9. Piri Weepu
10. Benji Marshall
11. Frank Halai
12. Ma'a Nonu
13. Francis Saili
14. Lolagi Visinia
15. Charlie Piutau
that would be mine at the latter end of the season anyway

Nasi Manu and Ben Smith are co-captains for 2014... I wasn't sure that Ben Smith (though we all know he is a brilliant player and farts rainbows, glitter and unicorns and all that) is a captain material, but then I looked at the team sheets and I didn't really see anyone else for the role, tbh. Such a shame they lost MacIntosh. I quite liked him as the captain last year.

Hore was captain last year

Pretty disappointed myself, was hoping for a surprise or two

Manu will get injured and I don't like captains so far out if the action, would have thought thorne was an obvious option

Jersey is rubbish too

Personally I don't think the selection of Adan Hill is a case of "Wellington bias" - I just think he is just a poor selection.....

Yeah but how many "poor selections" get made for players not from Wellington? That's the problem. If in doubt, the Wellington guy gets the nod. It isn't just Hammett, but the board and everyone else who must be looking after Wellington first.

Gibbins has been better than Karl Lowe and Jack Lam for the last 2 seasons and yet can't even get a proper squad place. It's ridiculous.

So we can assume andrew hore is retiring?

Yeah that's a really strange one! I heard him speak the other day and it sounded like he wanted to play Super Rugby (maybe I interpreted wrongly though?) If so, he is way too good a player not to get a contract so I'm a bit surprised... Maybe a team will find a way to pick him up. Chiefs maybe? First team to lose a hooker to injury surely will....

Hore was captain last year

Pretty disappointed myself, was hoping for a surprise or two

Manu will get injured and I don't like captains so far out if the action, would have thought thorne was an obvious option

Jersey is rubbish too

True, I was thinking of earlier seasons (2010 and 2011 I think?).

About Thorn - I think he makes a fantastic captain, and I assume that he wanted it as well, seeing how he kept unofficially taking on the responsibilities whenever Hore went off ;)
But surely his age must catch up to him some day, would he be able to stay on field for the bulk of 80mins for each game next year?

Would have to agree to disagree about the jersey, I think it looks fine.

Yeah that's a really strange one! I heard him speak the other day and it sounded like he wanted to play Super Rugby (maybe I interpreted wrongly though?) If so, he is way too good a player not to get a contract so I'm a bit surprised... Maybe a team will find a way to pick him up. Chiefs maybe? First team to lose a hooker to injury surely will....

So basically hes being forced into retirement eveb though he can still perform?! Why did the highlanders give him the boot anyway?

Just read an article saying ihaia west turned down an Aussie contract to stay in NZ despite not getting even a wider training group spot here.. Stoked he made that decision. I still can't fathom how he hasn't been picked though.. He is better than heaps if the 10s who got chosen.

Number of Super Rugby players by province:

1 CAN (31)
2 WEL (26)
3 AUC (20)
4= OTA (11)
4= TAR (11)
6 CMA (9)
7 BOP (8)
8= TAS (7)
8= NHA (7)
10= WAI (6)
10= HWB (6)
10= MAN (6)
13 SOU (5)
14 NOR (0)

Wow that Waikato one is interesting. Chiefs are Super Rugby champions and only 6 of their players are from Waikato

Number of Super Rugby players by province:

1 CAN (31)
2 WEL (26)
3 AUC (20)
4= OTA (11)
4= TAR (11)
6 CMA (9)
7 BOP (8)
8= TAS (7)
8= NHA (7)
10= WAI (6)
10= HWB (6)
10= MAN (6)
13 SOU (5)
14 NOR (0)

No offense to Otago, but man are they over represented or what.

Wow that Waikato one is interesting. Chiefs are Super Rugby champions and only 6 of their players are from Waikato

Well, actually Jack Lam plays for the Hurricanes, so the Chiefs only have five Waikato players in their squad :p

No offense to Otago, but man are they over represented or what.

