• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super Rugby: Blues vs. Stormers in Albany (03/05/2013)

Like a few of the other games this weekend I'm picking this to be very tight. I feel the Blues should attempt to target he Stormers lineout, as they certainly have the personal to do it (Williams, Retallick, and Luatua are all excellent jumpers), and disrupting the Stormers lineout is one of the keys to beating the Stormers in my opinion.

Both teams have plenty of firepower out wide - unfortunately the Stormers don't really like to use theirs! Getting through the rock-tight Stormers defense is certainly going to be a challenge for the Blues, but I feel they could do this as the likes of Ranger, Piuatu and Halai can strike from anywhere with their pace and power. Overall I'm picking the Blues by 5, based almost solely on their home-ground advantage.

Last edited:
Its crazy it seems like there's always more South African supporters over here than Auckland supporters

Stormers very unlucky not to be awarded a try there. To me it looked like the ball was touching the tryline....

It has been pretty close so far. Some aimless kicking from the Stormers, but the Blues haven't taken full advantage of it. The Blues are making good ground close to the breakdown though, and Piutau looks very dangerous...

Bad news for the Blues with Mealamu off - he had been playing well too.

Storm forwards are real good

Yep. It makes you wonder why they give it to their backs ;)

EDIT: The Blues are lucky Pietersen is having a poor match!

Last edited:
Luke Braid has been very good at the breakdown so far!

Ball retention is not the same as last weeks for us, hope we settle into that

HT: 9-3 to the Blues. I'm sure the Blues will be happy with the score, as I think the Stormers have probably been the better team in the first half, though the Blues defense has been outstanding.

The Stormers have kicked a lot of ball - some of the kicking has been good (Halai has dropped a few balls), but the Stormers 9 needs to get a bit more distance on his kicks!

Should be a good second half...

The Stormers have to be the most arrogant team on this competition. Ive said it before and il say it again, players that love to fight shouldnt be in the Boks squad and the Stormers players are the ones that enjoy fighting the most from a south african point of view. We've seen like 5 fights already this game and i forgot how many last weekend against the Hurricanes, there were a lot of fights there too, or scuffles whatever u wanna call them!!

Prime Suspects:
1.Duane Vermualen
2.Eben Etzebeth
3.Deon Fourie
4.Riaan Elstardt
5.De Kock Steenkamp
6.Tiaan Liebenberg

IN that order too!!!

Last edited:
good ending, storm needed more persistance with their forward drives but good for us :)

The Blues finally close out a game!

Well done Blues AND stormers/JDV has always been one of my faves. Legend that bloke. ****ing the only reason the y were in it (and that defence of course - which he probably organised).

Good discipline Blues, and no stupid penalties in that 25+ phases. :D No replacements either. Best game of the season for me so far.

Again, GREAT game Stormers and Blues. :

Great ending!
Wasn't blown away by the first half, but second made up for it!

Can't blame Jantjies for that one, Blues weren't giving the Stormers anything.

Latest posts