• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2015 Super Rugby Grand Final: Hurricanes vs Highlanders

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hurricanes

1.Reggie Goodes , 2.Dane Coles , 3.Ben Franks , 4.Jeremy Thrush , 5.James Broadhurst , 6.Brad Shields , 7.Ardie Savea/Callum Gibbins , 8.Victor Vito , 9.TJ Perenara , 10.Beauden Barrett , 11.Julian Savea , 12.Ma'a Nonu , 13.Conrad Smith (c) , 14.Nehe Milner-Skudder , 15.James Marshall

Replacements: 16.Motu Matu'u , 17.Chris Eves , 18.Jeffery Toomaga-Allen , 19.Callum Gibbins/Mark Abbott , 20.Blade Thomson , 21.Chris Smylie , 22.Rey Lee-Lo , 23.Matt Proctor

Highlanders

1. Brendon Edmonds , 2. Liam Coltman , 3. Josh Hohneck , 4. Alex Ainley , 5. Mark Reddish , 6. Elliot Dixon , 7. James Lentjes , 8. Nasi Manu (cc) , 9. Aaron Smith , 10. Lima Sopoaga , 11. Patrick Osborne , 12. Richard Buckman , 13. Malakai Fekitoa , 14. Waisake Naholo , 15. Ben Smith (cc)

Replacements: 16. Ash Dixon , 17. Daniel Lienert-Brown , 18. Ross Geldenhuys , 19. Joe Wheeler , 20. Gareth Evans , 21. Shane Christie , 22. Fumiaki Tanaka , 23. Marty Banks

i would have liked a second back reserve, someone like treeby, played more than backman has this year and player very very well, also knows the cake tin, fresh legs on D in the last 20 could win or loose it

when you also consider the work Barrett does on defense getting back to contain line breaks and opposition runs down the sideline he would have to be considered one of the better defenders going right now. He constantly saves tries in that area. His speed allows him to get across and back and make tackles that I dont think any other 10 going right now can make.

I've got over the fact that Scalper stole my ticket and will be parked up in front of the TV tomorrow evening ready for a great game.
I'm very unsure about Ardie Savea's fitness. It'll be ligaments and I'll bet if it wasn't a Final he'd be taking 3 to 4 weeks off. I reckon they need Gibbons in the reserves as cover (I see he's bracketed at the moment). Gibbons won't let them down.

And won't old Bucky have a laugh if he can help defeat his old team, playing at 2nd Five against Maaa. Who would have ever picked that?

Go the Canes.

Well, we're at least assured of a new champion which is always nice IMO.

And the two best sides in the final. Both have played great attacking Rugby, it's great for the sport. None of this cynical forward play from the Chiefs/Waratahs or the rolling maul tactics from the SA teams/Brumbies.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if Ardie Savea can play blindside flanker? Or a position outside of just 7? Thinking beyond this year and going in the future, it'd be cool playing a couple of our options in the same 15 (i.e: Cane/Savea). We seem spoiled for choice with some of our flankers at the moment and there is a lot of debate over Savea/Todd/Cane beyond 2015. I do think versatility will be needed in order to get game time for some guys. Todd can play 6, but I doubt he has the physicality for it at international level. Savea may not have the stature of Kaino but can obviously do some bruising things to players, so it got me wondering.

Does anyone know if Ardie Savea can play blindside flanker? Or a position outside of just 7? Thinking beyond this year and going in the future, it'd be cool playing a couple of our options in the same 15 (i.e: Cane/Savea). We seem spoiled for choice with some of our flankers at the moment and there is a lot of debate over Savea/Todd/Cane beyond 2015. I do think versatility will be needed in order to get game time for some guys. Todd can play 6, but I doubt he has the physicality for it at international level. Savea may not have the stature of Kaino but can obviously do some bruising things to players, so it got me wondering.

Yeah basically it's his size that holds him back. Wellington played him on the wing a few times at the end of games a few seasons ago, not that he'd play there (haha).

Yeah I noticed the size thing too. Isn't he around 1.88 m? Shorter than Messam, Collins and obviously Kaino. So we'd be sacrificing a bit in the lineout. Just seems too good to leave out, and he's always been a great player.

when you also consider the work Barrett does on defense getting back to contain line breaks and opposition runs down the sideline he would have to be considered one of the better defenders going right now. He constantly saves tries in that area. His speed allows him to get across and back and make tackles that I dont think any other 10 going right now can make.

