• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 Super Rugby] New Zealand conference

steblin

Academy Player
Club or Nation
Blues
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/super-rugby/9308096/Ma-a-Nonu-signs-deal-with-the-Blues

Apparently Hansen let slip in an interview. For now I'm excited, we'll see how I feel half way through the season. Think it will be a big plus for Saili to have Nonu in the team.

131029080220901607.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good signing for the Blues! Makes them all the more a playoff team for 2014 IMHO. The fact that JK has taken him back suggests to me there have been some pretty positive conversations between JK Nonu Henry etc and that Nonu will be ready and firing to go come the start of the season. Hoping so for Blues fans anyway, and NZ rugby in general!

So, all things going well, does this mean Saili will convert to 13 fulltime??

I would think so, he's been playing 13 more than 12 for Harbour, possibly with Rangers departure its a change that gives him the best opportunity for the Blues and the AB's, especially the ability to play both 12 and 13. And if he could strike up a good partnership with the incumbent AB's 12 ... isn't going to hurt his chances. I can see a Blues backline next year of:
9 - Weepu
10 - Kerr / Noakes (weak link!)
11 - Piutau
12 - Nonu
13 - Saili
14 - Halai
15 - Marshall

That'll keep me happy!

9 - Weepu
10 - Kerr / Noakes (weak link!)
11 - Piutau
12 - Nonu
13 - Saili
14 - Halai
15 - Marshall

Good backline. Do you have a halfback thinner and faster than Weepu?

:D:D:D

Nonu has won ~5 games of super rugby in the last 3 years. I really struggle to see that turning around too much. Its not just a stat though he has generally had a bad influence on the teams he has been in.

Its not his ability its his whole approach to super rugby. he needs to change the way he trains, prepares and interacts with team mates and coaches.

on side note I really hope Kerr can step up a bit next year. We can see how good he is in ITM cup, great boot and great skills. He was just prone to the odd bad decision and some unforced errors.

Without a doubt the one weak link is 10, heck if Anscombe was there it would be a sure bet for the playoffs. JK fair screwed that one up, there was obviously more to that story. Now its just a shame the best 10 the region has produced since basically going way back to grant fox (considering Carlos was from the wellington region? I guess I could say Luke McAlister...) isn't even playing for the blues.

Nonu has won ~5 games of super rugby in the last 3 years. I really struggle to see that turning around too much. Its not just a stat though he has generally had a bad influence on the teams he has been in.

Its not his ability its his whole approach to super rugby. he needs to change the way he trains, prepares and interacts with team mates and coaches.

on side note I really hope Kerr can step up a bit next year. We can see how good he is in ITM cup, great boot and great skills. He was just prone to the odd bad decision and some unforced errors.

Without a doubt the one weak link is 10, heck if Anscombe was there it would be a sure bet for the playoffs. JK fair screwed that one up, there was obviously more to that story. Now its just a shame the best 10 the region has produced since basically going way back to grant fox (considering Carlos was from the wellington region? I guess I could say Luke McAlister...) isn't even playing for the blues.

Nick Evans is from the region too.

Carlos was from Levin, so in the Horowhenua-Kapiti region. He played in a pre-season shield challenge for Horo-Kapiti against Auckland when he was still at school at Waiopehu College, and obviously stood out enough that Auckland snapped him up after that.

Really good news to have Ma'a back. I think its fantastic. Put him in at centre.

*Note to self...don't place any bets on the Blues*

;)

Kidding aside, I do hope that he's finally found the right SR fit. Despite some nasty tactics and his flashy boots, I've really always liked the guy, and have been disappointed to see the teams he plays on doing so poorly the last couple years. Maybe this time will be the 'charm'.

das

Care to place a wager on that?? Not real money if you like but I say Blues go a couple wins better than last year at least! We on??

haha mate get over it. Stop with the Nonu hate, slowly take your tongue out of his ass before you get sick. Youre talking as if Nonu is a one man team. Just stop dude, and how can you talk about his approach to training, etc when you know nothing about him.

Good backline. Do you have a halfback thinner and faster than Weepu?

:D:D:D

You been watching ITM cup? Bryn Hall has impressed me... I hope the Blues use him a bit this year (he is still contracted right??).

[2014 Super Rugby] Highlanders

thought i would start this up as think i've missed a few signings etc, stole this from wiki

Highlanders[edit]

