• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Quarter Final 3: Ireland vs. Argentina (18/10/2015)

An extract from the lates preview: http://fourballsblog.blogspot.fr/2015/10/ireland-vs-argentina-rzc-2015-quarter.html

"Argentina can win this. No Irish fan should think this is a straightforward match, not by any means. In Los Pumas, Ireland come up against the top point scorers of the pool stages, even though they were in the same group as New Zealand, a team they pushed very hard. Now, Ireland do have a few injury worries that we will go into later, but even a fully fit side would struggle against a side with the form of the Argentinians, who beat South Africa in the Rugby Championship leading into this World Cup.

The trademark, powerful Argentinian scrum still exists, but now there is a worryingly good, expansive game to accompany it, and Imhoff and Sanchez have been vital in this regard, they will need to perform well on Sunday to give the Argentinians a chance. Elsewhere in this Argentinian side, look for Fernandez Lobbe, Tuculet and Cordero to shine and surprise many viewers, with Fernandew Lobbe performing in what could well be his last game for Argentina, I expect a passionate performance as always from the man."

Tipped the Argies to win by 4. Top points scorers for a reason, confidence has grown and they will hope to knock Ireland out like they did in 2007, albeit this time in the quarters as opposed to the pools in France. Still, should be a cracking game, and just a shame that Sexton might not be fully fit and that POC, POM and SOB are missing out.

Are Ireland not allowed to be on form considering in the last two years we have beaten SA, Aus, Eng, Wal, Fra, Arg and ALSO pushed NZ close?

Ireland couldn't have been favourites before the 2007 game! Argentina were the form team and we were Brian O'Driscoll with 14 people who almost knew how to play rugby!!!

Show some respect. That 2006/07 is still the best Ireland starting 15 I've ever seen play. Just because they had a collective meltdown at the World Cup doesn't mean you should diminish their talents.

Anyway, Argentina to be favourties in this one. Can't lose 3 forwards and have a crocked 10 and still expect to be winning. That said, Joe has always managed to make the back row work and I have confidence in the guys who are stepping in to be up to it.

When did they push NZ?

November 2013 in Dublin, we came within seconds of beating you. One of the best and also saddest rugby matches Ive seen.

Are Ireland not allowed to be on form considering in the last two years we have beaten SA, Aus, Eng, Wal, Fra, Arg and ALSO pushed NZ close?

I agree completely. People are saying all this Argentina beating South Africa and pressuring NZ whilst also conveniently forgetting our record of the past 2 years... I can only see an Irish under performance costing us victory. I love Argentina but I think we're better, if we decide to play for the full 80 minutes.

May the best team win!

Last edited:
Of course it was :rolleyes: And when you lost to Oz this year you just "werent in the mood to play", right?

Yes. Protecting players for the RWC.

How will guys like you show your face around here if France give you a good solid whipping tomorrow?

Things could get ugly man. With the amount of pride you guys take in rugby you risk national castration if you ever lose.

Your worst nightmare is upon you. 15 Frenchmen just off the back of a humiliating loss. Time for you to eat some humble pie I think buddy haha

How will guys like you show your face around here if France give you a good solid whipping tomorrow?

Things could get ugly man. With the amount of pride you guys take in rugby you risk national castration if you ever lose.

Your worst nightmare is upon you. 15 Frenchmen just off the back of a humiliating loss. Time for you to eat some humble pie I think buddy haha

If France kick our arses tomorrow, I'm going to want to see them kicked out of the tournament for assaulting players.

The game doesn't start until Sunday :p

But... if France do win I'll change my name to WhiteflagMcFroggy and pretend to have supported the Fries all along.

By all accounts Sexton is still looking quite tentative. TBH I'm worried about fielding a half-fit Sexton - obviously the coaches know what they are doing and Sexton is a key player but it's not the game to be going into worrying that something is going to go every time you kick the ball or get hit. Surely at some level it would be at the back of your mind and may have an impact upon performance.

http://www.the42.ie/jonathan-sexton-ireland-training-team-argentina-2392271-Oct2015/

If France kick our arses tomorrow, I'm going to want to see them kicked out of the tournament for assaulting players.

The game doesn't start until Sunday :p

But... if France do win I'll change my name to WhiteflagMcFroggy and pretend to have supported the Fries all along.

Nah bud The first game tomorrow is South Africa vs Wales on at 4pm London time and the second game is All Blacks vs France on at 8pm London time. Buckle up lad! It's time for the great All Black under performance we all know and love.

By all accounts Sexton is still looking quite tentative. TBH I'm worried about fielding a half-fit Sexton - obviously the coaches know what they are doing and Sexton is a key player but it's not the game to be going into worrying that something is going to go every time you kick the ball or get hit. Surely at some level it would be at the back of your mind and may have an impact upon performance.

http://www.the42.ie/jonathan-sexton-ireland-training-team-argentina-2392271-Oct2015/

I might be negative saying this but I do think this is a cover up for concussion. I know Sexton likes to wear hats but in a heated environment like that when the roof is closed just sort of makes me think there is a concussion issue and my original call (which I said before the Picamoles hit) was correct. If he's not 100% mentally right it could be a real issue. And I mean mentally as if there is any problem that may effect his thinking then how far do you go before the risk is too much a risk?

Nah bud The first game tomorrow is South Africa vs Wales on at 4pm London time and the second game is All Blacks vs France on at 8pm London time. Buckle up lad! It's time for the great All Black under performance we all know and love.

Timezones etc,

But no, I think we all know this is the end of the Fries empire.

I might be negative saying this but I do think this is a cover up for concussion. I know Sexton likes to wear hats but in a heated environment like that when the roof is closed just sort of makes me think there is a concussion issue and my original call (which I said before the Picamoles hit) was correct. If he's not 100% mentally right it could be a real issue. And I mean mentally as if there is any problem that may effect his thinking then how far do you go before the risk is too much a risk?

I was just about to say.... He was crying when he came off, and his groin was not pulled, clear as day. Sexton thought his RWC was over due to a recurrence of a concussion. I think Madigan should start.

- - - Updated - - -

Timezones etc,

But no, I think we all know this is the end of the Fries empire.

There won't be a sheep safe in NZ after tomorrow night French onslaught!!!!