• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2013 TRC] New Zealand vs South Africa in Auckland (14/09/2013)

Some minor added incentive; if we win by 15+ we go top of the IRB rankings.

huh....that still means NOTHING on my awesome "Real Top 10" thread...

But yes however, it will definitely be cool to watch the Boks really compete in this one. They've shown some great ability in some of the past 5, 6 matches, so there are no excuses here. They MUST compete in this one, they just can't afford to lose by 20.
And boy, NZ hasn't lost in a WHILE at home, ey ?

I'd imagine SA to have an edge in the scrum. They may push hard in the rucks and the breakdown overall and the physicality and strength of their forwards may be another edge. And then their backs aren't too shabby either, but SA still isn't near NZ, not even close, in terms of creativity on attack.
NZ still have a huge advantage there, and have a good enough defense to shut down SA the whole game not scoring more than 1 try. The turn-over ball will be huge for NZ, as it always is, but more so here as they are globally quicker than the Boks.
The breakdown will be absolutely huge in this one, a very important and capital sector of the match I reckon, and McCaw will be dearly missed - not making excuses for NZ, just stating fact.

But yes however, it will definitely be cool to watch the Boks really compete in this one. They've shown some great ability in some of the past 5, 6 matches, so there are no excuses here. They MUST compete in this one, they just can't afford to lose by 20.

I'd imagine SA to have an edge in the scrum. They may push hard in the rucks and the breakdown overall and the physicality and strength of their forwards may be another edge. And then their backs aren't too shabby either, but SA still isn't near NZ, not even close, in terms of creativity on attack.
NZ still have a huge advantage there, and have a good enough defense to shut down SA the whole game not scoring more than 1 try. The turn-over ball will be huge for NZ, as it always is, but more so here as they are globally quicker than the Boks.
The breakdown will be absolutely huge in this one, a very important and capital sector of the match I reckon, and McCaw will be dearly missed - not making excuses for NZ, just stating fact.

We don't need to be creative. Our Forwards have been doing the job so well, that creativity wasn't necessary. That said, guys like Habana and Willie Le Roux have shown signs of creativity, and most of the time it has paid off, in one way or another.

One thing that was missing for me against the Australians, was the rolling maul. And this has been working very well for the SA teams against the NZ teams during the Super Rugby tournament.

Here is my match ups:
Beast>Woodcock
Bismarck>Hore
Jannie>Faumuina
Etzebeth=Retallick
Flip<Whitelock
Flouw>Cane
Alberts=Luatua
Vermeulen<Reid (marginal)

Pienaar<Smith
Morne<Carter
Habana=Savea
JDV>Saili
JJ<Conrad Smith
Willie=Ben Smith
Zane<Izzy Dagg

We don't need to be creative. Our Forwards have been doing the job so well, that creativity wasn't necessary. That said, guys like Habana and Willie Le Roux have shown signs of creativity, and most of the time it has paid off, in one way or another.

yeh I know. But I'm saying NZ have a clear advantage there. SA hasn't looked scary on attack in "big games" for a while. I know they've scored a bunch of tries against Italy, Samoa and more recently Argentina at home, but though they had a few against Australia the other day they were struggling on attack. It was due to lapses from Australia on defense that SA got those tries. Habana never looked threatening..I'm just saying, SA could improve a lot in that department, as especially for this match-up I think they sure could use some good backs play. The forwards and scrums and rucks may not be enough.

yeh I know. But I'm saying NZ have a clear advantage there. SA hasn't looked scary on attack in "big games" for a while. I know they've scored a bunch of tries against Italy, Samoa and more recently Argentina at home, but though they had a few against Australia the other day they were struggling on attack. It was due to lapses from Australia on defense that SA got those tries. Habana never looked threatening..I'm just saying, SA could improve a lot in that department, as especially for this match-up I think they sure could use some good backs play. The forwards and scrums and rucks may not be enough.

Uhm, This past week's game was a very big game. in fact the Biggest since last year's Rugby Championship. And we scored 4 tries!! in Oz!!

How can we not look threatening?? Not even the All Blacks could put 70 points against Argentina?? The All Blacks Couldn't win the Aussies by four tries in Oz... You are not making sense...

Every coach will get stick.

But you have to give it to HM. He loves the Bokke, that passion he shows in the coaching boks is something you don't see too often.

