• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Semi Final 1: South Africa vs. New Zealand (24/10/2015)

Is Carter more decorated than Wilkinson?

Note I'm being partially pedantic here would be interesting to see Wilkinsons record had he not been injured for prolonged periods when he should of been in his prime.

True enough, but Carter has also had his own injury issues as well; the whole "who's the best of all time" is a bit of a waste of time IMO, there's no way to measure, and you can't compare eras. All you can say is that McCaw is statistically the most successful test captain over a long period of time, and that Carter is the highest points scorer ... did they get those records because the All Blacks have been dominant for large parts of their careers, or were the ABs dominant because of their success? ... probably a little of both

I think the ABs juggernaut would have rolled on if Nick Evans was our number 10 back when DC use to be extremely good. But I also think we wouldn't have had those special moments that Carter provided us with, such as his performance in the Lions tour. I do have pretty clear memories from when Carter and McCaw use to be at their peak. It was truly them, and daylight second. But we've transitioned from that and focused on a more team orientated game. We're not so incredibly worried if one of them goes down. And it's not just because of them getting older, it's just the nature of our whole mindset and structure now.

"Accident or intent there's no chance a citing officer would ban him."
"McCaw's arm seemed to smash into Louw's face"
Doesn't this smack of the English press attempting to influence the citing commissioners? They should give up trying to take cheap shots at other teams and continue ripping up on their own team.

FYI: McCaw and Carter are already accepted by many (including NH greats) as the best ever. The facts and stats are undeniable. Now that might be hard to swallow for many you NH supporters but you'll just have to get used to it!!!!

Good:
- Dan Carter's kicking and it is remarkable he has played so many minutes but stayed injury-free
- South Africa played really well in patches and dominated certain facets of the game from time to time, especially the breakdown.
- Victor Matfield played well in his last game.
- Was a tight game contested by two very even teams.

Bad:
- I didn't see much attacking play from the Boks backline. No real putting phases together, offloads, line breaks
- Maybe it is time to bring Coles closer to the rucks. Just a suggestion.
- The ref was maybe a bit too "card-happy" but he did a good job of policing "round the neck" clean outs.

Maybe:
- It is too late but I can't help but think Fekitoa/Messam should've got more minutes
- Give Faf de Klerk a chance? :)
- We can ship Chris Rattue north and he can buddy up with Stephen Jones

Last edited:
Well... I went straight to bed lol.

Nervous times they were. That ref was shocking. South Africa constantly holding on, would have hands in the Rocks RIGHT INFRONT of the ref, nothing. Why is there such a gulf between referees? That game would have played completely different with another referee, but why?

So then a shoulder charge on McCaw huh :p

Makes sense, Luow did pivot around making it look weird if the main impact was on the head.

Yeah they missed another yellow on the boks there should of been a yellow for impeding the great Mccaw on his way to stealing that ball. As if it wasnt for Louw we all know he would of stole that ball back!!......

If that incident comes to anything at all all NZ supporters will know its just the ROTW being a bunch of sissy sore losers. How could it be anything else??

Pretty much this

I see it differently, if you hit someone with that force you have to have a tense forearm. Flouw didn't stand up, he remained on one knee the whole time after claiming the ball until he was hit. I couldn't say for sure it was intentional obviously but my gut feeling is that it was.

Really, how can you say this? When has McCaw ever played dirty and done something like this? even when he has been on the receiving end off foul play he maintains his composure and lets his actions do the talking.

Shows how little you know about NZ rugby or rugby in general.

Geez the English media really hate the All Blacks don't they.

Its more the hate of our success and the fact they look **** in there own WC

Typical NZ resorting to Drop goals.

lol righto :huh:

It's funny reading through the posts, the moment NZ get a pressure game and don't run away with it they are suddenly choking.....

NZ was actually quite dominate this game on everything except scoreboard and penalties, I was a bit perplexed with the amount of grubber kicks etc especially during the first half just mindless kicking the ball away every time we got within SA 22 and the discipline was very poor which they just can't afford to do in world cup knockout matches but I never actually felt nervous throughout this game at all, always felt like we were in control and all the stats and 2 tries to none show that

This game was always going to be tight, SA are a good side but they lacked any punch that looked like they would ever score a try, they played for the penalties and NZ weren't good enough to stop giving them very easy 3 points to stay within reach

This was probably a very good game for guys who haven't faced that sort of pressure in a knock out game (ie all the guys not here from 2011). I'm sure they would have learnt a few lessons and can perform better next week now they've experienced the intensity.

lol righto :huh:

It's funny reading through the posts, the moment NZ get a pressure game and don't run away with it they are suddenly choking.....

NZ was actually quite dominate this game on everything except scoreboard and penalties, I was a bit perplexed with the amount of grubber kicks etc especially during the first half just mindless kicking the ball away every time we got within SA 22 and the discipline was very poor which they just can't afford to do in world cup knockout matches but I never actually felt nervous throughout this game at all, always felt like we were in control and all the stats and 2 tries to none show that

This game was always going to be tight, SA are a good side but they lacked any punch that looked like they would ever score a try, they played for the penalties and NZ weren't good enough to stop giving them very easy 3 points to stay within reach

I felt a little nervous at times especially in the last 10 where a drop goal/penalty could have won the game for Boks. But NZ just completely nullified the threats with that drive from the line out in the 22 and the consecutive line out when Whitelock stole it. Most other times I felt that NZ were in control even in the first half when we were behind. Kinda comforting knowing Boks couldn't do much with ball in hand.

Apropos of nothing....there were 12 scrums in this game, the first coming at 25 minutes followed by two more in the first half.

Sonny Bill... the Legend continues... awesome impact when he came on and then what a great guy.
The 21 year old safer centre was struggling with the moment , which shows how much it means in the RSA, and SBW offers a helping hand.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother...

I don't mean to keep going on about this, but just rewatched that first try. To me that is absolutely a forward pass by about 1ft. No contact with RSA player.

Latest posts