• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2013 TRC] New Zealand vs South Africa in Auckland (14/09/2013)

lol
and boy, just finished watching the NZ ARG match. Argies kept NZ try-less for a loooong time in the 2nd half, didn't break during the last 20min, excellent sign. The scrums though, NZ got flat out pushed back on at least 3 occasions, with other good pushes too.
SA may have a good day in the scrum in Auckland, better than we think.

Oui. Nice to see you are coming around..

That reminds me, can you tell me anything about rugby in Nice? I love the city. Maybe if I decided to leave SA if it got a bit too hot for me. I can't see myself living in England, Aus or the US like most of our ex-pats. I could possibly do NZ but it just looks too cold.

That reminds me, can you tell me anything about rugby in Nice? I love the city. Maybe if I decided to leave SA if it got a bit too hot for me. I can't see myself living in England, Aus or the US like most of our ex-pats. I could possibly do NZ but it just looks too cold.

haha. So you play ? Well I know Nice pretty well but couldn't tell you about Rugby there...typically, you'd have to go Toulouse's way, Southwest is the place for Rugby in France, not Southeast, but there is some around here too..they definitely have a club in Nice. Other than that, there are pros and cons living in Nice of course..but we're off-topic, so PM me if you need info.

Thank god winter has passed. I lost many a friend to the the winter gods, they were merciful this year - tis' was a quiet reaping.

South Africa: 15-Zane Kirchner, 14-Willie le Roux, 13-JJ Engelbrecht, 12-Jean de Villiers (captain), 11-Bryan Habana, 10-Morne Steyn, 9-Ruan Pienaar, 8-Duane Vermeulen, 7-Willem Alberts, 6-Francois Louw, 5-Flip van der Merwe, 4-Eben Etzebeth, 3-Jannie du Plessis, 2-Bismarck du Plessis, 1-Tendai Mtawarira

Replacements: 16-Adriaan Strauss, 17-Gurthro Steenkamp, 18-Coenie Oosthuizen, 19-Juandre Kruger, 20-Siya Kolisi, 21-Jano Vermaak, 22-Pat Lambie, 23-Jan Serfontein.

Looking forward to this game a lot. Expect the Boks to dominate in the scrums and us to have the edge in back play. Hoping for a close game. Best part of it is South Africa look very strong this year which is always good, good for rugby and good for New Zealand.

Looking forward to this game a lot. Expect the Boks to dominate in the scrums and us to have the edge in back play. Hoping for a close game. Best part of it is South Africa look very strong this year which is always good, good for rugby and good for New Zealand.

You know, I never quite get that. And it was said last week too. That the Boks will dominate up front, and the Wallabies/All Blacks will have the edge in the Backs...

That too me doesn't work. If your forwards don't perform and give your backs good front foot ball, then your backs are constantly under pressure, and can't gain advantage, unless the opposing team misses tackles.

You know, I never quite get that. And it was said last week too. That the Boks will dominate up front, and the Wallabies/All Blacks will have the edge in the Backs...

That too me doesn't work. If your forwards don't perform and give your backs good front foot ball, then your backs are constantly under pressure, and can't gain advantage, unless the opposing team misses tackles.

Yeah I get what you mean. However I said we'd get dominated in the scrums. I still think we'll do well enough at the breakdown to get front foot ball. It only takes one or two players to get over the advantage line and quick ruck ball for the backs to get the front foot ball they need.

Good to see some continuity and hope Kirchner carries on improving though I would still prefer to see Taute get a shot at 15 when he is back to fitness particularly with him being based in France now. Pity Ludik decided to push off to France as well but I can't blame him as he has been very unlucky to get overlooked by HM.

Looking past this RC I really hope we scale down on the number of overseas based players. Guys like Heinrich Brussow, Jaco Taute, Johan Goosen and such. The problem for me is at 9 and on the wing. At 9 all of FdP, Vermaak, Kockott and Pienaar are based overseas and Hougaard is off form. On the wing I think Le Roux could very well remain at 14 and I can't see any of the other wings in SA as test class so maybe bring in one of Habana or JPP or shift someone like Engelbrecht or De Allende to the wing where they have played the majority of their rugby in any case if not at top flight.

JP Pietersen the is returning to the Sharks for the Super Rugby season. He's only having a 6 month-stint in Japan.

yeh I know. But I'm saying NZ have a clear advantage there. SA hasn't looked scary on attack in "big games" for a while. I know they've scored a bunch of tries against Italy, Samoa and more recently Argentina at home, but though they had a few against Australia the other day they were struggling on attack. It was due to lapses from Australia on defense that SA got those tries. Habana never looked threatening..I'm just saying, SA could improve a lot in that department, as especially for this match-up I think they sure could use some good backs play. The forwards and scrums and rucks may not be enough.
yip i'm with you, AUS made SA look good... I'm disappointed at AUS really... don't know what is going on in the AUSSY camp... I just hope it not raining in AUCKLAND so that we can see a running game from NZ, anyone got an update on the weather for Saturday???

I hope AB's to perform Kapa O Pango on this match, if they don't, then it would be weird. What match could be more important nowadays for them? They got no excuse now :)

Last edited:
I hope AB's to perform Kapa O Pango on this match, if they don't it would be weird. What match could be more important nowadays for them? They got no excuse now :)

I don't really mind which Haka they do, just as long as they do it...

It will be Jan Serfontein, Siya Kolisi and Willie le Roux's first time facing off to the Haka...

I don't really mind which Haka they do, just as long as they do it...

It will be Jan Serfontein, Siya Kolisi and Willie le Roux's first time facing off to the Haka...

Yeah not really a big deal for me too, but they haven't done it since a while now and I kinda miss it haha

Have New Zealand ever lost a match they did the Kapa O Pango for?

That's maybe why they haven't done it yet...

Actually the last time they used it was against France this year, in the third test to be exactly.

Last edited by a moderator:
yip i'm with you, AUS made SA look good... I'm disappointed at AUS really... don't know what is going on in the AUSSY camp... I just hope it not raining in AUCKLAND so that we can see a running game from NZ, anyone got an update on the weather for Saturday???

Yes, Australia made SA look good, Englnd has made SA look good, Argentina, Samoa and Italy has made SA look good. What is up with all these supposedly good teams that they had made SA look good over the last year!!

Latest posts