• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 Super Rugby] New Zealand conference

And they have the ****tiest team on paper I think they have ever had, so could really have done with an Israel Dagg, Ice Toeava, Nick Evans, Car Hayman type player (these were the names being bandied around and hence why people are so gutted!) Feel sorry for T Brown too, what a crap way to start his job!

Not sure if I agree with that - I think you are underestimating how ****ty some of the teams we have had in the past were! On paper this side looks no worse than our 2011 team that finished mid-table (Joseph's first year in charge). The first game that season (against the Canes) we fielded a starting lineup of:

MackIntosh, Rutledge, Te Moana, Hoeata, Bekhuis, Thomson, Soakai, Manu, Cowan, Sopoaga, Poki, Treeby, Lynn, Paterson, Smith.

You could argue MacIntosh, Thomson, and Poki were better than what we currently have, but I would prefer Fia (or King) over Te Moana, Thorn over Hoeata or Bekhuis, Hardie over Soakai, Aaron Smith over Cowan, and arguably Osbourne/Popoali'i over Paterson. Although it is hard to say too much until we see the final squad confirmed (which it will be within the next week I think?), I don't think the squad will be as bad as many think. I don't think we will be near playoff contention, but I suspect we will perform far better than last season (not really that hard a task I suppose :) ).

Hope you're right bro, that 2011 squad did look ropey on paper so fingers crossed

Not sure if I agree with that - I think you are underestimating how ****ty some of the teams we have had in the past were! On paper this side looks no worse than our 2011 team that finished mid-table (Joseph's first year in charge). The first game that season (against the Canes) we fielded a starting lineup of:

MackIntosh, Rutledge, Te Moana, Hoeata, Bekhuis, Thomson, Soakai, Manu, Cowan, Sopoaga, Poki, Treeby, Lynn, Paterson, Smith.

You could argue MacIntosh, Thomson, and Poki were better than what we currently have, but I would prefer Fia (or King) over Te Moana, Thorn over Hoeata or Bekhuis, Hardie over Soakai, Aaron Smith over Cowan, and arguably Osbourne/Popoali'i over Paterson. Although it is hard to say too much until we see the final squad confirmed (which it will be within the next week I think?), I don't think the squad will be as bad as many think. I don't think we will be near playoff contention, but I suspect we will perform far better than last season (not really that hard a task I suppose :) ).

Yup you are right. I was exaggerating mainly because from the outside it just appears the franchise has regressed since last year which is a real shame.

I do think they will be dead last in the NZ conference though! That squad on paper doesn't look like it will be able to compete consistently unfortunately.

Yup you are right. I was exaggerating mainly because from the outside it just appears the franchise has regressed since last year which is a real shame.

I do think they will be dead last in the NZ conference though! That squad on paper doesn't look like it will be able to compete consistently unfortunately.

Most likely yes. I expect we will pull off a few upsets though.

I actually think Tony Brown is a great addition as attack coach. Otago's attack has been quite impressive over the last couple of seasons. Hopefully he will bring some direction to the Highlanders attack, rather than the 'run laterally and pass the ball continuously from side to side' tactic we have been using the last couple of years....

It will be interesting to see who we sign at prop. We have 1 or 2 spots open for LH, as the three props we have signed (Fia, King and Diaz) are all primarily TH props (though King can cover LH). There aren't that many quality LH props available - I wonder if we will look at big Paea Fa'anunu from Canterbury? Nasi Manu will be a key for us this season (assuming he has re-signed?) - we really missed his ball running when he was out injured last year. I'm hoping we actually see a genuine flanker played in the 6 jersey this season, as neither Hoeata nor Wheeler have the skills required for that position given our expansive game-plan.

I assume we are going to sign another first-five (alongside Parker & Sopoaga) - I'm just not sure who. Eade hasn't really impressed for Southland, though his versatility (he has been playing a lot at halfback) may see him considered for the wider training group. You would think that Ihaia West would be an option, though there would be a risk in having 3 young 10's. I'm not sure who out of Parker and Sopoaga I would prefer. Parker is the more reliable player and is a class goal-kicker (while Sopoaga is an average goal-kicker), but Sopoaga can certainly add some spark to the backline, which may be what we need if we are to cause upsets.

