• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 Super Rugby] New Zealand conference

Crusaders squad to face the Hurricanes:

Israel Dagg, Johnny McNicholl, Ryan Crotty (c), Tom Taylor, Nafi Tuitavake, Colin Slade, Willi Heinz, Luke Whitelock, Matt Todd, George Whitelock, Dominic Bird, Luke Romano, Owen Franks, Ben Funnell, Wyatt Crockett. Reserves: Corey Flynn, Tim Perry, Nepo Laulala, Sam Whitelock, Richie McCaw, Jordan Taufua, Andy Ellis, Tyler Bleyendaal, Rob Thompson, Zac Guildford, Reynold Lee-Lo.

Good to see McNicholl back, I'm looking forward to seeing more of him this season.

Blues squad to face the Chiefs:

Charles Piutau, Frank Halai, George Moala, Francis Saili, Lolagi Visinia, Benji Marshall, Piri Weepu; Peter Saili, Luke Braid (capt), Steven Luatua, Tom Donnelly, Liaki Moli, Charlie Faumuina, James Parsons, Sam Prattley. Reserves: Ofa Tu'ungafasi, Greg Pleasants-Tate, Tom McCartney, Angus Ta'avao, William Lloyd, Patrick Tuipulotu, Kane Barrett, Jordan Manihera, Brendon O'Connor, Bryn Hall, Chris Noakes, Simon Hickey, Jackson Willison, Tevita Li, Albert Nikora.

Looks like Marshall will be starting at 10 against the Highlanders next week, given that he's started all three preseason matches at first five.

I'm glad see McNicholl back too. I'm a massive fan of his, and I think he has All Black potential. Sounds like Kerr is out, so it is Marshall vs Noakes (who is only just back from injury) for the Blues 10 jersey. As a Highlanders supporter I'm more than happy for Marshall to be at 10 for the Blues in round 1, as by all reports he hasn't been overly impressive in the warm-ups thus far. Interesting to see Moala at centre again - I wonder whether they will keep him their during the regular season until Nonu returns (Willison is the other option)?

I think Triggs is being under rated. for a while he was pretty damn good, had some big performances in super rugby and for the Maori All Blacks, I think there was a while where if there was an injury in the ABs Triggs would have been one of the next guys to be looked at. I remember him having one good series for the Maori team where he started as the squads backup lock and ended the tour as the #1 lock and arguably the Maoris best player. Then did not get the game time I thought he deserved for the chiefs had an injury as well and went overseas.

It will be interesting to see how he goes. Retalick has been underrated as well but hes had ups and downs, you could say Triggs had a similar run.

err yeah and on a side note....

Brad Shields out for 6-8 weeks with an mcl

shame, I thought this was going to be his year

Is their any player who has played for the Chiefs who you don't think is under-rated? :p I suppose it is only fair that I give him a chance, but I'm glad he will spend the season standing on the wing for the Blues rather than the Highlanders!

Disappointing for Shields, but the Canes do have some depth at 6 - Levave is a good backup, and there is also the option of playing Lam at 6 and Savea at 7. It is a long season, so Shields still has plenty of time to prove his worth to the AB's selectors.

I'm glad see McNicholl back too. I'm a massive fan of his, and I think he has All Black potential. Sounds like Kerr is out, so it is Marshall vs Noakes (who is only just back from injury) for the Blues 10 jersey. As a Highlanders supporter I'm more than happy for Marshall to be at 10 for the Blues in round 1, as by all reports he hasn't been overly impressive in the warm-ups thus far. Interesting to see Moala at centre again - I wonder whether they will keep him their during the regular season until Nonu returns (Willison is the other option)?

I certainly think Willison would be a safer option, but he hasn't had much game time in the preseasons so it does look like Moala might have the inside running, given that he has started all three games. It's a bit strange, you'd think Kirwan would want safe players around an inexperienced and flamboyant first five, not players of Moala's ilk. I think if the Blues put out the same lineup in a week the Highlanders will seriously fancy causing an upset.

Another set back for the Canes:
"Midfielder Tim Bateman has suffered a grade one medial knee ligament injury at training.
His leg was put in a splint and it is thought he will miss two to six weeks."

Crap! Hopefully it's more in the two week range than the six! I guess it's Hadleigh Parkes time to shine (which to be fair I think he will do a safe enough job). I can't see Cardiff Vaega being the next choice. A shame though as I'm a fan of Bateman. Lets hope that the Canes don't have any more injuries before season starts - last time we lost Cory Jane for the entire season..

Crusaders squad to face the Hurricanes:

Israel Dagg, Johnny McNicholl, Ryan Crotty (c), Tom Taylor, Nafi Tuitavake, Colin Slade, Willi Heinz, Luke Whitelock, Matt Todd, George Whitelock, Dominic Bird, Luke Romano, Owen Franks, Ben Funnell, Wyatt Crockett. Reserves: Corey Flynn, Tim Perry, Nepo Laulala, Sam Whitelock, Richie McCaw, Jordan Taufua, Andy Ellis, Tyler Bleyendaal, Rob Thompson, Zac Guildford, Reynold Lee-Lo.

Good to see McNicholl back, I'm looking forward to seeing more of him this season.