I thought it was immensely funny when you could see HM screaming his lungs out, then they cut to McKenzie, and clear as day you could see him say 'f*** me'. Bit of a stupid move sitting next to the crowd at a game where you get whooped. He must have copped some stick sitting out there by his lonesome.

Hahaha, yeah that was hillarious! HM screaming "Go Willie, Go Willie" and every time they show Ewen, he just gives a short "**** Me"

HM in the coach's box was hugely entertaining, yeah. So too Link but in a sad way. Are the Aussies missing Deans? Probably too early to tell yet and there is only so much a coach can do about the new scrum setup.

I have some issues here.. sure SA have to be able to beat NZ 3/4 of the time in the year and next year to be truly considered at top spot- we'll have t wait and see on that score and that is one tough assignment. I don't think the NZ players are quicker than ours globally; Etzebeth has an insane time for the 100m for a guy his size and then there is Habana and JJ Engelbrecht who are certainly faster than the fastest NZ player. What does speed matter in the front row? IMO it is onl our backrow that are a bit lacking in the pace department but they tend to make up for it in the tight. Our halves are too slow for me, there I agree with you, but remember we are missing FdP, an on-form Hougaard and Johan Goosen ATM. If Jaco Taute weren't injured and was there for us at 15 we'd have a distinct speed advantage in the back three. JdV has regained a lot of pace as well and I'd be surprised if he couldn't outstrip Nonu and Smith in a foot race.

As for creativity, well a lot of that has to do with a tendency to avoid risk rather than not being creative IMO (though I do agree that creativity/ball in hand is a hallmark of NZ rugby- just watch any ITM game vs CC and this does translate at test level). I think SA gets a lot of undue flack but it might just be my Bok bias. HM seems to be getting the most out of his players whereas we were shafted by politics when PdV was appointed.

Last edited:
Should be a great game to watch. If SA comes in with there heads on I think an upset could happen.

SA tactics allow them to break teams and capitalize in the last 20 mins. They also traveled well to AUS this year. NZ are playing well, but they need a loss to wake them up and get them going again.

JDV has made this a TEAM. They talk to each other lots, tons of communication, you can see there is a lot of trust and faith in each other.

As for creativity, well a lot of that has to do with a tendency to avoid risk rather than not being creative IMO (though I do agree that creativity/ball in hand is a hallmark of NZ rugby- just watch any ITM game vs CC and this does translate at test level). I think SA gets a lot of undue flack but it might just be my Bok bias. HM seems to be getting the most out of his players whereas we were shafted by politics when PdV was appointed.

About the speed point: I'd say just overall NZ are a quicker machine, wasn't talking about the footspeed of specific individuals like wingers. South Africa right now is a huge problem for teams because of their forwards.
And creativity, I'm not criticizing SA from an artistic standpoint of course, in case that's what is potentially implied here: but I mean though they have good backs, on attack they strike in a rather linear fashion. Pass, ruck, SH move the ball - repeat, repeat, and the forwards gain good field with their strength, and then some back will find a hole at some point usually not far from the 22.
My only point is, it doesn't matter if it works and they win, but they sure wouldn't suffer from some more fluid movement on attack.
And I point that out on this thread particularly because it MIGHT be that all their qualities alone won't cut it against the Blacks, and I'm curious to see how their backs perform.

Hi Guys. I'm on debut. I've been following (and enjoying) your comments for a while and thought its time to start participating.

So amped for Saturdays game. The boks are definitely underdogs, but if they manage to pull off a win, things can get real interesting. IMO this game is crucial in terms of the battle for no. 1 in world rankings. If we win this one, the dog fight begins for the next 2 years. Loose though and we will have to wait another year to challenge the all black dynasty which has been dominant since their 2011 world cup victory. They have been no. 1 for 4 years now, which is annoying to put it lightly and not good for rugby in general.

Love the balance the boks have managed to find between being solid in defense and in set pieces with hints at creativity which has not yet been unleashed. Will keep the all blacks on their toes.

biggest game of rugby so far this year for sure

Shame McCaw wont be involved, I think that will give the boks a psychological boost I mean any team coming up against an AB team with McCaw and carter fit probably only has a 5-10% chance of winning, that changes when one or both of them are out.

