• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2015 Super Rugby Grand Final: Hurricanes vs Highlanders

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A tad of a generalization, not everyone that's turning up is just because the teams winning. There is a few of us true supporters. I don't get to go to as many games anymore as I live in the Manawatu region now but I always try to go to at least 2 every year and go to a few ITM Cup games (was handy as the Canes played in Palmy this year). I watch every game, regardless of the time. I know you guys aren't referring to me but I'm getting a lil annoyed from parties elsewhere (Facebook) that's saying that all the true loyal fans have missed out and all the people who don't even know rugby got tickets, that's not entirely true.

Yeah for sure.

But my problem is with NZ supporters in general I guess. You look at football matches around the world and other sports and their support is full capacity week in week out. NZ teams struggle to fill the stadiums a part from Hamilton and Christchurch and I feel we do well given our population and team performance past 10 years (usually 15,000). I think the effort could be better all season round from other franchises, not just show up when it's final footy. Auckland has shows it's true colours, I think it speaks now about how unkiwi Auckland has become.

Yeah for sure.

But my problem is with NZ supporters in general I guess. You look at football matches around the world and other sports and their support is full capacity week in week out. NZ teams struggle to fill the stadiums a part from Hamilton and Christchurch and I feel we do well given our population and team performance past 10 years (usually 15,000). I think the effort could be better all season round from other franchises, not just show up when it's final footy. Auckland has shows it's true colours, I think it speaks now about how unkiwi Auckland has become.

Yeah I know what you're saying, that being said Chiefs/ Saders supporters definitely have fallen off this year. The Canes may have averaged higher numbers tbh. It's not hard to make a stadium look fuller than it really is if it's smaller in size to begin with. I just reckon Westpac Stadium doesn't do itself any favours. A crowd of 20,000 there and the place still looks empty whereas elsewhere it looks decent. The Chiefs/ Saders support/ attendance decreasing doesn't surprise me. The Chiefs appeal has worn off a lil a few years on from that golden run. The same thing will happen with the Canes (assuming they'll go on to win it - big assumption I know) unless they play amazingly and even then numbers will still decrease over time. The appeal for a lot of fans just isn't there after the initial few times are passed.

Auckland has a much larger population so maybe some correlation there. I just think for the most part, wherever you are in the world these things happen in a lot of sports. I don't watch football but that may just be an exception. I'm thinking NBA here to back up what I'm saying. It's just human nature more than anything. I don't doubt that there'll be semi arsed fans there on Saturday night but I don't think it's different anywhere else. You only stop those fans if the prices are extreme and then you're only attracting the rich fans so it's a lose lose either way.

The Crusaders actually get a lot of local interest and attention. Rugby is ingrained here, mostly because of the competitive school systems. Not sure of what the attendance numbers are exactly, but there are still plenty of dialogue and intrigue around. Our supporters are the type who have been watching the boys through the highs and lows over the last 15+ years, not the trendy 'if they're winning' sort (although we've won enough to traditionally make it to the semis anyway). There is a lot of local pride in the clubs, schools and even suburbs you live in. This feeds through to our sports teams. The idea that the bulk of our supporters are latte sipping limp wristed trendy bandwagon supporters is laughable. Not saying there isn't some of that like there is for every team, but so many of the supporters are working class who stick around no matter how **** our backline is.

To be fair to Cantabrians (and Aucklanders for that matter) there are external factors outside of rugby to consider. When you're struggling financially and your rates go up 8 percent or more a year then I think I'll forgive you if you don't pop along. Two of the most costly cities in this country for living at the moment. In fact, Auckland is about on par with New York and London. The average cost to rent is $500. I know tickets don't have to be massively expensive, but even a few dollars is a big deal for some people these days.

As for the grand final itself, I suspect if the Hurricanes have a full compliment (particularly having Ardie and NMS) then they should take this out. Home advantage, spurred by it being the last season for a few of the boys, the Jerry Collins factor and the blistering form in general should be enough if they can execute well. The psychological advantage should be with the 'Canes. It's not that I'm not giving the Highlanders "any credit" as Nasi Manu pointed out some fans were doing last week. But I have to pick a team based on what's in front of me. I think the Landers have been the surprise story of the competition, plodding along maybe not quite with the ferocity of the Canes, but certainly with the cohesiveness. Kearns did get one thing right last week, a champion team will always beat a team of champions. And that's what the HL have been able to do well. Canes have the best defense in the competition, and if it can be consistent and contain the likes of Ben Smith, Aaron Smith and Naholo, then I'm tipping them to win. You just can't let any of those guys get too much momentum or go on sniping runs. Fekitoa would be in that group too, but to a lesser extent this year imo. Buckman worthy of a mention too.