We look to have plenty of midfield backs signed (Burleigh, Treeby, Stanley, Emery), and there is a rumour Malakai Fekitoa may have signed too. Emery's development seems to have stalled a bit over the last year, but I'm really hoping he starts to show some of the potential he displayed for the under 20's last year.

We still need to sign a couple more wings - as I understand it Popoali'i, Osbourne, Baker, and Smith are only outside backs officially signed thus far. While Popoali'i and Osbourne would certainly be an exciting combo on attack I would be very worried about our defense if they were our two wings! I'm not really sure who the Highlanders should be targeting in terms of wings. Nemani is a big powerful lad, but his discipline remains a massive issue (as the Highlanders found out last year!), Sherwin Stowers seems focused on 7's, while Joe Webber is great with ball in hand but struggles under pressure (and the high ball!). I wonder if they will take a punt on a youngster like Milton Keresoma (or even Tevita Li)?

[2013 Super Rugby] Chiefs

Chiefs coaches Dave Rennie, Tom Coventry, Wayne Smith and Andrew Strawbridge have announced their squad for the 2014 Investec Super Rugby competition:

Chiefs 2014 Investec Super Rugby Squad:

Ben Afeaki - (Prop) - North Harbour
Bundee Aki -
(Midfield back) - Counties Manukau
Gareth Anscombe -
(First five-eighth) - Auckland
Sam Cane -
(Loose forward) - Bay of Plenty
Nick Crosswell -
(Loose forward) - Manawatu
Aaron Cruden -
(First five-eighth) - Manawatu
Hikawera Elliot -
(Hooker) - Counties Manukau
Ross Filipo -
(Lock) - Wellington
Mike Fitzgerald -
(Lock) - Manawatu
Robbie Fruean -*
(Midfield back) - Canterbury
Josh Hohneck -
(Prop) - Bay of Plenty
Andrew Horrell -
(Utility back) - Hawke's Bay
Tawera Kerr-Barlow -
(Halfback) - Waikato
Tanerau Latimer -
James Lowe*/** -
(Outside back) - Tasman
Jamie Mackintosh* -
(Prop) - Southland
Pauliasi Manu -
(Prop) - Auckland
Rhys Marshall -
(Hooker) - Taranaki
Tom Marshall* -
(Outside back) - Tasman
Liam Messam -
(Loose forward) - Waikato
Mils Muliaina* -
(Midfield back) - TBC
Tim Nanai-Williams -
(Outside back) - Counties Manukau
Charlie Ngatai -
(Midfield back) - Wellington
Augustine Pulu -
(Halfback) - Counties Manukau
Brodie Retallick -
(Lock) - Bay of Plenty
Robbie Robinson -
(Fullback) - Southland
Mahonri Schwalger -
(Hooker) - Counties Manukau
Liam Squire*/** -
(Loose forward) - Tasman
Matthew Symons*/** -
(Lock) - CanterburyBen Tameifuna - Prop - Waikato
Kane Thompson* -
(Loose forward) - TBC
Asaeli Tikoirotuma -
(Winger) - Manawatu

Wider Training Squad:

Carl Axtens*/** -
Nick Barrett* -
(Prop) - Southland
Anton Lienert-Brown*/** -
(Midfield back) - Waikato
Tevita Kolomatangi*/** -
(Loose forward) - Tasman
Brad Weber*/** -
(Halfback) - Waikato

http://www.chiefs.co.nz/news/chiefs-announce-2014-squad.html

Last edited:
[2014 Super Rugby] Blues

Blues Head Coach Sir John Kirwan unveiled his 2014 squad at a breakfast event exclusively for members and sponsors at Eden Park this morning:

131029080220901607.jpg

Pretty stoked with the squad! JK has a real passion for the blues which you can hear in his interveiws and thats what you need in a coach. Not going to count my chickens and say this squad can go far, remember 2012 when we were favourites? But pretty exciting. No room for quentin Mcdonald? I would of had him over tom McCartney. That backrow is fantastic, must be up there with some of the best in comp. Interesting to see the exlusion of marty Mckenzie, but happy with the pickup of aki. Strong wider training squad too, fan of albert nikoro and joe edwards.