For the ABs
I like how Read is starting to come into some form again, this should be the biggest game of his carrier so far. Captian against the Boks at Eden Park
Selection issues of the good kind to ponder at 6, I hope Messam gets the nod I think his style of game will be more suited for this one and added experience is important with McCaw out. Stopping Sprinbok forwards on or behind the gain line is going to be critical and that is Messams Game, much more so than Luatua.
Carter is key as always I mean if he has a good game then the ABs will win its as simple as that.
Aaron Smith has been prety damn awesome and looks like he is playing with authority and leadership. Man I love seeing him pull team mate forwards off the ground and shout at them, be their eyes. Really playing like he belongs.
Really want to see big games from Nonu and Dagg they have been a bit quiet while Ben Smith, Conrad Smith and Savea have been fantastic.
Retalick and Whitelock have been epic, kinda a little worried about their workload, I guess I shouldn't be I mean Retalick is maybe the fittest lock in the world and whitelock is not far off.
Also think this is one of those games Hore may shine in, we need some presence at the breakdown with McCaw gone, was a couple years ago Hore was man of the match in this encounter and he's due for something similar.

Huge test for same cane, another chance for him to step out of McCaws shadow and i think he generally fears well against South African Teams. Need a 20 tackle game from him and his running game, his established combo with Messam Will be important.

It will be close so the bench will be critical. I persionally would like to see Luatua as lock cover and Matt Todd on the bench as well, with the likes of Barrett, coles and Piutau it will be a genuine high impact bench which has worked for the ABs in the past.

One thing that was missing for me against the Australians, was the rolling maul. And this has been working very well for the SA teams against the NZ teams during the Super Rugby tournament.

Here is my match ups:
Beast>Woodcock
Bismarck>Hore
Jannie>Faumuina
Etzebeth=Retallick
Flip<Whitelock
Flouw>Cane
Alberts=Luatua
Vermeulen<Reid (marginal)

Pienaar<Smith
Morne<Carter
Habana=Savea
JDV>Saili
JJ<Conrad Smith
Willie=Ben Smith
Zane<Izzy Dagg

I think we will see Nonu back in this game, might also see Messam starting and Luatua off the bench.
Wont comment on the forwards because I am just not that familiar with the SA players (no doubt will be quite familiar by Saturday night though! - you've likely got those match ups right though although I'd have Read any day so might argue that one isn't "marginal") In the backs though (from a biased Kiwi perspective) I would argue Willie<Ben Smith and Habana (who I massively respect as one of the better wingers the world has seen) I would argue is < Savea these days.

On the game at hand...First and foremost it is clear the Ozzies are poop so I'm not sure we can read much into the quality of either the NZ or SA performances against them. Given that it makes this match up between SA and ABs very intriguing as I think there are a lot of unknowns. What we do know though is that Eden Park will be a very tough place for the SAs to get a win. I would say the SAs will try and take us on up front, I sometimes think they over do this and forget to use their backs, but we will see on the day how they approach it. You'd imagine the SA will have the edge in the scrum, and maybe in the forwards overall, but will that be enough to counter the points the the creativity of the NZ backs create? McCaw is a massive loss as well but I think Carter will step up as he always does in the big games (I belive these days he plays at about 80% most of the time - but steps up to 110% when needed. Watch how much more he takes on the line when it's a big game).

I think NZ will win, but only just. Unless proved otherwise IMHO NZ is still the best team in the world, they are generally more skilled than their opponents, they know how to score points and know how to win.

That being said, I am extrememly nervous about this match. Hugely respect these SA lads and think they hvae every chance of upsetting the ABs at home. Looking forward to thte game.

Selection issues of the good kind to ponder at 6, I hope Messam gets the nod I think his style of game will be more suited for this one and added experience is important with McCaw out. Stopping Sprinbok forwards on or behind the gain line is going to be critical and that is Messams Game, much more so than Luatua.
Carter is key as always I mean if he has a good game then the ABs will win its as simple as that.
Aaron Smith has been prety damn awesome and looks like he is playing with authority and leadership. Man I love seeing him pull team mate forwards off the ground and shout at them, be their eyes. Really playing like he belongs.

On Messam I agree completely. I hope he starts (and think he will). He will be integral in stopping ome of the Bok forward momentum.

On Aaron Smith - I agree, thought I would add one of my observations from the last game. I watched him pretty closel on defense and saw that in one movement he litereally pulled Faumuina up by his jersey out of two different rucks yelling at him to get back into the D line. He is certainly bring leadership and energy to the team that is above and beyond past seasons.

