• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 6 Nations: France vs Ireland (Round 5)

iINDOMINUSxx

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Scotland
Club or Nation
Edinburgh
France.png
Versus%20Eccellenza.png
Ireland.png

France vs Ireland

Date:
Saturday, March 15th 2014 - 18:00 CET (UTC+1)
Stade de France, Saint-Denis, Paris, France
Referee: Steve Walsh (Australia)

Well to get ball rolling I know I've been critic of some things but hope to see Ireland do job next week. For Schmidt it'll convince a lot that are still on fence as winning in Paris regardless of what French team are like form-wise is no easy task.
On French side I'd love to see Fickou more as a greedy view with Toulouse but know that won't happen. PSA has refused to call up Parra but Piccamoles is back and will be a difference.
Things I'd say about French are they're playing poorly but are still winning and have outside chance at championship. Also a France team on a Saturday evening/night in Paris is a different animal as they come to life usually.

For Ireland I'd hope Schmidts deep knowledge of France plays a part and well if he wants to do the structured kicking game then that it's executed accurately as any poor kicks will be punished I'd fear in open field. I'm strangely confident our pack will match them and we could take them in scrum although it'd be tight but my biggest fear is breakdown. POM and Henry have had issues at times with Southern Hemisphere refs and well Steve Walsh is 1 I'd rather wasn't here as he seems to have habit of being a star in games at times.

All in all hopefully we can send BOD off rightfully on the ground it really began for him in terms of becoming a star and that we can go to Argentina as a squad hopefully ready to play Argentina, introducing and building more players in to Schmidts systems as 6 Nations champions

i really hope that ireland wins the championship for BOD last ever international match :(

haha, I see you don't lose any time making those !! I was actually going to make this one yesterday, but I figured it was a little disrespectful to the fact there was a game today still !...
Thanks again man, it's cool of you.

This match is going to be hilarious. I know I'm going to have a smile towards the end.

Either:
- France wins:
beat Ireland, an excellent team atm, by playing little/almost no Rugby. As a neutral, this is just a hilarious thought. One team almost beat the AB and are mighty and starved and all-conquering and the others are smokin J's, havin fun with counterball and pretending like they're interested in winning games; quite convincing at times I might add.
Funniest thing is by doing that France automatically allow England to win the tournament because they'll likely beat Italy...so they courageously halt a seething, defiant Ireland. To allow the old enemy to win. And of course France can only win by fkn around, they won't actually confront Ireland and convincingly take them out.
:lol:

- Ireland wins:
a cataclysm ensues. They beat France, smt they cherish greatly. They get a win in Paris...first since the classic 2000 match, and before that, 1973. Ecstatic with that alone. But of course there's more: they de facto win the tournament, a first since the 2009 Slam of course, and 1985 before that. And with the whole BOD leaving for good for the 10th time thing, the drama will reach such a peak it will turn the whole thing into a gigantic comedy at the theater.
This would be so over-the-top, and if BOD scores even just once, oh Lord...I'll just sit back, observe, and just take everything in. With a smile.

So I...can't wait for this one either way, I confess :D

haha, I see you don't lose any time making those !! I was actually going to make this one yesterday, but I figured it was a little disrespectful to the fact there was a game today still !...
to be honest i just want some reputation around here as im one off a few of scottish posters and posting match's seems to be way i get but btw its no bother i love to post these matches up

and i would love to see ireland win this one and i think they can after the form they're in comparing to france form they were lucky to beat us scotts yesterday but the irish is going to be a more tougher game and ireland are playing really well i think ireland by 15+

@ImScotty can you stop double posting please, thank you

This match is going to be hilarious. I know I'm going to have a smile towards the end.

Either:
- France wins:
beat Ireland, an excellent team atm, by playing little/almost no Rugby. As a neutral, this is just a hilarious thought. One team almost beat the AB and are mighty and starved and all-conquering and the others are smokin J's, havin fun with counterball and pretending like they're interested in winning games; quite convincing at times I might add.
Funniest thing is by doing that France automatically allow England to win the tournament because they'll likely beat Italy...so they courageously halt a seething, defiant Ireland. To allow the old enemy to win. And of course France can only win by fkn around, they won't actually confront Ireland and convincingly take them out.
:lol:

- Ireland wins:
a cataclysm ensues. They beat France, smt they cherish greatly. They get a win in Paris...first since the classic 2000 match, and before that, 1973. Ecstatic with that alone. But of course there's more: they de facto win the tournament, a first since the 2009 Slam of course, and 1985 before that. And with the whole BOD leaving for good for the 10th time thing, the drama will reach such a peak it will turn the whole thing into a gigantic comedy at the theater.
This would be so over-the-top, and if BOD scores even just once, oh Lord...I'll just sit back, observe, and just take everything in. With a smile.