[TABLE="class: wikitable, width: 1289"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD="align: center"]Highlanders transfers 2013–14[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH="bgcolor: #EFEFEF, align: center"]Pos[/TH]
[TH="bgcolor: #EFEFEF, align: center"]2013 squad[/TH]
[TH="bgcolor: #EFEFEF, align: center"]Out[/TH]
[TH="bgcolor: #EFEFEF, align: center"]In[/TH]
[TH="bgcolor: #EFEFEF, align: center"]Confirmed 2014 players[/TH]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]PR[/TD]
[TD]Ma'afu Fia
Chris King
Jamie Mackintosh
Bronson Murray <small>(wider training group)</small>
Tony Woodcock[/TD]
[TD]
10px-Sub_off.svg.png
Jamie Mackintosh <small>(to Chiefs)</small>[139]
10px-Sub_off.svg.png
Tony Woodcock <small>(to Blues)</small>[124][/TD]
[TD]
10px-Sub_on.svg.png
Matías Díaz <small>(from Teqüe)</small>[181][/TD]
[TD]Ma'afu Fia[181]
Chris King[181]
Matías Díaz[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]HK[/TD]
[TD]Liam Coltman
Andrew Hore
Brayden Mitchell
Jason Rutledge <small>(short-term)</small>[/TD]
[TD]
10px-Sub_off.svg.png
Andrew Hore <small>(released)</small>[182][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]Liam Coltman[183]
Brayden Mitchell[182][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]LK[/TD]
[TD]Josh Bekhuis
Jarrad Hoeata
Brad Thorn
Joe Wheeler[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]
10px-Sub_on.svg.png
Tom Franklin <small>(from Otago)</small>[184][/TD]
[TD]Josh Bekhuis[185]
Jarrad Hoeata
Tom Franklin
Brad Thorn[167]
Joe Wheeler[183][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]FL[/TD]
[TD]Tim Boys
John Hardie
TJ Ioane <small>(short-term)</small>
Jake Paringatai
Mose Tuiali'i <small>(short-term)</small>[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]
10px-Sub_on.svg.png
Shane Christie <small>(from Crusaders)</small>[167]
10px-Sub_on.svg.png
Gareth Evans <small>(from Otago)</small>[184][/TD]
[TD]Shane Christie
Gareth Evans
TJ Ioane[167][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]N8[/TD]
[TD]Elliot Dixon
Nasi Manu[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]SH[/TD]
[TD]Aaron Smith
Fumiaki Tanaka
Frae Wilson <small>(wider training group)</small>[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]Fumiaki Tanaka[184][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]FH[/TD]
[TD]Hayden Parker
Colin Slade
Lima Sopoaga[/TD]
[TD]
10px-Sub_off.svg.png
Colin Slade <small>(to Crusaders)</small>[186][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]Hayden Parker[167]
Lima Sopoaga[187][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]CE[/TD]
[TD]Phil Burleigh
Tamati Ellison
Jason Emery
Ma'a Nonu
Shaun Treeby[/TD]
[TD]
10px-Sub_off.svg.png
Tamati Ellison <small>(to Rebels)</small>[74]
10px-Sub_off.svg.png
Ma'a Nonu <small>(to Blues)</small>[136][/TD]
[TD]
10px-Sub_on.svg.png
Winston Stanley <small>(from Force)</small>[41][/TD]
[TD]Phil Burleigh[188]
Jason Emery[188]
Winston Stanley
Shaun Treeby[188][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]WG[/TD]
[TD]Tony Ensor <small>(wider training group)</small>
Hosea Gear
Maritino Nemani <small>(short-term)</small>
Declan O'Donnell <small>(did not play)</small>
Kade Poki
Buxton Popoali'i
Trent Renata <small>(short-term)</small>[/TD]
[TD]
10px-Sub_off.svg.png
Hosea Gear <small>(to Toulouse)</small>[189]
10px-Sub_off.svg.png
Kade Poki <small>(to Kubota Spears)</small>[190][/TD]
[TD]
10px-Sub_on.svg.png
Patrick Osborne <small>(from Chiefs)</small>[159][/TD]
[TD]Patrick Osborne[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]FB[/TD]
[TD]Ben Smith[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]
10px-Sub_on.svg.png
Kurt Baker <small>(from Taranaki)</small>[191][/TD]
[TD]Kurt Baker
Ben Smith[167][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]Coach[/TD]
[TD]Jamie Joseph[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]Jamie Joseph[192]

[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

I didn't know we had signed Stanley or got Baker back or Shane christie

happy enough with baker and Stanley, never thought Baker was give a fair chance. dont know anything about christie though, worried they haven't got got A Smith down....pretty sure he is signed on

SO...just looking at that we need...props, loosies (please get Hardie and Mose back, would also be happy with any of blake, allen - Otago or Boys from southland), confirm A Smith, we need another first five (bit gutted Ihaia West from Hawkes bay is gone) and probably a couple of wings. i would have though Buxton would be back, that Trent Renata is pretty good too

Last edited:
Has Ihaia West signed for the Rebels? That's the stuff I'm reading. They're quickly becoming NZ's 6th Super team.. I just hope he doesn't have an Australian grandmother or something. Surely someone could have signed him. I mean Marty Banks is ok, but West is surely the better prospect. This is why I hate the Hurricanes, they just ignore players from within their traditional region that don't play for Wellington.

As far as the highlanders go, when does Joseph's contract run out? That date can't some soon enough for the franchise's sake.

he has one more year, i think is is a good coach...just needs the right people around him...foil him a little

i thought i had heard West had signed with the rebels too but couldn't find anything when i just searched for it...

still a bit gutted we couldn't keep Ellision but were allowed to sign this argie prop

Wow, I hate to say it but the Highlanders team looks pretty dreadful (Sorry Highlanders fans). No doubt for me they will be bottom of the NZ teams again. There is only so much A & B Smith will be able to do!! The bulk of the team looks to me to be the Otago ITM cup side which was average at best relative to the other ITM cup sides this year..

I hope I am wrong though!!

Christie is a very good signing though, I rate him highly.

There are rumors that UAR (The Pumas) is interested in hiring of Jamie Joseph like a new head coach after the resignation of Phelan. Do you know about this? Do you believe that Jamie Joseph could accept the proposal of Argentina?

There are rumors that UAR (The Pumas) is interested in hiring of Jamie Joseph like a new head coach after the resignation of Phelan. Do you know about this? Do you believe that Jamie Joseph could accept the proposal of Argentina?

Makes the signing of the Argy prop interesting ;)

Just look at those names going out! I know most of them didn't pan out last year and are getting on in years, but damn!

Latest posts