• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2022 Six Nations] England vs Wales (26/02/22)

Put it this way. I have never, in real life or online, heard anywhere near the same level of abuse from England fans towards Ireland as I have towards Wales. And I've been in many an English rugby club over the years. France maybe but then that's just your usual Tory xenophobia at play tbh.

The players always single this game out as something special as well.

I think the players look much more up for games against Australia and Ireland than wales these days. I'm not sure about fans in general, the welsh obsession with England is the issue though.

If the welsh players were up for SH teams like they were for playing England they could possibly become a tier 1 team again.
Our recent record against SA and OZ isn't that bad, though. It's just NZ that we have a mental block against but then they are the best side in the world so understandable to a degree.

In terms of atmosphere at the MilStad, sure - I've never seen anyone say it's bigger than a test match vs Australia or anything, though
I'd say that's what it's all about. Atmosphere and occasion. Also, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I've never seen England players say they consider Australia to be some massive game either.

I think it's a natural response. England fans and players know they are disliked and other countries (not just Wales) get themselves up for it when they play England so it's normal to get yourself up for it in response. Rugby is an emotional, gladiatorial sport so it's complete natural to G yourself up against a old bitter rival.

All in all players are pretty professional, though. And it's easy for us fans to forget that a lot of these players from different countries are friends with various English players. Fan wise, though, I still maintain that England fans save a special place in their heart for Wales games.

Emotionally, England v Wales is the biggest game of the year for me, but I'm an Englishman living in South Wales and it's a tense day, banter wise. English mates back home (mainly Gloucestershire) aren't as interested in it as I am though. They definitely put more weight on games v the SH and Ireland.

Yeah I think this is the biggest rivalry in the NH overall, it's constant whereas the rest seem to peak and trough.

Recent history dictates Irish rivalries more, and I think Argentina are the only team where there's proper dislike going both ways for us. England had a bit of dominance lately and the fixture lost a bit of bite, we need a close and controversial game to get it back. I think the biggest England v Ireland clashes are bigger because they're generally played at a higher level but the match up hasn't reached the heights of the 2013-2017 games lately. The fans all generally get on well too I find, after the Wales game this year I found Welsh fans stuck to themselves far more than English fans generally would. (Certainly the ones I came across but it's admittedly a small sample) Currently I think France and NZ is where most of our energy is going.

Scotland v England might be bigger at the moment, obviously it's the oldest rivalry and there is a hilarious lack of respect between the fans of both sides so now that it's actually a competitive tie blood is boiling a bit.

Scotland v England might be bigger at the moment, obviously it's the oldest rivalry and there is a hilarious lack of respect between the fans of both sides so now that it's actually a competitive tie blood is boiling a bit.
It's hard to take the calcutta cup too seriously when it's basically England vs England

Its complicated, growing up at the turn of professionalism I'd have said France were our biggest NH rivals but they were good and Wales sucked. The rivalry was intensified during the Gatland years.

This said SH games were always bigger especially tours.

I'd say England's biggest rivals are whoever is good right now.

Its complicated, growing up at the turn of professionalism I'd have said France were our biggest NH rivals but they were good and Wales sucked. The rivalry was intensified during the Gatland years.

This said SH games were always bigger especially tours.

I'd say England's biggest rivals are whoever is good right now.
I think this is a fair point. Part of being a professional sportsman, or woman, is wanting to test yourself against the best. Historically the SH teams have always been the best or up there with so it's only natural for players to really be up for those ones.

Likewise with fans, though different obviously. For fans it's more of a case of something different. We play each other every year but that's not the case with the SH sides so they have an extra appeal to fans for sure.

These comments could backfire .
Just cause Wales are bad doesn't mean England aren't bad too ;)

I'm on record as saying it's going to be a **** game and either side could win it,
I would be amazed if either set of fans is happy with their sides performance afterwards

With globalisation and professionalism I don't think any of the 'rivalries' carry the real spite they may once have. Nonetheless the atmosphere can be lively enough and I love a good local dust up, so who will win the Bledisloe battle of the coaches?

Mike Brown said not a single Welsh player would get into the England side. That should be up there in the changing rooms. Lol.
On current selections so far, I'd say maybe Josh Adams and literall any scrum half, but unsure i'd make a huge argument for the rest.. if you're including likely teams this weekend, maybe Faletau at 8 too

Yeah it's a funny thing rivalries, it's not too uncommon for one side to be more invested than the other. For example with Football, England fans seem Germany as a top rival but the Germans themselves often think the Dutch as bigger rivals.

Latest posts