• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 TRC] New Zealand v Argentina in Christchurch (17/07/2015)

TRF_stormer2010

TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Stormers
140916065417362597.png

140916065415463267.png
140916065416590853.png
140916065412996251.png

Kick off: 17 July 2015, 09h35 local time
Venue: AMI Stadium, Christchurch​

So strange to have a Rugby Championship match on a Friday...

I like it. Best way to start a weekend, and means my Saturday doesn't revolve around being near a TV for a few hours.

I like it. Best way to start a weekend, and means my Saturday doesn't revolve around being near a TV for a few hours.

That's where you and I are different.

I prefer my Rugby on Saturdays. And I prefer spending my Saturdays on my couch in front of the tv, with some snacks and zero disturbances.

Likely starting Pumas XV according the last training:

1 Marcos Ayerza
2 Agustín Creevy (c)
3 Ramiro Herrera
4 Guido Petti
5 Manuel Carizza
6 Juan Fernández Lobbe
7 Juan Leguizamón
8 Facundo Isa
9 Tomás Cubelli
10 Nicolás Sánchez
11 Horacio Agulla
12 Jerónimo de la Fuente
13 Marcelo Bosch
14 Santiago Cordero
15 Joaquín Tuculet

I wrote that this could be the starting XV, few days ago

I'm not sure, maybe:

1- Marcos Ayerza
2- Agustin Creevy (c)
3- Nahuel Tetaz Chaparro
4- Guido Petti
5- Manuel Carizza
6- Fernandez Lobbe
7- Javier Ortega Desio
8- Juan Leguizamon
9- Tomas Cubelli
10 Nicolas Sanchez
11- Horacio Agulla
12- Jerónimo De la Fuente
13- Marcelo Bosch
14- Juan Imhoff
15- Joaquin Tuculet

12/15 not bad

Last edited:
Santiago Cordero for starter!

Come on boy, give'em hell.

Also Facundo Isa.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm looking forward to this match especially regarding our (NZ) tight five against a traditionally forward focused physical rugby nation especially with scrumage and who and when our (NZ) bring on impact players in the forwards to counteract their style.

Not just scrumage but mauls in particular the rolling one.

My concern is that Woodcock and Melamu are tried and tested esp with experience but we don't have many experienced fill ins to test the Argy's at their own style type of game.

The Frank bros are options for prop wise but who else?

Santiago Cordero for starter!

Come on boy, give'em hell.

Also Facundo Isa.

Great video and footage Horacito but 7's rugby isn't 15's. Most of the tries were scored from bad defense but then again it also showed how the Pumas are not only 1 dimensional with a forward pack but the Argies can play running rugga as well to mix things up a bit.

Personally and it's only my opinion but half those tries on your video wouldn't have been scored with structured defense.

Great video and footage Horacito but 7's rugby isn't 15's. Most of the tries were scored from bad defense but then again it also showed how the Pumas are not only 1 dimensional with a forward pack but the Argies can play running rugga as well to mix things up a bit.

Personally and it's only my opinion but half those tries on your video wouldn't have been scored with structured defense.

I agree @Sonic Kiwi;

I rate Cordero, he was just as good in the U20s as he was in 7s. I wondered why he was left out last RC.

Because he didn't want to be. Last year he did preparation in pensacola and all and then talked to Hourcade, realized he wasn't ready and went on to play argentinian championship (XV) where he nailed it.

I don't think he's ready either. To begin with, he's not big enough to make a decent defense against any kiwi wing, or to brake a tackle if he's five meters from the touch line. So why? Well, Daniel Hourcade just found out about Hernández at 12 and his decisions so far have been excelent, he must know something I don't, and probably his insight on rugby is like Hubble telescope compared to mine, so I will trust him. In the meantime, I will trust the kid to be able to do what he did in the video... in rugby XV. He just won the upper hand to Juan Imhoff, dammit.

If Montero was there, I'm pretty sure the debate wouldn't exist.

New Zealand: 15 Israel Dagg, 14 Waisake Naholo, 13 Ma'a Nonu, 12 Sonny Bill Williams, 11 Charles Piutau, 10 Daniel Carter, 9 TJ Perenara, 8 Kieran Read, 7 Richie McCaw (c), 6 Jerome Kaino, 5 Brodie Retallick, 4 Luke Romano, 3 Owen Franks, 2 Keven Mealamu, 1 Tony Woodcock

Replacements: 16 Codie Taylor, 17 Wyatt Crockett, 18 Nepo Laulala, 19 Jeremy Thrush, 20 Liam Messam, 21 Andy Ellis, 22 Colin Slade, 23 Ryan Crotty.

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_62526,00.html

Weird mix, must be the final chance for a few of these guys to get on the plane

Can't believe they still persist with Dagg.

Outside of that I thought they may have put SBW/Fekitoa at 12/13 or vice versa to rest Nonu.

Like Jabby said, few odd ball choices but they must be looking at a couple of spots that are still undecided.

Is Sam Cane injured?

Can't believe they still persist with Dagg.

Outside of that I thought they may have put SBW/Fekitoa at 12/13 or vice versa to rest Nonu.

Like Jabby said, few odd ball choices but they must be looking at a couple of spots that are still undecided.

Is Sam Cane injured?

Cane's not injured, but they said right from the start that he would be rested from the first two games as he's had a pretty heavy workload for the Chiefs this year.

Yeah it's still pretty obvious that this is a somewhat experimental team. It makes me wonder if you guys will field your strongest line-up at all in the RC, I guess there is no real reason to show ones hand before the WC, SA and Aus may do something similar. It's still a strong team however and should be enough to put away the Arguies, what Dagg does right he does inconsistently, and his defense is questionable but I feel like we must have gotten to a stage where Smith is the starting FB when he isn't being rested.
I'm also a little surprised to not see Fekitoa of Nonu, as they both played in the final, and Fekitoa wouldn't be playing out of position.

He's got to give Dagg more than one game vs Samoa to really see and confirm he's not good enough, they have invested the last 5 years into him. I have faith he will not be picked. We're definitely resting some starters and seeing if guys still have it, or potentially could have it, but also thrown in some seasoned starters to still stabilize the team. The front row is of particular concern though.

This could be our first loss to Argentina if we're not careful.

Last edited:
I hate that team. Hate it. I think that backline will move the ball too slowly for it to do much good for the wingers. I fear if a winger goes down we are going to see Slade go there (and sorry, he is not a winger). And it has Israel Dagg - who just doesn't offer anything any more. The SBW/Nonu combo was tried a wee while ago at Twikenham, what makes the coaches think it's going to work particularly well now? Also - I want to see Savea take on Argentina, it's where he scores half his tries..

And the forwards. Luke Romano. I have no idea why he is even in the squad.

He's got to give Dagg more than one game vs Samoa to really see and confirm he's not good enough, they have invested the last 5 years into him. I have faith he will not be picked. We're definitely resting some starters and seeing if guys still have it, or potentially could have it, but also thrown in some seasoned starters to still stabilize the team. The front row is of particular concern though.

This could be our first loss to Argentina if we're not careful.

Dagg has run out of chances, we have so many better players that will perform straight away.

And the forwards. Luke Romano. I have no idea why he is even in the squad.

He is a workhorse I reckon, sure he is not outstanding like Retallick or Whitelock but who else is is in the country(that is not out for the season), he does the hard yards and that is what is needed sometimes.

Latest posts