Also just heard that Nonu is definately fit for this game.

does anyone think SA can grind this one out and come away with a win ?
IF their backs can't break the AB line, they'll have to rely on defending/containing the Blacks and then offensively play the big guys up front and ruck their way to the touch line..
Blacks' defense looks very, VERY focused, efficient and downright impressive these days...

It will be a close game and I wouldn't be surprised if we only see 2 tries in total. I think it's a toss-up but NZ will win. If SA can get a bonus point out of the loss, things look up with 2 remaining games at home.

does anyone think SA can grind this one out and come away with a win ?
IF
their backs can't break the AB line, they'll have to rely on defending/containing the Blacks and then offensively play the big guys up front and ruck their way to the touch line..
Blacks' defense looks very, VERY focused, efficient and downright impressive these days...

I think it is possible BUT one would imagine that would rely on a dominant forward pack, penalties going their way, and a poorish performance from the ABs (therefore chances are slim). What I have never understood is that IF SA were to dominate in the forward enough to potentially grind out a win, why not get the ball out to their backs and take advantage of front foot ball, score some points and REALLY put presure on the ABs. It is riskier but I think the SA backs are talented enough and the risk/reward is greater than just hoping to grind out a win.

I think it is possible BUT one would imagine that would rely on a dominant forward pack, penalties going their way, and a poorish performance from the ABs (therefore chances are slim). What I have never understood is that IF SA were to dominate in the forward enough to potentially grind out a win, why not get the ball out to their backs and take advantage of front foot ball, score some points and REALLY put presure on the ABs. It is riskier but I think the SA backs are talented enough and the risk/reward is greater than just hoping to grind out a win.

well...they'll likely try that. But my whole point is I don't think they have the touch on attack and precision for that. Again, they've certainly got speed in them backs' legs, no problem there. It's just NZ will immediately recover from defending the ruck in this instance, and regroup and deny the backs attempts, and SA haven't stringed a whole lot of full width sequences relying so much on other tactics so far.
I'll really be watching those Saffa backs next week...but the focus WILL be up front.

On Messam I agree completely. I hope he starts (and think he will). He will be integral in stopping ome of the Bok forward momentum.

On Aaron Smith - I agree, thought I would add one of my observations from the last game. I watched him pretty closel on defense and saw that in one movement he litereally pulled Faumuina up by his jersey out of two different rucks yelling at him to get back into the D line. He is certainly bring leadership and energy to the team that is above and beyond past seasons.

Also just heard that Nonu is definately fit for this game.

i saw that too, was awesome!! also in the wallabies game the week before he did the same, you can even hear him screaming from the tv. he has become a little general, and that is in contrast to genia, not a squeek coming from him.

on a completely unrelated note, did anyone notice how smartass genia spoke to the ref sat night. horwill does the same too, they treat the ref like absolute junk... in contrast to richie or read, true gentleman

well...they'll likely try that. But my whole point is I don't think they have the touch on attack and precision for that. Again, they've certainly got speed in them backs' legs, no problem there. It's just NZ will immediately recover from defending the ruck in this instance, and regroup and deny the backs attempts, and SA haven't stringed a whole lot of full width sequences relying so much on other tactics so far.
I'll really be watching those Saffa backs next week...but the focus WILL be up front.

Right, I see what you are saying. To you oriniginal quation, my answer is still yes. I think they can grind out a win in that way, I just think at Eden Park they will lose maybe 8 times out of 10 if that's their approach and there could be better options in terms of tactics for the SAs.

I'd like to hear our SA experts opinions on this, but with the dominance SA has up front their backs should be having a field day. Stand with a bit more depth, have runners at various angles (decoy or not), bring Kirchner and/or the blindside winger into the line more, and direct Steyn to pass and run more frequently. I would have thought SA would have a lot of success, but clearly they feel they are better off employing alternative tactics. I would love to see them take a bit more risk against NZ and see how they go though - nothing to lose playing NZ at Eden Park I think.

I expect to see SA turn up in this game. They have been absent the last couple of years imo. Also will see a solid rolling maul from them as NZ sides had no answer to it in super15.

I also expect to see Aaron Smith far less effective than he has been against Aus and Arg.

With Mccaw out and if the SA pack and loosies gets on top of us this could be a really intresting game.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2013/09/10/the-siege-of-eden-park/

1. Form
The form guide is rather simple. South Africa looked better against England at Twickenham (the All Blacks were hammered physically); against Argentina, at home (9 tries to 1), than New Zealand did (a laboring win); and against Australia (the Boks got the bonus point in Australia and it could easily have been worse, but for a couple of handling errors).
The Bok pack looked more powerful than the All Black forwards against Argentina. And Morne Steyn looks like he is having one of those sweet-striking, huge range, kind of seasons; the All Blacks have been a bit disjointed at the number ten playmaker.

