• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2013 TRC] New Zealand vs South Africa in Auckland (14/09/2013)

Good analysis. The missed tackle stat is going to be what determines this one... Both teams are defending very well at the moment, and I reckon we might only see one try in this game. Unfortunately though, I see New Zealand scoring it. I just hope we can at least give them one hell of a go at it.

Am I the only one hoping for a wet game??

Hmm. I wonder if bad weather is likely. Will look at weather prediction closer to Saturday.

I'm actually not entirely convinced bad weather will favour us. My reasoning is that the NZ players are more accustomed to playing in rain and cold by simple dint of NZ being colder and wetter than SA and it will effect our player's handling before it does theirs. That said if it really does **** down and ball in hand rugby is totally out of the picture I can see it helping us out big time, yeah as I expect us to have the better set piece and fare better keeping the ball amongst the pack and then hope Steyn's boot can make it count. Maul it all the way.

According to Supersport, the biggest concern the Boks have at the moment is the Referee. Romain Poite, who was in charge when the Boks played Scotland earlier in the year. So adapting to him will be key...

Good analysis. The missed tackle stat is going to be what determines this one... Both teams are defending very well at the moment, and I reckon we might only see one try in this game. Unfortunately though, I see New Zealand scoring it. I just hope we can at least give them one hell of a go at it.

I agree. I'd personally imagine a relatively low score. Both teams ARE defending superbly, it's true. But I do believe SA will get theirs too. Perhaps 2 tries to 1 NZ is what'll happen. NZ are just so amazingly above everyone with their attack, at home it's almost impossible to contain them a whole 80min, and they're more athletic than SA as a whole and I see a couple of big breaks. Saffas will score a try off a forwards play. They may score 2, I mean, they DO have a pretty decent advantage forwards-wise.

I agree. I'd personally imagine a relatively low score. Both teams ARE defending superbly, it's true. But I do believe SA will get theirs too. Perhaps 2 tries to 1 NZ is what'll happen. NZ are just so amazingly above everyone with their attack, at home it's almost impossible to contain them a whole 80min, and they're more athletic than SA as a whole and I see a couple of big breaks. Saffas will score a try off a forwards play. They may score 2, I mean, they DO have a pretty decent advantage forwards-wise.

Yeo, how about a little something aside between gentleman; you say low scores and few tries. While I am certainly not expecting it I am saying SA to outscore NZ ITO tries.. a little wager, nothing too serious?

maybe even something as simple as the other becoming devotees (even if forced!) even acolytes of the other's team; my 2nd team becomes France ahead of Ireland and whoever and your's SA ahead of NZ, Aus and whoever else you cheer ahead of us.

Last edited:
All Blacks seem to play very well here at Eden Park, so for that reason I'm going to go for the ABs.

The score is always difficult to pick, I'm going to go for NZ 25 SA 24.

All Blacks seem to play very well here at Eden Park, so for that reason I'm going to go for the ABs.

The score is always difficult to pick, I'm going to go for NZ 25 SA 24.

Yeah true.

But with the Bulls winning for the first time ever at the same venue earlier this year, I just have a feeling we will sneak it.

Yeo, how about a little something aside between gentleman; you say low scores and few tries. While I am certainly not expecting it I am saying SA to outscore NZ ITO tries.. a little wager, nothing too serious?

maybe even something as simple as the other becoming devotees (even if forced!) even acolytes of the other's team; my 2nd team becomes France ahead of Ireland and whoever and your's SA ahead of NZ, Aus and whoever else you cheer ahead of us.

WOW !! dude I'm just stating what my mind gives me. I have absolutely no pretension of having analyzed this and observed both teams meticulously or anything...I mean I've seen some of the last few games but I'm just throwing an opinion out there, I think some of it is objectively correct, while some of it may turn out to be close to BS.
I mean I like the Boks, but I'm not a huge huge fan.

So the bet is: Boks score MORE TRIES than NZ ? Not who wins, yeh.
OK sure, I'll bet NZ out-tries SA. What if they score as many apiece ? Then nobody wins.

I'm a France first, then Italy/Argentina, Australia, Ireland guy...
but Okay, let's do it lol. Bet is onnnn, brother !

On your side of the bet though, one thing is implied: NZ are clearly not going try-less the whole 80min at home, so this means SA needs to score at least 2 tries, most probably...we'll see, it's definitely possible, don't get me wrong !

WOW !! dude I'm just stating what my mind gives me. I have absolutely no pretension of having analyzed this and observed both teams meticulously or anything...I mean I've seen some of the last few games but I'm just throwing an opinion out there, I think some of it is objectively correct, while some of it may turn out to be close to BS.
I mean I like the Boks, but I'm not a huge huge fan.

So the bet is: Boks score MORE TRIES than NZ ? Not who wins, yeh.
OK sure, I'll bet NZ out-tries SA. What if they score as many apiece ? Then nobody wins.