Last edited:
Yeah, Rugby is an ingrained culture in Christchurch, the support there has never wavered at all and I don't think it's gone down this year anymore than a successful season for them. The consistency of Auckland and Wellingtons fans is poor. There's no excuse for it or justification, given their resources and population AND the times the games are played (weekends). I watch soccer/football and in every country the stadiums are packed and in the minor lower leagues, even in their mid week games. You won't find a spare seat in a lot of EPL games and there's 38 of them a season + cup competitions and tournaments and the support is outrageous. It really puts Rugby support in perspective and I'm currently sickened by the yuppy crowd in Wellington suddenly flooding along because the team made the play-offs...

Ra ra ra ra. It sucks I've so far missed out on tickets, as I consider myself a bif Canes fan and have managed to get along to at least half the games, but I'd rather people showed interest than no (other than skelpers, ***** them), it's been a long while since Canes fans have had much to cheer about. A Cantab with 7 odd ***les, and every season a semi really wouldn't have a clue. If I have to watch the Canes at home with mates then I'll be happy, just so long ad the crowd doesn't disappear next season.

Ra ra ra ra. It sucks I've so far missed out on tickets, as I consider myself a bif Canes fan and have managed to get along to at least half the games, but I'd rather people showed interest than no (other than skelpers, ***** them), it's been a long while since Canes fans have had much to cheer about. A Cantab with 7 odd ***les, and every season a semi really wouldn't have a clue. If I have to watch the Canes at home with mates then I'll be happy, just so long ad the crowd doesn't disappear next season.

surely they will set up a big screen in Cuba St?

It's actually turned out a complete embarrassment how the tickets have been dealt with.. they allowed people to line up for hours while people could just buy online, so the poor ******** who lined up got d!cked.

The entire competition, minds behind it and organization is still very amateur and stupid.. You never see this sort of terrible organization or stupid competition format.. It's really rubbish.

It's actually turned out a complete embarrassment how the tickets have been dealt with.. they allowed people to line up for hours while people could just buy online, so the poor ******** who lined up got d!cked.

The entire competition, minds behind it and organization is still very amateur and stupid.. You never see this sort of terrible organization or stupid competition format.. It's really rubbish.

Agreed. Although I think the blame can be laid upon Ticketek as opposed to the Canes - they are trying to fix things by allocating 2000 tickets out of 5000 (that go on sale tomorrow) to a pop up stall outside Te Papa, max of 2 tickets (4 online this time). So if you were in the 1st thousand in line in Welly you'd be assured tickets. So people should commend Welly rugby for that initiative - doesn't make it right though.

Anyway on to the actual game (the ticket fiasco is taking away from it a bit) - I really hope Barrett is fit to goal kick - if he's not we have to start Marshall at FB which is pretty ****ty.

not sure what to think of this final.

In a way its great that its two NZ teams it seems deserving considering how strong the NZ conference has been this year. where basically 4 of the 6 best teams were NZ teams.

I would normally want the highlanders to win, but at the same time I expect the Hurricanes to win and it would be a fitting sendoff for Conrad Smith who really does deserve a super rugby ***le on his CV. But do I <3 Conrad as much as I <3 Ben Smith? No...

Then with the Highlanders winning in Sydney they very much deserve the ***le as well.

I wont know who I'm supporting till the game starts and I start shouting for one team or the other...

I think it's fantastic that the final is between two franchises that have not won a super ***le.... It also means that the loser will be the only NZ franchise left that has not won a Super ***le! That will hurt!

I think with all the players leaving the Hurricanes and Crusaders, us and the Chiefs will be the strongest NZ franchises next season. We have a real chance of winning it next year and getting a home final, only player of real note we are losing is Manu and he's replaceable. So I feel like next season could be our year. Especially if we could sign a few more good players.

I think with all the players leaving the Hurricanes and Crusaders, us and the Chiefs will be the strongest NZ franchises next season. We have a real chance of winning it next year and getting a home final, only player of real note we are losing is Manu and he's replaceable. So I feel like next season could be our year. Especially if we could sign a few more good players.

Chiefs are pretty screwed....especially with players playing sevens. Could screw us over a lil too if Savea, Barrett, Vito etc. Opt to play but we have a bit of depth.

Messam & SBW are likely to commit to playing 7's next year chiefs are also losing fitzgerald, gear, Heam, symons, tamiafuna and TNW that I can remember I'm sure there is more.

Next year will be a struggle for the chiefs. I think you'd back Renne to produce a team that can make the playoffs but I dont see the chiefs winning.

We're pretty lucky not to be loosing more than manu, I hope we find a replacement captain or co captain in the forwards, smith looks silly trotting up from the back all the time

Messam & SBW are likely to commit to playing 7's next year chiefs are also losing fitzgerald, gear, Heam, symons, tamiafuna and TNW that I can remember I'm sure there is more.

Next year will be a struggle for the chiefs. I think you'd back Renne to produce a team that can make the playoffs but I dont see the chiefs winning.

