• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 Super Rugby] New Zealand conference

If they don't opt for Macdonald or Robinson, I hope they snap up Nathan Harris... He's on the All Blacks radar and certainly has a lot of potential. The most important things is that Schwalger stays fit. At least this means Marshall will get lots of game time.

Harris was the other hooker I thought of, and I agree he could be good option. However given they already have one very inexperienced hooker they may be better off going for a more experienced option. Harris certainly has some talent - he is a powerful ball runner, and was actually rated above Rhys Marshall at U20 level.

Very sad news indeed. Luckily we have plenty of depth to cover the position.

Nathan Harris is currently training with the squad. This doesn't necessarily mean Elliot is out, nor that Harris is the next in line to come into the squad should Elliot be unavailable.

What do you Chiefs supporters think of the fixture vs Toulon? WOuld the Chiefs consider it anything more than an 'exotic' warm-up?

What do you Chiefs supporters think of the fixture vs Toulon? WOuld the Chiefs consider it anything more than an 'exotic' warm-up?

It's a money spinning exercise - comes at a good time too, with the franchises having just been privatised. I think it will be awesome to watch, but of course it will be right at the start of the season for the Chiefs and they won't want to risk any injuries against an aggressive match hardened French(ish) pack.

Big blow for the Blues, with Culum Retallick ruled out for 6 month with a knee injury. He really impressed for the Blues last season, and was set to be their number 1 lock with Williams and Boric gone. Tom Donnelly will now have a lot of responsibility placed on his shoulders now. If they need to replace Retallick I would think Ronald Raaymakers would be a good choice. He is certainly undersized, but he has a phenomenal work-rate, and was inspirational at times for Counties this year. I see Tom Murday is in the WTG (not sure why), so he is probably next in line should they require another lock.....

Last edited:
I was worried when I saw "Retallick injured for 6 months". Have to say I'm less worried now, but still a massive blow for the Blues and Retallick. There really aren't many good locks going around NZ at the moment, certainly none that are unsigned. Raaymakers as you mention is just on 6'4'' which is very short for a Super Rugby lock. More than that the Counties set-piece, particularly at scrum was arguably their biggest weakness - so for his workrate I feel the Blues would be giving up a lot.

Personally I hope the Blues go for broke and just start Patrick Tuipulotu over Liaki Moli, who has more experience but seems to be getting worse each season.

I was worried when I saw "Retallick injured for 6 months". Have to say I'm less worried now, but still a massive blow for the Blues and Retallick. There really aren't many good locks going around NZ at the moment, certainly none that are unsigned. Raaymakers as you mention is just on 6'4'' which is very short for a Super Rugby lock. More than that the Counties set-piece, particularly at scrum was arguably their biggest weakness - so for his workrate I feel the Blues would be giving up a lot.

Personally I hope the Blues go for broke and just start Patrick Tuipulotu over Liaki Moli, who has more experience but seems to be getting worse each season.

I'm not sure Counties weak scrum can be blamed on Raaymakers lack of height ;) I would have thought the average props (Firth, Talaese, Aiono etc) and the fact the other lock (Tupou) is much better suited to 6/8 than lock were far bigger issues. Even if Raaymakers had the scrummaging prowess of Brad Thorn I still think Counties scrum would be going backwards! To be honest I have no idea of how good Raaymakers is in the scrum - if he is weak in this area it would certainly be a good reason to omit him. Though Raaymakers is short (though only 1cm shorter than Moli..) he is ok at the front of the lineout, and with Kaino and Luatua (both excellent lineout options) likely to be in the Blues loose-forwards I don't his lack of height would be a major issue. This is probably not that relevant anyways, and it seems that Tom Murday is next in line in terms of Blues locks, and the likes of Luatua and Barrett could well be seen as locking options.

In terms of Moli, in general I agree with you that he has been disappointing. He was phenomenal at U20 level, but in general has been very disappointing ever since. He did however actually start to play some good rugby for Auckland during the last ITM Cup season - hopefully (for the Blues sake) he can keep this up. Tuipulotu has a massive amount of potential (and plenty of size!), but he is still very raw. I'm just hope he delivers on his potential (unlike Moli!).

I honestly don't see Benji Marshall as fullback. I see him as an outside centre or right wing. He hasn't got the skills like Folau or Dagg to play at fullback.

With Kaino back I see Luatua being used more in number 8 as back up to Saili or in the locks. I'm very excited to watch the Blues this year. Kaino and Marshall are the biggest draw cards for me... Phenomenal. I also think Nonu would do well now that he's played in the All Blacks with a lot of the back line.

Last edited:
I'd play Luatua at 6 and Kaino at 8 instead, the back row is class, and so is the front row. It's the second where they could struggle. An option is playing Luatua in there but he's much better at 6

I honestly don't see Benji Marshall as fullback. I see him as an outside centre or right wing. He hasn't got the skills like Folau or Dagg to play at fullback.

