• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 Super Rugby] New Zealand conference

I still haven't quite forgiven JK for the idiotic decision to drop Anscombe, and I don't think Anscombe has, either. He was clearly the best option for the Blues. He's no match for Carter or Cruden in terms of attack or defence, but he's 22 for crying out loud. Think of where he could have been right now if he had had proper game time at 10 this year.

I think like you

Cheers

...was it actually easier to post that than to just say....if i was happy to just google everything i wouldn't be here trying to have conversations with people

...was it actually easier to post that than to just say....if i was happy to just google everything i wouldn't be here trying to have conversations with people

Maybe - but you'd imagine who ever wanted to answer you would probably have to google it themselves. As it was - it was meant as a joke.

If we pick the following side we will <strike>win</strike> <strike>make the playoffs</strike> <strike>be competitive</strike> not get last:

1. Chris King (unless we can develop Diaz on the LH side).
2. Liam Coltman
3. Ma'afu Fia (Diaz is again the wildcard)
4. Brad Thorn
5. Josh Bekhuis (only experience gets him the nod over Franklin)
6. Gareth Evans (lacks a bit of physicality, but should suit the Highlanders "style")
7. John Hardie
8. Nasi Manu
9. Aaron Smith
10. Hayden Parker (50:50 over whether to start him or Sopoaga. Sopoaga offers more with his running/distribution game, but Parker is far more solid and a much better goal-kicker)
11. Kurt Baker (Popoali'i is the other option, but I feel Baker's massive work-rate will be a big asset when we have Osbourne on the other wing, who can be brilliant but has a poor work-rate).
12. Shaun Treeby (I would like to see Fekitoa developed at 12 though)
13. Jason Emery (Time for him to step up, otherwise Fekitoa should get a crack).
14. Patrick Osbourne
15. God

16. Brayden Mitchell
17. Matiaz Diaz (if he can cover LH adequately, otherwise Kane Hames).
18. Tom Franklin
19. TJ Ioane / Shane Christie
20. Fumiaka Tanaka
21. Lima Sopoaga
22. Buxton Popoali'i / Malakai Fekitoa / Winston Stanley

The front row looks ok (at best) - we need to get a lot out of Diaz. I'm not convinced Hames is a Super Rugby player, but he did look ok for Bay of Plenty this year. There are plenty of options at lock - I'm hoping Hoeata doesn't get much gametime this season (I think it would be best if we kept 15 players on the field). Even when he doesn't get sent off he spends most of the match attempting to intimidate the opposition rather than playing rugby.

I'm hoping to see Evans good a good crack in the 6 jersey this season, as I feel he will suit the Highlanders expansive style (he has many of the same skills as Adam Thomson). I could handle seeing Ioane in the 6 jersey (though he is probably more valuable on the bench), though I'm still not convinced having him doing 20 hit-ups a game in the midfield is necessarily a good tactic (at least it stops us going side to side ad naseum I guess). I will be incredibly ****** off if Joseph continues to play a lock (Hoeata/Wheeler) at 6 again this season. If you have a forward oriented game plan having a tighter option at 6 can be a fine tactic, but if your "game-plan" involves passing the ball from touchline to touchline as quickly as possible it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that playing a lock at 6 is a pretty stupid idea. We actually have good back-up for Hardie this season in the form of Shane Christie, and Elliot Dixon is a solid back-up for Manu at 8 - hopefully it will mean we are able to rest our top loose forwards at times this season.

I have discussed the 10 options previously - Tony Brown just needs to pick the 10 that best suits the Highlanders game plan and stick with him. Hopefully that 10 doesn't happen to be Willie Ripia as he is a rubbish signing.

Midfield is pretty open. I would like to see Fekitoa and Emery given as much game-time as possible (perhaps even partnered together) as they are most talented midfielders in the squad. Treeby runs straight and hard but is very limited, Burleigh has a good passing/kicking game but offers little individually with a ball in hand and is a weak link on defense, while Winston Stanely have never really lived up to his initially promise. He is big and strong but seems to have issues with his handling at times and I'm not convinced about his distribution game. I have no idea how the Highlanders selectors think we are going to get through a season with only 4 outside backs, but there is not much we can do about it now. I'm hoping Kurt Baker gets a better deal than he did last time he was with the Highlanders....

pretty much agree on all points.