Where's Fekitoa? I only saw him a few times in the ITM cup this year but he looked really good. He was in the squad last year too so a bit of a shame I reckon!

Otherwise it's a really good squad, certainly stronger than last year. Particularly with experience brought in with the likes of Kaino, Benji, Donnelly, and Nonu!

I'm not sure they will match up that well in the locking department with some of the rest of the teams, seems to me that will be there only weakness, that and the usual lack of depth if injuries become a concern.

Benji named in the outsides as well, seems to suggest he may start at fullback?? with Halai and Piutau on the wings!

Definitely a squad that can go back-to-back-to-back! They have certainly got the depth in the forwards to continue on with there tough style of play. Mackintosh is a nice addition and I'm sure he will feel he has a lot to prove. Great team man as well. Love the addition of Squire and think he will get significant game time in Rennie's rotation system. It will be interesting to see how Mils comes back? Presuming he will start at 15 but again will likely be rotated a bit with Robinson and Anscombe. Hopefully we will see a bit of Fruean as well, anyone got any updates on his health?

That's a very mean team, lots of depth. Lots of competition for the starting 15. i'm expecting a lot from the boys this season.

A good squad. With a bit of luck they should aim at getting to the play offs.

[2014 Super Rugby] New Zealand Squads

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...Zealand-franchises-confirm-Super-Rugby-squads

BLUES

Forwards: Tom McCartney (Auckland), Keven Mealamu (Auckland), James Parsons (North Harbour), Charlie Faumuina (Auckland), Sam Prattley (Auckland), Angus Ta'avao (Auckland), Ofa Tu'ungafasi (Auckland), Tony Woodcock (North Harbour), Tom Donnelly (Otago), Liaki Moli (Auckland), Culum Retallick (Bay of Plenty), Patrick Tuipulotu (Auckland), Kane Barrett (Taranaki), Luke Braid (Auckland), Jerome Kaino (Auckland), Steven Luatua (Auckland), Brendon O'Connor (Canterbury), Peter Saili (Auckland).

Backs: Jamison Gibson-Park (Taranaki), Bryn Hall (North Harbour), Piri Weepu (Auckland), Baden Kerr (Counties Manukau), Chris Noakes (Bay of Plenty), Pita Ahki (North Harbour), Ma'a Nonu (Wellington), Francis Saili (North Harbour), Jackson Willison (Waikato), Frank Halai (Counties Manukau), Benji Marshall (Auckland), George Moala (Auckland), Charles Piutau (Auckland), Lolagi Visinia (Auckland).

Wider training group: Joe Edwards (Auckland), Simon Hickey (Auckland), Tevita Li (North Harbour), Tom Murday (Northland), Albert Nikoro (Auckland).

CHIEFS

Backs: Robbie Robinson (Southland), Tom Marshall (Tasman), James Lowe (Tasman), Asaeli Tikoirotuma (Manawatu), Mils Muliaina (TBC), Tim Nanai-Williams (Counties Manukau), Robbie Fruean (Canterbury), Charlie Ngatai (Wellington), Bundee Aki (Counties Manukau), Andrew Horrell (Hawke's Bay), Aaron Cruden (Manawatu), Gareth Anscombe (Auckland), Tawera Kerr-Barlow (Waikato), August Pulu (Counties Mankau).