Hurricanes squad for the match:

Marty Banks, Cory Jane, Conrad Smith, Tim Bateman, Alapati Leiua, Beauden Barrett, TJ Perenara, Victor Vito, Jack Lam, Adam Hill, Mark Abbott, Jeremy Thrush, Jeffery Toomaga-Allen, Dane Coles, Ben Franks. Reserves: Motu Matu'u, Ash Dixon, John Schwalger, Brendon Edmonds, Chris Eves, James Broadhurst, Mark Reddish, Blade Thomson, Faifili Levave, Ardie Savea, Callum Gibbins, Chris Smylie, Billy Guyton, James Marshall, Hadleigh Parkes, Cardiff Vaega, Julian Savea, Nehe Milner-Skudder, Andre Taylor.

Blues squad to face the Chiefs:

Charles Piutau, Frank Halai, George Moala, Francis Saili, Lolagi Visinia, Benji Marshall, Piri Weepu; Peter Saili, Luke Braid (capt), Steven Luatua, Tom Donnelly, Liaki Moli, Charlie Faumuina, James Parsons, Sam Prattley. Reserves: Ofa Tu'ungafasi, Greg Pleasants-Tate, Tom McCartney, Angus Ta'avao, William Lloyd, Patrick Tuipulotu, Kane Barrett, Jordan Manihera, Brendon O'Connor, Bryn Hall, Chris Noakes, Simon Hickey, Jackson Willison, Tevita Li, Albert Nikora.

Looks like Marshall will be starting at 10 against the Highlanders next week, given that he's started all three preseason matches at first five.

Hurricanes lineup added...

Once again the Chiefs seem to be refusing to actually announce their squad for the match with the Blues. Very frustrating!

Oh for god sakes. What the ***** is Hammet doing to these guys? Vito, Shields and Bateman already down...Vito for maybe as many as 8 weeks some reports say.

I guess we'll see: 6. Jack Lam, 7. Ardie Savea, 8. Faifili Levave which is certainly pretty understrength...hopefully we won't be seeing too much of Blade Thomson...Any more damage to our loosetrio and we may have a worse loose trio than the Highlanders.

Another set back for the Canes:
"Midfielder Tim Bateman has suffered a grade one medial knee ligament injury at training.
His leg was put in a splint and it is thought he will miss two to six weeks."
fck

Oh for god sakes. What the ***** is Hammet doing to these guys? Vito, Shields and Bateman already down...Vito for maybe as many as 8 weeks some reports say.

I guess we'll see: 6. Jack Lam, 7. Ardie Savea, 8. Faifili Levave which is certainly pretty understrength...hopefully we won't be seeing too much of Blade Thomson...Any more damage to our loosetrio and we may have a worse loose trio than the Highlanders.

So it's Hammetts fault aye? Nothing to do with these Wellington players just being soft? :p Oh yeah, that's what you get when you criticize the Highlanders.

The make-up of the loose-trio with Shields and Vito out will be interesting. One of the areas where the Canes will really miss Vito is in the lineout, where he has been their main jumper for the last few years - they could basically guarantee getting clean ball with him at 2 in the lineout. Though I do think a loose trio with Levave, Savea, and Lam would be the best option (6. Levave, 7. Lam, 8. Savea would be another possible arrangement), I worry how the Canes would go at lineout time with that trio. None of those three players are strong lineout options - there would be a huge amount of pressure on the locks if this was the loose-trio. Because of this they may consider Blade Thomson at 8. I'm not yet convinced about him at Super Rugby level (he lacks a bit of physicality), but he has some good ball handling skills and importantly is an excellent lineout option.

Also I wouldn't complain too much about Hammett - at least you don't have Jamie Joseph as coach. If you did I can almost guarantee Mark Reddish would be starting at 6....

Last edited:
Brownie must be doing a good job of reigning Joseph in when it come to over training our boys...only one injury i think...nice change to the past few years

Brownie must be doing a good job of reigning Joseph in when it come to over training our boys...only one injury i think...nice change to the past few years
Joseph always struck me as the kind of guy who'd hit you with his car if you slacked off in training, a bit Dale Macintosh-ish.

Approximate lineup for the Chiefs against the Blues:

Manu
Marshall
Hohneck
Retallick
?
Messam
Cane
Crosswell
Pulu
Cruden
Tikoirotuma
Lienert-Brown
Fruean
Lowe
Nanai-Williams

Harris
Symons
Kolomatangi
Kerr-Barlow
Webber
West
Nichols

Chiefs have had a comfortable 43-19 win.

Last edited:
Approximate lineup for the Chiefs against the Blues:

Manu
Marshall
Hohneck
?
?
Messam
Cane
Crosswell
Pulu
Cruden
Tikoirotuma
Lienert-Brown
Fruean
Lowe
Nanai-Williams

Harris
Symons
Kolomatagi
Kerr-Barlow
Webber
West
Nichols

Chiefs have had a comfortable 43-19 win.

No Bundee Aki? I was really impressed with him last year.

Not holding much hope for the Blues team this year, looks pretty weak to me but I hope I'm wrong. I'll be looking out for Nadolo though when he gets some game time with the Crusaders

The Blues still haven't played Mealamu, Woodcock, Nonu and Kaino yet so I wouldn't be too pessimistic.

Last night the Crusaders won handily against the Hurricanes, 40-15 (though at half time only 1 point separated the teams!), whilst the Highlanders were trumped 19-16 in Sydney (which, all things considered, isn't a bad result given the quality the Waratahs have at their disposal).

Also it looks like the Chiefs will be without Cane for a couple of weeks - which is a big blow given that Latimer hasn't played yet this season due to a ****le.

Last edited:

Latest posts