One thought, how would you feel about baker at 15, buxton on the wing and the second coming at center, give the man a real shot at playing where the AB's see him, full back is definitely still his best position but is that just because he hasn't had enough time at center and do we risk him being a jack of all trades etc

I have never been a fan of the smith at center idea....but there is something to be said for adding some firepower to what has been our Achilles heal for quite a while now (midfield).....

also might be a better position for the captain

pretty much agree on all points.

One thought, how would you feel about baker at 15, buxton on the wing and the second coming at center, give the man a real shot at playing where the AB's see him, full back is definitely still his best position but is that just because he hasn't had enough time at center and do we risk him being a jack of all trades etc

I have never been a fan of the smith at center idea....but there is something to be said for adding some firepower to what has been our Achilles heal for quite a while now (midfield).....

also might be a better position for the captain

While I'm sure the ABs coaches would love to see him get a bit of time at 13, I would be very surprised if he starts any games at centre next year. There are two main reasons for this (A) Smith is far too valuable to us at 15 and (B) the make-up of the squad. For some unknown reason we have 5 midfielders and only 4 outside backs in the squad - that indicates to me that Smith is viewed solely as an outside back (otherwise they would have picked a few less midfielders!). I agree that midfield is a problem area for us. We have plenty of options - I just hope we pick a combo that suits our game plan and stick with them for a while (rather than changing every week).

The Highlanders have lost the plot IMO. The way they treated Whopper was a joke. Player recruitment has been a joke. The Tony Brown stunt was a joke. Cant manage a decent big name signing so they pretend they have, only for it to be another coach...wtf? (no offence to Brown, hes a legend but geez that must've been awkward). No games for Invercargill where some of the most passionate Highlanders supporters are based.

How did Joseph keep his job after last season? How did Roger Clark become CEO of the Highlanders after the leaving Rugby Southland in such a financial mess? Hard to watch a team you support go through all this and I've got to say we are going to be in big trouble next season if we get a couple of injuries to key players.

Keep Smith at 15. Bakker and Osbourn on the wings. Still undecided on the midfield. Sopoaga at 10 and smith at 9. Manu, Hardie and maybe Elliot Dixon in the loose (he went well towards the end of this S15 playing 6 and 7). Thorn, Behkuis, Diaz, Coltman and King as the tight forwards. Going to be an interesting season!

[2014 Super Rugby] Hurricanes

[h=3]The Hurricanes squad for 2014:

FORWARDS
Mark Abbott (Hawke’s Bay)
James Broadhurst (Taranaki)
Dane Coles (Wellington)
Ash Dixon (Hawke’s Bay)
Ben Franks (Hawke’s Bay)
Reggie Goodes (Wellington)
Jack Lam (Waikato)
Faifili Levave (Wellington)
Motu Matu’u (Wellington)
Mark Reddish (Wellington)
Ardie Savea (Wellington)
John Schwalger (Wellington)
Brad Shields (Wellington)
Eric Sione (Wellington)
Blade Thomson (Taranaki)
Jeremy Thrush (Wellington)
Jeffery Toomaga-Allen (Wellington)
Victor Vito (Wellington)

BACKS
Beauden Barrett (Taranaki)
Marty Banks (Tasman)
Tim Bateman (Wellington)
Cory Jane (Wellington)
Alapati Leiua (Wellington)
James Marshall (Taranaki)
Hadleigh Parkes (Auckland)
TJ Perenara (Wellington)
Matt Proctor (Wellington)
Julian Savea (Wellington)
Conrad Smith (Wellington)
Chris Smylie (Taranaki)
Andre Taylor (Taranaki)
Cardiff Vaega (Southland)

WIDER TRAINING SQUAD
Chris Eves (Manawatu)
Callum Gibbins (Manawatu)
Adam Hill (Wellington)
Billy Guyton (Tasman)
Nehe Milner-Skudder (Manawatu)
[/h]

So, I would assume a starting XV of

1 Ben Franks
2 Mahroni Schwalger
3 Jeffery Toomaga-Allen
4 Jimmy Broadhurst
5 Jeremy Thrush
6 Brad Shields
7 Jac Lam / Ardie Savea
8 Victor Vito
9 TJ Perenara
10 Beauden Barrett
11 Julian Savea
12 Tim Bateman
13 Conrad Smith
14 Alipati Leiua
15 Cory Jane

or thereabouts? Quite a line-up if you ask me.