Looking at who they have playing at Super Rugby level next year, there aren't many players who stand out as being not up to scratch. That's actually an error too, I've realised, because they have Elliot Dixon and Chris King listed as Otago players when they represents Southland, useless article writer... Coltman, Ioane and Donnelly are all proven forwards in Super Rugby (Ioane to a lesser extent, but he was certainly one of the picks of the Highlanders forward pack come the end of last season). Likewise, in the backs Parker, Popoali'i, Smith and Tanaka are all good players, deserving of contracts. The two new forwards, Evans and Franklin both look very promising. So I don't think they're too overrepresented...

Well, actually Jack Lam plays for the Hurricanes, so the Chiefs only have five Waikato players in their squad :p

Looking at who they have playing at Super Rugby level next year, there aren't many players who stand out as being not up to scratch. That's actually an error too, I've realised, because they have Elliot Dixon and Chris King listed as Otago players when they represents Southland, useless article writer... Coltman, Ioane and Donnelly are all proven forwards in Super Rugby (Ioane to a lesser extent, but he was certainly one of the picks of the Highlanders forward pack come the end of last season). Likewise, in the backs Parker, Popoali'i, Smith and Tanaka are all good players, deserving of contracts. The two new forwards, Evans and Franklin both look very promising. So I don't think they're too overrepresented...

I'd take West over Hayden Parker but to be fair I think they both are deserving of contracts.
Popoali'i is ok, if not a bit overmatched at this level, but I suppose there aren't too many guys you would pick over him so that's fair.
Tanaka is a poor man's Aaron Smith, and I can't help but think someone else should have been given a shot. I'm being biased here but Wharewera from Manawatu had a stellar season, is a former NZ schoolboys captain and is only 21.. someone like being on the bench is probably better than a good but not great import.
The new forwards are pretty interchangable with a fair few others in ITM cup. I guess the lesson is if you are going to play for an average ITM team, Otago is the one you are most likely to get chosen from.

I'd take West over Hayden Parker but to be fair I think they both are deserving of contracts.
Popoali'i is ok, if not a bit overmatched at this level, but I suppose there aren't too many guys you would pick over him so that's fair.
Tanaka is a poor man's Aaron Smith, and I can't help but think someone else should have been given a shot. I'm being biased here but Wharewera from Manawatu had a stellar season, is a former NZ schoolboys captain and is only 21.. someone like being on the bench is probably better than a good but not great import.
The new forwards are pretty interchangable with a fair few others in ITM cup. I guess the lesson is if you are going to play for an average ITM team, Otago is the one you are most likely to get chosen from.

Yeah I agree about Tanaka, actually. He doesn't really offer anything different off the bench, and whilst he might suit another team, he doesn't really fit with the Highlanders due to how similar he is to Smith. Tactically I don't think he's particularly good.

Evans has been arguably the pick of Otago's forwards this season, he's been playing blindside flanker but he does a lot of work that a typical openside would get through. Franklin is probably not dissimilar to many other locks running around, but better to go with a local lad than a guy from somewhere else in the country.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...Zealand-franchises-confirm-Super-Rugby-squads

BLUES

Forwards: Tom McCartney (Auckland), Keven Mealamu (Auckland), James Parsons (North Harbour), Charlie Faumuina (Auckland), Sam Prattley (Auckland), Angus Ta'avao (Auckland), Ofa Tu'ungafasi (Auckland), Tony Woodcock (North Harbour), Tom Donnelly (Otago), Liaki Moli (Auckland), Culum Retallick (Bay of Plenty), Patrick Tuipulotu (Auckland), Kane Barrett (Taranaki), Luke Braid (Auckland), Jerome Kaino (Auckland), Steven Luatua (Auckland), Brendon O'Connor (Canterbury), Peter Saili (Auckland).

Backs: Jamison Gibson-Park (Taranaki), Bryn Hall (North Harbour), Piri Weepu (Auckland), Baden Kerr (Counties Manukau), Chris Noakes (Bay of Plenty), Pita Ahki (North Harbour), Ma'a Nonu (Wellington), Francis Saili (North Harbour), Jackson Willison (Waikato), Frank Halai (Counties Manukau), Benji Marshall (Auckland), George Moala (Auckland), Charles Piutau (Auckland), Lolagi Visinia (Auckland).

