• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 Super Rugby] New Zealand conference

When did the Rebels sign West? Can't find anything on it. If they have I'm ganna be furious with the Canes, again..

I don't understand though how no other NZ franchise were jumping at the chance to sign him. He's more promising and better than anything the Blues or Highlanders have.

Wow, I hate to say it but the Highlanders team looks pretty dreadful (Sorry Highlanders fans). No doubt for me they will be bottom of the NZ teams again. There is only so much A & B Smith will be able to do!! The bulk of the team looks to me to be the Otago ITM cup side which was average at best relative to the other ITM cup sides this year..

I hope I am wrong though!!

Christie is a very good signing though, I rate him highly.

there are only 7 Otago names there and all have had stellar seasons, Evan, Franklin and Coltman could have good futures at least at super level, its the guys like wheeler and Hoeata we're still carrying i'm worried about...hoping for a franklin and bekhuis locking combo....even over Thorn, think Thorn would be even more use in Joesph's ear and on the training pitch than starting. In saying that, bekhuis and thorn starting with Franklin on the bench aint bad either

so far, starting line up would have to be

1. King
2. Coltman
3. Fia
4. Thorn
5. Bekhuis
6. Evans
7. Hardie (assuming he's coming back)
8. Dixon (assuming we get him back too)
9. Smith
10. Sopoanga
11. Osborne
12. Treeby
13. Emery
14. Buxton (assuming we get him back)
15. Smith

bench - Brayden, Tanaka, Quisi, TJ, stanley, franklin, Baker.....

....not exactly ***le contenders on paper and too many "if's" in there

one other option is smith at 13 and Baker at 15

Last edited:
When did the Rebels sign West? Can't find anything on it. If they have I'm ganna be furious with the Canes, again..

I don't understand though how no other NZ franchise were jumping at the chance to sign him. He's more promising and better than anything the Blues or Highlanders have.

A couple of weeks ago West said that he hadn't been signed by a Super Rugby team yet. Bit surprised the Highlanders or Hurricanes didn't offer him a contract. In saying that, if he wasn't offered a contract by one the local teams, I'm not surprised one of the Aussie teams have stopped in (if it's true). So bloody frustrating that these players are heading overseas just like that. Disgraceful that these Aussie teams exist at all, given their inability to produce their own players...

Chris Noakes would be out the door so fast he'd be spinning like he'd made another arm tackle

there are only 7 Otago names there and all have had stellar seasons, Evan, Franklin and Coltman could have good futures at least at super level, its the guys like wheeler and Hoeata we're still carrying i'm worried about...hoping for a franklin and bekhuis locking combo....even over Thorn, think Thorn would be even more use in Joesph's ear and on the training pitch than starting. In saying that, bekhuis and thorn starting with Franklin on the bench aint bad either
Sorry my bad, you are correct. It felt like there were a few more than that upon first looks. I still fear for the team though. If I can re argue my point it would be to ask, how many of the current Highlanders squad would be able to pick up a Super Rugby contract elsewhere in NZ?? I'm not sure there are than many....Or put a different way, how many of the current squad are basically there because they weren't picked up by their home franchise?
What do you think Jabby? I'm no expert on the Highlanders so genuinely interested in your answer.

Maybe the rebels offered him more cash and a guaranteed starting berth. He would most likely be riding the pine in NZ.

Argentina should not hire Joseph if they actually want to win.

so far, starting line up would have to be

1. King
2. Coltman
3. Fia
4. Thorn
5. Bekhuis
6. Evans
7. Hardie (assuming he's coming back)
8. Dixon (assuming we get him back too)
9. Smith
10. Sopoanga
11. Osborne
12. Treeby
13. Emery
14. Buxton (assuming we get him back)
15. Smith

bench - Brayden, Tanaka, Quisi, TJ, stanley, franklin, Baker.....

....not exactly ***le contenders on paper and too many "if's" in there

one other option is smith at 13 and Baker at 15

Would that line up contend for a semi final in the ITM cup? Sadly, it looks horrendous for a Super team.

Last edited by a moderator:
jeez they really did cough up by loosing both makintosh and woodcock, how on earth do you even manage that! if west goes to rebels that's ridiculously stupid by canes... who is even going to be there backup for Barrett next year? don't tell me pisi, surely not?

jeez they really did cough up by loosing both makintosh and woodcock, how on earth do you even manage that! if west goes to rebels that's ridiculously stupid by canes... who is even going to be there backup for Barrett next year? don't tell me pisi, surely not?

As much as I love West and think the Canes should have signed him, they at least did well to get Marty Banks who has been very, very impressive for Tasman this season. West would really now look much better at the Blues or Highlanders.

interestingly the Highlanders Facebook page posted this yesterday...cant think who it would be, you would think they would have to be big to warrant this

edit: cant seem to post the picture, its basically a big poster with a player with a blacked out face and that a high profile player will be announced at 12:01 on Thursday....even if we had snagged west i wouldn't think he would count as a "High Profile signing"...some sort of international? only thing to cross my mind was O'Connor...

Last edited:
As much as I love West and think the Canes should have signed him, they at least did well to get Marty Banks who has been very, very impressive for Tasman this season. West would really now look much better at the Blues or Highlanders.

blues wouldn't pick him up, i think they have filled up their entire back line. read somewhere that kirwan is going to use marty mckenzie as a 10, so that would leave him, kerr and noakes as there options. no room there for west unfortunately. highlanders would do alright to pick him up. could have sopoaga, parker and west all fight it out for the starting spot, three young guns. seems thats the only place in nz he has a chance to be picked up

interestingly the Highlanders Facebook page posted this yesterday...cant think who it would be, you would think they would have to be big to warrant this

edit: cant seem to post the picture, its basically a big poster with a player with a blacked out face and that a high profile player will be announced at 12:01 on Thursday....even if we had snagged west i wouldn't think he would count as a "High Profile signing"...some sort of international? only thing to cross my mind was O'Connor...

thomas waldrom or stephen donald maybe? cant imagine they would pick up JOC

Blues - The Battle for First Five

This was mentioned in the 2014 Highlanders thread, but thought I'd not drag that off topic.

So the word is that Marty McKenzie is in contention for the 10 Jersey, and will battle it out with Baden Kerr and Chris Noakes. I didn't reallise McKenzie had been playing first five for some of Southlands games this year. Anyone got a view on how he's been going there?

Baden Kerr has looked solid for Counties this year, certainly he would be ahead of Noakes. Noakes had some flashes last year, but I just feel he's far too fragile in defense and didn't offer enough in attack to compensate for it.

Stuff has a line that said "They are two different types of play makers. McKenzie's strength probably centres on his running game and ability to off-load in plenty of traffic while Kerr's strengths are probably more traditional in regard to his kicking game."

Based on that you would think McKenzie might fit the bill, we already have some prolific boots from open play in the backline, with Nonu, Saili and Piutau.

So who out of the three would you prefer come game 1?

depends, you can see the torso in the pic but assume its not the actual guy as they wouldn't have a pic in uniform yet, if it is him somehow it definitely looks like a back

i wouldn't be surprised to see O'Connor to be honest, we had James Haskel the other year and nonu this year...Joseph thinks he can get the best out of these rebellious kind of players

Playing the same 'form devils advocate' as Nonu, IF it was O'Connor and IF he recaptured his good form, Aaron Smith, Ben Smith and O'Connor would have the potential as the base for a pretty exciting back line.

I cant imagine a move to europe being a good influence on him. A bunch of young blokes his age, in the party capital of world, miles away from any family or good influences on him. How stupid...

I don't know, worked for Gavin Henson. Wait a minute ...

Latest posts