Yeah exactly, his defence is solid. I seem to remember a try saving tackle Barrett made for the All Blacks by chasing the man down - a perfect example to what you're referring to. Sopoaga's defence is pretty average (borderline poor tbh) and I have no doubts that the Canes will look to exploit his channel. If he doesn't fix his defence he'll never be an All Black beyond the one or two tests he'll play this year. I certainly wouldn't want him there until that's rectified. You'd have to also say that Aaron Smith is doing a world of difference for him too. He played poorly when Smith was out.

I've got over the fact that Scalper stole my ticket and will be parked up in front of the TV tomorrow evening ready for a great game.
I'm very unsure about Ardie Savea's fitness. It'll be ligaments and I'll bet if it wasn't a Final he'd be taking 3 to 4 weeks off. I reckon they need Gibbons in the reserves as cover (I see he's bracketed at the moment). Gibbons won't let them down.

And won't old Bucky have a laugh if he can help defeat his old team, playing at 2nd Five against Maaa. Who would have ever picked that?

Go the Canes.

Gibbins is a solid player and I felt sorry for him not to at least get a bench spot last week (just shows our awesome depth) but he'll be at least on the bench this week, which is awesome openside cover as well. No denying we want Ardie to start though and I'd say the damage can't be that bad "Dynamic flanker Ardie Savea is likely to be cleared fit for the Hurricanes in a major boost ahead of the Super Rugby final against the Highlanders". Boyd has said he's expecting him to be fine so I'm sure it can't be as bad as a 3 - 4 week injury.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah I noticed the size thing too. Isn't he around 1.88 m? Shorter than Messam, Collins and obviously Kaino. So we'd be sacrificing a bit in the lineout. Just seems too good to leave out, and he's always been a great player.

Yeah although I'd sacrifice the couple of cms for a bit of mass but he's not winning that department either (quite lean in nature - well for a flanker) weighing 95kgs - so that doesn't help him either BUT he's a really good player with lots of promise and I have no doubts he'll be an AB one day. I just reckon they've gone for Todd purely because he's more experienced and has more mass.

Ardie Savea is listed at 100kg on on the Canes website, I'd imagine he's a bit heavier now (don't trust wiki). He is certainly more suited to openside, but he's a very similar height to Messam. He reminds me a bit of Chris Masoe in some ways.

Yeah although I'd sacrifice the couple of cms for a bit of mass but he's not winning that department either (quite lean in nature - well for a flanker) weighing 95kgs - so that doesn't help him either BUT he's a really good player with lots of promise and I have no doubts he'll be an AB one day. I just reckon they've gone for Todd purely because he's more experienced and has more mass.

Ardie Savea is listed at 100kg on on the Canes website, I'd imagine he's a bit heavier now (don't trust wiki). He is certainly more suited to openside, but he's a very similar height to Messam. He reminds me a bit of Chris Masoe in some ways.

Funnily enough, for what it's worth, Ardie actually personally told me earlier this year that he was 102kg at the time, and he is definitely around the same height as Messam as I've stood next to both of them and they are around about my height (6ft 3).

I guess if he's a close stature to Messam it doesn't really matter too much. Whether they get him to play another position depends on if he feels comfortable, can adapt, and if there's a need for it.

Personally I think the ABs will need that Chris Masoe or McCaw type player who can cover 3 or so positions (Luatua isn't open side obv, but they've got that with him).

I don't see why Ardie couldn't pull it off. It's not like he's athletic/fast and nothing else. Masoe wasn't the biggest guy around - in fact, if Wiki can be believed on this one, it has him and Ardie at the same height.

Edit: Not sure if it's been posted, but Ardie is looking likely for the match according to Boyd. http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11475526

Last edited:
Funnily enough, for what it's worth, Ardie actually personally told me earlier this year that he was 102kg at the time, and he is definitely around the same height as Messam as I've stood next to both of them and they are around about my height (6ft 3).

It's assumed that Messam weighs around 110 kg

It's assumed that Messam weighs around 110 kg

Well, 108kgs. That being said, for all that is made about his 'physicality', I don't think he is particularly dominant in the collisions anyway.

Nasi Manu's eye!!

Man, he looks like Cleveland from Family Guy.

Ardie is out of the final?

Well, 108kgs. That being said, for all that is made about his 'physicality', I don't think he is particularly dominant in the collisions anyway.

Not many can be dominant at international level. Kaino couldn't be dominant against the Pumas at WC 2011

Latest posts