• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2013 TRC] New Zealand vs. Australia in Wellington (24/08/2013)

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Taylor starts the game, this guy is very lucky. We'll see if he takes the opportunity...

have to admit im surprised, would have thought 10 tests plus combining with his super rugby half back and second five would have given Slade a huge advantage....

Really surprised by this as well, I can only assume that either Taylor performed very strongly in camp during the week or Slade was very poor. Perhaps doubts about Slade's kicking compared to the metronomic boot possessed by Taylor also played a part.

Either way, I'm excited to see how they both do. I'm a big Slade fan and am intrigued as to how Taylor will turn out.

has to be goal kicking, there is a big difference between a 60-70% goal kicker and an 80-90% goal kicker

pretty sure on these boards somewhere I picked Taylor would be an all blacks after I watched his first game of ITM cup, I do think his style in combination with the best players in NZ will suit test footy as well.

but this is some debut, getting 10min off the bench against a Northern Hemisphere side or Argentina is one thing. Starting a Bledisloe cup game at 10 is something else. The selectors must have faith in him and honestly I would as well.

Players around him need to take some of the pressure. Wont be good to go to him the way the All Blacks go to carter, carter plays first receiver for a big chunk of the ball. Others need to step in and Smith needs to be really smart about who he passes to and what else is going on because the Aussies will target him for sure, AB's need to turn that against them.

Really surprised by this as well, I can only assume that either Taylor performed very strongly in camp during the week or Slade was very poor. Perhaps doubts about Slade's kicking compared to the metronomic boot possessed by Taylor also played a part.

Either way, I'm excited to see how they both do. I'm a big Slade fan and am intrigued as to how Taylor will turn out.

I'm a bit suprised as well. I actually prefer the choice of Taylor but did think the ABs would have gone with Slades experience.

One of the reasons Taylor had an advantage over Slade is that he had more time in the AB camp than Slade. On top of that as you say, if Taylor performed better in the camp than Slade then maybe the combination of the two gave him an edge. It is certainly a risk, starting a rookie 1/5 in a RC game, but we shoulld at the same time remember it is against a poor OZ team, in a strong AB team and at home. His goal kicking of course would certainly have been a big factor but far from the main reason the ABs would have gone with him. He is no doubt the best place kicker in NZ at 90% and 5 or 6 points is often the difference in top line international rugby but I don't believe that would have been why Taylor got the nod - one of many reasons I'd say. Good luck to him, I look forward to seeing how he goes.

I'll be the first to post here if he has a blinder of a game. But...

Don't screw up, Tom. Just don't screw up.

I think Tom also had an uncle who played 10 for the AB's. His old man played midfield in the 87 World cup.

I think Tom also had an uncle who played 10 for the AB's. His old man played midfield in the 87 World cup.

Yup his uncle is Murray Taylor who played a few tests for the ABs at 10.

Meteoric rise! Sale academy to first team to All Blacks in only a season.

Tommy Taylor, what a guy
168025423-tommy-taylor-of-sale-sharks-in-action-during-gettyimages.jpg

other than slade the only other change is Piutau on the bench and Crotty dropping out. Shame Crotty doen't get another chance. piutau is likely to be a part of the squad for a long time and will get chances, Crotty really needs game time to press his claims and now it seems it may not come unless there is a couple of mid field injuries.

Wallabies camp is very quiet, no team named yet only rumors that Cooper will be benched again.

other than slade the only other change is Piutau on the bench and Crotty dropping out.

Not quite, Thrush in for Romano, Coles for Mealamu and Crockett for Ben Franks.....

Last edited:
other than slade the only other change is Piutau on the bench and Crotty dropping out. Shame Crotty doen't get another chance. piutau is likely to be a part of the squad for a long time and will get chances, Crotty really needs game time to press his claims and now it seems it may not come unless there is a couple of mid field injuries.

Wallabies camp is very quiet, no team named yet only rumors that Cooper will be benched again.

The team was announced a while ago... Only change is Scott Sio coming in for the injured McMenniman.

The team was announced a while ago... Only change is Scott Sio coming in for the injured McMenniman.

Have you got a link for that? I haven't seen the official team yet. Cheers.

Last I heard they were looking at replacing McMenniman with Fardy.

Last edited:
Have you got a link for that? I haven't seen the official team yet. Cheers.

Last I heard they were looking at replacing McMenniman with Fardy.

Whoops I've probably seen the same article as you - Fardy not Sio. Sio's a prop ;)

Just a speculative team based on training.

Yeah that's why I thought it had already been named - the article seemed to imply it had been!

The way it's written (direct quotes from McKenzie), it's likely pretty accurate but I guess we will see today or tomorrow!

Wallabies: Jesse Mogg, Israel Folau, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Christian Lealiifano, James O'Connor, Matt Toomua, Will Genia; Ben Mowen, Michael Hooper, Scott Fardy, James Horwill (capt), Rob Simmons, Ben Alexander, Stephen Moore, James Slipper. Res: Saia Fainga'a, Scott Sio, Sekope Kepu, Kane Douglas, Liam Gill, Nic White, Quade Cooper, Tevita Kuridrani.

just one injury forced change. Well they always say never change a .... side. oh wait.

I dunno, a number of players looked very uncomfortable individually.

I think dropping Falau to 15 and bringing in two actual wingers would have been a good option. Or JoC to 15 and bring in Cummins or someone else.

Latest posts