Forwards: Kane Thompson (TBC), Liam Squire (Tasman), Liam Messam (Waikato), Nick Crosswell (Manawatu), Tanerau Latimer (Bay of Plenty), Sam Cane (Bay of Plenty), Brodie Retallick (Bay of Plenty), Ross Filipo (Wellington), Mike Fitzgerald (Manawatu), Matt Symons (Canterbury), Ben Afeaki (North Harbour), Ben Tameifuna (Waikato), Jamie Mackintosh (Southlanf), Pauliasi Manu (Auckland), Josh Hohneck (Bay of Plenty), Hika Elliot (Counties Manukau), Mahonri Schwalger (Counties Manukau), Rhys Marshall (Taranaki).

Wider training squad: Carl Axtens (Bay of Plenty), Nick Barrett (Southland), Anton Lienert-Brown (Waikato), Tevita Kolomatangi (Tasman), Brad Weber (Waikato).

HURRICANES

Forwards: Mark Abbott (Hawke's Bay), James Broadhurst (Taranaki), Dane Coles (Wellington), Ash Dixon (Hawke's Bay), Ben Franks (Hawke's Bay), Reggie Goodes (Wellington), Jack Lam (Waikato), Faifili Levave (Wellington), Motu Matu'u (Wellington), Mark Reddish (Wellington), Ardie Savea (Wellington), John Schwalger (Wellington), Brad Shields (Wellington), Eric Sione (Wellington), Blade Thomson (Taranaki), Jeremy Thrush (Wellington), Jeffery Toomaga-Allen (Wellington), Victor Vito (Wellington).

Backs: Beauden Barrett (Taranaki), Marty Banks (Tasman), Tim Bateman (Wellington), Cory Jane (Wellington), Alapati Leiua (Wellington), James Marshall (Taranaki), Hadleigh Parkes (Auckland), TJ Perenara (Wellington), Matt Proctor (Wellington), Julian Savea (Wellington), Conrad Smith (Wellington), Chris Smylie (Taranaki), Andre Taylor (Taranaki), Cardiff Vaega (Southland). Wider training squad: Chris Eves (Manawatu), Callum Gibbins (Manawatu), Adam Hill (Wellington), Billy Guyton (Tasman), Nehe Milner-Skudder (Manawatu)

Wider training squad: Chris Eves (Manawatu), Callum Gibbins (Manawatu), Adam Hill (Wellington), Billy Guyton (Tasman), Nehe Milner-Skudder (Manawatu).

CRUSADERS

Dominic Bird (Canterbury), Tyler Bleyendaal (Canterbury), Daniel Carter (Canterbury), Wyatt Crockett (Canterbury), Ryan Crotty (Canterbury), Israel Dagg (Hawke's Bay), Mitchell Drummond (Canterbury), Andy Ellis (Canterbury), Corey Flynn (Canterbury), Owen Franks (Canterbury), Ben Funnell (Canterbury) Zac Guildford (Hawke's Bay), Willi Heinz (Canterbury), Nepo Laulala (Canterbury), Rey Lee-Lo (Counties Manukau), Richie McCaw (Canterbury), Johnny McNicholl (Canterbury), Joe Moody (Canterbury), Nemani Nadolo (Tasman), Tim Perry (Tasman), Kieran Read (Canterbury), Luke Romano (Canterbury), Colin Slade (Canterbury), Jordan Taufua (Canterbury), Codie Taylor (Canterbury), Tom Taylor (Canterbury), Matt Todd (Canterbury), Jimmy Tupou (Counties Manukau), Adam Whitelock (Canterbury), George Whitelock (Canterbury), Luke Whitelock (Canterbury), Sam Whitelock (Canterbury).

Wider training group: Jed Brown (Canterbury), Kieron Fonotia (Tasman), Mike Kainga (Bay of Plenty), Rob Thompson (Canterbury), Nafi Tuitavake (North Harbour).

HIGHLANDERS

Forwards: Josh Bekhuis (Southland), Shane Christie (Tasman), Liam Coltman (Otago), Matias Diaz (Argentina), Elliot Dixon (Otago), Gareth Evans (Otago), Ma'afu Fia (Manawatu), Tom Franklin (Otago), Kane Hames (Bay of Plenty), John Hardie (Southland), Jarrad Hoeata (Taranaki), TJ Ioane (Otago), Chris King (Otago), Nasi Manu (Canterbury), Brayden Mitchell (Waikato), Brad Thorn, Joe Wheeler (Tasman).