So I...can't wait for this one either way, I confess :D

I think this says a lot about this year though that as bad as France are they are still technically in with a shot. But agree it's going to be a superb weekend of subplots because as crazy as it is England could win by 50/60 and force Ireland to win by 10 or so. There's so many ways this could go. Regardless I expect our game to be very tight with only a score in difference

Tommy Bowe and Louis Picamoles back into their respective squads

yeah and Szar, thank the Lord almighty in the sky sweet Mary, Joseph the Holy ghost and trinity etc...

I read something that made me smile today. Yannick Bru (forwards coach) said "it would be an exploit to beat Ireland at the Stade de France".
Just so representative of our situation. Now, granted Ireland are by far the best they've ever, ever been...but saying this just some time ago would be nonsensical, it would be pure science fiction. "an EXPLOIT to win at home against Ireland", you kiddin me ?!!
With all due respect to Ireland and its fans, one must see this from an objective scope. Let the historical record speak for itself, and that phrase is like a gag in regards to the state of French Rugby.

I remember distinctly when the pools for 2015 came out, and perhaps naive at the time I said "it should be a walk in the park, we've got Ireland and Italy...". It wasn't arrogant, it was my true sentiment. It was at the time when France had beaten Australia 33-6 and had a really nice EOYT. Things looked really bright at the time, and nobody could've seen 2013, or even worse, 2014 coming.
Right now, we're in a position where "it would be an exploit to beat Ireland at the Stade de France" :lol: and it's that same Irish side we'll be fighting off NOT IN THE STADE DE FRANCE in a year and a half to avoid facing the New Zealand All-Blacks in the 1/4F, or simply pack up and gtfo of England.

HI-LAR-I-OUS. Hilarious. Hilarious

Screen shot 2014-03-10 at 3.54.57 PM.png

Note: of course in the equation, again, Ireland has dramatically improved in literally every sector of the game too. So way down for us, but way up for them...

Last edited:
Ugh I'm just so not confident about this game. I actually believed we would beat England, and I just feel this is a typical Ireland game to lose.
I hope Bowe can bring a spark into the backline, and if there's one player who could do that it's him.

France doesn't deserve to be champion. They were lucky to beat England and Scotland, in both games they played too bad. France wouldn't be a fair champion. I would like that Ireland = Champion, mostly by is the last BOD's game. If Ireland isn't the champion, the other team that deserves to be champion is England, which showed interesting things during the competition. It would be very unfair that France be champion, having played so bad.

Cheers

Have you....have you seen France play in the last two showings there Ulster ? France may squeeze out a win by some typically French BS way, I dunno they show up up front and resist the Irish insurgence, and a couple of backs score on a TO or a kick n chase, a risky pass from Sexton intercepted, God I dunno...

But to say you don't have confidence in an Irish team; that since the NZ game back in Nov. hasn't ceased to be utterly valiant and play with both tactical rigor and plenty of heart; going into a game against the worst French side history has to offer ??
I haven't seen the lineups yet, but there's about a 20% chance France can pull this off, with a hint of generosity in that number.

Ireland just don't win this thing very often, and Schmidt is going to want this win so badly he'll study the case like a geek for a whole week; BOD wants it badly, everybody will be singing his praises til the end of time in Ireland, I can read the headlines in this present moment already and it's fkn Monday:

"O'Driscoll immortalized: a hat-trick to begin the millennium in Paris, and a ***le to end his career in glorious European Rugby lore"..

There is...one detail: France are right in the middle of the most glorious confusion and unpredictability they've ever been in historically, just bathing in sheer chaos in all its most unstable culture.
There may be a 'personality' to this French team, but there isn't so much an 'identity'. Schmidt is a fine, fine tactician. But is there anything to really take in from France - in their highs, as in their lows ?

Surely Schmidt will find it awkward to prepare this game. While he knows there is an enormous, almost all-too-easy chance to seize here to win in the French capital, with a French side at the mercy of its opponents with no game plan in sight from acres out, he'll also find this will be the least comfortable to prepare.
Ireland just needs to play its game though.....regardless.....because it has one.

France doesn't deserve to be champion. They were lucky to beat England and Scotland, in both games they played too bad. France wouldn't be a fair champion. I would like that Ireland = Champion, mostly by is the last BOD's game. If Ireland isn't the champion, the other team that deserves to be champion is England, which showed interesting things during the competition. It would be very unfair that France be champion, having played so bad.

Cheers

Interesting!!!! its like saying its not fair bo hoo, bo hoo, he won millions on the lottery and he earns over 100k per year, this is sport my son there is nothing fair in sport you win you move on to the next game you win them all you win the Championship I will be the first to admit that France have played badly and won, so the teams they beat what are they??? France still have a chance as do Ireland and England, is that fair!!!! If France do win the Championship maybe they will add unfair on the trophy before they put France!!! Whatever next!!!!!

