• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2013 TRC] South Africa vs. Argentina in Soweto (17/08/2013)

Never got the hate for vuvuzelas. They're so monotonous that I just block them out and forget they're there. Might be different if I was in the stadium and they were blasting in my ears though.

I have understood that it's a tradition to supporters of South African Football. Supporters of South African Rugby don't use vuvuzelas. Apparently there are more football supporters in Johannesburg that rugby supporters, although that is something that can respond better a South African.

Regards

This was a double header with Bafana Bafana (our national soccer team) playing Burkino Fasso prior to the Boks test with Argentina. That is why you saw so many yellow soccer jerseys in the stadium and the vuvuzela's which are a fixture in SA soccer games.

On the game itself.. I am almost disappointed in a way but for Argentina. I do think it'd be a mistake to read too much into this game and hope our boys aren't going into next week overconfident (but not too cautious either). For the most part I am happy with the set pieces and delighted with the improvements at the break down since that horror affair against Scotland which conjured up ghosts of RWC 2011 QF vs Aus.

These Pumas could beat Canada without problems. I would like to see Canada against Boks in Johannesburg...

Regards

As would I, we have only played South Africa twice, in the 1995 RWC(The battle of Boet Erasmus) 20-0 Final and a 51-18 Loss in East London in 2000....a match between the two is long overdue...

....in fact oddly enough since then South Africa have actually played Uruguay four times a, 39-3 win at the 1999 RWC, a 72-6 win at the 2003 RWC, a 134-3 win in 2005 and a 73-13 win today...

This was a double header with Bafana Bafana (our national soccer team) playing Burkino Fasso prior to the Boks test with Argentina. That is why you saw so many yellow soccer jerseys in the stadium and the vuvuzela's which are a fixture in SA soccer games.

On the game itself.. I am almost disappointed in a way but for Argentina. I do think it'd be a mistake to read too much into this game and hope our boys aren't going into next week overconfident (but not too cautious either). For the most part I am happy with the set pieces and delighted with the improvements at the break down since that horror affair against Scotland which conjured up ghosts of RWC 2011 QF vs Aus.

My favourite crowd member was this dude

ie4XCm8.jpg

Why the dictionary? :lol:

Last edited:
As would I, we have only played South Africa twice, in the 1995 RWC(The battle of Boet Erasmus) 20-0 Final and a 51-18 Loss in East London in 2000....a match between the two is long overdue...

....in fact oddly enough since then South Africa have actually played Uruguay four times a, 39-3 win at the 1999 RWC, a 72-6 win at the 2003 RWC, a 134-3 win in 2005 and a 73-13 win today...
Hohoho now now LG...

All the things that could possibly go wrong for us have happened in this awful day. I am really concerned about the next match since many of our important players are injured and we don't have decent players to replace them.. So the next match against Boks might be the same score or even worst.

About the game, there's no much to say, Boks played amazing and we sucked. I've to admit that I turned out the TV around min 65 cause I literally could'nt stand watching it anymore (vuvuzelas help me made that decision).

These Pumas could beat Canada without problems. I would like to see Canada against Boks in Johannesburg...

Regards

well that's terribly uncalled for...
Anyways: right, didn't realize they had those other two injured (besides Lobbe).
But I couldn't believe the 66-6 score when I first came on. I mean taking 70+ points ?...but when the hell are all three forwards coming back then ?

Ok, I already told what happened in my opinion: "Argentina don't have their best forwards last year and they don't have good replacements". In a situation like that against a tough team, the result seems logical.

People who have played the game know that when lose 3 good forwards and you don't have good replacements, these misfortunes happen. If you lose: "The battle of the forwards", the game is lost and there is nothing to do.

Regards

A lot of the missed tackled and shambolic defence were more than simply missing 3 forwards. SA were walking over them in every single aspect of the game. When England lost to Wales, was missing Corbisiero and Morgan a valid excuse for what was even less of a thrashing? England were outplayed everywhere. It was no different today with Argentina. There wasn't a single aspect of the game where they even came close to matching SA.

well that's terribly uncalled for...
Anyways: right, didn't realize they had those other two injured (besides Lobbe).
But I couldn't believe the 66-6 score when I first came on. I mean taking 70+ points ?...but when the hell are all three forwards coming back then ?