You can add Leitch to that list as well..

Well looks like we should be clearly the best team, maybe the Hurricanes as well, if they can fill the holes..

Marshall starting.... Jane not playing at all, Proctor on the bench. I feel like this is definitely because of Barrett possibly not being able to do goal kicking duties but ah well. Ardie Savea is listed but still hit and miss. Milner-Skudder is fine and playing on the wing so it's not all bad. I'm sure Marshall will do better than last week but there's no denying he's a better 10. Not that I'd want him there when Barrett's fit.

You can add Leitch to that list as well..

Well looks like we should be clearly the best team, maybe the Hurricanes as well, if they can fill the holes..

Not to dishearten you (I know you're a Landers fan) but you have to feel that this is the season for the Canes to win - more must win whereas if the Landers go on to lose, you'd have to think they'd be in a good position to go all the way next year).

unfortunately for the canes...i don't think this generation of Highlander is going to be sentimental about those leaving the canes, these guys have got something to prove, they're fizzing and hitting their straps at the right point in the season for once. They've also knocked of the two previous champs in the last two weeks, they've learnt how to win games they shouldn't where the canes have been cruising the last few weeks.

Not saying its a done deal...far from it...but its going to be huge!

unfortunately for the canes...i don't think this generation of Highlander is going to be sentimental about those leaving the canes, these guys have got something to prove, they're fizzing and hitting their straps at the right point in the season for once. They've also knocked of the two previous champs in the last two weeks, they've learnt how to win games they shouldn't where the canes have been cruising the last few weeks.

Not saying its a done deal...far from it...but its going to be huge!

I'm not convinced that the Landers have been winning games they shouldn't. The Chiefs were never gonna beat the Landers and the Tahs were considerably poor, not to take anything away from the Landers of course - I did end up tipping them against the Tahs afterall. The Canes beat the Chiefs in that last round play match - one we weren't meant to win (a much weaker squad than our strongest) and 1st locked and loaded and we won that one - but the Chiefs were considerably poor as well (one which confirmed they weren't going to go all the way). The thing with the Highlanders is they can't perform without their 3 (now 5) All Blacks whereas the Canes depth has proven to still be worthy of winning games. I know the Landers will be most likely fielding a full strength side but it just proves these boys HAVE to be firing on all cylinders and if there's any ****les the Landers could be a lil on the back foot.

Lima's defence is slightly weaker than Barrett's and that could be a potential channel the Canes target. I do think that regardless the Canes will be a stronger side in the last 15 or so minutes (we're fresher, fitter and have better depth) so I feel the first half is more crucial for the Landers. A lot of people are tipping a close 1st half with the Canes to win it in the 2nd and I'm inclined to agree - forget all the "Canes/ Landers will smash them nonsense" this will be a good final.

If Ardie is unable to play it's a bit gutting but Gibbins is a really good player too (just a different style of play) - so we would lose the running game that Ardie offers. So it's no done deal if he can't play but what I've heard is Ardie is looking good to play. The weather is looking like it'll be calm so that benefits the Canes (Highlanders tactics/ style of play would be on the upper hand if it was ******* down raining).

A lot of fans on either side are disrespecting their counterparts which is dumb, this is a final, the top 2 teams and it could be the bounce of one ball that wins the game. We're in for a goodie. I must say I'm getting quite excited. Will be wrapped up warm in the stands cheering the boys on.

It was only a year or two ago that Barrett was practically a revolving door on defence. To say he's totally cleared that up you've got to be having a bit of a laugh. He's been sound but he's hardly been tested.

Lets see him contain Osbourne coming off smiths shoulder on a wrap around off the back of a scrum 15 meters out. Good luck with that is all I can say.

I do think the Hurricanes loosies are so good they probably have covered him a bit at times so that has to be said aswell.

The way these two teams play I dont think its going to be that close at all. Unless they make it that way by both teams playing tight and going into their shells a bit but I think that will favour the Highlanders.

Last edited:
It was only a year or two ago that Barrett was practically a revolving door on defence. To say he's totally cleared that up you've got to be having a bit of a laugh. He's been sound but he's hardly been tested.

Lets see him contain Osbourne coming off smiths shoulder on a wrap around off the back of a scrum 15 meters out. Good luck with that is all I can say.

I do think the Hurricanes loosies are so good they probably have covered him a bit at times so that has to be said aswell.

The way these two teams play I dont think its going to be that close at all. Unless they make it that way by both teams playing tight and going into their shells a bit but I think that will favour the Highlanders.

So players aren't allowed to improve? Barrett's made more tackles than Sopoaga and has played less games so to say he's shying away and getting covered isn't quite true. His defence isn't a liability anymore lets put it that way.

Julian Savea use to not be able to catch a high ball for ****, now he's solid. Players can definitely rectify liabilities.

Latest posts