Or are you saying more white women voted for Hillary? Which was my point that they didn't.

The Dems have long had an issue attracting white women voters. They've voted Republican for over ten elections.

Last edited:
Selfless is an interesting spin. He's been utterly selfish up to the point where he had no choice.
I think he thought he was doing what was best for his party and country at all times. In my (limited) experience with older people whose cognitive abilities are deteriorating, they are always the last to accept or recognise that it's happening, truly think Joe thought he was fine through all of this.

His biggest mistake was his initial selection for VP and then backing himself when he realised he didn't pick a natural successor rather than finding a successor.

I think he thought he was doing what was best for his party and country at all times.
Maybe, but I imagine lost of people doing selfish things con themselves into the same thing.

Regardless, the reality is now that this election is probably done, and it didn't need to be. The Dems will rally around Kamala, though she will lose, instead of looking at other options who may have a chance (Shapiro or Whitmer). This is the time to go big, because if they don't then they've already lost imo.

Harris is a personality vacuum with a pretty tetchy record as DA who shouldn't have been VP in the first place.

The reality is, the democrats have been calling this the most important election of a lifetime, but it's paralysed them into inaction as a result.

It's a tough choice. Do you throw a credible candidate in at the last moment who might win and if they lose then they are a write off for 2028 or do you give Harris a chance even though she'll likely lose and save your best candidates for 4 years time.

Another big issue is if any of the project 2025 stuff and other rumours are true then will the Dems have a genuine chance in 2028?

I think the Dem have rally behind Harris the next week or two give her chance to really project as presumptive nominee but have stalking horse ready.

Harris' poll number are basically as VP whos basically warm body if the president dies. Its very hard to put yourself forward in that circumstance.

Latest posts