• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2021 Six Nations] Wales vs England (27/02/21)

I think there's a common theme that refs get hated on when your team loses. This is universal in all sports. French refs get a lot of bad rep over here so I'm not surprised to hear that over in France it's the other way round.
I do make a difference between a fair and clean defeat and a dubious one and I know that in the last 5-6 years we have been pretty bad. I never felt that for the french football team for example, or any other sport. Yes the weight of reffing decisions is more important in rugby hence why it can change the face of a game. I know you won't believe so it is fine with me but yes there are been more than the average number of dubious reffing towards the french in the last 40 year of 5 and 6 nations. There are some cultural explanations to it: rugby was played at universities in the UK whereas it was played in villages/lower class people in France, Language has been an issue for long time in the 5-6 nations (Frenchies were not speaking english very well et there were almost no french referees until 2000 I think in the 6 nations) and at last but not the least, I beleive that the "surendering monkeys" and a certain arrogance had also its lot of bad influence on human beings having to reff some matches. It is much better nowadays, france is now reffed rather fairly and it is fine but it has not been the case for quite long time, whatever you can think of it

Anyway, was just to comment on your point on Nigel Owens, as I said , when Nigel Owens used to ref a french match, we knew we would have to be much much better than the other team to win it. He has been a tiny better towards the end of his carreer but for me, he has always been the representation of those old fashion british refs that had a bias against the frenchies. I may be wrong but this is what I believe. Again, it would never make a line in british newspaper, it would be dismissed straight "no dear it cannot be" :)

Not surprising to see 2 biased one protecting each other haha

And the 15 English refs who agreed with him?
We have already established that there is a split amongst officials which further adds to this being largely down to interpretation and not Facts, facts it what Nigel originally implied.

We have already established that there is a split amongst officials which further adds to this being largely down to interpretation and not Facts, facts it what Nigel originally implied.

That quote from him is the total opposite of fact he's saying you can award the try or not award the try depending on your interpretation

I think a lot of the English on here would agree with you.
Here is a lot better than average, as most posters at least understand how to play rugby. Other social media like Reddit, Facebook etc. They can only focus on the ref as they don't really understand what they seeing on the pitch play wise.

The whole team was giving away penalties left right and centre in the last 20. Think it's a bit ridiculous to single out itoje when a few are him jumping across the line which he has no control over.

That quote from him is the total opposite of fact he's saying you can award the try or not award the try depending on your interpretation
No it isn't he is saying if I agree that it's a jump it's no try as if that is a fact which it isn't, if I was to concede that May jumped and it was not a dive that by definition does not make it null and void which is very much what Nige is implying as fact.

Convenient

Oh, I'm a liar am I?

I guess it's not just Nigel that likes to make stuff up to get under the skin of the horrible English.

I'll try and dig it out for you but pretty sure it was the Rugby Pod so feel free to have a listen. I suppose I might've misheard/misunderstood Barnes but I can assure you I haven't made it up.

No it isn't he is saying if I agree that it's a jump it's no try as if that is a fact which it isn't, if I was to concede that May jumped and it was not a dive that by definition does not make it null and void which is very much what Nige is implying as fact.

Implying? He's giving his opinion bud. He's not implying anything other than in his opinion the try shouldn't have stood.

The vomit inducing AWJ love in is in full flow in Wales. He's a legend for carrying the triple crown trophy stand, apparently.

I do make a difference between a fair and clean defeat and a dubious one and I know that in the last 5-6 years we have been pretty bad. I never felt that for the french football team for example, or any other sport. Yes the weight of reffing decisions is more important in rugby hence why it can change the face of a game. I know you won't believe so it is fine with me but yes there are been more than the average number of dubious reffing towards the french in the last 40 year of 5 and 6 nations. There are some cultural explanations to it: rugby was played at universities in the UK whereas it was played in villages/lower class people in France, Language has been an issue for long time in the 5-6 nations (Frenchies were not speaking english very well et there were almost no french referees until 2000 I think in the 6 nations) and at last but not the least, I beleive that the "surendering monkeys" and a certain arrogance had also its lot of bad influence on human beings having to reff some matches. It is much better nowadays, france is now reffed rather fairly and it is fine but it has not been the case for quite long time, whatever you can think of it

Anyway, was just to comment on your point on Nigel Owens, as I said , when Nigel Owens used to ref a french match, we knew we would have to be much much better than the other team to win it. He has been a tiny better towards the end of his carreer but for me, he has always been the representation of those old fashion british refs that had a bias against the frenchies. I may be wrong but this is what I believe. Again, it would never make a line in british newspaper, it would be dismissed straight "no dear it cannot be" :)

Not surprising to see 2 biased one protecting each other haha

Why do you think Nigel Owens hates the French?

Rugby is a working class game in Wales as well

I mean you said the referee never called time off, then completely ignored the clip of the referee calling time off so...

Did I say that? I thought I said I didn't hear him call time off but accepted the clock was stopped. That's a bit different isn't it.

I was kinda hoping you were just joking about the lying bit. Not very nice of you old bean.

As I said it came from Wayne Barnes on a podcast I was listening to but I can't remember which one.

Convenient
He was on The Rugby Pod, and he did say the opinion was closely split on the incident.

However, listening to it, I can see how the laws can be somewhat misinterpreted through a chinese whisper effect so what is an area for interpretation becomes black and white.

Law is about dangerous play - jumping into a tackle COULD be dangerous, ergo, jumping a tackle is assumed dangerous play without looking at the incident in isolation.

Implying? He's giving his opinion bud. He's not implying anything other than in his opinion the try shouldn't have stood.
Your defence of Nigel is getting weaker and weaker here, that post I quoted was in response asking for clarification on the laws around jumping so an opinion was not what was asked for (contrary to Popular belief Nigel opinion and the law of rugby are not one of the same) secondly he was saying in his opinion it was not a try based on the belief it was a jump not a dive.

Latest posts