Yes I have watched France play, but somehow they're still in the run for the championship which could prove the difference in their attitude. They still beat the best team in Europe, England, and somehow beat Scotland when they were the inferior team.
I genuinely don't think France will play as abysmal as they have, they have too much quality and I just don't know if our backs can match theirs.
Ireland I don't think like the favourites tag, some of their best performances have been from the underdog stance. Emotions will be running high and I hope we don't get too carried away, especially BOD, who I feel may try and force things a little bit which could hinder us.
However, the biggest confidence I have is in Schmidt. Not just in his game plans, but the fact that the players look so much more motivated and willing to go out to play than they did with Kidney.

Ireland can beat France of course, I'm not denying that at all, it would be a great send off for BOD like everybody has repeated multiple times. I just hope the pressure and occasion don't get to us - it would be ****ty to not win with that huge points differential. The pressure on the other hand for France is pretty much off - they can go out and play knowing they could actually win the championship, with the knowledge that they've been one of the worst teams in the competition. It's almost like they've been given a second chance.

Yes I have watched France play, but somehow they're still in the run for the championship which could prove the difference in their attitude. They still beat the best team in Europe, England, and somehow beat Scotland when they were the inferior team.
I agree, with humility, that France still beat England whether there was luck on that high bounce on the 2nd Huget try or not. England were under pressure on both those Huget tries, and were well over spent trying to catch up with Szar and Fickou on the game-winner. England should've won the game earlier. I think the best sides in Europe though are England and Ireland, not England by itself.
Ireland has been ultra-consistent since the NZ, which they almost won btw, not smt England can claim against the Blacks. And they lost in Twickers by just 3, it was anybody's game. I feel England would suffer a heavier loss would they go play in Dublin.

I genuinely don't think France will play as abysmal as they have, they have too much quality and I just don't know if our backs can match theirs.
You know, I felt so too after Cardiff. That France will pick themselves up. But they go on and play even worse in MF. But this time, we get some starters back and we're home, so...a tad bit better.

Ireland I don't think like the favourites tag, some of their best performances have been from the underdog stance. Emotions will be running high and I hope we don't get too carried away, especially BOD, who I feel may try and force things a little bit which could hinder us.
I know exactly what you mean. The man may be a legend, but that play against Italy when he thinks he's Superman and literally runs the full width of the pitch, looking like smt amazing is about to happen, only to get hit hard...he's a great player, but he's such a showman and a huge head he might be on such an erection he'll attempt stupid things. All the better for France, I guess...

However, the biggest confidence I have is in Schmidt. Not just in his game plans, but the fact that the players look so much more motivated and willing to go out to play than they did with Kidney.
Yes, the Irish have found their Celtic bloodlust yet again. Only England plays with as much intensity in Europe atm.

Ireland can beat France of course, I'm not denying that at all, it would be a great send off for BOD like everybody has repeated multiple times. I just hope the pressure and occasion don't get to us - it would be ****ty to not win with that huge points differential. The pressure on the other hand for France is pretty much off - they can go out and play knowing they could actually win the championship, with the knowledge that they've been one of the worst teams in the competition. It's almost like they've been given a second chance.
a "second chance" ? try a third. And a fourth. And a fifth. But the pressure is there for them, always, as it's been since 2013. They've never been off the pressure. Online articles are lighting them up, the fans are absolutely eating them up every day for breakfast and only that bozo Saint-André seems serene. Make no mistake about it. France will be under pressure for sure, they have no plan, nothing to lean onto. And with all the changes week in week out - literally every match this year - they can't seem to even hold onto familiar combinations of any sort.
The pressure isn't on them. They ARE the pressure; i.e. the whole team
is a disaster waiting to happen, they've only survived it well enough so far.

answered in bold. Answered in blood.

Also: Fofana still missing, and our third row still won't look anything like it should. Burban added some weight there and a big tackler, pretty good fetcher. Nyanga was our hottest player, he's possibly still out. The injury list is long here, but I think we should play our SpringCoq Le Roux here. Ireland are just too clinical at the BD, we need some large arms in there and sheer mass.
Thank God Picamoles missed Murrayfield and not this one.

Thank the Lord Almighty Szar is back; reckon he should play a full 80min.

Maybe Parra returns to the Bleus after his suspension ? I mean, the hilarious thing is any other side would say: "change the SH, at this point in the tournament ??!?!?!?!!...it's too risky !!!" but it's not like France have a fkn gameplan in the first place, so it doesn't change anything in that regard. And then it brings us an actual test level boot, and good decisions on the pitch.

Basta will likely start again, but Mermoz at the other center spot ???...too late to try out Lamerat, I fear...

Ireland don't beat France.
It's written in stars we win with 1 of 2 scenarios:
1. Bod gets hat trick
2. We win in last few mins with Bod scoring or doing all work to create try/pen

Really think if we are accurate with our kicking and set piece and breakdown are fine then we will have too much

Latest posts