Backs: Kurt Baker (Taranaki), Phil Burleigh (North Harbour), Jason Emery (Manawatu), Malakai Fekitoa (Auckland), Patrick Osborne (Canterbury), Hayden Parker (Otago), Buxton Popoalii (Otago) Willie Ripia (Bay of Plenty), Aaron Smith (Wellington), Ben Smith (Otago), Lima Sopoaga (Wellington), Winston Stanley (Western Force), Fumiaki Tanaka (Otago), Shaun Treeby (Wellington), Frae Wilson (Wellington).

Wider Training Group: Lee Allan (Otago), Richard Buckman (Hawke's Bay), Craig Millar (Otago) Trent Renata (Waikato), Ged Robinson (Hawke's Bay).

well its moneyball isn't it, very intelligently constructed squad with no weak areas, and the key word is depth. Hard to tell whos going to start and if someone gets injured someone just as good will be waiting in the wings. Key people will stand out.

The players they will miss the most IMO are Matt vant Leven, Toby Smith and of course Craig Clarke

I'm looking at Charlie Ngatai and Jamie Mackintosh to have big seasons.

also think its sneaky only having 2 halfbacks in the main squad

Captian? My Guess is that Cruden and Messam will co-captian.

Warms my heart to see Mills back :) easy to forget how good he is, go back and look at the All Black highlights for 2010... Its basically a Mills highlight real. Picked up some injuries in 2011, getting on a bit but one hopes some sushi and soft rugby has put him in a good space.

Obviously with most of the signings being announced already there aren't as many surprises.

Ripia has gone to the Highlanders, and they've also picked up Malakai Fekitoa.

The Crusaders have signed Nemani Nadolo from Japan, a big winger, to replace Tom Marshall. Likewise they've given a contract to young halfback Mitchell Drummond, which is a good long term signing.

I'm really hoping Kerr builds on the experience he now has and gets starts and makes it happen. hes a superb player just looked a bit rushed in super rugby.

A good squad, definite improvement on last year. Still have my concerns around locks and first five. I'm really hoping Kerr is the starter and is given a chance to get a feel for Super Rugby. We have such a promising backline, it would be such a dissapointment to have it all fall down at 10.

The squad just has a good feel about it, a real nice mix of youth and experience, big names and more unknowns. As someone said theres no denying the passion JK has for the team, and with the backroom staff he's got you have to like their chances of getting the most out of the team.

The idea of this backline is exciting!
9 - Weepu
10 - Kerr
11 - Piutau
12 - Nonu
13 - Saili
14 - Halai
15 - Marshall

Also pleased to see Tevita Li in the training squad, in his few games for Harbour this year he looked a real talent.

Last edited:
A good squad, definite improvement on last year. Still have my concerns around locks and first five. I'm really hoping Kerr is the starter and is given a chance to get a feel for Super Rugby. We have such a promising backline, it would be such a dissapointment to have it all fall down at 10.

The squad just has a good feel about it, a real nice mix of youth and experience, big names and more unknowns. As someone said theres no denying the passion JK has for the team, and with the backroom staff he's got you have to like their chances of getting the most out of the team.

The idea of this backline is exciting!
9 - Weepu
10 - Kerr
11 - Piutau
12 - Nonu
13 - Saili
14 - Halai
15 - Marshall

Also pleased to see Tevita Li in the training squad, in his few games for Harbour this year he looked a real talent.

Agree with what you've said!

Presumably Benji will be next in line for 10 IF Kerr doesn't go so well. I like Kerr though and think he will do a good job. Hope Piri speeds up a bit and gets him some good quick ball though! Slow/stagnat ball won't do Kerr (or the Blues backline) much good.

Latest posts