• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

THE Sharks V Crusaders!!

Is it me, or has every one of the Crusaders tries been scored through an inside pass?

A superb game from both teams, and the perfect game for the first ever excursion for Super Rugby to the NH.

Pretty decent game so far...

If onlt our goal kicking was better, wed be in a much better position

Yeah, 9 points would have at least gotten us an LBP.
Good match, despite the result. I don't think we were as poor as the score makes us look, but still plnety of things to work on.

Mtawarira in for Smit.
Jacobs for Terblanche.
Pietersen for Ndungane.

Looking forward to Deysel's return as well.

So many of their attacks were based off inside passes near the rucks, why didn't the Sharks catch onto that?

A few of Mr. Walsh's calls didn't make sense to me, like that one ruck where not even 2 seconds passed before he blew Kanko for not rolling away

Either way, if we played like that against an other team this weekend,m excluding the Stormers,
we would have thrashed them

Edited for mong speeling

Last edited:
Strong game from both sides... Even though there was some great running rugby, there were some huge battles up front also.

Fantastic advertisement for Super Rugby... At least the Sharks get a bonus point, they deserve it.
Go the Crusaders!!!

....few of Mr. Walsh's calls didn't make sense to me, like that one ruck where not even 2 seconds passed before he blew Kanko for not rolling away

The Law says that players at the tackle must act immediately. Two seconds is not immediately.

I may not expect the player to be completely rolled away within two seconds, but at the very least I expect him to be making the attempt within two seocnds.

I thought Walsh blew an excellent game. The only things saw him miss on the Crusaders side were;

► Carter's forward pass that led to the Crusaders third (?) try,
► the shoulder charge by SBW on Keegan-Daniel (?) - should have been
offyc.gif

Fantastic game and a fantastic spectacle for Super Rugby for any people who have yet to see/witness it. Carter and SB Williams were brilliant in the first half.

My housemate (who doesn't know a lot about Rugby) asked as I was watching the game today why Aviva Premiership/Magners League games we never as good as this was, and why Super Rugby was more of a spectacle in general. I said it was probably due to a combination of SH weather promoting that style of play, general gameplan/style from SH teams, less players committed at the breakdown and probably the fact from a young age they were all encouraged to run with the ball. What do you think the main reasons are that Super Rugby seems to be a lot more expansive and exciting?

Fantastic game and a fantastic spectacle for Super Rugby for any people who have yet to see/witness it. Carter and SB Williams were brilliant in the first half.

My housemate (who doesn't know a lot about Rugby) asked as I was watching the game today why Aviva Premiership/Magners League games we never as good as this was, and why Super Rugby was more of a spectacle in general. I said it was probably due to a combination of SH weather promoting that style of play, general gameplan/style from SH teams, less players committed at the breakdown and probably the fact from a young age they were all encouraged to run with the ball. What do you think the main reasons are that Super Rugby seems to be a lot more expansive and exciting?

I think this has alot to do with it... You don't see many big 'traditional' forwards in Super Rugby these days, especially in the loose. Every player is keen to run the ball, George Whitelock made a great run (although he should've passed), and even the front rowers looked really good with the ball in hand, the Franks brothers and the BEAST had some good runs.

I think this has alot to do with it... You don't see many big 'traditional' forwards in Super Rugby these days, especially in the loose. Every player is keen to run the ball, George Whitelock made a great run (although he should've passed), and even the front rowers looked really good with the ball in hand, the Franks brothers and the BEAST had some good runs.
Aye, despite having some HUGE players, Super XV often looks like 7s but with 15 players

Possibly the best game of the Super Rugby season so far, because of the way the Sharks came back after that great start by the Crusaders

My only complaint is one more converted try would have given me the points in my picking comp :)

Dan Carter, only 22 points, a try, no missed kicks ... a bit more effort eh :D

SBW, apparently you can kick during general play as well ... if you use your arms in the tackles son, you would have come close to a perfect game :D

SBW also took out his own team-mate in the play after he shoulder-charged Kanko

great game, glad I got up and watched it.

Crucaders were always going to be too good but the sharks showed up that's for sure.

Sonny Bill had a good game. his "sholder charge" was on kankowski I think while he shouldn't tackle like that it was more of a "check" than a sholder charge and he did actually use his arms. To me it looked like he checked the player with his body and went for the ball with his arms & hands. Still a bit of a worry if he is still doing that when things get tough on field because come world cup time refs are a lot tougher and that could end up a yellow card.

Pretty much a 10/10 performance fron dan carter. kickoff, goal kicking, distribution, running, everything.

Fruen was a bit quiet, one nice quick pass to put away a try but was unsighted for alot of the game till he went off.

Crockett has really been impressive this season. You can see that he has been hungry this year and he really is putting his hand up for AB selection. I hate cory flynn but I also acknowledge when the players I hate are in good form & playing well and he is looking good right now. Looks physically in the best shape I've ever seen him.

Really impressed with Brad Thorn. He really put a big effort in. Matt Todd seemed to turn up everywhere. This kid has to be one of the front runners with Thompson to backup McCaw though it would be a big call to debut a rookie in such an important position during a world cup year.

Guildford & Maitland put on a real show, Dagg as well, but for dagg though it seems a few handeling errors have been the difference between the ok start to the season he has had and what could have been a spectacular start to the season.

Big win for the crucaders but at what cost? Kieran Read, Dan Carter and Sam Whitelock all in bad shape. Apart from not having McCaw and missing guildford for a couple of games they have had a good run. But these three guys are all world class and at the tip of their game.

Sonny Bill had a good game. his "sholder charge" was on kankowski I think while he shouldn't tackle like that it was more of a "check" than a sholder charge and he did actually use his arms. To me it looked like he checked the player with his body and went for the ball with his arms & hands. Still a bit of a worry if he is still doing that when things get tough on field because come world cup time refs are a lot tougher and that could end up a yellow card.

Straight up shoulder charge,
Looks like he forgot that he didn't pull on his Bulldogs jersey before going onto the pitch - that'd make a highlights reel in League, but as it stands, he should've been off the pitch

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts