• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 Super Rugby] New Zealand conference

I cant imagine a move to europe being a good influence on him. A bunch of young blokes his age, in the party capital of world, miles away from any family or good influences on him. How stupid...

Sometimes you have to go a long way to reinvent yourself and every club has its good influences for those willing to listen. It could work out.

One would think they would start with kerr considering hes the form player out of three and has now had a year in the saddle at super rugby. I think thats what kept him from starting this year, just his inexperience. But now with his past two seasons with counties being rather excellent, and a year of super rugby he will most likley get the first chance.
I just have a hunch marty Mckenzie will be his backup. Hes a lethal young player who was used sparingly last year, mainly because he was considered purley a fullback, and charles piutau more then adequately filled that role, injury free. Hes an exciting player, and think he will be utilized as much as possible next season. Also if kirwan failed to use him theres no doubt another team would pick him up come 2015.
Chris noakes is an interesting one. His first couple games last year he looked the absolute goods (check his highlights), he was an architect. Then he just completely became useless towards the middle and end of season, especially defensively. I believe his best role in a team is as a squad member with experience to do the job if necessary. This is how the highlanders used him, as there third choice to sopoaga and slade (however those two are always injured so he became the first choice). If injuries strike or players need a rest, atleast you know you got the experience of noakes to step in.

First choice: kerr
Bench: Mckenzie
Squad: noakes

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/provincial/9321776/Tony-Brown-added-to-Highlanders-coaching-group

The Highlanders' ''high profile'' signing, to be announced at 12pm today, has turned out to be the addition of Otago coach Tony Brown.
Brown, who has coached Otago to the semifinals of the NPC championship in each of the past two years, will join the existing Highlanders management of head coach Jamie Joseph and assistants Scott McLeod and Jon Preston.

Surely this is a joke?

HAHAHA just been trolled by the highlanders. How did they think that would get people excited?

Good to see Brown joining the coaching team, as he has been good value for Otago these last two seasons. However (as has been mentioned) claiming him as a 'high profile signing' is a joke. It is certainly a great way to **** off any of the few Highlanders fans that are left...

EDIT: Wow, that new swear word filter is a sensitiveness little thing isn't it :)

Last edited:
The PR team really didn't think that one through......What an epic failure that was!!

Glad they have brought Brown in though - just shouldn't have marketed it in a way that has left everyone disappointed!

Jeezzz, I was getting all excited for Toeava's return.
'
This news has got me Brown in the dumps (a pun just to make it worse).

Check out some of the comments on the highlanders fan page. They are ANGRY!

Much like the whole green jersey think this just stinks of one person thinking thus an awesome idea...not really asking anyone else an running with it.... But we all know that can't happen in an organisation like this....which makes me worry about those in charge

Add the whole Mackintosh thing and I think the highlanders are doing their best to **** off fans.

And they have the ****tiest team on paper I think they have ever had, so could really have done with an Israel Dagg, Ice Toeava, Nick Evans, Car Hayman type player (these were the names being bandied around and hence why people are so gutted!) Feel sorry for T Brown too, what a crap way to start his job!

Latest posts