• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Crusaders V Bulls

It would be great for NZ rugby. I really think Dagg could take over from Carter as NZs next world class first five, it makes so much sense especially with the depth at fullback we have.. For some reason though i can't see Dagg agreeing to the switch, he seems like the kind of guy that wants to run around with the pill and isnt after the responsibility that comes with the 10 jersey.
I'm not yet convinced about Dagg as a first-five, but I do think it will be worth a try at some stage. The main issue I have with him is that when he gets the ball he tends to forget he has 14 team-mates and just has a go himself - sometimes this comes of with stunning effect (e.g. that try versus South Africa), but sometimes he will waste and overlap and just go for the glory himself. He can certainly create something out of nothing at first-receiver, the real question is whether or not he can run a backline, which we will probably not know until he's given a chance...

Go Bulle!!! Without Carter's kicking game the Saders could struggle against a Bulls Pack and halfback pairing that are moving back to form.
I don't think the Crusaders lose too much in having Berquist rather than Carter in terms of their kicking game, as Berquist has a very good kicking game (both general field kicking and goal-kicking). The rest of Berquist's game is nowhere in the same league as Carters, but he does kick pretty well.

Some really interesting match-ups here. Botha and Matfield v Thorn and Jack will be interesting - I would have loved to have seen Sam Whitelock get another chance to match-up against the South African duo, but I suppose we will have to wait until the Tri-nations. It will be a good chance for Chris Jack to show whether or not he is still up to international rugby. Also looking forward to seeing how Todd goes against another strong loose-forward trio.

Looking forward to the battle between the outside backs as well, as both teams have plenty of pace out wide.

Last edited:
I'm not yet convinced about Dagg as a first-five, but I do think it will be worth a try at some stage. The main issue I have with him is that when he gets the ball he tends to forget he has 14 team-mates and just has a go himself - sometimes this comes of with stunning effect (e.g. that try versus South Africa), but sometimes he will waste and overlap and just go for the glory himself. He can certainly create something out of nothing at first-receiver, the real question is whether or not he can run a backline, which we will probably not know until he's given a chance...

Im really just impressed with his raw skill set for the position. He also looked pretty impressive when he stepped into first reciever at the Highlanders, when he decided to run the backline he did it really well (He always seems to have so much time which is a rare and valuable skill to have, he normally put this to use with his running but there were flashes where he could get the backline firing).
But again what you have said is very true. I think he is capable of acheiving great things at 10 but its really down to his personal commitment and desire to work hard and put the team first.

I think everyone agrees that Dagg has the potential to be deadly from anywhere but he hasn't shown it as much this season. He's got a great boot from play and the tee, great stepping ability and good running and strength. If anything one can say that the team has become too reliant on SBW to make the opportunities, like in the Blues game where they just kind of gave up whereas in every other game, they've been able to strike from anywhere.

Also excited to see how Todd goes up against more Springbok forwards. He's been able to front against Thomson, Waugh, Braid, Alberts and other quality players but SA forwards tend to bring a physicality above those of other nations. And the Bulls like to bring their own brand of forward play that only the Crusaders, STormers, Sharks and other top teams can deal with. I don't think Jack will have a problem slotting in even if we lose the presence of Whitelock, and I think his abilities at the break down will allow Read more room to be effective on offence. IF it's anything like last years, should be a great game.

The Bulls playing away makes it so difficult to predict them as winners. Being a Bulls supporter I would love nothing more to see the Bulls win tomorrow against the best of the best. The Bulls haven’t hit their straps yet, just hope that everything works out accordingly for them. I know that if they hit their form early and give it their all for that momentum then it’s going to be a game to will go down in the records.

Good luck to both teams and I know no matter what that the best team on the day will win. Hope their won’t be any serious injuries to either side because it’s going to be very physical.:)<O:p</O:p

Got the feeling Bulls are getting their minds right, again; and when they do that they are very dangerous.

Got the feeling Bulls are getting their minds right, again; and when they do that they are very dangerous.

Even if they have their minds right, they still can't match the dynamism of the Crusaders, which as the SHarks showed, will lose you the game no matter how well you play against them. I wouldn't call the Bulls victory over the Canes as a sign of revival. IF they beat the Crusaders tonight, you can say they're back but the chances of that is fairly slim.

Last edited:
Deon Stegmann is an idiot...

Corey Flynn damn you I knew I should never have picked you in my fantasy team...:mad:

Haha, Bulls got raped

The Crusaders are due a run of bad games, hopefully at the end of the season

Sad thing for the Bulls is that the Crusaders weren't even playing that well and should have finished off a couple of trys not to mention all the missed kicks. Can't see how PDV is putting so much faith into that style of play with those players we saw tonight as it's nucleus.

Sad thing for the Bulls is that the Crusaders weren't even playing that well and should have finished off a couple of trys not to mention all the missed kicks. Can't see how PDV is putting so much faith into that style of play with those players we saw tonight as it's nucleus.

That's because he's an idiot.

And also because this is the style of rugby that wins you WCs...Ask the Kiwis...

The Crusaders took the right game plan into this game and executed it perfectly.

Don't tackle them high up, where they get a chance to keep the ball up high and create a rolling maul; tackle them low, bring them to the ground and then canes their arses at the breakdown.

It almost completely negated the Bulls' tactic of having two players linked together; you bring the first one down, and the second one goes with him, on the wrong side of the tackle and with the current law interpretations, that second player has to get his arse out of there real quick, otherwise ...ping!!

A lot of team coaches will be analysing what the Crusaders did tonight, and will see it as a blueprint for nullifying the Bulls' strengths.

Gutted I missed this game, stuck in the library on a Saturday is not the way to go. What was the Crusaders performance like? SBW go well ooooorrrrrr?

Gutted I missed this game, stuck in the library on a Saturday is not the way to go. What was the Crusaders performance like? SBW go well ooooorrrrrr?

He scored the opening try, and went pretty well.

To me, it looked like they played as well as they needed to. The "nil" tells you what the defence was like.

He scored the opening try, and went pretty well.

To me, it looked like they played as well as they needed to. The "nil" tells you what the defence was like.

To be honest there was A LOT of unforced errors...I don't think the Crusaders have played at 100% for a whole game yet. They're becoming a "wave" team, as opposed to the ruthless demolition team of the years before.

Latest posts