• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 TRC] New Zealand v Argentina in Christchurch (17/07/2015)

Dagg covers those questions and he has a huge clearance punt that is second to none should the flow or change of the game plan allow it. Yes Ben Smith is better at full back but drastic measures need drastic actions.

Dagg in my opinion is essential esp with clearance and catching the classic highball in his own 22 without panicking. Gotta remember that without Cruden there's a slight re-adjustment in defensive play with directional kicking on the back foot.

Having a huge punt is about the only thing he has though, and you can't mention Dagg and defense in the same sentence as they do not go hand in hand :)

Having a huge punt is about the only thing he has though, and you can't mention Dagg and defense in the same sentence as they do not go hand in hand :)

Defense? Maybe I'm feeling nostalgic here but do you remember his covering tackles on our try line with no other defenders near him.

If not Dagg to replace Smith at full back then who?

Todd is just too bland, he offers nothing in terms of star quality, again he is pretty reliable and can slot in but he is not, Cane or Savea.

I can't believe you said that about todd... The guy is a beast, he's proven himself at test level and on actual form I think he's ahead of Cane right now and I'm a chiefs & sam Cane supporter. Heck didn't he just become the first forward to score a try 5 games in a row? That's bland?

- - - Updated - - -

Defense? Maybe I'm feeling nostalgic here but do you remember his covering tackles on our try line with no other defenders near him.

Piutau or Skudder

I love the guy but sorry Dagg can't touch these guys right now.

- - - Updated - - -

Piutau or Skudder

I can't believe you said that about todd... The guy is a beast, he's proven himself at test level and on actual form I think he's ahead of Cane right now and I'm a chiefs & sam Cane supporter. Heck didn't he just become the first forward to score a try 5 games in a row? That's bland?

- - - Updated - - -

Piutau or Skudder

- - - Updated - - -

Piutau or Skudder

Damn it Larksea :( I forgot about Skudder. I agree

Fair call

Damn it Larksea :( I forgot about Skudder. I agree

Fair call

Also, Barrett is an option off the bench, to cover fullback, and has a pretty good kicking game too ... Not advocating anyone at this stage, let's see how they are all placed after the RC

yip. with the WC squad size being so limiting combined with the probability that Slade, Barrett and Carter will be selected. I think covering 15 will be an important role for Barrett. And to be brutally honest he's probably a better option at 15 than Dagg anyway.

yip. with the WC squad size being so limiting combined with the probability that Slade, Barrett and Carter will be selected. I think covering 15 will be an important role for Barrett. And to be brutally honest he's probably a better option at 15 than Dagg anyway.

I'm going to say with 90% certainty that Dagg will make the final squad.

Halfback - Smith, Perenara, Kerr-Barlow
First Five - Carter, Barrett, Slade
Midfield - Nonu, Smith, Williams, Fekitoa
Outside Backs - Smith, Savea, Naholo, Dagg

That's what I'm expecting.

Also, Barrett is an option off the bench, to cover fullback, and has a pretty good kicking game too ... Not advocating anyone at this stage, let's see how they are all placed after the RC

Barrett off the bench as an impact player for sure but only as an attacking play maker with options to run.

We'll just have to wait and see where Hansen picks and chooses his players and in what position.

I still think we need cover play in defense and as much as I'm happy to admit when I wrong.....I'd still have Dagg in the mix somewhere along the lines.

But then again.....who would have thought that Beaver would have kicked the game changer and all things considered.....who would have thought that Woodcock would have scored the first and only try in the final?

Last edited:
Barrett off the bench as an impact player for sure but only as an attacking play maker with options to run.

We'll just have to wait and see where Hansen picks and chooses his players and in what position.

I still think we need cover play in defense and as much as I'm happy to admit when I wrong.....I'd still have Dagg in the mix somewhere along the lines.

But then again.....who would have thought that Beaver would have kicked the game changer and all things considered.....who would have thought that Woodcock would have scored the first and only try in the final?

A psychic chicken.

NMS, Barrett, Piutau would be 3 I could think of

This is a good option, I feel at test level he plays better at 15 than 10

I'm going to say with 90% certainty that Dagg will make the final squad.

Halfback - Smith, Perenara, Kerr-Barlow
Outside Backs - Smith, Savea, Naholo, Dagg

That's what I'm expecting.

I think that is about right, only person gone from that list I would like to see is Dagg based on current form, if Dagg can get back to 2012 form in the next few games than leave him there by all means.

Was my reference.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have an embarrassment of riches in the loose forwards, I'd hate to be the selector, incredible guys like Todd and Ardie aren't nailed starters and one will miss out on going to the RWC, maybe even both.

There's so many other options at FB than Izzy. I'm sure you already know that Sonic Kiwi, I would rather have Barrett there than Dagg. I hope he has a shocker vs Argentina and we definitely don't carry him to the RWC, there's not much room for passengers, especially in the backs.

We have an embarrassment of riches in the loose forwards, I'd hate to be the selector, incredible guys like Todd and Ardie aren't nailed starters and one will miss out on going to the RWC, maybe even both.

There's so many other options at FB than Izzy. I'm sure you already know that Sonic Kiwi, I would rather have Barrett there than Dagg. I hope he has a shocker vs Argentina and we definitely don't carry him to the RWC, there's not much room for passengers, especially in the backs.

Fair enough Kiwi. I'm sure you realize that with our forward pack compared to others esp in the front row department depending on law interpretations we'll probably need a punter with accuracy to play a game in "their half"?.

You're 100% correct though, we have heaps of fast loose forwards, it's just a pity that we don't have an "embarrassingly" young mobile pack up front.

As for clearance kicking........???????

Such a small part of the role though, attack and defense are way more important than clearing kicks.

I agree Lizard but if you look at when the ELV laws came into practice, believe it or not we kick more than most. Difference is that we kick for possession whether as box kicks or clearance and when the kick matters.

If there was a rushing defense in our 22 then Barrett wouldn't cut the mustard......Dagg would either kick up field for clearance or kick on the wing with brains.

At the end of the day, we need a tactical punter.

Ben Smith is an outstanding kicker and a "tactical" punter. Take those Crusader goggles off for a minute.

NMS, Barrett, Piutau would be 3 I could think of

This is a good option, I feel at test level he plays better at 15 than 10

I think that is about right, only person gone from that list I would like to see is Dagg based on current form, if Dagg can get back to 2012 form in the next few games than leave him there by all means.

exactly what i was going to say

"Halfback - Smith, Perenara, Kerr-Barlow
Outside Backs - Smith, Savea, Naholo, Dagg"

when you look at that they are all pretty experienced (bar Naholo), surely they could drop Dagg for a boulter

[/I][/COLOR]when you look at that they are all pretty experienced (bar Naholo), surely they could drop Dagg for a boulter

Bare in mind Naholo played in 4-5 Rounds of the World Sevens Circuit, so he already has the temperament for playing at the highest level..

Latest posts