1 Ben Franks
2 Mahroni Schwalger
3 Jeffery Toomaga-Allen
4 Jimmy Broadhurst
5 Jeremy Thrush
6 Brad Shields
7 Jac Lam / Ardie Savea
8 Victor Vito
9 TJ Perenara
10 Beauden Barrett
11 Julian Savea
12 Tim Bateman
13 Conrad Smith
14 Alipati Leiua
15 Cory Jane

Wrong Schwalger. John Schwalger is a LH prop. Other than that its pretty much my lineup.

1. Ben Franks/John Schwalger - Ben Franks is likely to start although I rate John Schwalger - who I think has looked good since his return. We're at least pretty well backed up at LH (as I rate Reggie Goodes as a uniquely talented prop as well).
2. Dane Coles - Pretty much guarenteed to start considering how good he's looked at hooker for the All Blacks. Motu Matu'u is again a very handy player to bring off the bench.
3. Jeffery Toomaga-Allen - Excited about him. Worried they'll try and play him at LH as that's when Hansen seems to want him - which is fine except we have no other talented scrummaging TH (and I include Ben Franks in that list)
4. Jeremy Thrush - Again pretty much guarenteed. Was arguably the Canes best forward last year.
5. James Broadhurst - his only competition is Mark Reddish who probably looked better last season (although I think Broadhurst has more potential, was just in poorer form).
6. Brad Shields - Like a lot of looseforwards this is probably the season he needs to crack the All Blacks if he wants to make it to the RWC. He's a good carrier but his defense was pretty questionable last season.
7. Ardie Savea - I don't know how much he will start still being very young, but extremely promising based off his ITM Cup form. Jack Lam tackles like a maniac, so we have good cover if indeed he doesn't start. Chances are Lam will start at the beginning of the reason.
8. Victor Vito - Was my player of the ITM Cup last season. He should really be pushing for another shot at the ABs, although may be passed over.
9. TJ Peranara - Had a reasonable game against Fiji for the Barbarians. I rate him as the AB's best HB prospect.
10. Beuden Barrett - His stocks can't raise too much higher atm. Good thing too because Marty Banks is a very highly rated backup after the last ITM Cup.
11. Julian Savea - See Barrett.
12. Tim Bateman - Played well for the Maori and I still see him as our best inside centre by a mile. Hadleigh Parkesdid well captaining Auckland, but I'd still go with Batemen.
13. Conrad Smith - Will have returned from his sabbatical and hopefully get up to speed quickly.
14. Cory Jane - Personally I'd rather see Jane play on the wing than at FB, but really only because I think he could help Andre Taylor get back his form.
15. Andre Taylor - Here's hoping he gets back to 2012 form, otherwise I see Proctor or Leiua play on wing, with Proctor potentially playing fullback (or even potentially Party Banks).

I'm a bit happier with this teams depth in some important positions - although not entirely convinced we've got good cover in the centres. I hope this season is better than the last one - as we really showed so much more promise in 2012. Thankfully we haven't lost anyone important. If we don't achieve well this season we may see some real pressure put on Mark Hammitt. I felt we took a big step back and it seems many Canes' fans aren't crazy about the guy.

Last edited:
I like the look that line up nick and agree that Taylor and Jane should start, huge attacking potential in that back line really hope they click like they did in 2012.

Welcome Hemi, good to have another southerner around here

looking on the bright side for a moment...it is one of our more evenly balanced squads for a while, our first choice players may not all be world beaters but its also not a huge step down to the next rung.

one of the key points will be actually playing Baker, he's got skill and was mistreated in the past and can take some of the line breaking weight off Smith

1 Ben Franks
2 Mahroni Schwalger
3 Jeffery Toomaga-Allen
4 Jimmy Broadhurst
5 Jeremy Thrush
6 Brad Shields
7 Jac Lam / Ardie Savea
8 Victor Vito
9 TJ Perenara
10 Beauden Barrett
11 Julian Savea
12 Tim Bateman
13 Conrad Smith
14 Alipati Leiua
15 Cory Jane

Indeed a good squad. if they don't deliver this season mark hammer should be relive of his duties.

