• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

THE Sharks V Crusaders!!

I think there will be a lot of pressure on Sunday's match. 'Saders victory will give them some space after the false start this season. Also players like Carter told the press and fans they will play very attractive rugby. They now have to cope with high expectations.

Besides that, I think Crusaders are the better team. Played well last weeks. Lots of tries and highly effective. There's no ref, Lambie or other player that can change that. The only way the Sharks can win this, is by playing as one strong collective. Any weak link in Sharks defense will by fatal.

Anyhow, it's a great opportonity to show the world the beauty of Super Rugby!

Weather indicators reckon Sunday to be good for running rugby. Approx 10 degrees, no rain. Crusaders are going to love it!

Why everyone so on about lambie being out...he has been amazing for The Sharks because he does not make many errors; but JLP can be even more of a gamebreaker than patty. JLP kicks futher than lambie, plus is also a better runner than Lambie in terms of pace...did play 13 for Bulls last year for a few games; and he has also won many games for Cheetahs with his last 20 minute drop goals...it is all the question weather he can do ut on the day...he is a bit on and off; but rugby is won in the forwards and i feel The Sharks have a very strong pack. Crusaders also have good pack, but not quite as strong...weak link for me is Cory, whitelock (6) and Todd, yes they have their moments, but they are not super consistent. Whitehead the looseforward really struggles against the physical SA sides and Crusaders will be banking on SBW for some go forward ball. I have looked at all the aspects and i truly believe The Sharks will win it.

Prediction:

The Crusaders are going to experience pressure that they have not had yet this season, and i would beat that Ellis is going to have Mcloed and Keegan Daniel all over his back all day and this will effect the dangerous backs of the Crusaders. The winning aspect for the Sharks will be putting presure on Crusaders, eg. Good ball retention and a strong maul and a organised rush defence. The Sharks are gonna take the win. Will take a hugely commited effort though.

If you think Todd is going to be a weak link, you are going to be in for a surprise! Many considered he was unlucky not to make the AB's end of year tour squad last year, and he has continued that strong form through this Super Rugby season. He has been clearly the best performed openside flanker playing for NZ franchises so far this season in my mind (followed by Scott Waldrom).

I personally don't think the Sharks have any advantage in the forwards. The Sharks may have a slight advantage in the front row - Bismark du Plessis is clearly superior to Corey Flynn, but I think Owen Franks and Ben Franks/Crockett are certainly a match for Jannie du Plessis and Smit. The Crusaders have the two incumbant All Black locks in Brad Thorn and Sam Whitelock, while the Sharks two locks (Sykes and Hargreaves) are good players, but not in the same class. I think the Crusaders have an advantage in the loose-forwards as well - Alberts is probably a better player than George Whitelock (though Whitelock has played well the last two weeks), but I'd have Todd over Daniel, and Read over Kankowski any day. It really depends on how they play as a combination, but man-for-man I'd probably suggest the Crusdaders have a better pack than the Sharks!

If you think Todd is going to be a weak link, you are going to be in for a surprise! Many considered he was unlucky not to make the AB's end of year tour squad last year, and he has continued that strong form through this Super Rugby season. He has been clearly the best performed openside flanker playing for NZ franchises so far this season in my mind (followed by Scott Waldrom).

I personally don't think the Sharks have any advantage in the forwards. The Sharks may have a slight advantage in the front row - Bismark du Plessis is clearly superior to Corey Flynn, but I think Owen Franks and Ben Franks/Crockett are certainly a match for Jannie du Plessis and Smit. The Crusaders have the two incumbant All Black locks in Brad Thorn and Sam Whitelock, while the Sharks two locks (Sykes and Hargreaves) are good players, but not in the same class. I think the Crusaders have an advantage in the loose-forwards as well - Alberts is probably a better player than George Whitelock (though Whitelock has played well the last two weeks), but I'd have Todd over Daniel, and Read over Kankowski any day. It really depends on how they play as a combination, but man-for-man I'd probably suggest the Crusdaders have a better pack than the Sharks!

Cut it out, Todd is so overrated it isn't funny. Waldrom, Thomson have been miles better, and Braid was in better form until he got injured. Todd is a decent player but he gets so much extra credit purely because he is a Crusader. He had an ok ITM Cup but nothing spectacular. Given the Sharks pack couldn't top the Chiefs pack then it doesn't bode well against the Crusaders though, the Crusaders backs are leagues ahead. Unless the Sharks forwards can dominate the game (which I can't see happening) then the Crusaders will be too clinical for them.

Cut it out, Todd is so overrated it isn't funny. Waldrom, Thomson have been miles better, and Braid was in better form until he got injured. Todd is a decent player but he gets so much extra credit purely because he is a Crusader. He had an ok ITM Cup but nothing spectacular. Given the Sharks pack couldn't top the Chiefs pack then it doesn't bode well against the Crusaders though, the Crusaders backs are leagues ahead. Unless the Sharks forwards can dominate the game (which I can't see happening) then the Crusaders will be too clinical for them.

