[2014 Super Rugby] New Zealand conference

Discussion in 'Super Rugby' started by steblin, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Darwin

Darwin AKA Dingo_Darwin

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Highlanders

I'm glad see McNicholl back too. I'm a massive fan of his, and I think he has All Black potential. Sounds like Kerr is out, so it is Marshall vs Noakes (who is only just back from injury) for the Blues 10 jersey. As a Highlanders supporter I'm more than happy for Marshall to be at 10 for the Blues in round 1, as by all reports he hasn't been overly impressive in the warm-ups thus far. Interesting to see Moala at centre again - I wonder whether they will keep him their during the regular season until Nonu returns (Willison is the other option)?

Is their any player who has played for the Chiefs who you don't think is under-rated? :p I suppose it is only fair that I give him a chance, but I'm glad he will spend the season standing on the wing for the Blues rather than the Highlanders!

Disappointing for Shields, but the Canes do have some depth at 6 - Levave is a good backup, and there is also the option of playing Lam at 6 and Savea at 7. It is a long season, so Shields still has plenty of time to prove his worth to the AB's selectors.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. TRF Mr Fish

TRF Mr Fish Your Piscine Overlord

Country Flag:

New Zealand

I certainly think Willison would be a safer option, but he hasn't had much game time in the preseasons so it does look like Moala might have the inside running, given that he has started all three games. It's a bit strange, you'd think Kirwan would want safe players around an inexperienced and flamboyant first five, not players of Moala's ilk. I think if the Blues put out the same lineup in a week the Highlanders will seriously fancy causing an upset.

4. Gena_ZA

Gena_ZA First XV

Country Flag:

South Africa

Club or Nation:

Stormers

Another set back for the Canes:
    "Midfielder Tim Bateman has suffered a grade one medial knee ligament injury at training.
    His leg was put in a splint and it is thought he will miss two to six weeks."

5. TRF_nickdnz

TRF_nickdnz Super Moderator

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Hurricanes

Crap! Hopefully it's more in the two week range than the six! I guess it's Hadleigh Parkes time to shine (which to be fair I think he will do a safe enough job). I can't see Cardiff Vaega being the next choice. A shame though as I'm a fan of Bateman. Lets hope that the Canes don't have any more injuries before season starts - last time we lost Cory Jane for the entire season..

6. TRF Mr Fish

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Hurricanes lineup added...

Once again the Chiefs seem to be refusing to actually announce their squad for the match with the Blues. Very frustrating!

7. Patchey

Patchey First XV

Country Flag:

England

I really can't wait to see how Weepu/Marshall turn out.

8. TRF Mr Fish

Country Flag:

New Zealand

9. TRF_nickdnz

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Hurricanes

Oh for god sakes. What the ***** is Hammet doing to these guys? Vito, Shields and Bateman already down...Vito for maybe as many as 8 weeks some reports say.

I guess we'll see: 6. Jack Lam, 7. Ardie Savea, 8. Faifili Levave which is certainly pretty understrength...hopefully we won't be seeing too much of Blade Thomson...Any more damage to our loosetrio and we may have a worse loose trio than the Highlanders.

10. Icemn

Icemn First XV

Country Flag:

Australia

Club or Nation:

Hurricanes

fck

11. Darwin

Darwin AKA Dingo_Darwin

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Highlanders

So it's Hammetts fault aye? Nothing to do with these Wellington players just being soft? :p Oh yeah, that's what you get when you criticize the Highlanders.

The make-up of the loose-trio with Shields and Vito out will be interesting. One of the areas where the Canes will really miss Vito is in the lineout, where he has been their main jumper for the last few years - they could basically guarantee getting clean ball with him at 2 in the lineout. Though I do think a loose trio with Levave, Savea, and Lam would be the best option (6. Levave, 7. Lam, 8. Savea would be another possible arrangement), I worry how the Canes would go at lineout time with that trio. None of those three players are strong lineout options - there would be a huge amount of pressure on the locks if this was the loose-trio. Because of this they may consider Blade Thomson at 8. I'm not yet convinced about him at Super Rugby level (he lacks a bit of physicality), but he has some good ball handling skills and importantly is an excellent lineout option.

Also I wouldn't complain too much about Hammett - at least you don't have Jamie Joseph as coach. If you did I can almost guarantee Mark Reddish would be starting at 6....

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  12. Jabby

Jabby First XV

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Otago

Brownie must be doing a good job of reigning Joseph in when it come to over training our boys...only one injury i think...nice change to the past few years

13. Draggs

Draggs Hall of Fame

Joseph always struck me as the kind of guy who'd hit you with his car if you slacked off in training, a bit Dale Macintosh-ish.

14. TRF Mr Fish

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Approximate lineup for the Chiefs against the Blues:

Manu
    Marshall
    Hohneck
    Retallick
    ?
    Messam
    Cane
    Crosswell
    Pulu
    Cruden
    Tikoirotuma
    Lienert-Brown
    Fruean
    Lowe
    Nanai-Williams

Harris
    Symons
    Kolomatangi
    Kerr-Barlow
    Webber
    West
    Nichols

Chiefs have had a comfortable 43-19 win.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  15. TRF_stormer2010

TRF_stormer2010 Super Moderator

Country Flag:

South Africa

Club or Nation:

Stormers

No Bundee Aki? I was really impressed with him last year.

16. TRF Mr Fish

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Hard to tell to be honest. It's possible, I was piecing it together based on the Twitter updates of the game!

17. Muzzy

Muzzy Bench Player

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Fiji

Not holding much hope for the Blues team this year, looks pretty weak to me but I hope I'm wrong. I'll be looking out for Nadolo though when he gets some game time with the Crusaders

18. TRF_nickdnz

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Hurricanes

The Blues still haven't played Mealamu, Woodcock, Nonu and Kaino yet so I wouldn't be too pessimistic.

19. TRF_stormer2010

TRF_stormer2010 Super Moderator

Country Flag:

South Africa

Club or Nation:

Stormers

Okay. Funny how well the Chiefs have the centers covered despite losing SBW and Kahui both.

20. TRF Mr Fish

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Last night the Crusaders won handily against the Hurricanes, 40-15 (though at half time only 1 point separated the teams!), whilst the Highlanders were trumped 19-16 in Sydney (which, all things considered, isn't a bad result given the quality the Waratahs have at their disposal).

Also it looks like the Chiefs will be without Cane for a couple of weeks - which is a big blow given that Latimer hasn't played yet this season due to a niggle.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  21. samxara

samxara Academy Player

Country Flag:

Georgia

Club or Nation:

Georgia

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!