2. The players
There are six groups of players in a Test rugby match:
• The front row
• The locks
• The loose trio
• The halfback duo
• The centers
• The back three

There is very little to choose from, between the two rivals, even with both teams missing half a dozen top-flight players, each.

Front Row (edge â€" Springboks)

South Africa has the edge here. Jannie du Plessis, Bismarck du Plessis, and Beast Mtatawira look like the new scrum rules were designed for them. Around the park, Bismarck has been like an extra loose forward.
Their replacements, Coenie Oosthuizen, Adriaan Strauss, and Gurthrö Steenkamp are actually bigger as a trio, and Strauss is in the form of his life.
Literally, Bismarck and Strauss are the consensus top two hookers in the world.
New Zealand has an accomplished group of front-rowers to choose from: Ben Franks, Charlie Faumunia, Tony Woodcock, and Wyatt Crockett.
They did not look as comfortable as the Boks did against the Argentine scrum machine (and did not massacre the Wallabies’ front row as comprehensively as the Springboks did).
But it’s at number two that South Africa has the edge. Andrew Hore is busy at ruck-time, but both he and Dane Coles are wobbly at line-out time (this is not evident against Argentina, who do not challenge in the air), and simply don’t match-up well with the Boks’ abrasive hookers, who carry the ball with speed and power, and are game-changers.

Locks (even)

South Africa has one complete lock, as does New Zealand. Eben Etzebeth is very young, but he ticks all the boxes for a world XV lock: at line-out, he takes and steals, at scrum, he is fantastically strong, in the tight-loose, he is a big scary monster, in the loose, he can gallop and handle, and he can play all 80 minutes.
But you can say the very same things about Sam Whitelock, except Whitelock is even better in open play, and maybe not as strong as Etzebeth in mauls or the tackle. Who isn’t looking forward to Etzebeth versus Whitelock? I doubt either will take a backward step.
So it comes down to the other guys in the second row. South Africa can start Juandré Kruger, a lanky athlete who is mostly a line-out expert and open-play man (he snagged Bryan Habana’s chip kick, one-handed, at speed, to create Jean de Villiers’ try against Australia); or bring the grunt with Flip van der Merwe (also good at line-out, but more of a coal-face miner than a footballer).
New Zealand has Brodie Retaillack, Jeremy Thrush, and Luke Romano to complement Whitelock; they force the same sort of mongrel versus skill-man choice.
This is a wash, with the wild card being the maul. The Boks set up mauls better than anyone but the All Blacks collapse them best.

Loose Forwards (edge â€" Springboks, only because McCaw is absent)

No loose trio is playing as cohesively as the Boks’ back three right now.
At number eight, Kieren Read is the only man outplaying the Boks’ physical, but smart Duane Vermuelen.
But as a unit, the combination of Vermuelen, Willem Alberts, and Francois Louw is in top form.
Alberts crosses the gain line every time, and with Richie McCaw out, Louw should have the experience and heft to trump Sam Cane on the deck.
New Zealand has a tough call between Liam Messam and Steven Luatua (a revelation). I’m guessing Messam will be used, to try to stop the blunt force trauma of Alberts and Luatua will come on when the game opens up.
I think the real advantage in the loosies is on defence. I don’t think the All Blacks have played as good a defensive squad as the Boks, in a while (since 2009?) Vermuelen-Alberts-Louw can really bring the wood; and drive back the big Kiwi ball-carriers.
They’ll even get to Carter and Nonu at times.
This is an edge for South Africa, but only due to McCaw’s injury.

Halfbacks (clear New Zealand superiority)

The only advantage at nine/ten that South Africa has is goal-kicking and punting power of Morne Steyn and Ruan Pienaar.
Dan Carter and Aaron Smith are a lethal duo. Aaron Smith in particular (as are all other Smiths in the team) is playing out of his mind. His quickness will give the pedestrian Pienaar problems.
His box kicks are getting better. He is a real fighter on defence. Dan Carter is Dan Carter.
South Africa cannot match these two players, without Fourie du Preez back in South Africa, a prisoner of his Japanese club contract.
All that Steyn and Pienaar can do is make their tackles (they are solid), be accurate kicking out of hand and off the tee, and use quick ball.
This is the matrix of the New Zealand game plan, and even if Carter limps off, Beauden Barrett can fit right in.

