• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Quarter Final 3: Ireland vs. Argentina (18/10/2015)

I know he played well for 40 minutes last week but I don't understand all this confidence in Madigan. This is the biggest game in Ireland's history and we have a guy who is a known flake in charge of the show, I was confident knowing Sexton was going to start but now Argentina are favourites now in my opinion.

Madigan is a guy that looks amazing to people who watch rugby every now and then, bandwagoners, etc, but don't really understand the game. I wish him all the best but I'll be watching him through my fingers tomorrow.

Jeez that will need some cover up! Imagine Sexton himself, Schmidt and his management team, probably the whole squad and probably also the Leinster medical team never mind their wider employees!!

If anything were to go wrong, which hope it fervently does not, Sexton. Or his family will have some case and some defendants to go at!! Also, one person opens their gob, inquiry and, in this climate, makes bloodgate into a minor matter!!!

Not really. They won't risk him. Medically he will be free in few days. But under IRB protocols he'd be forced to sit out. It's complex but is all on IRB site. Ye are missing point. The doctors aren't putting him in harms way. It's more he'd be effectively banned from playing when he is fit.

I know he played well for 40 minutes last week but I don't understand all this confidence in Madigan. This is the biggest game in Ireland's history and we have a guy who is a known flake in charge of the show, I was confident knowing Sexton was going to start but now Argentina are favourites now in my opinion.

Madigan is a guy that looks amazing to people who watch rugby every now and then, bandwagoners, etc, but don't really understand the game. I wish him all the best but I'll be watching him through my fingers tomorrow.

It all depends on how he plays. If he gets his tactical kicking and decision making right the rest will be perfect. I just fear his kicking from hand may not go well. I thought he offered more in attack last week than Sexton has in few games as he was much flatter but playing like that means your more at risk. It's just getting the balance right as guys like Sexton got over time. It's the experience.

It all depends on how he plays. If he gets his tactical kicking and decision making right the rest will be perfect. I just fear his kicking from hand may not go well. I thought he offered more in attack last week than Sexton has in few games as he was much flatter but playing like that means your more at risk. It's just getting the balance right as guys like Sexton got over time. It's the experience.

This is why I'm worried, same reason I worry every time Earls has his hands on the ball, they both have a track record of brain farts. I'll concede they both played very well last week though. Especially Earls in defense and at ruck time.

Not really. They won't risk him. Medically he will be free in few days. But under IRB protocols he'd be forced to sit out. It's complex but is all on IRB site. Ye are missing point. The doctors aren't putting him in harms way. It's more he'd be effectively banned from playing when he is fit.

My post was had they played him......sorry got carried away and not made that clear!!

Having said that if he does not follow the full protocols because of what has been said and done and something then happens, the result would be the same?

Last edited:
This is why I'm worried, same reason I worry every time Earls has his hands on the ball, they both have a track record of brain farts. I'll concede they both played very well last week though. Especially Earls in defense and at ruck time.

It's true but been honest anyone could have an off day. It'll be simply a question of can we get enough guys to click.

My post was had they played him......sorry got carried away and not made that clear!!

Having said that if he does not follow the full protocols because of what has been said and done and something then happens, the result would be the same?

To answer top bit. I'm sure they were buying as much time as possible which is understandable. The IRFU have no responsibility to report if he's following them. I'm sure IF it's concussion that they've done all the correct steps. It was more they couldn't say much as Sexton is on a red case. But that's not to say he isn't fine if we get there next week. It was more they were thinking the next 6-12 months.

So much negativity. I'm still believing in this team. Madigan will do well esp with Murray beside him.

So much negativity. I'm still believing in this team. Madigan will do well esp with Murray beside him.

Fully agree. Just to add in. Big responsibility on Murray now though.

As a side note lads. Ian Keatley has just been told to be prepared in case. So I'm presuming Sexton, whatever the injury, may be potentially a few weeks out. And if like to think it'll be left until last minute and rightfully too.

This should be a great game.
Think Ireland has to be the favorites but hoping for the Argies turn it on.
Would be great to see all the rc sides in the semis.

Hi all :)

last minute i know, but still worth asking... anyone want to go see Ireland play Argentina at millennium stadium tomorrow? i have cat A tickets, 2 of them, i bought them a few months ago for me and my husband, i am now in process of divorce so have the tickets unused.

I live in Witham CM8 England, so if anyone is interested to join me or if they wanna buy the tickets let me know. I would love to travel down and watch the game but i don't drive, so if there is someone who wants to drive down with me and get the spare ticket free and enjoy the game let me know! or if you wanna buy both tickets let me know too :)

Ireland for the win! :)

Natalie

sounds like you're describing Jackson. I just don't always trust him, I've seen him choke too many times playing for Ulster. There's no doubt he can play, and he's a decent player, I'm just not sure he's near the same quality as Madigan or Sexton - he seems to be so hit and miss sometimes. His lack of match time really doesn't help cement any trust in him, imo.

Iain Henderson was fantastic last week. It's fair to say he's always fantastic, but he just seems to keep going. And to play the way he does at only 23, in a few years he's going to be an absolute monster.

I do think it'll be a different type of game, having lost Sexton, POM, SOB and POC we've lost the key figures, but we do have experience and talent and players who can (or most of them can) step up and contribute.

Is there a definite, confirmed update on Jared Payne's replacement yet? Is there even a point looking for a replacement until after the Argentina game?
Take it it doesn't look like Trimble will be called up after all.

Sexton makes his own share of errors in most games he plays so we may not lose much by having Madigan there. With Madigan you can expect the unexpected, and that can be good or bad. A bit like Quade Cooper. Ireland have been too safe so the inclusion of a few riskier players like Mdigan and Earls might be no bad thing. It might also be a calamity lol

I think Argentina will take it.

I would love to see Ireland going all the way but i really think all the Southern teams will reach the semis.

Ppl are just talking about Ireland here like Argentina is nothing to worry about but watch out, its a very very good team.

Last edited:
With Madigan you can expect the unexpected, and that can be good or bad. A bit like Quade Cooper.

Christ, no international team should want or need a loose cannon like quade cooper. he's less X factor, and more WTF factor

Getting up at midnight to watch this one. Ireland have got to be the favourites on form alone but the Pumas will bring physicality and an intensity that will need to be matched. I think the Irish will be too structured and disciplinend. Decision making will be key though, when to take the 3 points or kick for the corner etc.
Looking forward to it!!!

Latest posts