Roncero is retired, Albacete and Fernandez Lobbe I don't know when they will recover. I hope news this week.

Regards

A lot of the missed tackled and shambolic defence were more than simply missing 3 forwards. SA were walking over them in every single aspect of the game. When England lost to Wales, was missing Corbisiero and Morgan a valid excuse for what was even less of a thrashing? England were outplayed everywhere. It was no different today with Argentina. There wasn't a single aspect of the game where they even came close to matching SA.

England have more number of good players that Argentina. It was demonstrated in tests of June when the team faced Argentina alternative team against England alternative team, England was better.

One reason is that RFU have professional tournament (Aviva Premiership) with good professional teams like: Leicester Tigers, Saracens, Northampton Saints, Harlequins and others. Argentina don't have something like that.

Regards

Last edited:
They just put us on our place, and remind us that we have a longer way that we thought!!! The thing is to keep growing, and this disappointment can temper Pumas character. The result well be seen next week at Mendoza. Not say they will win but could be a great improvement.

One of those days for Argentina. Just like when Italy entered the 6 nations it looks like Argentina are entering the rugby championship just when they're going downhill. Also their players playing all over the place doesn't help as well as not playing for months coming up against match fit players.

I think the vuvuzelas make a very annoying sound. Don't know why people like them. I do like the sound of the cowbells you hear in NZ though. People can make noise without it going overboard.

I still don't get why people insist on compare us with Italy. Six Nations and Rugby Championship are very different from each other.

One of those days for Argentina. Just like when Italy entered the 6 nations it looks like Argentina are entering the rugby championship just when they're going downhill. Also their players playing all over the place doesn't help as well as not playing for months coming up against match fit players.

I think the vuvuzelas make a very annoying sound. Don't know why people like them. I do like the sound of the cowbells you hear in NZ though. People can make noise without it going overboard.

This. I wouldn't even mind the vuvuzuela's if they were used in some sort of meaningful way eg. every one blows them after a score or a great tackle, but it's just bored, obnoxious fans making random noise. I would love to know the mindset of a fan who uses one at a game, you've got to not give a flying rat's ass about fellow spectator's on either TV or especially in the Stadium with you.

shame & anger, I told it here in the last RC: Phelan go home!!! you destroyed the only good thing that Pumas had, their defense *@!#/ grrrrrrrrr

shame & anger, I told it here in the last RC: Phelan go home!!! you destroyed the only good thing that Pumas had, their defense *@!#/ grrrrrrrrr

Argentina's defense in RWC 2011 was incredible, they were 60 minutes without receiving tries against All Blacks and the head coach was Phelan.

Argentina's defense last year in the first Rugby Championship was also amazing, only suffered many points against All Blacks playing at La Plata, in the other games their defense was good and the head coach was Phelan.

Then, Phelan is not the problem.

Regards

Last edited:
It's not that complicated to understand, Argentina don't have their best forwards last year, they did a great job on defense in the first Rugby Championship, they don't have the top 3.

Rodrigo Roncero (prop): He's retired
Patricio Albacete (lock): Injured
Fernandez Lobbe (flanker): Injured

They don't have the same level forwards to replace them, that's why Pumas Scrum suffered both tests against England in last june and suffered so much today against Boks forwards.

Regards
Agreed, to a point.
We had a particularly bad game, in every sense of the word. I can't conceive us having a worse performance.
At the 30th minute mark, although we were only down by 3, we were playing painfully bad. Our line was dreadful to watch. After the first try and the yellow card, we lost the plot, completely.
I've seen more effort put into tackling in 12 year old amateurs.
Sad but true.

I still don't get why people insist on compare us with Italy. Six Nations and Rugby Championship are very different from each other.
AS much as i hate to say this, isn't it obvious?

Both are similar styled competitions.
Both Argentina and Italy were late joiners.
Both Argentina and Italy are relatively weaker than the other participants.
Italy has 9 wooden spoons out of 14 participations. Argentina hasn't won a single game so far and has never beaten 2 neither South Africa nor New Zealand.

Latest posts