You are entitled to your opinion, but I think Todd will be very close to making the RWC squad. Thomson has been outstanding, however apart from last week Thomson has played almost exclusively at blindside flank, so I don't compare his performances with other NZ openside flankers (and incidenty when he did shift to openside last week he was probably outplayed by Todd!). Daniel Braid has been largely anonymous in the few Super Rugby games he played this year, and while I do agree Waldrom has been impressive, I don't think he's been as good as Todd. It has nothing to do with the fact he is a Crusader, it's simply the fact he is playing some fantastic rugby!

Weather looks perfect. Wonder what the Sharks will do, if they try and play expansively I can see them getting absolutely smashed in the midfield.

It will be interesting for sure, none of the SA teams have impressive attacking backlines compared to the Kiwis, but defensively the Sharks were very good against the Blues.

You are entitled to your opinion, but I think Todd will be very close to making the RWC squad. Thomson has been outstanding, however apart from last week Thomson has played almost exclusively at blindside flank, so I don't compare his performances with other NZ openside flankers (and incidenty when he did shift to openside last week he was probably outplayed by Todd!). Daniel Braid has been largely anonymous in the few Super Rugby games he played this year, and while I do agree Waldrom has been impressive, I don't think he's been as good as Todd. It has nothing to do with the fact he is a Crusader, it's simply the fact he is playing some fantastic rugby!

Thomson + McCaw + Read = no ball for the oppostion at the breakdown

Also I agree with you, Todd is more than capable at filling in McCaw's boots, maybe not quite RWC squad standard but not to far away

The Crusaders are going to experience pressure that they have not had yet this season

And you think the Waratahs didn't pressure them in the early parts of that match. I was there, I saw the pressure, and I saw the concerned looks on Crusader faces. I also saw how they dealt with the pressure, and overcame it.

...and i would beat that Ellis is going to have McLeod and Keegan Daniel all over his back all day and this will effect the dangerous backs of the Crusaders.

If that happens (and I seriously doubt it will, because the Crusaders loosies wont let that happen) then they will bring on Kahn Fotoali'i, who will be all over McLeod like a rash.

The Sharks were very lucky not to suffer an embarrassing loss to the easy-beat Rebels two weeks back; pure luck of the bounce won them a game they should have lost. Then they copped a severe reality check in losing to a very ordinary Chiefs outfit last week. I for one will be very surprised if the even Sharks get close, let alone win.

All the talking done...just wait for Sunday and we will see. I know The Sharks will come out on top...if they don't i won't post anywhere else, but The Sharks Thread...how's that for a deal...

I know the Crusaders will win this, I am that realistic but I do hope for a miracle

Crusaders team finally named:

Crusaders: 15 Israel Dagg, 14 Sean Maitland, 13 Robbie Fruean, 12 Sonny Bill Williams, 11 Zac Guildford, 10 Dan Carter, 9 Andy Ellis, 8 Kieran Read, 7 Matt Todd, 6 George Whitelock, 5 Sam Whitelock, 4 Brad Thorn, 3 Owen Franks, 2 Corey Flynn, 1 Wyatt Crockett.
Replacements: 16 Quentin MacDonald, 17 Ben Franks, 18 Chris Jack, 19 Jonathan Poff, 20 Kahn Fotuali'i, 21 Matt Berquist, 22 Adam Whitelock.

Two changes from last week, with the props again rotating (Crockett in for Ben Franks), and Guildford getting his first start of the season on the left wing after recovering from a hamstring injury.

I am hoping for the Crusaders to win this one...

Anyone going?

I am!!! Leaving tomorrow night on the Stena Line ferry from Hoek van Holland to Harwich... I am so freakin' happy!!! Maybe some TRF-people we can meet at the stadium before hand? Small TRF meeting maybe?

Yeah that would be good, we need to sort a time and place out, I need to collect my media pass from the rfu but that's it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know Twickenham that well. Please let me know where to meet (in front of which entrance) and I will be there. Only able to read TRF until 21:00 GMT tonight

Sent you a PM Mate with my Mobile Number in and what time I am planning on getting up there...

RFU announce they have sold 31,590 tickets for the SupeRugby game and are hoping for a crowd of 40,000, short of the break even figure

While that's not the greatest amount of people, considering it was only anounced two weeks or so in advance it's mighty impressive

I would have thought they'd have sold much more than that to be honest.

Didn't they sell the first 30 000 in the first 30 hours anyway, so basically they've had no more sales after the first day or two of sales ?
Tickets are mighty expensive though, about as much as you would pay for a Springbok game (actually at Newlands you can get Springbok tickets for even cheaper, not the best seats, but still).

The price for tickets was ok, it just the transport that makes it a bit expensive.

Latest posts