Midfield (edge â€" All Blacks)

South Africa have a national treasure: the classy, big, opportunistic, safe-as-houses Jean de Villiers.
But they have defensively-questionable JJ Engelbrecht at 13, with super-young Jan Serfontein as the replacement.
The All Blacks have their own national treasure, Conrad Smith, who just doesn’t make mistakes in Tests, and Ma’a Nonu, the barbarian, in a combination that is balanced and ultra-dangerous.
I think Francis Saili looks even better than Nonu, but probably isn’t ready for this cauldron yet.
De Villiers knows how to corral Nonu (you tackle him high, not low); but I think Engelbrecht will struggle to contain Conrad’s darts and passes to the wing.
The Boks can be punctured directly in the middle, if a key tackle is missed, or if Carter can kick behind the defensive line.
This is where Engelbrecht’s inexperience may hurt South Africa. On the other hand, I think JJ has a big pace advantage on Conrad, as well as size.
This could decide the whole thing; but you’d have to give New Zealand the edge, here. Oh, how Jaque Fourie is missed.

The back three (edge â€" All Blacks)
The All Blacks trot out dangerous Julian Savea (how can he be that strong and fast?) and try-poacher Ben Smith on the wings, and the best fullback in the world, Israel Dagg. It’s hard to imagine any back three being better.
South Africa has an argument that Bryan Habana will be the best wing on the field, but the remainder of their back three, Zane Kirchner and Willie le Roux cannot make a similar claim.
I would rather have the fine footballer Pat Lambie start at 15, because I think Carter will cross the field with long, intelligently angled kicks. But Kirchner probably won’t let his side down.
He just cannot really make New Zealand pay for bad kicks.
All of South Africa believes in the magic of le Roux. The stage is set for him to become a legend, by lighting up dark Eden Park. But until we see that, the superb Dagg makes the All Blacks better in this group.

3. Game Plan
An arm-wrestle, with smashing force from big ball-carriers, and pressurised punts high in the sky for 40-50 minutes. A moment of magic.
A couple of errors by the home side, or a sliver of a chance for the clinical Boks. A maul close to the line. A 45-meter penalty. This is the basic plan. And it is the right plan.
Getting into a 35-32 shootout with New Zealand is a crapshoot that the Boks usually lose. A 17-6 or 20-9 score line, with a lot of line-outs and scrums, is what the Boks want and need.

4. Coaching

Nobody has coaches as good as New Zealand. Their scrum coach is superb. Their attack gurus really understand space and mismatches. Their head coach is obviously great at man management.
In contrast, South Africa’s coaching is rarely up to the standard of its incredible players.
Meyer may not be a technical genius. But he brings passion and belief and no shame in South African rugby philosophy.
The players absolutely love him. The Bok coaching team is not as good as New Zealand’s, but it is so much better than its predecessors. This is almost a wash, now.

5. Young, Old, and Hungry

Seven Bok players in the match day squad for Brisbane were 23 or younger. This young and hungry group set a record for a South African win in Australia. They’re so young, they don’t believe in statistics or history.
But South Africa also has grizzled veterans on the team, like de Villiers, Habana, Pienaar, the du Plessis brothers, and the late bloomer Vermuelen.
There are five or six potential captains in the team; Louw captains Bath, Strauss leads the Cheetahs, Pienaar has captained Ulster, Bismarck has been Sharks captain, and Vermuelen has led the Stormers.
The wonderful thing is that guys like Habana run, and chase, and tackle as hard now, as ever.

Prediction
This Bok team will lay siege to Eden Park, and colour it green and gold; and win fame with their valor.
South Africa 17 New Zealand 9

@ Kapo O Pango

That is a pretty decent article. I agree whole heartedly with everything until we get to the back three and down.

I know there will be biaseness, and let's agree to disagree regarding Savea and Habana. But Willie le Roux IMHO is the exact same type of player as Ben Smith, with Willie being a little bit faster. Izzy Dagg is miles ahead of Zane, but Zane is solid in defence.

As for the Coaching. I think HM and his team is just as technical as the NZ coaching team. But what many writers, especially from abroad are missing, is that HM's main focus is to let the Boks play the traditional Springbok way. And I think there will be little doubt that they have shown this year that is works very well indeed.