It will be very interesting to see how Marshall's transition to Rugby Union goes - personally I don't have overly high hopes for him, but I will be happy to be proven wrong! Kirwan has already stated he is looking to use Marshall mainly at fullback at the start of the season, as it is arguably an easy role to learn than 10. I suspect he may come off the bench and play fullback early in the season, with Piutau shifting to wing/centre (Kirwan seems quite keen to see Piutau at centre). With his skill-set I think 10 is obviously where he should be playing in the future - it may just take some time for him to learn the role. I assume when you state he "hasn't got the skills of Folau or Dagg" you are referring to high-ball skills? I don't disagree, however there are few sides in Super Rugby that regularly use the high ball as an attacking weapon, so I don't think this would be a major issue for him. I think a bigger issue for him will be his positional awareness at the back, as teams will strong tactical kickers could expose his naivety in this area.

Personally I can't see him being overly effective on the wing or at centre. One of his biggest strengths is his ability to create gaps for others - this would be wasted on the wing. I don't think he has the pace to play on the wing either. His creativity could possibly be used at centre, but his lack of defense skills would be a real liability here. He is known as a bit of a weak defender in league, and 13 is the hardest position on the field to defend - it would be a recipe for disaster.....

With Kaino back I see Luatua being used more in number 8 as back up to Saili or in the locks. I'm very excited to watch the Blues this year. Kaino and Marshall are the biggest draw cards for me... Phenomenal. I also think Nonu would do well now that he's played in the All Blacks with a lot of the back line.

Unless they are injured (or rested) I expect to see Kaino and Luatua start every game for the Blues in the 6 and 8 jersey. Saili is an ok Super Rugby player, but I think he will struggle to make the Blues bench if everyone is fit. I think the most likely combination will be Luatua at 6 and Kaino at 8 (as IRISH RUGBY MAN suggested). There is the option of Luatua at 8 and Kaino at 6, but personally I think Kaino is the better suited of the two at 8 (and has far more experience there). Luatua can cover lock, but I would be disappointed if they ended up playing him there, as though I'm sure he would do a good job he is far more effective as a loose-forward.

Personally I expect to see a Blues side that looks something like this at the start of the season:

1. Woodcock
2. Mealamu
3. Faumuina
4. Donnelly
5. Moli
6. Luatua
7. Braid
8. Kaino
9. Weepu
10. Kerr/Noakes
11. Moala
12. Nonu
13. Saili
14. Halai
15. Piutau

16. Parsons
17. Ta'avao
18. Barrett
19. O'Connor
20. Gibson-Park
21. Willison
22. Marshall

The biggest weakness in that side is the locks. Moli has never stepped up to Super Rugby level, and Tuipolotu could put a lot of pressure on him (if he gets a chance) if he doesn't show some big improvements from previous seasons. The Blues may even be tempted to start Kane Barrett (or Luatua) at lock, and it wouldn't surprise me if they had Barrett covering lock (and 6) from the bench. First-five is an interesting situation - Noakes did a good enough job last season (barring his poor defense), but Kerr looks to be potentially the better option at this level. Personally I would pick Kerr and stick with him, but they may well persist with Noakes (in which case Kerr could well be a bench option instead of Willison/Marshall). The back-up halfback will be an interesting choice. Gibson-Park and Hall are both talented young halfbacks with very contrasting styles. Hall has far more control to his game and has an excellent kicking game, but Gibson-Park may get the nod as his running game can be very effective against tiring defenses (and he offers a contrast to Weepu).

I think it's going to be a great season for the Blues and their teams looking really good.
Only Problem is the Locks and Fly Half. For me Tuipolotu has to start over Moli, he looked good in ITM and has massive talent.
The Blues really could of done with signing Ihiah West in my opinion. He would of fitted really well into this team, and no one else is keen on signing him. I rate West above both Kerr and Noakes. But in saying that I think Kerr will start the season with maybe Benji filling in. Or Benji goes to full back and Piutau moves to the wing,

i think the blues XV for 2014 is

1. Woodcock
2. Mealamu
3. Faumuina
4. Donnelly
5. Moli
6. Kaino
7. Braid
8. Luatua
9. Weepu
10. Noakes
11. Piutau
12. Nonu
13. Willison
14. Halai
15. Marshall

... Benji has all the skills ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
The Chiefs side looks very balanced and I see no reason why they can't make another final.
Great squad indeed.

Blues side (as always) has a lot of match winners on paper + Benji and Nonu this year.
Still feel they lack depth and playing Luatua at lock might be needed later on.
Top six possibility yes.

I am quoting ABs2011 here cause sadly I agree.

"I do think they will be dead last in the NZ conference though! That squad on paper doesn't look like it will be able to compete consistently unfortunately."

Good side, actually a dam good side.
Not sure they can top the Chiefs and Crusaders but will be there or there about comes the playoffs.
Jane & Taylor on form can rip any side apart.

Well at least the tight 5 looks like it might hold itself up this year.

I'm always nervous showing my Hurricanes colours because something always seems to not click (even though we look ****ing awesome going forwards). Still, expect the unexpected...

Latest posts