I'm a France first, then Italy/Argentina, Australia, Ireland guy...
but Okay, let's do it lol. Bet is onnnn, brother !

On your side of the bet though, one thing is implied: NZ are clearly not going try-less the whole 80min at home, so this means SA needs to score at least 2 tries, most probably...we'll see, it's definitely possible, don't get me wrong !

LOL. Just for some fun. Yes; most tries is the deal. That is mainly your point wasn't it; that SA might edge it but aren't very capable of scoring tries. I just have a feeling... but then again it might just be the Indian food I had as an early lunch.

For some reason I get an odd almost perverse glee at the idea of you having to cheer on and defend the Bok's honour on this forum... for at least the remainder of the year though of course I wouldn't expect you to do so ahead of France later on in the year.

A tie for tries of course means there is no result ITO this exercise. FYI I would cheer on France only behind SA, Ireland and strangely Samoa and Argentina (of tier 1 nations).

Last edited:
Some nice contribution here guys.
Coming from a different angle as the rest have been discussed to it's max

What could make teams loose:

Bokke:
Not adjusting to the ref in terms off competing for the loose ball. If he blows last last time we have to change the way our loosies compete and must protect Ruan Pienaar (who will play btw) a lot more. Not adjusting will make the All Black win the loose exchanges and nullify the stronger Bok pack - Refer to Scotland earlier and Mendosa tests
If the Boks get rattled - and if I was the All Blacks coach I would target, Vermeulen, Etsebeth and Bismark du Plessis, know for short fuses and like to get involved, unsettle them and they don't focus on the game.
Focus the penetration point on JJ Engelbreght, weak point on defense and/or try milk the interceptions to create overlaps

All Blacks:
Nonu having a moment and getting a yellow card.
All Blacks trying to speed up the game and being over optimistic on attack.
Trying to out muscle the Boks
Fail at their tactical plan

Last edited:
LOL. Just for some fun. Yes; most tries is the deal. That is mainly your point wasn't it; that SA might edge it but aren't very capable of scoring tries. I just have a feeling... but then again it might just be the Indian food I had as an early lunch.

For some reason I get an odd almost perverse glee at the idea of you having to cheer on and defend the Bok's honour on this forum... for at least the remainder of the year though of course I wouldn't expect you to do so ahead of France later on in the year.

A tie for tries of course means there is no result ITO this exercise. FYI I would cheer on France only behind SA, Ireland and strangely Samoa and Argentina (of tier 1 nations).

So if you win, can the deal be that yoe gets Banned from the forum?

If yoe wins, he can stay??

Sounds like a good deal.

Yes, indian food WILL upset your GI tract and digestive system. And we all know the digestive system and the soul are but one. I mean it just goes without uhh...YES, I mean......yes - that is my point precisely. Big strengths while try scoring (i.e. backs breaking lines, full width passing sequences, beating defense with good technical foot work) is not a plus. And the Boks may suffer from that, maybe big forwards and defense aren't enough in Eden.

lool You disgusting, sadistic scoundrel !! And that's right, we'll have to place another bet when that happens then perhaps in Nov !

That's perfectly acceptable in my book. Just please never put France behind England : p

I have replied to your message...INSIDE the message itself. It's...pretty insanely brilliant.

I have replied to your message...INSIDE the message itself. It's...pretty insanely brilliant.

How the hell do I respond to that!?!...

- I have a fondness for food with character.. food that makes one's soul ache as much as one's rectum. I understand that connection perfectly so you have no need to explain yourself on that front.

- Is your implication that the Bokke do none of those? Certainly we don't do it as well, as often and off constructed play as the AB's do but I do feel we are being underrated in that regard by most. I think the PdV era did our rugby and the perception of our rugby a lot of harm so I can understand to some extent when outsiders dismiss our approach. I can only hope we challenge that perception effectively on the field and I think we have done so to some extent and that you'll join our ranks soon enough..

- You name the wager in November. I am game.

- I won't even respond.. pfft, cheering on Engla.. engl.. I can't finish my sentence!

How the hell do I respond to that!?!...

- I have a fondness for food with character.. food that makes one's soul ache as much as one's rectum. I understand that connection perfectly so you have no need to explain yourself on that front.

- Is your implication that the Bokke do none of those? Certainly we don't do it as well, as often and off constructed play as the AB's do but I do feel we are being underrated in that regard by most. I think the PdV era did our rugby and the perception of our rugby a lot of harm so I can understand to some extent when outsiders dismiss our approach. I can only hope we challenge that perception effectively on the field and I think we have done so to some extent and that you'll join our ranks soon enough..

- You name the wager in November. I am game.

- I won't even respond.. pfft, cheering on Engla.. engl.. I can't finish my sentence!

lol
and boy, just finished watching the NZ ARG match. Argies kept NZ try-less for a loooong time in the 2nd half, didn't break during the last 20min, excellent sign. The scrums though, NZ got flat out pushed back on at least 3 occasions, with other good pushes too.
SA may have a good day in the scrum in Auckland, better than we think.