• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 TRC] New Zealand v Argentina in Napier (06/09/2014)

Dull match. Argentina are a waste of space in TRC. Just BPs for other teams.. *yawn*

That's about the only thing that didn't went their way. Even then, we were robbed a try so that kinda compensates the points.
You are missing the point, which is ironic considering you brought it up:

EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING went the ABs way in this match!

I suppose you dont really know what "everything" means. And whether we got robbed or not is irrelevant. We did and we all agree on that.

Argentina robbed of a try. What was the ref thinking?

That was a charge down and a try, Argentina were robbed.

Joe Moody on. Big test for him!

Thought he did good, scrum looked solid when he came on, not bad for a 2nd test effort.

EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING went the ABs way in this match! not only they are the best, they are also the most lucky.

Oh, and loads of bull**** calls against the Pumas BTW...

Lol did you watch the game?

What about Savea tackled without the ball in the 1st couple minutes?

2nd and 4th tries for me were 75% luck, 25% ability.

The 2nd try was bad play by Argentina, you can't not recover quickly and expect to get away with it in the game, they needed to react quicker.

The 4th try was off the back of a scrum in which we held and then scored, how is that luck?

How many (easy) kicks to the post did the AB missed?

Maybe 9-12 points, can't remember

All in all a better wet weather game than the week before, Argentina could feel hard done by with some of those calls in the scrum, but felt they let themselves down when the ball went wide, they were robbed of a try by the ref that may have swung momentum and belief there way, but not enough to win the game, esp when you have 4 tries scored against them.

They will learn to mark Savea better and that cost them tonight, I felt they were a little to ill disciplined and sometimes tried to focus too much on the player and not the ball and the game.

AB's needed a bonus point to get up the board more.

I quite enjoyed that match. The conditions (especially in the 1st half) made running rugby difficult, but I thought both sides played some positive rugby. The ref did make a couple of crucial errors (the Argentina no-try was the biggest one) but the AB's were clearly the better side overall.

I thought Argentina's forwards were pretty impressive. As expected they dominated at scrum time (though the All Blacks did have a few good scrums themselves), and they were good in the mauls and lineout. Argentina's backs however..... The certainly tried to play expansive rugby, but struggled a bit with their execution. The AB's defense was very good, but Argentina were running sideways a lot, making them easy targets.

For the AB's:
- The starting front row was ok overall. We did get hammered in a few scrums, but they did hold their own quite a few times too, and we did get that tighthead just before halftime (though they was perhaps more of an error from Argentina). I thought Moody and Ben Franks did a good job once they came on too (barring the first scrum where Moody was penalized and Argentina picked up 3 points).
- Retallick was a beast (again). I hope Whitelocks injury isn't too serious, but I thought Thrush did an outstanding job filling in (considering he is probably the AB's 6th choice lock). It was probably the best I have ever seen him play!
- Messam played better than in his last match, before going off injured. McCaw and Read were solid (Read's lineout work was a feature), and Cane looked good when he came on.
- Barrett made a couple of errors and his goal-kicking was a disaster, but overall he should be very happy with his first test start at 10.
- Nonu and Smith didn't have much to do on attack (though Conrad Smith's kick for Savea's first try was class), but they both played well on defense.
- Ben Smith was very quiet. Savea was brilliant. He's so much more than just a powerful ball runner these days. I was pleasantly surprised by Israel Dagg. He did make a few errors, but we got to see his booming punt again, and he looked to have real confidence with ball in hand (for the first time in a few years).

To be fair the referee did miss things which benefited Argentina. Savea was clearly tackled without the ball for instance early in the game. I think today we did get the rub of the green (the no try was a shocker) but it wasn't all one way. I don't think the game would have been close had the referee not missed so many things.

I think Argentina's biggest problem was their defence. The Messam try was caused when Sanchez was done inside. The second Savea try happened when Hernandez and Sanchez did not commit to Savea. The Aaron Smith try occurred when Sanchez tried to tackle Read. Sanchez's man was Aaron Smith and the Argentinian halfback had to be responsible for Read.

Rubbish.

Not for Australia they wont be. Arg is going to knock them over atleast once surely.

They said that last year and the year before that as well..

So Arg have played 15 matches in TRC... Winless from all of them. Useless.

That was a charge down and a try, Argentina were robbed.

Thought he did good, scrum looked solid when he came on, not bad for a 2nd test effort.

Lol did you watch the game?

What about Savea tackled without the ball in the 1st couple minutes?

The 2nd try was bad play by Argentina, you can't not recover quickly and expect to get away with it in the game, they needed to react quicker.

The 4th try was off the back of a scrum in which we held and then scored, how is that luck?

Maybe 9-12 points, can't remember

All in all a better wet weather game than the week before, Argentina could feel hard done by with some of those calls in the scrum, but felt they let themselves down when the ball went wide, they were robbed of a try by the ref that may have swung momentum and belief there way, but not enough to win the game, esp when you have 4 tries scored against them.

They will learn to mark Savea better and that cost them tonight, I felt they were a little to ill disciplined and sometimes tried to focus too much on the player and not the ball and the game.

AB's needed a bonus point to get up the board more.

We got the Bonus Point.

I think most people here would like to discuss the game constructively. There have been other threads made about Argentina's participation in the RC.

Try to remember how you got that scrum.

I'm not saying though that we were cheated out of a win or that we were just unlucky. We had many problems (the typical ones we have) and ABs many many virtues, just saying we could have made a closer score.

Try to remember how you got that scrum..

.........you are forgetting the fact that the AB's hooker's head popped out of the scrum all on his own which should have been a penalty to the Pumas instead of the try if you want to continue the argument and be one sided in doing so!!

Reality is that the score reflected the difference and is now in the score books no matter how you feel it could have gone.....

You can take our place for one year if you wish, what could go wrong with that? :rolleyes:

Argentina will come good eventually. It will take time, but they are vastly improving every game.

So by that logic we should kick the blues out of super rugby. If you look in the dictionary under useless theres a picture of them in there!

So by that logic we should kick the blues out of super rugby. If you look in the dictionary under useless theres a picture of them in there!

Wonderful comparison... Blues actually win matches and have won a tournament they have participated in...

Dont know about the argies in TRC.

Latest posts