I don't have a problem with JK, I remember the hideousness of David Nucifora and Pat Lam all too clearly.
The improvements made byJK were enjoyed by Blues fans all around the world.
Muppets who want to get on JK's back because he made an error with Anscombe have got very short memories of the previous seasons since Henry's departure from the Blues.
In the season just gone the Blues were competitive in a way that they haven't been for a looooong time.
JK has seen he made an error with Anscombe, it could have been handled better and he knows it. For Anscombe's part if he's having a better time at the Chiefs then good luck to the kid he deserves it. He may well find an invitation back to Eden park in time to come and then he will be spoiled for choice.
Under Nucifora and Lam the Auckland Blues have suffered a constant stream of talent going to Waikato and other franchises. The issue with Anscombe is the only error JK has made with his playing staff in his first season, I'm prepared to cut him some slack particularly as he seems keen to make amends if the opportunity allows.

Sad News is Hika Elliot has a chronic Neck/spine injury and will be out for an extended period after surgery, potentially the entire 2014 chiefs season.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...considers-retirement-after-devastating-injury

Shame for Hika, hope he recovers and makes a comeback, at only 27 he still has a lot of time to take a year to recover make a comeback.

For the chiefs it means they need to find a 3rd hooker and it also means we are going to see a lot of Rhys Marshall.

More pressure on Mo as well, in the last year or so Ive seen more of him on crutches or in the stands than on the field. And hes now 35 years old.

With that in mind I recon the chiefs will be looking for someone who is more than a 3rd stringer

Sad News is Hika Elliot has a chronic Neck/spine injury and will be out for an extended period after surgery, potentially the entire 2014 chiefs season.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...considers-retirement-after-devastating-injury

Shame for Hika, hope he recovers and makes a comeback, at only 27 he still has a lot of time to take a year to recover make a comeback.

For the chiefs it means they need to find a 3rd hooker and it also means we are going to see a lot of Rhys Marshall.

More pressure on Mo as well, in the last year or so Ive seen more of him on crutches or in the stands than on the field. And hes now 35 years old.

With that in mind I recon the chiefs will be looking for someone who is more than a 3rd stringer

Disappointing new for Elliot (and the Chiefs). I have no idea what the story is with Quentin McDonald, but you would have to think he would be a pretty good option if the Chiefs want to add another a hooker! He is more than capable of starting at Super Rugby level, and I have no idea why he wasn't included in a Super Rugby squad in the first place (unless he is injured/signed overseas?). If he is unavailable for some reason they could always grab Ged Robinson from the Highlanders WTG, as he is another more than capable of starting at this level.

yeah, Quentin McDonald is a guy who deserved a lot more gametime at super level than he has had so far. behind Flynn for so long, heck Flynn got injured one game Quentin came out and had basically a man of the match performance and then flynn was back the next week and hardly saw Q again - I saw that as a performance that demanded he start sharing the hooker role with Flynn and even get starts but it never happened.

and then went to the blues with the prospect of more gametime with Mealamu starting the super season late but was mostly stuck warming the bench while Parsons impressed.

and wow I never saw that but it seems he does not have a Super contract, yet he did tour with the Maori All Blacks. One can only assume he has headed to Japan or Europe? Ive not seen anything.

ok it seems he was just dropped. The mid is blown. For him not to get a contract anywhere with Hore Retired and mealamu & Mo on their last legs is pretty crazy. I mean how awesome was he for the makos?

is this going to turn out to be another chiefs signing from nowhere turn to gold story???!

Last edited:
If they don't opt for Macdonald or Robinson, I hope they snap up Nathan Harris... He's on the All Blacks radar and certainly has a lot of potential. The most important things is that Schwalger stays fit. At least this means Marshall will get lots of game time.

Latest posts