Wider training group: Joe Edwards (Auckland), Simon Hickey (Auckland), Tevita Li (North Harbour), Tom Murday (Northland), Albert Nikoro (Auckland).

Look at that squad...MEAN!

Ive got a good feeling about next year for us ;)

I don't know if that is really fair. North Harbour were absolutely dire this season and they only have two less players in Super Rugby than Otago! Bay of Plenty were very poor too, yet they ended up with almost the same number of players as Otago.

I think all the Otago players warrant their spots in Super Rugby. As you say, Popoalii is ok at this level (but I still worry about him defensively against big wings...). I would actually rate Parker higher than West at the moment. Parker had an excellent season for Otago - the only area I think West is superior currently is in his running game (and he does have a big advantage here!). Personally I would have loved it if we had picked up West ahead of Ripia (as West has a lot of potential, and Ripia is rubbish...), but that is another story. I do agree in some ways regarding Tanaka, but I still think he warrants a spot in Super Rugby (Frae Wilson on the other hand...).

Evans was very good for Otago at the start of the season - he is possibly a fringe selection, but he has some pretty unique skills for a blindside flanker, and I can't think of anyone who I would pick ahead of him. I'm not a fan of Ioane, but he was one of the better Highlanders players at the end of last season. Franklin more than deserves a Super Rugby contract - he was easily Otago's best player this season. He does his core jobs very well, and his running and offloading game has really improved this year. It wouldn't surprise me if he was starting for the Highlanders by the middle of next season if not right from the start).

The only Otago player I don't actually think warrants a Super Rugby contract is Tom Donnelly, but there are many hailing him as a great signing for the Blues!

Last edited:
I don't know if that is really fair. North Harbour were absolutely dire this season and they only have two less players in Super Rugby than Otago! Bay of Plenty were very poor too, yet they ended up with almost the same number of players as Otago.

I think all the Otago players warrant their spots in Super Rugby. As you say, Popoalii is ok at this level (but I still worry about him defensively against big wings...). I would actually rate Parker higher than West at the moment. Parker had an excellent season for Otago - the only area I think West is superior currently is in his running game (and he does have a big advantage here!). Personally I would have loved it if we had picked up West ahead of Ripia (as West has a lot of potential, and Ripia is rubbish...), but that is another story. I do agree in some ways regarding Tanaka, but I still think he warrants a spot in Super Rugby (Frae Wilson on the other hand...).

Evans was very good for Otago at the start of the season - he is possibly a fringe selection, but he has some pretty unique skills for a blindside flanker, and I can't think of anyone who I would pick ahead of him. I'm not a fan of Ioane, but he was one of the better Highlanders players at the end of last season. Franklin more than deserves a Super Rugby contract - he was easily Otago's best player this season. He does his core jobs very well, and his running and offloading game has really improved this year. It wouldn't surprise me if he was starting for the Highlanders by the middle of next season if not right from the start).

The only Otago player I don't actually think warrants a Super Rugby contract is Tom Donnelly, but there are many hailing him as a great signing for the Blues!

Remember that three of the Bay of Plenty players selected weren't actually playing for BoP this season (Cane and Retallick with the All Blacks and Noakes out with injury).

Remember that three of the Bay of Plenty players selected weren't actually playing for BoP this season (Cane and Retallick with the All Blacks and Noakes out with injury).

True, but we were missing Ben Smith. He is worth at least 3 mortal players ;-)

I didn't even see Frae Wilson there.. Horrible selection. Classic Jamie Joseph he would have known him from his Wellington days. Tanaka most definitely is a better selection than Wilson.

I didn't even see Frae Wilson there.. Horrible selection. Classic Jamie Joseph he would have known him from his Wellington days. Tanaka most definitely is a better selection than Wilson.

Josephs selection policy is quite simple really. He just picks any available player who has either played for Wellington, NZ Maori, or in Japan. When he finds players who have played for two or more of these sides (Frae Wilson, Jake Paringatai) he knows he is onto a winner!

Latest posts